Start by marking “In My Family/En mi familia” as Want to Read:
In My Family/En mi familia

In My Family/En mi familia

In her eagerly-awaited second book for children, In My Family/En mi familia, internationally-renowned artist Carmen Lomas Garza takes us once again to her hometown of Kingsville, Texas, near the border with Mexico. Through vibrant paintings and warm personal stories, Carmen brings to life more loving memories of growing up in a traditional Mexican American community: eatin ...more
Published February 17th 2000 by Children's Book Press (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about In My Family/En mi familia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In My Family/En mi familia

Cynda
When I was a graduate student, Lomas went to Kingsville to visit her family in the early 1900s. While she was there, she gave a presentation at the university's art gallery. She is one of several famous artists who graduated from that same university in South Texas, including Amado Pena. Lomas' main professor teased her about her problems with perspective. My non-artist self cannot detect that problem here. She may have worked that out. They reason she probably had that proble, with perspective ...more
Kari
Aug 01, 2010 Kari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book features various stories of the author’s childhood and culture. It gives family stories of wedding and birthdays and stories of cultural significance like the one about the “Virgin of Guadalupe." It has both English and Spanish text, so it would be a great tool to use for English language learners or students learning Spanish. It is a multicultural/international picture book, and it received the Pura Belpre Award and the Tomas Rivera Mexican American Children’s Book Award. Themes inclu ...more
 (NS) Amie
In my Family/En Mi Familia is written and illustrated by one of the foremost Mexican American Painters. Carmen Lomas Garza gives us little stories on each page of her book about memories from growing up in a traditional Mexican American community, first in English then in Spanish. I enjoyed learning a lot about Mexican traditions from reading this book. Some of my favorites were Easter Eggs, Healer and The Weeping Woman. Students K-8th grade would enjoy this book, although stories like The Weepi ...more
RLL22016Mirella Carreno
Sep 23, 2016 RLL22016Mirella Carreno rated it really liked it
Basically, since I'm Hispanic, I can relate to many of the scenarios the author places us in as we see her art. Each picture is like looking at a picture from a scrapbook. As she talked, I felt myself think back to my own memories with my family. I think she did a great job of relaying our culture to others. Other cultures can relate as well because, after all, we all have families of our very own.
Katherine
This book is about the author's paintings/illustrations and the stories behind them in an autobiographical sense. Each page is a different memory the author remembers from ther childhood and culture. Along with the picutre, the text is inluded both in English and Spanish on the page. Her ethnicity and culture comes from the Hispnic and Latin American side. This story will grab children's attention because there many different stories ranging from family celebrations, traditions, to myths in the ...more
Rene
Using her amazingly detailed paintings of everyday family life and treasured childhood memories, Carmen Loma Garza brings her life to life for young readers in both English and Spanish. The paintings in this book are so detailed, they are like reading a story on their own, each one with so many family and friends and so many details that share an authentic glimpse into the life events that swirl around a young Mexican American girl growing up in Texas in the 1950's. The voice of the writing is t ...more
Vamos a Leer
May 06, 2015 Vamos a Leer rated it really liked it
Lomas Garza’s desire to celebrate her Mexican American identity makes this book a great resource for introducing Hispanic Heritage Month in the classroom.
Created over a span of 11 years, the paintings show scenes of colorful, lively, symbolic images specific to life in a Mexican-American family living near the U.S./Mexico borderlands. The text and pictures complement each other with reoccurring themes such as family, food, rural life, religious and healing traditions, multi-generational gatherin
Leane
Jan 30, 2011 Leane rated it really liked it
"In My Family/En Mi Familia" is author and illustrator Carmen Lomas Garza's second book about a Mexican-American girl's experiences. It is very much like a photo album, except original artwork replaces photographs. "In My Family/En Mi Familia" is basically a series of paintings that tell Garza's story as a little girl growing up in Kingston, Texas, a town on the border of the United States and Mexico. Many of her paintings are pictures that depict Mexican cultural experiences. One of my favorite ...more
Maribel Galvez
Oct 19, 2012 Maribel Galvez rated it it was amazing
Grade/interest level: Upper Elementary (3-5)
Reading level: 3.9 (Lexile 680L)
Genre: Multicultural, Picture Book

Main Characters: Carmen and her family
Setting: Kingsville, Texas
POV: Carmen

The illustrations in the book are paintings by Carmen Lomas Garza, which tell stories of her childhood growing up in Kingsville, Texas near the Mexican border. She remembers watching her brother play with horned toads in the hot sun in the middle of the day, seeing her grandfather shaving off thorns from freshl
Nicole Godinez
Mar 04, 2012 Nicole Godinez rated it really liked it
When I was home schooled I was the only Latin girl in my class. I had a hard time adjusting and meeting to others in the program. My mom read this book to me and to be honest this was the first book that actually inspired me to draw and paint because of its vivid colors and the culture came alive in this book. This book also talked about the Mexican culture and community. I could relate to this book because of the culture and growing up in a traditional Mexican family. Each character reminded me ...more
Rian
Feb 02, 2009 Rian rated it it was amazing
Summary: This picture book is like a family album, with paintings instead of photographs.

