Start by marking “Wednesday Comics” as Want to Read:
Wednesday Comics

Wednesday Comics

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  711 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
This outsized hardcover edition collects the entire critically acclaimed Wednesday Comics series that revisited the classic weekly newspaper full-page comics section. It features 16-different stories starring the World's Greatest Super Heroes including Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Flash, Metamorpho and the Metal Men, written and Illustrated by some of ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Wednesday Comics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wednesday Comics

Keith
Aug 10, 2012 Keith rated it really liked it
I've tried this behemoth several times, but never made it all the way through -- gave it a more serious shot this time and I'm glad I did. This sort of project shows off why DC serves up my superhero comics of choice, despite the fact that the company as a whole flounders and gets it wrong almost constantly in comparison to the House of Ideas.

But Wednesday Comics is equal parts art, retro camp, classic, and bizarre. I love that. I love reading through the comments and seeing that everyone has va
Sridhar Reddy
Jul 05, 2010 Sridhar Reddy rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
"Wednesday Comics" is a throwback to a bygone era of when comic strips had a prominent place in the American newspaper. Originally published in 2009 as oversized broadsheet tabloids printed weekly on newsprint, the series harkens the full-page glory of old Winsor McCay strips with the full color of the Sunday pages in the 70s and 80s.

The final results are imbalanced in that many of the storylines cannot keep up with the splendid artwork and regal format of the series. But at their worst the stor
Sesana
Like with all anthologies, the rating is really splitting the difference. Some of the stories here were fantastic, others... not so much.

The best stories were The Demon and the Catwoman (Teaming up Catwoman and Etrigan was... unexpected. It ended up being fun, even if Catwoman was largely absent in the middle.), Deadman (A character I know little about, but a very interesting story that seemed to really work to his stengths.), Kamandi (Post-apocalyptic and fabulous), Supergirl (Cute and somewhat
M
Jul 30, 2011 M rated it really liked it
DC's "newspaper experiment" is a sight to behold and a treasure to read. Collecting the 12-issue series which allowed populars writers, artists, and characters to be crafted in classic newspaper-style format, Wednesday Comics offers treats for everyone. Brian Azzarello provides a gritty Batman murder mystery, Walt Simonson pairs up the Demon with Catwoman for a mystical theft, and Ben Caldwell offers a visually stunning Wonder Woman tale; other highlights include Kamandi by Dave Gibbons, Amanda ...more
J.
Feb 06, 2011 J. rated it liked it
This was a gloriously fantastic idea, and at the best of times, the huge size is magnificent for showcasing the art. That being said, the stories and art are incredibly inconsistent. The best stories, like Metamorpho, Flash, the Demon, and Supergirl, all have a significant hook--particularly the Supergirl story, which is hilarious, and the Flash, which is like some awesome episode of Twilight Zone. The Superman and Wonder Woman stories both have incredible art, but neither one has a particularly ...more
Jacob
Jan 05, 2013 Jacob rated it it was amazing
Public library copy.

I'd love to add this $50 book to my own library someday. I think even the most sophisticated comic book reader won't like all the stories presented here, but there's enough diversity that at least a few tales should appeal to the masses. I really enjoyed the long, vertical presentation with bigger pages (blown up art) compared to the size standardization of most books, but it does make for unusual handling trying to find comfort. For those complaining about discomfort reading
Terry
Sep 01, 2010 Terry rated it really liked it
Wednesday Comics was a 12-week experiment DC Comics ran last summer. Every week a new newspaper-sized comic was released with each page continuing a character’s story from the week before.

Of course major characters like Batman, Superman, and Green Lantern were featured, but some of the more compelling stories featured Kamandi, the last human on a future world inhabited by sentient animals; and Metamorpho, whose ability to transform into any element is lampooned by writer Neil Gaiman.

Since it was
Rick
Jun 01, 2010 Rick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Throughout the 30s, 40s, and 50s, adventure strips dominated the Sunday newspaper comics pages. Oversized, full color pages featured the thrilling tales of Prince Valiant, Tarzan, Flash Gordon, and countless others. Under the guidance of DC art director Mark Chiarello, Wednesday Comics successfully re-captured this lost era with a series of oversized weeklies à la the Sunday funnies (dubbed Wednesday rather than Sunday in honor of the day new comics arrive in stores). This beautiful 11"x17" 200- ...more
Quentin Wallace
Jan 04, 2016 Quentin Wallace rated it really liked it
This one was a mixed bag, but more good than bad. It has a pretty top notch group of creators. The idea was to recreate the old newspaper adventure comic strips, and this series were originally purposed as a series of tabloid sized newspapers. I read the hardcover, but I have to say I didn't care for the format. The book is HUGE, as in 14x20. It is supposed to the size of a tabloid newspaper, but it just seemed too awkward for me.

