Start by marking “Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices” as Want to Read:
Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices

Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices

4.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  563 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Brooks treated the seductive influence and terrible power of Satan in a way 'greatly more full and suggestive than in the literature of the present day'.
Published May 1st 1984 by Banner of Truth (first published 1652)

To ask other readers questions about Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices

Kathleen
Aug 30, 2012 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
Apparently this book was nightlty reading after the bible for Charles Spurgeon. He said it greatly helped him in his battle against satan. This book is essential reading to the Christian wishing to wage war against satan & his schemes. Brooks has a gift for expositing the scriptures on this topic & uncovers many hidden gems to better equip us for victory. I also keep this book on hand regularly & pick it up again & again for reminders & refreshment when I feel like I'm sinkin ...more
Timothy Stone
Feb 02, 2014 Timothy Stone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a friend of mine said in her review of this book, the title Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices doesn't quite give you a great impression. It sounds either overly charismatic, or way, WAY too “lovey-dovey”, and thus not truly biblical. Yet she read the book and spoke quite convincingly of the edifying, Scriptural tone of the work. So I decided to look into the book myself.

Precious Remedies was published in 1652 by Puritan author Thomas Brooks. Those who have read the book Amazing Grace
Eric Chappell
Dec 30, 2013 Eric Chappell rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reading
June was Thomas Brook's month in my Ancient Mentors reading schedule. I underestimated the time it would take to get through this precious Puritan, which is why I finished in July. Apparently, Precious Remedies was the book Spurgeon read every night other than the Bible (I don't remember where I heard this). It's basically the seventeenth-century version of Lewis' Screwtape Letters.

Brooks prefaces the work by suggesting that Christ, the Scriptures, our own hearts, and Satan's tactics are the fo
Melinda
A very worthwhile book. All of these books in the Puritan challenge books for 2008 are not light reading. They are very dense and packed in every sentence with meaning and much thought. I am amazed at the Biblical literacy of these men who wrote these books, in the days before exhaustive concordances and dictionaries and "look up tools" such as we have now. They really read, studied, and knew their Bibles.

This set of sermons goes in a very logical way to address all aspects of a believer's stru
Drew Miller
Jun 28, 2015 Drew Miller rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
Like most books that the Puritans wrote Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices is no different in reminding the reader of the seriousness of sin. Brooks does a masterful job of showing how Satan attacks believers and how believers can be prepared to war against those attacks. I was deeply convicted several times while reading this book. In the appendix, the section on false teachers was helpful.
Bob
May 04, 2013 Bob rated it really liked it
This book is concise and offers to-the-point reasons for why a believer should avoid sin, and then gives tangible examples of how that is to be done, according to the Bible. This is one the most valuable of all the puritan writings. Now I have not read that many but this book & topic, I believe, is a must read for every Christian, especially those struggling and/or tampering with sin. The message and content of this book are as useful today, simply because this issue remains a constant in th ...more
John Yelverton
Aug 21, 2014 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
An absolutely fantastic book dealings with the conflicts and doubts that a Christian encounters on a daily basis, and how to combat those issues. Though I do not agree with everyone of the author's solutions, his insights are so amazing that you will find yourself highlighting on a continual basis.
Shawn
Sep 19, 2014 Shawn marked it as to-read
Reading along with Tim Challies: http://www.challies.com/reading-class...
Jerry
Oct 02, 2010 Jerry rated it it was amazing
This is very helpful for diagnosing and treating spiritual affliction.
Harold Miller
Oct 21, 2015 Harold Miller rated it it was amazing
I finished this book on August 25 of 2015 while on a special time away with my wife in the mountains of Angel Fire, New Mexico. I posted the following about the book on Facebook.

