Start by marking “Simple Wishes” as Want to Read:

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  26 reviews
GOING HOME IS THE LONGEST JOURNEY OF ALL...

Adele Matin couldn't wait to put her lonely childhood and hometown behind her. Amid the bright lights and hustle and bustle of New York, she built a life for herself--until one terrible mistake brought it crashing down. Now Adele is running again, this time to a cottage she inherited from her mother in rural Pennsylvania. And she
Published January 1st 2009 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about Simple Wishes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simple Wishes

Kelly Moran
I am impressed with Simple Wishes, by Lisa Dale. Admittedly, I haven’t heard her name before doing this review, but I won’t hesitate to recommend her. Simple Wishes and Seeds of Affection are her two titles, though I am unsure which came first. Lisa Dale grew up in rural Northwestern New Jersey before attending McDaniel College in Westminster, Maryland. She worked briefly in publishing before going back to school to get an MFA in fiction at Fairleigh Dickinson University. Lisa resides in New Jer ...more
Tracy
I enjoyed every page and didn't want the book to end.
Michelle Du
This book is about how Adele lost her job in New York and gets evicted from her apartment. She has nowhere to go except for the cottage her mother left her. She goes back there just temporary but that soon changes when she meets Jay. Jay is the only thing she can think of. Meanwhile she finally has a real friend, Beatrice, she keeps a secret about her mother and Adele's life falls apart. This book was amazing. It made me realize you can't change a person but you can change how you think of that ...more
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
Adele Matin is a woman with a problem. She made a careless mistake that cost her job in New York City at an art gallery. Without a job, her apartment soon followed. She returned home to Grumble Knot on Notch Lane (don't you just love these names!), a house which her mother Marge had left to her in her will. She hadn't been back to rural Pennsylvania since she was seventeen - when she had left with these thoughts - to make it in New York City and be rid of her past and her demanding and unloving ...more
Hilcia
I've been in the mood for contemporary romances lately and decided to search for one from a new-to-me author. I do this every so often and call them my random picks. If I get lucky, I find a new author whose work I'll follow. I was unaware Simple Wishes is Lisa Dale's first contemporary romance when the above description caught my attention. As it turns out this book is about much more than the romance -- although the romance is there, I didn't find it to be the focal point of the story.

When Ade
Cheryl
Adele Martin has not been back to her hometown for many years. That changes one day when Adele learns that she has inherited a cottage from her mother located in small, rural Pennsylvania. When Adele arrives, the first thing she notices is the peace and quiet from the big city of New York. As Adele tries adjusting to her new life; she meets her new neighbor. Jay Westvelt is a bit of a mountain man but he is not your ordinary scruffy man. He is a very talented artist as well as good looking. Now ...more
Bobbie  Crawford
Written By: Lisa Dale
Published By: Forever, an imprint of Grand Central Publishing, 2009, First Edition, 384 pages, softcover
ISBN 978-0446406895

Simple Wishes was a really delightful surprise. This book has restored my faith in contemporary romance novels! The author is clearly a very gifted storyteller. The characters are well written and very down-to-earth. This is a fantastic story that left me with a warm feeling of contentment.
It has a very thought-provoking story, written very.
Anna
I didn't take to the main character at all. I finished the book to see if she would ever grow up and gain some emotional balance. I am happy to say that she did. I wouldn't say this is my favorite book, but it did resolve in a satisfying way.

The only picking I will do is in regard to the "city girl" thing. The main character grew up and the rural town she has returned to, but she doesn't know anyone in town. She remembers how to split wood but doesn't know what to do when confronted by a bear. I
Writer's Relief
Lisa Dale's debut novel is absolutely darling and soul-enriching. I relate to the heroine so much that it’s creepy, especially since I’ve had a relationship with a guy named Jay and have also struggled between the city and country life. All of the characters in here are so real that you’ll feel like a part of them are living with you, even after you've finished (at least that's how I felt).
If you're looking for a coming-of-age novel for a thirty-something woman, then this is definitely for you!
Angie
I'm on page 50 and I'm confused...the author really hasn't explained a whole lot...didn't finish it.
Christine
This was a wonderful book because it was more serious and had much more depth than a typical romance. It had a strong secondary plot which was just as interesting as the romance. The book dealt with emotional growth, how our past shapes our present, and the legacy we receive from our parents.
Wendy
The battaling of your own personal demons is one of the book styles I don't always pick up, but I'm happy I got this one. The way she works through and finally finds happiness is wonderful. I found varying degrees of myself in some of the things she was protraying and how it played out.
Bethany
Two weeks ago, I read Lisa Dale's A Promise of Safekeeping and absolutely adored it. As such, I assumed I would enjoy other books of hers. However, I was disappointed by Simple Wishes. It was not as sophisticated, witty, psychological, or clever as A Promise of Safekeeping.
Stephanie
Romance is not my favorite genre. I managed to read the entire book even though I didn't "love" it. The plot is interesting enough but it just didn't flow as far as the writing goes. Didn't hate it, didn't love it.
Sue
This book got my attention from the first page till the last. I'ved every monute of it! And the end I thought I had it figured out and it was a total surprise to me. I cannot wait to read Lisa's next book!
Tricia
Chick-lit with some serious emotional stuff packed in. A good beach or poolside read.
Click here for my full review.
Jenny
Lisa Dale is a very talented up and coming author. I truly enjoyed every page of this book and by the end, felt like I knew the characters personally. I can't wait for her next novel.
Lori Masterson
Excellent book. Love Lisa'a writing style and how her characters come to life. Story about a young woman who is finding out who she really is and who her mother really was.
Tierra
Adele was the MOST annoying character I have ever read about. The only reason I gave it 3 stars is because I liked all the other characters.
Starla B
This book was alright. I spent the entire time wanting to slap the main character, but I guess any reaction is a good reaction, right?
Maggie
I would like to give this 3.5. I liked this book and I liked the characters but I didn't LOVE it.
Virginia
A silly story...light and easy to read...perfect book to read after a deep dark tome.
Cindy
a really good book with some thought-provoking issues.
Melanie Horsman
Not great. Repetitive about negative aspects.
Erin
what a good book! I would recommend it.
Lisa
Ditto to Tricia's review...
Dolly ♡
Dolly ♡ marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Megan Lynn
Megan Lynn marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Wish You Were Here
  • Seeing Red
  • Chosen by Desire (The Guardians of Destiny, #2)
  • Demon's Hunger (Compact of Sorcerers, #2)
  • Too Far Gone (SEAL Team 12, #6)
  • Talk of the Town
  • Between the Sheets
  • The Peony Pavilion: Mudan ting
  • Vexing the Viscount (Leisure Historical Romance)
  • Skinny Dipping
  • Highland Rebel: A Tale of a Rebellious Lady and a Traitorous Lord
  • Leaving Whiskey Bend
  • For the Love of Pete
  • How Sweet It is
  • Lucan (Pendragon Legacy #1)
  • Love with the Perfect Scoundrel (Widows Club, #3)
  • A Hint of Wicked (James Family, #1)
  • Holly Would Dream
A lifelong bookworm, Lisa Dale is a firm believer that there are few things in life better than curling up with a novel and a cup of tea. Lisa Dale grew up in rural Northwestern New Jersey before attending McDaniel College in Westminster, Maryland. She worked briefly in publishing before going back to school to get an MFA in fiction at Fairleigh Dickinson University. A nominee for Best New America ...more
More about Lisa Dale...
Slow Dancing on Price's Pier It Happened One Night A Promise of Safekeeping Magia dragostei