Start by marking “Broken Moon” as Want to Read:
Broken Moon

Broken Moon

I WILL NEVER HAVE A HUSBAND, BUT I HAVE THE BEST BROTHER IN THE WORLD. YOUR BREATH ON MY CHEEK -- ON MY SCAR -- FELT LIKE THE BREATH OF ALLAH.

Nadira is spoiled goods. Scars from a beating she received for a crime that her older brother allegedly committed tell the world that she is worth less than nothing -- except to her little brother, Umar, who sees beauty in her scar
Published February 27th 2007 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Broken Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Moon

BAYA Librarian
Jan 24, 2009 BAYA Librarian rated it really liked it
* In this short, but powerful novel of contemporary Pakistan, Nadira writes to her younger brother Umar telling the sad story of their family's downfall. An older brother was accused of rape, and Nadira was the victim of the family's revenge, scarring her face and body; after her father died, the family was dependent on cruel Uncle Rubel. When Umar is missing, Nadira is determined to find him. She learns that small boys are often kidnapped or sold to be taken to the Gulf States to be used (and o ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
What a great read! I hope this kidnapping of boys to work with camels in the desert isn't really happening in this day and age, but I'm afraid it probably is, as this author wouldn't just invent something this detailed out of thin air.
Nadira is a strong female character, a survivor, and I like the way the story of Scheherazade inspires her. Highly recommended.
Jenne
Jan 14, 2009 Jenne rated it really liked it
Shelves: letters, teens, reviewed
By night a weaver of tales, by day a scarred, scared young women.

As 18 year old, Nadira writes home to her little brother, Umar, she slowly reveals through her letters and stories her sadness at her unmarriageable status due to scars inside and out. The most prominent - a half moon scar on her face - left by an assault, allowed by Pakistani traditions, as revenge for her brother’s alleged assault on a rival family’s daughter.

When her brother goes missing, Nadira is convinced her cruel Uncle Rueb
Ryan Ward
Dec 21, 2015 Ryan Ward added it
Shelves: english-2
In the book Broken Moon, written by Kim Antieau, there were many issues discussed and shown throughout the book. The Pakistan region, shown by the book, is filled with plenty of different difficulties and problems that are faced every single day, and will always come back, whether or not you deal with them. The issue that I saw and learned from was gender discrimination, mainly against women in the Pakistan region. What I learned is that humans are discriminated way too much, and it can vary fro ...more
Jun 10, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
Recommends it for: all readers 14 and up
Recommended to Jennifer by: mother-in-law
I liked this book. I'm all about the quick reads and this book was one of them. I know the story was fictional, but it hinted to the fact that it was based on realistic happenings. This story tells of a girl who's young brother is kidnapped and sold to camel trainers in the middle east. She narrates her tale of self-discovery and gives the reader a glimpse into the world of camel races in the desert.

There are so many bad things happening around the world and it takes couragous people to do some
Jeannie
Aug 02, 2009 Jeannie rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful YA book. It tells the story of a teenage girl growing up in Pakistan and dealing with some very harsh circumstances. The book manages to cover the issues of the extreme social inequalities for women in this culture, the child slave trade, and fundamentalist "honor" attacks on women. If I taught a High School lit class, I would definitely look into this book. The other side of the story is the parallel that the plot has to the Shaharazad story. The writing is very lyrical, an ...more
Tenzin
Dec 11, 2009 Tenzin rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. A Pakastani girl named Nadira, who was brutally beaten after her brother was accused of things, goes out looking for her youngest brother, Umar, that was sold by her uncle. She diguises herself as a boy and goes to the place where Umar was sold and becomes friends with the kids there. Im the end she finds her brother while they race on the camels, Nadira wins so she has one wish, she goes to the "bosses" and begs them to set her and Umar free. They do and so do the other k ...more
Lora
Mar 26, 2008 Lora rated it really liked it
Nadira, a Pakistani girl whose face is scarred from a brutal beating, disguises herself as a boy to track down her kidnapped brother. In the brutal camps where camels and boy jockeys train for races, Nadira uses her wits and storytelling ability to survive and find a way to locate her brother and improve the lives of fellow camel jockeys. She proves her worth is far more than an unscarred face. Despite its rather implausible resolution, this is a fine coming of age story and an excellent tribute ...more
Alicia
Apr 20, 2010 Alicia rated it really liked it
A curious look into camel racing using little boys stolen from homes in the Middle East, taken from families who cannot afford them or need some quick income. It's a story told over and overa gain, a girl taking on the responsibility for her family (in this case, her widowed mother) and becoming a boy to rescue her brother. Although there are cultural references, it doesn't give as complete a picture as something like The Breadwinner.
Kim
Oct 12, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kelly
This was a heart-breaking an intersting story about a girl who is gang raped and scarred as punishment for her brother's alleged crime in Pakistan. When her brother is taken at the age of six to be a camel jockey, she goes undercover to find him.

