Start by marking “Heaven on Earth” as Want to Read:
Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Assurance brings joy to worship and strength to witness. Thomas Brooks clearly explains the nature of assurance and how it can be experienced.
Published June 1st 1983 by Banner of Truth (first published 1654)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven on Earth

Alex
May 21, 2017 Alex rated it it was amazing
When I think the writings of the Puritans can no longer amaze or surprise me, when I think I have finally reached my fill of their stunning grasp of heavenly knowledge, I am once again humbled by the reading of another exceptional and praiseworthy work of a Puritan divine. Thomas Brooks is an outstanding writer (as is seen in all of his books). He always touches the heart of the matter. Read from Brooks and you will grow. You will truly benefit.
This work will open your eyes in regard to Christia
Brian
Jun 12, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing
First published in 1654, Heaven on Earth is a treatise on Christian assurance. Brooks explores in great depth the roots, essence, and fruit of assurance within a genuine child of God. Brooks' contemporary Joseph Caryl summed up Brooks' treatise quite well: "All saints shall enjoy heaven when they leave this earth; some saints enjoy heaven while they are here on earth. That saints might enjoy two heavens is the project of this book."

As difficult as it is to review a treatise with some deep theolo
7jane
Jan 29, 2015 7jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
A thorough work on how to have assurance of Heaven while still on Earth. Including how one can be sure one can have that assurance in this life, why it's sometimes denied or found, why it should be obtained, how to gain it, and difference between true and false assurance.

I thought that this would be quite a dry read, and wondered how it would need so many pages to declare. But Brooks is thorough on this subject, and one does need more than a few solid sentences for the subject of assurance to fe
Kathy
Jun 18, 2017 Kathy rated it it was amazing
I now have a new favorite Puritan author. The subject is assurance of heaven on earth. The book is very structured in its content and the listing of chapters is itself 6 pages long. However the structure does not hinder the majestic message nor the artistic and sometimes poetic way Brooks presents his thesis. It has taken me almost eight months to read not because I found it boring or dry but because there was so much substance in each sentence and paragraph. Sometimes I could only read a phrase ...more
Hobart
May 11, 2014 Hobart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
I just might have myself a new favorite Puritan (I'm not the only one who has a list, right?). I'm kicking myself for not getting to Brooks earlier in life. What a wonderful book -- I'm looking forward to getting to read more by him.

Aesthetically, this is fantastic. The language sings -- the book begs to be read aloud (and I frequently did so, interrupting whatever anyone around me was doing). You can feel the passion, the fervor throughout. A few paragraphs from different chapters illustrate th
Rose West
May 28, 2009 Rose West rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who struggle with feeling assurance of God's love.
A treatise on Christian assurance. I found it helpful, with lots of Scripture references. Being a Puritan book, it is very structured on an outline. Not always "easy to read" but worth the extra effort.
Andy
May 15, 2013 Andy rated it it was amazing
A clear, concise, and insightful treatment of the subject of assurance. Brooks is the ultimate pastor caring for his flock's souls in this volume. An absolute pleasure to read.
Justin Andrusk
May 24, 2014 Justin Andrusk rated it really liked it
This has to be the absolute best book on assurance that I have ever read. Highly recommend it!
Bara Ex Nihilo
Bara Ex Nihilo rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Chuck
Chuck rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2014
Dave
Dave rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2014
James M.
James M. rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2014
Jerrold Lewis
Jerrold Lewis rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2014
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Last Word
Last Word rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2017
Bobby Crenshaw
Bobby Crenshaw rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Bart
Bart rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2014
Michael Edwards
Michael Edwards rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2014
Timothy Fluegge
Timothy Fluegge rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2015
Peter Clegg
Peter Clegg rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2014
Stefanie
Stefanie rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2010
Brad Wetherell
Brad Wetherell rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2017
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2011
Roschelle
Roschelle rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Janice
Janice rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2009
Carlene Blackburn
Carlene Blackburn rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2015
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2012
Little is known about Thomas Brooks as a man, other than can be ascertained from his many writings. Born, probably of well-to-do parents, in 1608, Brooks entered Emmanuel College, Cambridge, in 1625. He was licensed as a preacher of the gospel by 1640 at the latest. Before that date he seems to have spent a number of years at sea, probably as a chaplain with the fleet. After the Civil War, Brooks ...more
More about Thomas Brooks...