Start by marking “Painless” as Want to Read:

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  497 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Pain means you're still alive.
Billy Harper is trying to pick up the pieces of his shattered life when he rents a cottage on the property of Chuck and Beth Whitcomb in New Canaan, Connecticut. He's had everything that matters stolen from him, leaving his heart numb. But when he meets the Whitcomb's four-year-old daughter, Carolyn, she teaches him what it is to live again,
Published September 8th 2009 by Dog Ear Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Painless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Painless

Jennifer Robertson
For an ebook that was free in the iTunes bookstore, I didn't have particularly high expectations for this novel. It would either be crappy or it would be book one in a series where I'd have to pay for all the other books. Or both.

This is neither. It is a standalone novel that has a fascinating plot, characters with depth, and loads of twists and turns. I'm a sucker for stories with a medical tie-in, and this has a very unique - and real - disease at its center.

I suppose there were some plot poi
Jaime
Nope. Can't do it. Even for a free book. Writing was crappy and cliche. Anything but painless (see...it hurts, huh?).
Spazzy Maz Brit [the insane one]
Alison Forde
This was the literary equivalent of watching a Sly Stallone movie - it's not that I didn't enjoy it, but I feel slightly ashamed about it. A secret American agency/conspiracy/thriller plot kept me going well enough but was about as nutricious as a Dairylea Dunker.
James
Cons first: I found some of what the girl says to be far beyond the 4 years old that is claimed, even when she’s supposed to be intelligent, but that was the only thing that jarred and it didn’t stop me really enjoying the book. The rest of her character & what she understands is well developed and convincing.

I read this in just a few days, starting on my daily commute and then shunning films and TV programs in order to complete it – a real page turner!

I found this to be a thought provoking
Maggie
At first I was hooked by the mystery & action of the first chapter. Unfortunately by chapter four I hated it, I hated Carolyn & her parents.

As a mother I found it incredibly hard to believe that a three year old (almost four) would say words such as "apologise" & "Imagination" when at one point before she can't even say "FOUR" properly & says "foe" instead, as well as "ubee" for UV. The child was so annoying in behaviour & unrealistic speech patterns, the parents were just as
Hank
I am only 50 pages in but so far this book has been interesting even though I haven't quite figured out the plot yet I like the characters and it is is interesting learning about their personalities, as the story unfolds the characters stories do as well and i think it is very entertaining learning about Carolyn.

I am now on page 247 and I really love what an interesting character Carolyn and it is almost scary for me watching Billy's past creep up on him as everybody finds out about his story, a
Denise
Oh dear. Crappy kindle freebie alert. Dreadful writing, rolling out every tired cliche in the book, and it's riddled with poor grammar and mis-spellings. Can't...go...on...
Amy Taylor
Not going to finish this one. The beginning was good but it's getting too weird for me.
Vera
I only finished like half of this book then it got boring
Jane
Feb 18, 2011 Jane rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle, 3
Pauline Ross
This was a free book I picked up in my early Kindle days, and it's still cheap. It was in Amazon's top 100 free list for months, which is a good sign. There are two separate strands to the plot. The first is about a family with an unusual child, and Billy, who arrives to rent their cottage, and this part is very readable. The characters are not perfectly drawn, and some are more fleshed out than others, but they do feel more real than is usual in a book of this type, and they all have some serio ...more
C.M. Alset
The writer clearly has no experience with the topic. The dialogue and situations are completely unrealistic. It is blatantly obvious to the reader that the child has a medical condition, yet the characters are clueless. The main character is a cliche (assassin with a troubled past).

To the author: Stick to that with which you are familiar and avoid stereotypes and cliches.
Susan
Interesting plot, but the proofreading was pretty poor with too much reliance on a spell checker and too little on the human brain.

Remember the brother in the Swedish novels about 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,' the one who couldn't feel pain? This plot depends on it.
Brenda J
I really enjoyed this. There were several parts through the book that I thought had a ring of truth, but of course nobody could be inflicted like this! I got to the end and found a link to a society that apparently has people like this! Either way the book is enjoyable and I couldn't put it down wanting to get to the final outcome.
chelepissbcglobal.net
Absolutely the most amazing book I've read in years.

