Start by marking “A Teenager's Journey: Overcoming a Childhood of Abuse” as Want to Read:
A Teenager's Journey: Overcoming a Childhood of Abuse

A Teenager's Journey: Overcoming a Childhood of Abuse

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  466 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Many thousands of readers were moved by Richard B. Pelzer's heart-wrenching memoir, A Brother's Journey, in which he detailed the horrifyingly abusive childhood he endured at the hands of his mother, whose treatment of her children was first revealed by Dave Pelzer in his own hugely successful memoir, A Boy Called "It". Now, Richard reveals how the abuse inflicted on him a...more
Published December 21st 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Teenager's Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Teenager's Journey

Crystal
The Pelzer brothers have lead a hard life full of emotional and physical abuse. To show for it, they have written many books and have come out with amazing strength and wisdom. This book talks about Richard Pelzer's life during his teenage years and beyond, how he has fought with his self to let go and forgive his mother, and how to become a successful adult at the age of 30.
I thought it went around in circles a bit, but its a good book to read, you'll learn a lot. I would recommend an earlier...more
Jean Cable
I thought he could have done a much better writing job, but it was a sad story.
Matt
This book really moved me. It was very difficult to fathom that a mother who would abuse her own son in that way!! The book narrates the real life experience of the author Richard Pelzner, who survived what is now known as the one of the worst cases of child abuse in San Franscisco. The author writes about his experiments with drugs, emotionless physical relationships with girls and toying with the idea of killing himself more than once.

Despite the dark, haunting theme, the book stands out as a...more
Amanda
Wow. What a powerful book. I don't really know what I was expecting to read when I ran across this book. It helped me more than anything understand people with a drug problem. I have never been involved in or even around it so I really enjoyed the look into what people go through and what kind of help I can be to those involved with drugs. I don't know how his Mom could be so abusive to him. I get emotional watching my son struggle at ANYTHING. I can't imagine being the cause of that struggle wh...more
Christian Singer
I highly recommend Richard Pelzer's A Teenager's Journey for those who struggle with drug or alcohol addiction, anyone who cares about an addict, anyone who feels lost and directionless and purposeless. It's just such a good read. If you like good books, get your hands on this one!