Now, the book. When I take these times designated to quiet, prayer, and reading I bring a few different books, knowing that I will not get all of them read. I do, however, bring one small enough that it can be read in a few days. Several years ago on just such a time away I read Jonathon Edwards, "Charity and It's Fruits
Dan
Jun 11, 2014 Dan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This was the first Puritan work which I was able to read without giving up due to the initially difficult to understand style/language of the Puritans. Though I read it 2-3 years ago, I return to it frequently as a resource, and out of simple enjoyment. The edition published by The Banner of Truth Trust has footnoted obscure or archaic uses of words, but Brooks is a lively, vivid writer and easy to understand once you get into the swing of the English of his day. Brooks's own footnotes are a gol ...more
7jane
Feb 16, 2014 7jane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
This is a very useful books to all Christians, not just those of Puritan kind. Basically, it shows you some of the numerous ways Satan can tempt you in different situations and different states of life and status, and what remedies one can find against them. It's very good to know some of these, because many can fall (and have fallen) back to the world because of them. This is just as true now as it was at the time the book was written, and more people should read this.
Recommended.
JJ
Oct 31, 2014 JJ added it
A worthy book. A classic. Brooks lived from 1608 to 1680 and was one of the foremost Puritans. The prose is not easy, but it is rewarding. His writing calls you to worship right on the spot, as he excels at displaying the excellencies of Christ. He holds the diamond up the window's light, and invites you to carefully observe it as he slowly turns and displays each facet.
Liza
Apr 11, 2015 Liza rated it it was amazing
i am a big fan of the puritans and this is one of the best books. brooks carefully and concisely details the spiritual battle and offers great hope and advice for those engaged in warfare. this book is organized in a way that you dont have to read it cover to cover. it is a valuable resource for christians.
Vaughn
Jan 06, 2013 Vaughn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure Gold!

Similar to C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters,” this book exposes several schemes Satan tends to employ against God's people and more importantly, Biblical methods for overcoming them. Though it could be used as a tool for counseling, I read it more as a devotional and was tremendously blessed.

What we find here is pure Puritan gold. Some have commented that “this is possibly the most valuable of all the puritan writings… a must read for every Christian, especially those struggling and/
Matthew Price
Sep 08, 2015 Matthew Price rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotional
A true spiritual classic from the Puritan tradition that I couldn't recommended more highly for Christians today. Plus, given the book's division into bite-sized chunks, it works well as a daily devotional resource. Brooks has a pastor's heart that is at once compassionate and discerning, showing how God's grace is the answer both to the human tendency to presumption as well as the many ways we're prone to doubt how much we're really loved. As a Wesleyan, there were times I had to part ways with ...more
Stephen
Mar 18, 2016 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Who'd have thought one of the best books on spiritual warfare would be 400 years old? Our great enemy Satan has not changed, nor have God's precious remedies and armor against his vicious attacks.
Irene Ellefson
In depth perspective

How the avoidance of evil in our everyday lives can lead to a happier, more peaceful spirit to carry us through the turmoils of life.
Amy Kannel
Jul 27, 2013 Amy Kannel rated it liked it
The first half of this was probably 4.5-5 stars. I underlined lots and lots of passages--really insightful, penetrating thoughts about fighting against sin and walking faithfully with Christ. But it got so, so repetitive that I had a hard time finishing. Some of the middle-to-latter parts seemed less relevant/helpful, and it began to feel like he just kept saying the same things, using the same examples, etc.

At any rate, I think it's good for me to read old books like this instead of exclusivel
John Wise
Aug 10, 2015 John Wise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotional, theology
Super-helpful. As the name implies, this is a series of meditations meant to help us combat the schemes of Satan. The two things that struck me most were

1) Satan shows the bait and hides the hook.
2) Satan encourages us to disguise vice in the language of virtue. The word for confession in the Bible is the Greek word "homologeo," which literally means "to speak the same." Grace means when we are honest about our sin, call it what God calls it, and bring it into the light, we receive the cleansing
Josh
Jul 07, 2014 Josh rated it it was amazing
One of the most thorough treatises on the analyzation of temptation. Thoroughly helpful and packed to the brim with pithy sayings that will cut to the heart in a few words.
Alex
Dec 01, 2012 Alex rated it it was amazing
Brooks shows great wisdom in his remedies. He not only is able to articulate his thoughts with clarity and understanding, but his use of anecdotes, sayings, pictures and examples is abundant and well-received.