I wanted this book to go on forever. I would give this book 25 stars and that wouldn't be anywhere near enough.
Kæñ ß
story is okay it isnt my best read but if you get into the story you definalty continue to the end
Ben
Oct 28, 2014 Ben added it
I thought the ending was good and it wasn't my favorite genre but still a great book.
Donna
There were parts that was difficult to follow. The prologue I did like
Heather
Was an amazing book. Very heart reaching.
Andrea
There are conspiracies and thrills abound in this engrossing novel about a little known condition whereby those affected cannot feel pain. Trying to protect a little girl who doesn’t understand what’s not funny about biting off her own tongue ‘playing vampires’ while she is mercilessly hunted by an army of experimental mercenaries, the perfect soldiers and assassins, who also cannot feel pain, the protagonists struggle to work out who is friend and foe in a fast paced narrative.
Pam Johnosn
I loved this book and found it very hard to put down, consequently, dust has piled in layers on my furniture. It's a very well written book, which makes is pleasurable to read, sprinkled with humor throughout. Even though it is quite long (1000+ pages on NOOK), it didn't seem so, as, like I said, it was hard to put down, therefore, reading went fast, fast, fast!
I will recommend it to everyone! I will also look for and read other books by this author.
Nicola Holland
This book took a few chapters to get in to as didn't understand what was happening at first.
Once into it however, thought it was very fast paced and an enjoyable read. I thought the subject matter, people suffering with a condition known as CIPA, which means they can't feel pain, was interesting and I did look up the condition! I did feel that the little girl Caroline in the story spoke way beyond her 4yrs, but other than that a good enjoyable thriller.
Philippa
I read it on my Kindle. I liked it a lot and got involved with the characters. I was fascinated by the medical issues and the details of the camp where the sufferers could live. However I am not very keen on thrillers and the latter part of the book had too many chases and too many twists and turns of plot for my taste. If it was written without the endless panic journeys I would have enjoyed it more.
Joseph Rohrer
Derek Ciccone
309 pgs.
Genre: fiction
Rating: 7/10

I choose this book because I thought it would be interesting. The title "painless" interested me. I can relate to Beth. She was very protective of her family and didn't want them to get hurt. I can relate to being overprotective of my family. There is no sequel to the book. If there was though, I would read it.
Lynn
I read this on a friends recommendation. Easy to get into and read and you get a feel for the characters early on.I did find it a little predictable in parts. The books conclusion seemed to be over too quickly, I'm sure the author could embellished the ending , every thing happened too easily
The content of the book reminded me of Dean Koontz early work.
Kj
Feb 07, 2011 Kj rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: thriller
Very similar to style to 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro, you often felt it was predictable at the beginning, but became less so as you read on.

It wasn't brilliantly written, but was a clever plot that had me finish it in 24 hours (staying up waaaay after I should have been asleep!)

The best part is that it's free to download in iBooks.
Kathy Brewis
Painless by Derek Ciccone was a good read. This book tells the story of a man haunted by his past who lives as a caretaker for a 4 year old girl. This four old girl has a special condition that allows her to not feel pain. That would be a good thing but her illness and that of others has been exploited to aid in fighting in wars.
Dirk Gently
Started out well. I was interested in the characters. Actually cared about them. Then part way through, the characters suddenly became flat, cliche action figures that behaved stupidly and in ways that the people they were in the first part never would have. Tried to keep reading, but what I liked at first is gone. Disappointed.
  • William Walker's First Year Of Marriage: A Horror Story
  • Too Close for Comfort
  • Spoilt
  • The Hanging Shed (Douglas Brodie, #1)
  • The Stolen Child
  • Graveyard Games
  • Fifth Avenue (Fifth Avenue #1)
  • Letters on demonology and witchcraft.
  • The Case of the Missing Boyfriend
  • The Folks at Fifty-Eight
  • Uprising (Vampire Federation, #1)
  • Spitting Devil (Jonathan Stride, #5.5)
  • The Book of Werewolves
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Soul Identity (Soul Identity, #1)
  • Concrete Underground
  • Protector
  • The Trophy Taker (Detective Johnny Mann, #1)
Officer Jones The Truant Officer The Heritage Paper Huddled Masses (JP Warner/Officer Jones) The Trials of Max Q