Start by marking “In My Family/En mi familia” as Want to Read:
In My Family/En mi familia

In My Family/En mi familia

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  44 reviews
In her eagerly-awaited second book for children, In My Family/En mi familia, internationally-renowned artist Carmen Lomas Garza takes us once again to her hometown of Kingsville, Texas, near the border with Mexico. Through vibrant paintings and warm personal stories, Carmen brings to life more loving memories of growing up in a traditional Mexican American community: eatin ...more
Published February 17th 2000 by Children's Book Press (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about In My Family/En mi familia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In My Family/En mi familia

The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred by Samantha R. VamosToo Many Tamales by Gary SotoThe Wild Book by Margarita EngleFrida by Jonah WinterThe Tree Is Older Than You Are by Naomi Shihab Nye
Timeless Latinos Children's Books
7th out of 80 books — 11 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsThe Rough-Face Girl by Rafe MartinMufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John SteptoeWhistle for Willie by Ezra Jack KeatsRuth and the Green Book by Calvin Alexander Ramsey
Multicultural Children's Lit
88th out of 324 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

(NS) Amie
In my Family/En Mi Familia is written and illustrated by one of the foremost Mexican American Painters. Carmen Lomas Garza gives us little stories on each page of her book about memories from growing up in a traditional Mexican American community, first in English then in Spanish. I enjoyed learning a lot about Mexican traditions from reading this book. Some of my favorites were Easter Eggs, Healer and The Weeping Woman. Students K-8th grade would enjoy this book, although stories like The Weepi ...more
Kari
This book features various stories of the author’s childhood and culture. It gives family stories of wedding and birthdays and stories of cultural significance like the one about the “Virgin of Guadalupe." It has both English and Spanish text, so it would be a great tool to use for English language learners or students learning Spanish. It is a multicultural/international picture book, and it received the Pura Belpre Award and the Tomas Rivera Mexican American Children’s Book Award. Themes inclu ...more
Rene
Using her amazingly detailed paintings of everyday family life and treasured childhood memories, Carmen Loma Garza brings her life to life for young readers in both English and Spanish. The paintings in this book are so detailed, they are like reading a story on their own, each one with so many family and friends and so many details that share an authentic glimpse into the life events that swirl around a young Mexican American girl growing up in Texas in the 1950's. The voice of the writing is t ...more
Leane
"In My Family/En Mi Familia" is author and illustrator Carmen Lomas Garza's second book about a Mexican-American girl's experiences. It is very much like a photo album, except original artwork replaces photographs. "In My Family/En Mi Familia" is basically a series of paintings that tell Garza's story as a little girl growing up in Kingston, Texas, a town on the border of the United States and Mexico. Many of her paintings are pictures that depict Mexican cultural experiences. One of my favorite ...more
Maribel Galvez
Grade/interest level: Upper Elementary (3-5)
Reading level: 3.9 (Lexile 680L)
Genre: Multicultural, Picture Book

Main Characters: Carmen and her family
Setting: Kingsville, Texas
POV: Carmen

The illustrations in the book are paintings by Carmen Lomas Garza, which tell stories of her childhood growing up in Kingsville, Texas near the Mexican border. She remembers watching her brother play with horned toads in the hot sun in the middle of the day, seeing her grandfather shaving off thorns from freshl
Tammie
A book of the life of a young spanish girl,Carmen, growing up in Texas. The story is in English and Spanish.The book could be used read out loud to younger younger students, as a phonological tool, and to talk about language, ours, and others. It depicts the stories and celebrations of Carmen and her family. She paints family instead of phtograpghing them, but it is her family she paints. I found this a wonderfully interesting story. It is realisitc and colorful, definately can hold even young r ...more
Nicole Godinez
When I was home schooled I was the only Latin girl in my class. I had a hard time adjusting and meeting to others in the program. My mom read this book to me and to be honest this was the first book that actually inspired me to draw and paint because of its vivid colors and the culture came alive in this book. This book also talked about the Mexican culture and community. I could relate to this book because of the culture and growing up in a traditional Mexican family. Each character reminded me ...more
Michelle Otero
This was my life growing up in a Cuban American family down to every detail. Every page brought me back to where I came from.
Rian
Summary: This picture book is like a family album, with paintings instead of photographs.

Response: I love Carmen Lomas Garza'a painting style - her use of color and the way she captures detail and expressions in a somewhat folk-art style are utterly beautiful. Her explanations of each painting are beautifully and simply written, highlighting cultural details that are new to me (windows) while emphasizing the warmth and love of family and the simple moments they share that we can ALL relate to (m
Sharon Medina
This book is about Carmen Garza’s true life events of a traditional Mexican-American community. The stories are written in English and in Spanish to be shared. Garza shares events such as wedding, making empanadas as a family, making cascarones. Garza also shared special events such as the blessing that the mother gives before her daughter gets married and a family trip to go see the Virgin of Guadalupe that had appeared on a water tank.

Genre: Non-Fiction Literature
Suggest Age: 8 to 12 years old
J-Lynn
This bilingual English/Spanish book could be read as a read aloud, or the individual pictures and their descriptions could be used as stand alone resources.

The pictures and the stories come from Garza's own childhood and family stories. The illustrations border on cartoon realism with intricate background detail combined with stiff human figures.