I enjoyed most of the stories. I thought the weaker stories were W
Martin
Jun 15, 2014 Martin rated it really liked it
I like that DC Comics tries new & different things with their creative projects, such as this very book and Solo: top industry talent(*) (view spoiler) collaborating on short stories. This book allowed me to read stuff from some of my favourite creators, but also to discover new ones as well.

As with any collection of the sort, and depending on yo
Brian
Jun 30, 2010 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Paul Pope's Strange Adventures was the best of the bunch!
Morgan
Nov 02, 2013 Morgan rated it it was ok
Fire everyone who isn't Paul Pope.
Russell Grant
Jul 29, 2011 Russell Grant rated it really liked it
First off, the book itself is a sight to behold. Oversized like nothing out there in order to keep the newspaper format, the quality of print and paper is ridiculous. It's entertaining just to flip through, never mind reading it. Thankfully for the most part, all the stories are up to the large format challenge. the odd thing is, it's the second tear characters that do better. Dave Gibbons take on KAMANDI is one of the best shorts I've ever seen. Nail Gaiman and Michael Allred experiment like cr ...more
Keya
Sep 19, 2012 Keya rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, favorites, owned
A beautiful work of art and a must have for any serious comic fan. While you should be getting this for the art, the writing on most of the stories is nothing to scoff at. After reading this, even though it'd be ridiculous and unwieldy, I wish all comics were printed in this ultra large panel format. It really makes each panel something to marvel at.

Anyways, enough with the gushing. Depending on your reading/art tastes your mileage will vary from story to story. My top picks were Supergirl, bot
Mark
Dec 12, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it
In 2009, McSweeney’s 33 was the San Francisco Panorama, a reminder that, once upon a time, newspapers were beautiful, expansive, and artistic. Included in this one-time edition was a sixteen-page comics section, full-size and glorious, hearkening back to Will Eisner’s Spirit heyday and featuring work by contemporary cartooning geniuses like Art Spiegelman and Dan Clowes.

The McSweeney’s experiment may have been partly inspired by DC’s twelve-week Wednesday Comics event, which began in July of 200
Craig
Aug 23, 2012 Craig rated it really liked it
This is an excellent collection, a really fun (and really big) book. It includes fifteen over-sized newspaper-style stories showcasing the best of DC. Surprisingly, some of the second-tier characters' stories are the ones that really stand out. The Batman, Demon & Catwoman, Deadman, and Superman were okay, and Hawkman, Green Lantern, and Flash were great. My two favorite books when I was very young were Metal Men and Sgt. Rock, and I particularly enjoyed seeing them again, especially a Rock ...more
Nour
Dec 23, 2012 Nour rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Batman: He's like a freakin' black-widow-magnet assassinator! All the women in his life die. And yet I still find it hard to ever sympathise with the bat.
Kamandi: Cute lions and tigers <3 Too much narration, didn't like the narrative style overall really.
Superman: Cute but boring, I would have been more interested in a genuine crisis of faith and the human race. Tied up too nicely, though not predictable, I'll give it that.
Deadman: I wanted more backstory, interesting concept, not interesting
Andrew Shafer
Dec 16, 2011 Andrew Shafer rated it it was amazing
The Good
Superman: The story was fun and even if it wasn't lee Berejmo's art makes everything worthwile.
Green lantern: was cool to go back to early Hal Jordan style for a bit.
Teen titans: the art in here rocked and its always fun to see the brother routine from the Robins.
Supergirl: Krypto. Nuff said.
The flash: The comic within a comic style was cool.

The Bad
Batman: Confusing , and that last section was just EW.
Metamorpho: The art was less than good and the story tried to hard to be funny and also
Stephen
Nov 11, 2013 Stephen rated it liked it
I was ambivalent the minute I heard about this experiment. The generation that fondly remembers the Sunday comic section as the most exciting entertainment all week outgrew comics around 1940. Harkening back to the days of yesteryear with newspaper comics had mistake written all over it, formatwise. And that was a shame because some of the art in this book was to die for.

I'm a fan of standardization. Take lightbulbs for example: How would you like to have different manufacturers come up with a
Travis
Oct 04, 2013 Travis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
A glorious, though only partly successful experiment.
The format resembles the sunday comics and the stories are written to fit that.
Most work and the rest are Batman and Wonder Woman.

A wide range of artists and writers make this a interesting mix of stories and styles. The writers capable of being old school fare the best.
The writers that came from the generation of writing for the trade really come across as almost unable to write a short story.

