Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices

Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Brooks treated the seductive influence and terrible power of Satan in a way 'greatly more full and suggestive than in the literature of the present day'.
Published May 1st 1984 by Banner of Truth (first published June 1st 1968)

Eric Chappell
June was Thomas Brook's month in my Ancient Mentors reading schedule. I underestimated the time it would take to get through this precious Puritan, which is why I finished in July. Apparently, Precious Remedies was the book Spurgeon read every night other than the Bible (I don't remember where I heard this). It's basically the seventeenth-century version of Lewis' Screwtape Letters.

Brooks prefaces the work by suggesting that Christ, the Scriptures, our own hearts, and Satan's tactics are the fo...more
Melinda
A very worthwhile book. All of these books in the Puritan challenge books for 2008 are not light reading. They are very dense and packed in every sentence with meaning and much thought. I am amazed at the Biblical literacy of these men who wrote these books, in the days before exhaustive concordances and dictionaries and "look up tools" such as we have now. They really read, studied, and knew their Bibles.

This set of sermons goes in a very logical way to address all aspects of a believer's stru...more
Bob
This book is concise and offers to-the-point reasons for why a believer should avoid sin, and then gives tangible examples of how that is to be done, according to the Bible. This is one the most valuable of all the puritan writings. Now I have not read that many but this book & topic, I believe, is a must read for every Christian, especially those struggling and/or tampering with sin. The message and content of this book are as useful today, simply because this issue remains a constant in th...more
Kathleen
Apparently this book was nightlty reading after the bible for Charles Spurgeon. He said it greatly helped him in his battle against satan. This book is essential reading to the Christian wishing to wage war against satan & his schemes. Brooks has a gift for expositing the scriptures on this topic & uncovers many hidden gems to better equip us for victory. I also keep this book on hand regularly & pick it up again & again for reminders & refreshment when I feel like I'm sinkin...more
Timothy Stone
As a friend of mine said in her review of this book, the title Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices doesn't quite give you a great impression. It sounds either overly charismatic, or way, WAY too “lovey-dovey”, and thus not truly biblical. Yet she read the book and spoke quite convincingly of the edifying, Scriptural tone of the work. So I decided to look into the book myself.

Precious Remedies was published in 1652 by Puritan author Thomas Brooks. Those who have read the book Amazing Grace...more
Shawn
May 31, 2013 Shawn is currently reading it
Reading along with Tim Challies: http://www.challies.com/reading-class...
Jerry
This is very helpful for diagnosing and treating spiritual affliction.
Dan
Jun 11, 2014 Dan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
This was the first Puritan work which I was able to read without giving up due to the initially difficult to understand style/language of the Puritans. Though I read it 2-3 years ago, I return to it frequently as a resource, and out of simple enjoyment. The edition published by The Banner of Truth Trust has footnoted obscure or archaic uses of words, but Brooks is a lively, vivid writer and easy to understand once you get into the swing of the English of his day. Brooks's own footnotes are a gol...more
7jane
This is a very useful books to all Christians, not just those of Puritan kind. Basically, it shows you some of the numerous ways Satan can tempt you in different situations and different states of life and status, and what remedies one can find against them. It's very good to know some of these, because many can fall (and have fallen) back to the world because of them. This is just as true now as it was at the time the book was written, and more people should read this.
Recommended.
Vaughn
Pure Gold!

Similar to C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters,” this book exposes several schemes Satan tends to employ against God's people and more importantly, Biblical methods for overcoming them. Though it could be used as a tool for counseling, I read it more as a devotional and was tremendously blessed.

What we find here is pure Puritan gold. Some have commented that “this is possibly the most valuable of all the puritan writings… a must read for every Christian, especially those struggling and/...more
Amy Kannel
The first half of this was probably 4.5-5 stars. I underlined lots and lots of passages--really insightful, penetrating thoughts about fighting against sin and walking faithfully with Christ. But it got so, so repetitive that I had a hard time finishing. Some of the middle-to-latter parts seemed less relevant/helpful, and it began to feel like he just kept saying the same things, using the same examples, etc.

At any rate, I think it's good for me to read old books like this instead of exclusivel...more
Josh
One of the most thorough treatises on the analyzation of temptation. Thoroughly helpful and packed to the brim with pithy sayings that will cut to the heart in a few words.
Alex
Brooks shows great wisdom in his remedies. He not only is able to articulate his thoughts with clarity and understanding, but his use of anecdotes, sayings, pictures and examples is abundant and well-received.

