Start by marking “How to Be Your Own Best Friend” as Want to Read:
How to Be Your Own Best Friend

How to Be Your Own Best Friend

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"Sensible advice on how to give up childhood, accept yourself and your own maturity and deal with life on your own two feet."
DALLAS TIMES HERALD
In this unique, bestselling question-and- answer guide to self-love and acceptance, two practicing psychologists (who are also married to one another) reveal the secret of pursuing happiness, by revealing to ourselves what we think
Published December 12th 1986 by Ballantine Books (first published April 12th 1974)

To ask other readers questions about How to Be Your Own Best Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be Your Own Best Friend

Juanita Ray
I bought this 56 page hardcover book published in 1971, from the library about two decades ago. Just an FYI, I am not gay but this book does address some gay issues and treats them as a disorder (changeable) which was the perception at that time.
I believe there is a reprint, newer version, but I have not read it, hence the 3 stars.
Today the quick fix for depression is Prozac despite the fact it increases suicidal tendencies. I personally have never taken Prozac or anti-depressants but close fam
Aletheia
A really excellent gem. I dug up an old 1970's version of this book, was intrigued by the title, and began to read it over the course of a week. At only 91 pages, this would be considered by many to be "probably not worth reading", but the depth of insight in this book was really quite stunning.
I bookmarked nearly every page and will definitely be revisiting the insights within this books pages in the future!
Cathy DuPont
Fast and easy, Q & A on how to like yourself. Remember this being an introspective period of my life. Thought a lot about life, living, how to conduct yourself and make proper decisions in life. There were many self help books on the market then, people all over the nation 'trying to find themselves' and I was one of them.

Needless to say, there's still many books on the market today with the same theme, however I remember this little book getting me over some bumpy roads.

Here's an example:
Don Gubler
Some interesting and helpful insights into life and living it.
josh
Aug 07, 2014 josh rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ?
Recommended to josh by: Somewhere online?
Didn't really care for it. Obviously written when psychology was in a different place than it is today.
wAnderlUst
this book was an interesting little small wonder... filled with wonderful insights and its thinner than a post-it stack!

"when you stop trying to get from other people what they cant give to you, you can begin to enjoy what they can offer."
what a gem of insight!

this book is filled with little haiku like nuggets of wisdom!
Andd Becker
An interviewer asks questions; two psychoanalysts, in one voice, reply.
Does this 1971 book have merit today? Is there anything in this book that will help the reader bhecome his or her own best friend? Is the book dated? ("...women's liberationists...")
What should I do with the book? Give it away? Toss it? Keep it? Put it aside to decide on later?
It has a nice binding.
Lori
This book was a gift and I enjoyed this read. The book is like a friend giving you a gentle nudge. It's a book on how to care for the self and to be one's own best friend. Although it was written/published in the 1970's, most of the information is still relevant for today.
Shriram Narayanan
A short book that is a conversation in Q&A format, overall it helps thinks through oneself and is a bit of a pickup/self motivator. Written simply and good concepts that one already knows and needs reminding of periodically.

Kim
This book has one of those self-help titles that makes you feel a little embarrassed that you even picked it up. However, title aside, it's a short book that reads like a be-nice-to-yourself magazine article.
danielle
sadly, this book does not teach you how to be best friends with yourself. if you had a horrible childhood, have OCD, and like reading cliches over and over again then this book is still second rate.
jefrey das
this is a good get going advice i ever received without beating myself over it.There are insights into our upbringing & our environment that make us cease to act self destructively and add a LILT IN OUR STEP.
David Ferrers
This is another of my favourite books that I take down from my bookshelf every year and re-read. And every year the lessons seem to be more profound, more valuable than ever. I love this little book.
Megen
Our hospital chaplain loaned me this book. I read it in about an hour, but I'll be rereading it again to digest it. I always wished life came with an instruction book, and here it is!
K.P. Taskila
Good information. Quick read. Reminds you of some basic stuff like don't beat yourself up.
Ruth Portnoy
I read this book when I was 12. It helped me through a very difficult stage of my life.
Covenant Presbyterian Springfield Ohio
Call Number: 150 NEW

A gift from the library of Pat DILTZ.

Available.

Belinda
Eileen...I read this book over and over when I really need to hear your voice.
cliffisimus
This is a re-read, however, I still find this small book's message vague.
Fujiwara Kaito
Could be longer, but other than that, good book for what it is.
Jim Davis
Nazgol
Jan 30, 2010 Nazgol added it
Good,good
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Jazz
Jazz marked it as to-read
M.
M. added it
Christina Freidline
Christina Freidline marked it as to-read
Vikramjit Singh
Vikramjit Singh marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Yashas Kumar
Yashas Kumar marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
  • Love Is Letting Go of Fear
  • The Natural: How to Effortlessly Attract the Women You Want
  • Finding the Love of Your Life
  • Don't Send a Resume: And Other Contrarian Rules to Help Land a Great Job
  • Your Miracle Brain: Maximize Your Brainpower *Boost Your Memory *Lift Your Mood *Improve Your IQ and Creativity *Prevent and Reverse Mental Aging
  • Debt Cures: "They" Don't Want You to Know About
  • The Psychology of Self-Esteem
  • Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons
  • Body Mind Mastery: Creating Success in Sport and Life
  • Curious?: Discover the Missing Ingredient to a Fulfilling Life
  • How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life
  • Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills
  • How to Meditate: A Guide to Self-Discovery
How To Take Charge Of Your Life How to Be Awake and Alive How To Be Your Own Best Friend How to Be Your Own Best Friend: A Conversation With Two Psychoanalysts How To Be Your Own Best Friend: A Conversation With Two Psychoanalysts