The pictures are big and colorful, the stories ar
Acton Northrop
Jun 12, 2015 Acton Northrop rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A mixed bag to be sure but Mike Allred doing Metamorpho is an auto-5 star rating. 2nd best: DiDio/Garcia-Lopez Metal Men!
Craig
Dec 16, 2012 Craig rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
Originally presented as a 12 issue weekly series featuring 15 different stories, one page devoted to each story every week. The format was that of a newspaper, the collected version is an over sized book. I'm not crazy about either format. My favorite out of the 15 was the Flash story. Other than that, the rest were mediocre, including Batman and Superman. Some of the stories didn't do a real good job at capturing the serialized format, the way daily comics do in the newspaper. It really was a g ...more
Ben
Apr 14, 2012 Ben rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Really inspirational for me to see how each creative team tackled the unique "sunday" format. One that really stood out for me was the green lantern story: The artwork was amazing and they threw elements of "the right stuff" into it, and I love that movie. The flash story was similarly spectacular. The tone of much of the material was a mix of parody and reverence for the golden age. I don't read superhero comics much these days unless it is something special and peripheral like this.
Don
Jun 20, 2010 Don rated it it was ok
The idea was better then the execution. Most of the strips were average, at best. Only two of the fifteen strips that made the final cut ("Metamorpho" and "The Flash") took successful advantage of the over-sized format and one ("Wonder Woman") was almost unreadable.

They weren't all bad, though. I enjoyed "Kamandi" quite a bit. The aforementioned "Metemorpho" was good. "Supergirl" was fun. However, overall, the book is just kind of standard superhero stuff.
Lunchboxavenger
Apr 12, 2012 Lunchboxavenger rated it it was amazing
Some amazing stories in here. I will ignore the Superman and Teen Titans for the sake of the score. Those two subtract a star each for the disappointment. Most notable are the Adam Strange and Hawkman stories. The Green Lantern one is a an excellent golden age era tale. The Wonder Woman set is a good story hampered by over eager layouts, if you aren't comfortable with the visual language of comics then this one will frustrate.
Sonic
Oct 26, 2011 Sonic rated it liked it
Shelves: not-finished
Had to return this to the library, did not read it all, and probably won't.
There is an enormous amount of talent here, and it is/was really interesting to see how well they work with this format, which is really different from your usual "comic-book" or "graphic novel."

Many writer/artist teams completely failed to produce anything satisfying, but much of the art in this book is gorgeous!
Tif
Jul 11, 2012 Tif rated it liked it
It's a good collection, but while the size makes for a fun reading experience early on, eventually it becomes laborious to heft around, making the over-sized format a little impractical. Unless you have a really big coffee table on which to stow it.

Also, Aquaman and the entire undersea nation has cable. And he talks through a clam. That really stood out to me for some reason.
Matt
Aug 29, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing
Such fun stuff. Some of the stories are really strong, like Flash, Adam Strange, Kamandi, and Batman, while some are a bit weaker, like Metal Men, Superman, and Wonder Woman. But all of them have a little bit of something to offer, and they all make great use of the oversized format.
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 11, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
Beautifully produced and illustrated comics. Some are shallow and some are deep, but they're all pretty notable (except that horrendous Wonder Woman). Sadly, the huge form factor leaves something to be desired. It was hard to get home, hard to read, and sometimes hurt my wrists.
Joy
Jan 18, 2011 Joy rated it it was ok
Maybe weekly strips just aren't my speed, but as much as I wanted to love these stories, they just didn't grab me. Even the Gaiman piece fell flat, which is a rare thing in my taste. Some gorgeous art, but the story lines themselves seemed stilted.
  • Justice Society Returns
  • 75 Years Of DC Comics. The Art of Modern Mythmaking
  • Justice League International, Vol. 2
  • Batman: Faces
  • The Spirit, Vol. 2
  • JSA: The Golden Age (Justice Society of America)
  • The Mammoth Book of Best Crime Comics
  • The Best American Comics 2010
  • Secret Six, Vol. 1: Unhinged
  • Gotham Central, Vol. 3: Unresolved Targets
  • Batman Illustrated, Vol. 1
Mark Chiarello was born on Halloween in 1960. His book "Heroes of the Negro Leagues" (Abrams Publishing) was named the second best sports book of 2007 by Amazon.com. A graduate of Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY, Mark was fortunate enough to have as roommates, Kent Williams, John Van Fleet, and George Pratt. He worked as an illustrator for DisneyWorld for a short time in the 1980’s, then went on t ...more
More about Mark Chiarello...