Start by marking “Through the Brazilian Wilderness” as Want to Read:
Through the Brazilian Wilderness

Through the Brazilian Wilderness

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  31 reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 312 pages
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published 1914)

To ask other readers questions about Through the Brazilian Wilderness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the Brazilian Wilderness

Thom Swennes
Nov 06, 2012 Thom Swennes rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nature lovers
A positively delightful account of a trek through the unknown interior of the Brazilian wilderness can be read in Through the Brazilian Wilderness by Theodore Roosevelt. The book has something for everyone as it covers biological, zoological, botanical, topographical and geological aspects of the hitherto unknown part of the world. The descriptions are complete and colorfully presented. Roosevelt’s affinity to hunting and the outdoors is well known and overly apparent in this account. I think an ...more
Patrick
Special review for Vince:
Amazon review:
A former American President nearly dies during an ill-planned exploration through the Brazilian Wilderness and down the River of Doubt. In this first person narrative, never before recorded as an audio book, President Theodore Roosevelt describes his expedition along rivers, which are home to deadly Piranha fish, through almost impenetrable forests filled with insects, snakes and wild animals. Roosevelt witnesses primitive Indian tribes, wary of strangers a
James F
Theodore Roosevelt's account of his expedition, along with Brazilian Col. Rondon, to determine the course of the Rio da Duvida (River of Doubt), later named the Rio Roosevelt.

After reading the narratives of Alexander von Humboldt and Henry Walter Bates, this has a totally different feel. Roosevelt, whatever his qualifications as a naturalist may have been, writes, sometimes as a politician, sometimes as a tourist, and usually as a big game hunter, but never as a naturalist.

Humboldt writes very
António
I wasn't aware that there had been a Roosevelt-Rondon Scientific Expedition, before reading this book, and thus the extraordinary first-hand account, written and immortalized by Theodore Roosevelt, of the work of exploration accomplished came as a complete surprise to me.

Those chapters which focused on the traversing and exploring of the River of Doubt were the ones that I was most fascinated with. Once the mystery of that river was mentioned, as well as the intention to demystify it, I eagerly
Hope
In Through the Brazilian Wilderness Teddy Roosevelt chronicles his travels through unchartered territory in Western Brazil. Roosevelt, along with his son, Kermit, and several naturalists from the American Museum of Natural History joined Colonel Cândido Rondon, a Brazilian explorer on his scientific expedition to discover the source of a previously unknown river.

At first the journal was a dull routine of animals seen and miles travelled. Halfway through the trip they reached some rapids that wer
David
Even though this is TR's first hand account of the journey, I found the book RIVER OF DOUBT so much better. But it was interesting to get his take on the trip. But do yourself a favor and read the history book first.
Eric Moote
Jan 22, 2013 Eric Moote rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Men, Teddy Roosevelt fans, Naturalists
Recommended to Eric by: The Art of Manliness
Shelves: non-fiction
Overall: a sometimes understated tale of courage and bravery in the face of tremendous difficulty and adventure.

Not going to lie, I love Teddy Roosevelt. I think he is an amazing portrait of manliness that every man should aspire to imitate. That is the sole reason I picked this book up and I am glad I did.

The book is Teddy's memoir of the journey that he embarked on after his presidential election loss. He heads down an uncharted river into the Amazon River Basin mapping, charting, detailing, h
Andrew B
Theodore Roosevelt was the manliest of men.
There's no doubt about it.
This book documents his exploration of hundreds of miles of an unknown river in the middle of the Amazon river over the course of 2 months.

First of all, can you even imagine a contemporary American president taking on such a task? Like, if George Bush finished his time and office and said, "You know what? I'm going to the middle of the Amazon rainforest for a few months with nothing but a gun and a canoe I carved from a tree..
Bradley Cannon
This autobiographical nonfiction story has all the workings of good fiction, including clever characters, constant conflict, danger, a goal, and an effective climax. The number of animals they see (and kill! Good grief!) is truly astounding. Roosevelt's inclusion of the snake farm shows me that he has a stunning sense of awe for knowledge and exploration. I can think of no better President and no better person to take this journey with, even though he is seriously incapacitated through the great ...more
Miriam
Oh, to be so utterly certain that you are right about everything! Teddy Roosevelt's confidence comes through. He so clearly has a plan for life that works for him: retreat into the nearest jungle, wilderness, etc, and then emerge triumphant, all the more dedicated to the project of civilization. And you can just see him writing at his makeshift desk every night, in gloves and a mosquito net. And readingMarcus Aurelius and whatever else--his books always make the cut, even when they're paring dow ...more
Alec Gray
TR was an amazing man. After his presidency, and after his long African he safari, he joined an exploratory expedition to trace in uncharted tributary of the Amazon. Accompanied by his son,they had a grueling journey and could have easily died. TR's zest for life, his interest in everything, toughness and writing skills are readily apparent in this treasure of a book.
Susan Fetterer
I feel thoroughly immersed in Roosevelt's River of Doubt adventure, having read Candace Millard's telling of the adventure, now followed by TR's own journalistic-style telling of the story. I am awed by his knowledge of insects, snakes, mammals, and birds; his intelligence and modesty as he shared his approach and plan for attaining a near impossible goal, how little he spoke of his own illnesses while focusing on the well-being of his comrades and his authentic regard for them.
It's a little ch
Tess
Incredible journey a first hand account of this exploration of the uncharted River of Doubt. A must read for history buffs.
Wes
Okay, let us get this out of the way first, Teddy Roosevelt was one BAD MOTHA F'ER. The man did a whole lot of manly shit, and a map making expedition through the then uncharted Brazilian super jungle was just one of the many.