Satan has a great store of devices to use against Christians. And how we so easily fall to them. If we only knew how to overcome. Brooks' classic shows great wisdom and knowledge in this area. How Christians would be exceedingly blessed by reading this book! "Precious Remedies" should be ow
Jash Comstock
Jan 27, 2014 Jash Comstock rated it it was amazing
Pure gold from the puritan Thomas Brooks. This devotional is full of milk and meat. He deals with temptation, oppression, and sin in the Christians life. A must read for any christian.
Matt Pitts
Jun 08, 2013 Matt Pitts rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
You will not have to dig deep in this book to find gold. Brooks has mined the experiences of Christians and the riches of Scripture to discover the devices of Satan and the multitude of precious remedies against them. Here precious jewels are strewn upon the ground waiting for even the most casual reader to discover and apply. Saints suffering under Satan's wiles will find a soothing tonic in this priceless work. I know of nothing like it and am grateful the church is not without it. Read and be ...more
Logan
Jan 28, 2014 Logan rated it it was amazing
Brooks is so, so good. Practical spiritual remedies for various things Christians struggle with.
Victoria
Apr 30, 2015 Victoria marked it as to-read
Shelves: book-list-2015
Mom just got this in the mail yesterday...Ligon Duncan tries to read it once each year. It's one of the books that has influenced him most. Feb. 7th.

Saw it again as "You Must Read" on April 30 https://banneroftruth.org/us/store/th... J. Ligon Duncan:
'When I first read 'Precious Remedies', I read it not looking for ideas for teaching and preaching, but for my own life, my own heart, and my own walk...'

On 'Precious Remedies for Satan's Devices' by Thomas Brooks
Wes Bredenhof
Oct 29, 2015 Wes Bredenhof rated it it was amazing
One of the best, most practical, and spiritually edifying Puritan works. Enormous benefit is to be had from the biblical wisdom in this book concerning spiritual warfare.
Marguerite Harrell
Aug 19, 2013 Marguerite Harrell marked it as to-read
I am going to read this book with Tim Challies online for the first time. See his blog link about this: http://www.challies.com/reading-class...

I never had done reading this way before online. I had done group reading with my church family meeting together and talk about the book but never online.

I am looking forward to learn a lot from this book and online too. I have this book in kindle that I downloaded from Amazon.
Joe Marlin
May 31, 2014 Joe Marlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
classic puritan wisdom. they took their time to understand the 'anatomy of the soul' and here Brooks helps us understand ourselves, and the enemy of our souls, but much more redemption of our Lord in all these troubles. highly recommend to those struggling with addiction, failure, and doubts.
Jacob Young
Dec 07, 2015 Jacob Young rated it it was amazing
Very helpful and insightful. I found Brooks bringing clarity to a number or temptations I regularly face. While he did not excuse indwelling sin, he did clarify the schemes of Satan. If Christian sanctification is fighting the world, the flesh and the Devil, then we need good teaching on what demonic activity looks like. While brooks is some 450+ years old, he is readable and helpful. This book would be of great encouragement to all Christians.
  • The Doctrine of Repentance (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • The Letters of Samuel Rutherford (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • Communion with God
  • The Bruised Reed
  • A Lifting Up for the Downcast
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • Prayer
  • The Christian Ministry
  • Practical Religion
  • The Christian in Complete Armour
  • George Whitefield: The Life and Times of the Great Evangelist of the Eighteenth-Century Revival - Volume I

“[I]t is not hasty reading--but serious meditating upon holy and heavenly truths, that make them prove sweet and profitable to the soul. It is not the bee’s touching of the flower, which gathers honey--but her abiding for a time upon the flower, which draws out the sweet. It is not he who reads most--but he who meditates most, who will prove the choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian.” 14 likes
“For a close, remember this, that your life is short, your duties many, your assistance great, and your reward sure; therefore faint not, hold on and hold up, in ways of well-doing, and heaven shall make amends for all.” 8 likes