Start by marking “Horizons of Cosmology” as Want to Read:
Horizons of Cosmology

Horizons of Cosmology

Horizons of Cosmology: Exploring Worlds Seen and Unseen is the fourth title published in the Templeton Science and Religion Series, in which scientists from a wide range of fields distill their experience and knowledge into brief tours of their respective specialties. In this volume, highly esteemed astrophysicist Joseph Silk explores the vast mysteries and speculations of ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Templeton Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Horizons of Cosmology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horizons of Cosmology

Callum Iles
Jul 11, 2011 Callum Iles rated it really liked it
I am an avid fan of the West Wing, and one thing I have always said about it is that the show is way smarter than me, but I like that it lets me tag along anyway. In a way Horizons Of Cosmology is similar. Gone are the walls of The White House, replaced with the indefinable expanse of the expanding multiverse around us.
Whilst still being a complex read, Joseph Silk reduces the phenomenally difficult concepts of theoretical physics and cosmology to bite size chapters that lay-people can make some
Gendou
Dec 20, 2010 Gendou rated it really liked it
Interesting survey of modern cosmology.
I felt like it was very watered down, which actually made some parts difficult to follow, since technical terms were avoided or introduced but not examined thoroughly.

I was happy that this book kept it modern, not diving too deep into the murky waters of historical cosmology.

I thought the treatment of Anthropic arguments and multiverse theory was fair, if not a little lenient.

I happened to notice one mistake. Silk is talking about Anthropic arguments, and h
Gundopush
Jul 10, 2014 Gundopush rated it liked it
I once heard it said that "There are only five people in the world who understand quantum mechanics, and two of them are lying." (Maybe the number depends on if someone is watching them lie.) Silk is clearly one of those other three. His discussion of advanced cosmological, mathematical, astronomical and quantum theories obviously come from a brilliant mind.

The book falters because Silk lacks the common touch of Hawking and Greene when trying to explain advanced concepts in ways understandable
Ken
Ken rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Andre Jakurski
Andre Jakurski rated it really liked it
May 22, 2013
Juan Carlos
Juan Carlos rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2013
Juan Gonzalez
Juan Gonzalez rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Shakir Bahzad
Shakir Bahzad rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2012
Khalil
Khalil rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2013
James
James rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2011
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2010
Gihuerta
Gihuerta marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2012
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2012
Hend
Hend marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Godfrey Robinson
Godfrey Robinson is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2016
Luke Farai
Luke Farai marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Bilal
Bilal added it
Jun 04, 2016
Erdogan Cicek
Erdogan Cicek marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016