I think this book would be most useful as an artist study--looking into Carmen Lomas Garza's art.
Leticia Resendiz
I really enjoyed this picture book. I like the way Garza painted these drawings to demonstrate her culture and the culture of many of the Latinos living in the United States. It is a really good book to use in class for a Spanish or in a class/school with a Latino population. Likewise it is good to demonstrate the Mexican American culture to other cultures. I really enjoyed what Carmen Lomas Garza had to say about each picture in the book.
Amanda Hamal
This book is really great for a multicultural classroom or family. It doesn't have a typical storyline with a beginning, middle, and end, but instead has several mini true stories based on the author's childhood. They are more of memories than stories, but they share great cultural insight and are potentially very relatable for many young students. It is a bilingual book, and is written in both English and Spanish, which is also neat.
Stephanie
A book of memories that take place in Kingsville, Texas, near the border of Mexico. The pictures are in full color and the memories are personal. Carmen Lomas Garza grew up in a very traditional Mexican-American community and her books really give the reader a clear depiction of what it was like.

Activity- Each child should create a diorama of their family, and share some of their favorite memories.
Breana Vining
The author of this book, Carmen Garza, includes excerpts about her life and what it was like growing up in her hometown. I would say that this book serves as a biography and I think that this book is culturally relevant for the classroom, especially since there are so many Spanish speaking students in the classrooms today. [This book is not to be used as a read aloud.:]
Hannah Jefferson
This is an autobiographical book which, as others have likened it, reads like a family album. The text is in English and Spanish and will familiarize children with customs and even wildlife which is not found in many parts of the country.

This book would be useful to teach about life near the Mexican border or in a Spanish class.
Hope Johnson
This is a great book for ESOL children. Since the book is both in English and Spanish, it can help Spanish speaking children out with English words having hem both on the page. It also teaches children a lot about Hispanic culture. It explains different parts of their culture in a way that is easy for children to understand.
Lorraine Robinson
This book is great to have in the class for ELLs and children of Hispanic descent. It can be used to talk about families of other cultures. Have English and Spanish so children who are fluent in Spanish can feel proud to read something in their native language. It can also be helpful in comparing English to Spanish words.
529_Gary
Carmen Lomas Garza gives us vibrant paintings and a story to go along with them. She tells us stories of the different things that her family had done. This book is good to use for bilingual students because it has English and Spanish text on each page. It is perfect to share some aspects of the latino culture.
Kirei
I love the artwork in this book. Some of it may be a bit strange for little kids though. For example, my son totally did not understand the earache remedy picture. (And neither did I, to tell the truth.)
I paraphrased the text rather than read it out loud because I thought it was a little dry.
Brittnee
This is written in Spanish and English, so it is great to ESOL students. The Pictures drawn by the author about her family traditions. This book can be used to teach students about different cultures or to value cultures present in the classroom that may be different from their own.
Megan MacDonald
This book explains through words and pictures the traditions of a Mexican American family and community. Written in Spanish and English, the reader will get an idea of what it would be like to experience the Spanish social life and customs and the fun they have together.
Maria Rizo-campos
I like this book because it brings alive how Mexican people celebrate with the family. There are beautiful and colored pictures, it is a bilingual book, and there is showed the Mexican Culture and traditions. It is an easy book to read and to share with the family.
Sharmin
This book shows memories of a Mexican-American family. The illustrations depict the culture of the Latinos living in the United States. This book is very interesting and informative. Students will be able to relate. Great read during Hispanic heritage month!
Caroline Barnett
I would use this book as culture study of Mexican-American Families. This book would be a great book to have in class so students can relate to or learn more about the Mexican Culture that is so much a part of the United States.
Jessica
Written in Spanish and English. Pictures painted by the author about her family traditions. Can be used to teach students about different cultures or to value cultures present in the classroom that may be different.
Sandy Gamiño
This is a non-fiction children's book filled with colorful paintings and stories. These stories contain memories of growing up in the traditional Mexican-American community in Texas which is the author's hometown.
Ragina
Excellent book, I use it in my beginning Spanish classes when introducing "family" vocabulary. Students write and illustrate their own family traditions in Spanish or English, whichever is their native tongue.
Christine Turner
PLN Theme Family Communication

The author describes, in bilingual text and illustrations, her experiences growing up in an Hispanic community in Texas. www.hcpl.net

Non-fiction: J306.85 Lom

Marianne (Mia) Emery
Written both in Spanish and English, this beautifully illustrated book tells of unique memories of a young girl growing up in the valley of South Texas and the traditions of her Hispanic family.
In My Family/En mi familia 1 8 Oct 05, 2009 02:19AM
  • Gathering the Sun: An Alphabet In Spanish And English
  • Just a Minute!
  • Gracias/Thanks
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • Chato's Kitchen
  • Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back
  • What Can You Do with a Paleta?
  • The Storyteller's Candle/La velita de los cuentos
  • Ruby's Wish
  • Hairs/Pelitos
  • Martina the Beautiful Cockroach: A Cuban Folktale
  • Maria Had a Little Llama / María Tenía Una Llamita
Family Pictures / Cuadros de Familia Magic Windows/Ventanas magicas Making Magic Windows/Creating Papel Picado: Cut Paper Art with Carmen Lomas Garza A Piece of My Heart/Pedacito De Mi Corazon: The Art of Carmen Lomas Garza Vejigantes Masquerade