Satan has a great store of devices to use against Christians. And how we so easily fall to them. If we only knew how to overcome. Brooks' classic shows great wisdom and knowledge in this area. How Christians would be exceedingly blessed by reading this book! "Precious Remedies" should be ow...more
Jash Comstock
Pure gold from the puritan Thomas Brooks. This devotional is full of milk and meat. He deals with temptation, oppression, and sin in the Christians life. A must read for any christian.
Jessica Beckett
Baller. I bought this on kindle and getting it in hard copy because I liked it so much.
Matt Pitts
You will not have to dig deep in this book to find gold. Brooks has mined the experiences of Christians and the riches of Scripture to discover the devices of Satan and the multitude of precious remedies against them. Here precious jewels are strewn upon the ground waiting for even the most casual reader to discover and apply. Saints suffering under Satan's wiles will find a soothing tonic in this priceless work. I know of nothing like it and am grateful the church is not without it. Read and be...more
Logan
Brooks is so, so good. Practical spiritual remedies for various things Christians struggle with.
Marguerite Harrell
Aug 19, 2013 Marguerite Harrell marked it as to-read
I am going to read this book with Tim Challies online for the first time. See his blog link about this: http://www.challies.com/reading-class...

I never had done reading this way before online. I had done group reading with my church family meeting together and talk about the book but never online.

I am looking forward to learn a lot from this book and online too. I have this book in kindle that I downloaded from Amazon.
Joe Marlin
classic puritan wisdom. they took their time to understand the 'anatomy of the soul' and here Brooks helps us understand ourselves, and the enemy of our souls, but much more redemption of our Lord in all these troubles. highly recommend to those struggling with addiction, failure, and doubts.
Andy
Would to God ALL Christian counseling books were half as good as this! There is no pop psychology self-help mumbo-jumbo here. Brooks deals with a very large assortment of issues related to sin, fear, temptation, assurance, faith, etc and offers a plethora of Biblical advice on facing such issues. The catalyst of this book is Paul's statement "We are not ignorant of his (Satan's) devices" (2 Cor. 2:11).
Paul
4.5 stars. This is a magnificent book, set out so systematically and logically. Brooks explores the various 'devices' Satan uses to lead us to sin or to omit our duties or to lose our joy. And in doing so he explores a wide array of topics and doctrines and addresses them with concision and encouragement, as well as many many varied and vivid illustrations.
Ange
Apr 14, 2014 Ange rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Hope to use this advise given:

For a close, I wish, as once Chrysostom did, that that sentence (Eccles. 2:11), "Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labor that I had labored to do, and behold all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun," were engraved on the door-posts...
Ryan Wallace
Striking guide to overcoming the temptations of Satan in the daily walk of the Christian. As was the method of many puritans, each page is submerged with Scripture references, as if they themselves are part of the sentences by the author. A very easy read, written in a simple "problem-and-solution" format. A must for your shelves.
John Carroll
Dec 19, 2013 John Carroll rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to John by: Tim Challies
This is a classic for the Christian who desires to live a holy life. I gained insight into the snares and schemes of the devil. You can expect this to be written in the Puritan style, thorough and, at times, repetitive, but well worth reading, marking and re-reading. For a good review see www.challies.com
Charles Norton
A tad hard to understand at some points but a "must read" for all who follow Christ.
Tamara Blickhan
For a quick understanding of how Satan works in your life, read the Screwta#e Letters by Lewis. For a stronger treatment of getting to know the enemy of your soul, this is a fantastic book to see how he works. Grab a highlighter when reading and refer back to it... often.
Eric Molicki
A true classic of spiritual devotion that every Christian should read. I plan to have my discipleship group go through the last appendix in detail as it is such an excellent summary of what the fight against temptation should look like when we fight in faith!
Sue Laurie
An exhaustive treatment on how a Christian needs to stand against Satan's devices, what they are and the solution on how to stand. One of the best works on Spiritual warfare in print !
Donna Gabbard
I plan on reading this book again. Author gave many instances of how Satan tries to deceive and turn us away from the terribleness of our sin and from the power and grace of God.
  • The Doctrine of Repentance (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • The Mystery of Providence (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • The Bruised Reed
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life
  • The Life of God in the Soul of Man
  • Lectures to My Students
Thomas Brooks earned his B.S. Electrical Engineering from the University of Pittsburgh and his MBA from the University of Maryland. The award-winning author has published several articles, and has been featured frequently on the radio and on television. In 1998, Brooks won a national award from the Career Communications Group in the category of Technical Sales and Marketing for his work in corpora...more
More about Thomas Brooks...
Heaven on Earth (Puritan Paperbacks) The Secret Key to Heaven: The Vital Importance of Private Prayer The Works Of Thomas Brooks  Volume 1 United We Stand The Mute Christian, Under the Smarting Rod: With Sovereign Antidotes Against the Most Miserable Exigents: Or, a Christian with an Olive Leaf in His Mo

“For a close, remember this, that your life is short, your duties many, your assistance great, and your reward sure; therefore faint not, hold on and hold up, in ways of well-doing, and heaven shall make amends for all.” 5 likes
“[I]t is not hasty reading--but serious meditating upon holy and heavenly truths, that make them prove sweet and profitable to the soul. It is not the bee’s touching of the flower, which gathers honey--but her abiding for a time upon the flower, which draws out the sweet. It is not he who reads most--but he who meditates most, who will prove the choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian.” 5 likes