Richard's ups and downs in overcoming his addiction and the pain and suffering he endured captures readers' attention. I never had a drug addiction, but I'm ashamed to admit how much of his thinking sounds like things...more
Laren
Unlike his brother Dave Pelzer's books, this isn't a graphic tale of abuse ending in imperfect triumph. Rather it is more about his journey to adulthood, which took the author longer than most due to his difficult childhood. There aren't any inspiriational plaudits or how-to instructions here, which only makes the tale all the more scary on how he got to where he is today.
Tim
I was extremely let down by this book. I read it when I was working with children who had experienced abuse and trauma. It seemed like the author spent more time justifying his actions and venting then he did telling his story.
steph
There was a lot of depiction of drugs and alochol and sex in this story while Richard was a teen/young man which wasn't unexpected after the hell Richard went through at home but still not my cup of tea. I thought the conversation he had with his mother when he was 18 or so, when she couldn't recall just how abusive she was to her sons was so well done because it's so true to life. Richard could recall every terror of fear his mother installed in him while his mother, with her years of heavy dri...more
Mint
honestly I wasn't moved by this at all. Talks about drugs, booze..doesn't sound too inspiring
Sharon
Good, but I found myself drifting at times, bit repetative at times.
LaRae Mikulecky
What a powerful book.
Tomo
Dec 06, 2007 Tomo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book is about abused little boy turning to a man by going through harsh life. It is true story written by Richard B. Pelzer, the main character himself. If you are unhappy with your life, maybe this is the right book to read. At first, it makes you very depressed and sad, but when you finish reading it, you will find your life very successful and blessed.
Since his elder brother left the house, Richard was his own mother’s target to abuse. He never felt love from his mother even though he...more
Janet
I had to skim through a lot of this book. It was so repetitive and most of the repetition was, then maybe justifiable, excuses for slipping back and slipping back again.
The novels of his brother, Dave, moved along much better. Maybe because I hadn't previously heard the story of horrific abuse.
Also one thing that Richard never really fesses up to is how he contributed to David's abuse.
I found this unconscionable.
Siobhan Ryan
The author, Richard Pelzer, is the brother of David Pelzer who authored the Child Called “It” series. This is the true story of the life of abuse and self destruction he lived after his brother David was moved into foster care. Most of the story is his about the horrible treatment received from his mother and his struggle with drug abuse and potential suicide. He knows that the life of drug abuse is wrong and hopes for someone to trust and help him. After several tries with sobriety, he finally...more
Jodi
speechless to the most outstanding commitment for life, freedom, love and triumph...all the little things society take for granted that seemed impossible for these beautiful brothers
Carolus
buku ini mencatat rentetan kejadian mengerikan dalam proses menuju kedewasaan yang dialami Richard Pelzer. mas aekcilnya hancur akibat siksaan keji dari ibunya yang alkoholik dan mengidap gangguan jiwa. masa muda Richard pun kian kacau ketika ia mulai mengenal dan menggunakan alkohol, narkobam dan melakukan seks bebas. gejolak emosi membara. keinginan untk bunuh diri pun menggelagar dalam dirinya ....
Richard Pelzer had a troubled adolescence; he dealt with his traumatic childhood by turning to alcohol, drugs and sex. He overcomes this by finding his true self, with the aid of a number of people who really did put the time and effort in to help this troubled youth. It makes you really appreciative of great friends and family.
Jessy
Have you read A Child Called It? This book is about the story of Dave's brother when Dave was taken out of their home. Shocking details that the monster that was their mother was also LDS. But you should read A Brother's Journey before you read A Teenager's Journey.
Lucas
Nov 10, 2008 Lucas rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the people who read a brothers journey and to the people who read david pelzers 3 books.
It was really good.I really enjoyed it. but i didnt like all the parts that mentioned him doing countless drugs, a handful of motionless sex. my mom says that everyone single part was good! XD well i dont fully agree with it but yes i loved the book
Ruthann
So heart rending to know how horrible the lives of some people have been. I was so drawn in by the story of this boy and all he had to endure at the hands of his mother. It's amazing he survived the abuse & then the guilt that he carried for so long.
Diane Mueller
I enjoyed A Child Called "It" better than this book. Although this shows that abuse is a hidden disease that can tear a family apart. I've seen this same thing in my own birth family.
Vanessa
I like it a lot indeed. I am just waiting for the last book of the trilogy!
It is good to read about people that overcomes really bad things.
Tina Holland
Really good book. Richard did a great job telling his side of the story. I got a different take on the Pelzer household. Sad but a good read.
Jen
Jun 19, 2008 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers
Shelves: memoirs, students
AS a teacher it made me wonder how many students are going through that but become "unreachable" due to bad behavior or drug addiction.
Dale Stonehouse
While this may be useful for some, I found much of it to be unnecessary. PTSD is not discussed in any form, a major omission.
Andy
Its about a kid who goes through a childhood of abuse and drugs. he does alot alot alot of drugs
Paige
Couldn't finish the damn book becuase a chunk of pages was missing from the middle of it!!
Edward
loved it even more when i found out it was related to a child called it
Jewelz
Jun 26, 2007 Jewelz marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read it yet and I am hoping too so i'll keep you all updated!!
Joleen
A view from the brother of "A Child Called IT" - Dave Pelzer
  • Help Yourself
  • After Silence: Rape & My Journey Back
  • Amarcord: Marcella Remembers
  • Boy No One Loved
  • Crossing Mandelbaum Gate: Coming of Age Between the Arabs & Israelis 1956-78
  • Easter Everywhere
  • Do-Over!: In Which a Forty-Eight-Year-Old Father of Three Returns to Kindergarten, Summer Camp, the Prom, and Other Embarrassments
  • Things I Learned About My Dad in Therapy
  • Messenger: The Legacy of Mattie J.T. Stepanek and Heartsongs
  • Murphy's Boy
  • Corked
  • Self-Esteem: A proven program of cognitive techniques for assessing, improving and maintaining your self-esteem
  • Wasted
  • Being with Dying: Cultivating Compassion and Fearlessness in the Presence of Death
  • Broken Child