I had never even heard of the camel jockey practice before. It is horrible and interesting all at the same time. This book reads very simply, but teaches a lot.
Zoë
Very good book. (view spoiler) This is the correct way to write about a girl disguising herself as a boy (I'm looking at other books out there). The closeness between Nadira and Umar, along with the other boys, was so touching. And her fondness for story-telling was touching too.
Trisha
Aug 18, 2009 Trisha rated it liked it
I read this several years ago. I rated it a three because when I glanced through it I could remember the whole story. It was cute and easy. I remember thinking it had things that upset me at the time though. It reminded me a lot of "alphabet of dreams" (or whatever that book was called) just less graphic.
Jenny
Sep 13, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, realistic
Nadira is ruined by the scar on her face, the result of an assault on her for her brother's alleged crime. Nadira works as a maid, and her only joy is in her little brother Omar. Now Omar is gone, sold to the camel owners to be a jockey. Nadira must emulate Shaharazad and disguise herself as a boy to infiltrate the camel camp and rescue her brother.
Rebecca Cooper
Mar 24, 2016 Rebecca Cooper rated it really liked it
Very moving young adult book about a modern Pakistani girl to rescue her younger brother, who was kidnapped and sold to be a camel jockey. Beautiful and uplifting while still being honest about real cultural issues.
Deb
Aug 13, 2007 Deb rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of Sold
Like sold, Pakastani boy is kidnapped and maybe sold by his uncle to become a camel jockey, a very rough and dangerous life. His sister dresses as a boy to save him. A little improbable, but well told.
Mar 17, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read2014
Just beautiful! I loved the letter format and the stories woven throughout. Nadira is an unforgettable character, and so are the boys she meets. A beautiful story about the power of stories to hold us together and heal us!
MrsMitchell
Mar 17, 2014 MrsMitchell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read2014
I loved so many things about this book: the letter format, Nadira's strength and bravery, the honest but beautiful portrayal of horrible events, and the stories woven throughout the main story. Most of all, I loved the message that stories bring us together and heal us.
Toni berkshire
Jun 12, 2008 Toni berkshire rated it really liked it
A young girl's search for her brother, who was stolen to be used as a camel jockey. This book was on the recommended summer reading list at my granddaughter's high school. Long way from the things we read in my day, but good to know that a more global awareness is being offered.
Donna
Nov 05, 2008 Donna rated it it was amazing
A disturbing insight into the abuse of children in the middle east as told by a teenage girl. It was worth reading.
Terri
Dec 14, 2011 Terri rated it liked it
An enjoyable little books that helps the reader remember inhumane treatment of innocent people happens daily all around the world.
Susan
Jul 24, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beehive-nominees
Awesome! Sure widened my understanding of some of the challenges a girl (boys too) face in the middle eastern countries.
Wafaa
Mar 14, 2010 Wafaa added it
I REALLY LIKED THIS BOOK. ITS ABOUT A MUSLIM GIRL NAMED NADIA WHOS GOING TO DISGUISE HER SELF AS A BOY TO RESCUE HER BELOVED BROTHER UMAR WHO WAS KIDNAPPED.
Susan Eberhardt
Jun 15, 2016 Susan Eberhardt rated it liked it
Shelves: cultural-fiction
Similar to McCormick's Sold. Short but solid. Wonderful tie in to Shahrazad and the One Thousand Nights storytelling!
doug bowman
May 11, 2012 doug bowman rated it really liked it
An engrossing YA novel which touches briefly on issues of women's rights in an Arab culture.
Kira
Kira rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2008
Eliza
Eliza rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2008
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2009
Amber Dawn
Amber Dawn rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2011
Sue Heraper
Sue Heraper rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Virgin's Knot
  • Skunk Girl
  • Chanda's Wars (Chanda, #2)
  • Project Sweet Life
  • Red Moon at Sharpsburg
  • Taking Liberty: The Story of Oney Judge, George Washington's Runaway Slave
  • Bifocal
  • Shine, Coconut Moon
Kim Antieau is the author of several novels and short stories for adults and teenagers, including Mercy, Unbound. She graduated Eastern Michigan University and lives with her husband, poet Mario Milosevic, in the Pacific Northwest. Aside from writing books, she works as a librarian.

More about Kim Antieau...