The Brazilian jungle is a strange, savage and magical place, and only the toughest of the tough could hack it in the wild.

Roosevelt tells the story in a straight forward, almost scientific way that keeps the pace moving quickly and delivers incredible amounts of information
Janice
I didn't love this book. It was often over written and had the flavor of a PhD dissertation. Candice Millard's book 'The River of Doubt' was more readable. But I do love this great man Teddy Roosevelt who wrote the book and not only proved himself as a leader but that of a scientist and a man who believed in the progress of human beings and cultures. I recommend reading these two books together.
Deborah
TR's accomplishments as a naturalist, a supporter of education and scientific research, a wilderness explorer, a progressive thinker and skilled writer all come together in his captivating account of his journey "Through the Brazilian Wilderness." Reading this book made me feel proud to be an American.
Rishi Garg
Appreciated Roosevelt's almost boyish exuberance in describing wild attributes of animals he encountered along the trip. He was a scholar, naturalist and optimist, and there are likely very few people who can undertake that type of a journey with such courage.
Aaron
It goes through various stages of being awesome and being ridiculous. From a purely scientific standpoint it is outdated, using false classifications and poor spelling. However, it does show the "face" of scientific inquiry in the early 20th Century treasure hunts.
Kay
It darn near killed him (and undoubtedly shortened his life span considerably), but Theodore Roosevelt's account of his trip down the "River of Doubt" as co-leader of a scientific expedition is riveting stuff.

The strenuous life indeed!
Rich
One does not understand how close Teddy came to passing away on this trip but we nearly lost a former President in Brazil. The rigors of the trip probably contributed in a significant way to his early demise. It is a good read!
Paul
I really enjoyed this book. TR brought the same vigor to his writing that he did to everything else he did. This is a great read, detailing an epic journey of discovery.
Deb
Really cool book about what traveling the amazon and some of its tributaries used to be like. More interesting if you are about to travel to south america.
Kevin Sullivan
A lovely book to read while laid up in the hospital recovering from a heart attack ... seriously! Enjoyed it thoroughly.
Kevin
Especially interesting when read as a companion to "The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey."
Allison Ann
A very interesting journey by a very interesting man who was NOT an interesting writer.
Elisif
Aug 04, 2014 Elisif marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
After 5 pages about snakes, I got stuck! Maybe I should just skip past the snakes.
Jennifer Boyce
This book wasn't as readable as "The River of Doubt" but it was still very interesting.
Valerie
Interesting from a historical perspective, but very slow.
John
  • Scrambles Amongst the Alps
  • The Exploration of the Colorado River and Its Canyons
  • Adventures in the Unknown Interior of America
  • The Home Of The Blizzard: A True Story Of Antarctic Survival
  • The Darkest Jungle: The True Story of the Darien Expedition and America's Ill-Fated Race to Connect the Seas
  • Travels in West Africa
  • Starlight and Storm
  • Journal of a Trapper: In the Rocky Mountains Between 1834 and 1843; Comprising a General Description of the Country, Climate, Rivers, Lakes, Mountains, ETC the Nature and Habits of Animals, Manners and Customs of Indians and a Complete View of the Life...
  • Cooper's Creek
  • Everest: The West Ridge
  • Kabloona
  • The Mountain of My Fear / Deborah : A Wilderness Narrative: Two Mountaineering Classics in One Volume
  • Running the Amazon
  • No Picnic on Mount Kenya: A Daring Escape, A Perilous Climb
Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., also known as T.R., and to the public (but never to friends and intimates) as Teddy, was the twenty-sixth President of the United States, and a leader of the Republican Party and of the Progressive Movement. He became the youngest President in United States history at the age of 42. He served in many roles including Governor of New York, historian, naturalist, explorer, au ...more
More about Theodore Roosevelt...
The Rough Riders Theodore Roosevelt: An Autobiography Strenuous Life African Game Trails: An Account of the African Wanderings of an American Hunter-Naturalist Hunting Trips of a Ranchman & The Wilderness Hunter

“The very pathetic myth of "beneficent nature" could not deceive even the least wise being if he once saw for himself the iron cruelty of life in the tropics. Of course "nature"-- in common parlance a wholly inaccurate term, by the way, especially when used as if to express a single entity--is entirely ruthless, no less so as regards types than as regards individuals, and entirely indifferent to good or evil, and works out her ends or no ends with utter disregard of pain and woe.” 1 likes
“in the writing of good English is indispensable to any learned man who expects to make his learning count for what it ought to count in the effect on his fellow men.” 0 likes