Response: I love Carmen Lomas Garza'a painting style - her use of color and the way she captures detail and expressions in a somewhat folk-art style are utterly beautiful. Her explanations of each painting are beautifully and simply written, highlighting cultural details that are new to me (windows) while emphasizing the warmth and love of family and the simple moments they share that we can ALL relate to (m
Tammie
Sep 29, 2012 Tammie rated it really liked it
A book of the life of a young spanish girl,Carmen, growing up in Texas. The story is in English and Spanish.The book could be used read out loud to younger younger students, as a phonological tool, and to talk about language, ours, and others. It depicts the stories and celebrations of Carmen and her family. She paints family instead of phtograpghing them, but it is her family she paints. I found this a wonderfully interesting story. It is realisitc and colorful, definately can hold even young r ...more
Sharon Medina
This book is about Carmen Garza’s true life events of a traditional Mexican-American community. The stories are written in English and in Spanish to be shared. Garza shares events such as wedding, making empanadas as a family, making cascarones. Garza also shared special events such as the blessing that the mother gives before her daughter gets married and a family trip to go see the Virgin of Guadalupe that had appeared on a water tank.

Genre: Non-Fiction Literature
Suggest Age: 8 to 12 years old
KimberleyC
May 01, 2016 KimberleyC rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that can be read in a bilingual classroom like mine without having to read the text. The illustrations explain the story all on their own and the children can quickly share out their experiences and personal connections with one another. This is a good one to read at the beginning of the school year when you want the kids to tell about themselves to get to know them a little more.
Leticia Resendiz
I really enjoyed this picture book. I like the way Garza painted these drawings to demonstrate her culture and the culture of many of the Latinos living in the United States. It is a really good book to use in class for a Spanish or in a class/school with a Latino population. Likewise it is good to demonstrate the Mexican American culture to other cultures. I really enjoyed what Carmen Lomas Garza had to say about each picture in the book.
Amanda Hamal
Dec 06, 2013 Amanda Hamal rated it really liked it
This book is really great for a multicultural classroom or family. It doesn't have a typical storyline with a beginning, middle, and end, but instead has several mini true stories based on the author's childhood. They are more of memories than stories, but they share great cultural insight and are potentially very relatable for many young students. It is a bilingual book, and is written in both English and Spanish, which is also neat.
Erin Saaranen
In this true story, Carmen takes us to her hometown of Kingsville, Texas. She was raised in a Mexican-American community and shows readers the differences in values between both cultures.

This book is written in both Spanish and English. Like an earlier book that I read, it is always good to immerse students in the Spanish language. This would be good to read to students in both languages at a time so that they get a glimpse at the Spanish language.
Stephanie
Nov 06, 2010 Stephanie rated it liked it
A book of memories that take place in Kingsville, Texas, near the border of Mexico. The pictures are in full color and the memories are personal. Carmen Lomas Garza grew up in a very traditional Mexican-American community and her books really give the reader a clear depiction of what it was like.

Activity- Each child should create a diorama of their family, and share some of their favorite memories.
J-Lynn
This bilingual English/Spanish book could be read as a read aloud, or the individual pictures and their descriptions could be used as stand alone resources.

The pictures and the stories come from Garza's own childhood and family stories. The illustrations border on cartoon realism with intricate background detail combined with stiff human figures.

I think this book would be most useful as an artist study--looking into Carmen Lomas Garza's art.
529_Gary
May 28, 2011 529_Gary rated it really liked it
Carmen Lomas Garza gives us vibrant paintings and a story to go along with them. She tells us stories of the different things that her family had done. This book is good to use for bilingual students because it has English and Spanish text on each page. It is perfect to share some aspects of the latino culture.
Hope Johnson
Apr 08, 2011 Hope Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, hispanic
This is a great book for ESOL children. Since the book is both in English and Spanish, it can help Spanish speaking children out with English words having hem both on the page. It also teaches children a lot about Hispanic culture. It explains different parts of their culture in a way that is easy for children to understand.
Breana Vining
Jan 23, 2010 Breana Vining rated it liked it
The author of this book, Carmen Garza, includes excerpts about her life and what it was like growing up in her hometown. I would say that this book serves as a biography and I think that this book is culturally relevant for the classroom, especially since there are so many Spanish speaking students in the classrooms today. [This book is not to be used as a read aloud.:]
Crystal
Sep 24, 2014 Crystal rated it really liked it
Carmen Lomas Garza shares vignettes about her childhood and family through text and her artwork. They are glimpses into the daily life and celebrations that she grew up with and that shaped her. This would be a great mentor text for personal narrative. The text is presented in both English and Spanish and the book is a celebration of her culture.
Hannah Jefferson
This is an autobiographical book which, as others have likened it, reads like a family album. The text is in English and Spanish and will familiarize children with customs and even wildlife which is not found in many parts of the country.

This book would be useful to teach about life near the Mexican border or in a Spanish class.
Lorraine Robinson
This book is great to have in the class for ELLs and children of Hispanic descent. It can be used to talk about families of other cultures. Have English and Spanish so children who are fluent in Spanish can feel proud to read something in their native language. It can also be helpful in comparing English to Spanish words.
Kristi
May 28, 2016 Kristi rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated with Spanish and English versions of each vignette on the same page. I used this text as a visual literacy lesson to build background knowledge before my students began reading The Circuit.
Megan MacDonald
This book explains through words and pictures the traditions of a Mexican American family and community. Written in Spanish and English, the reader will get an idea of what it would be like to experience the Spanish social life and customs and the fun they have together.
ABC
Jul 13, 2011 ABC rated it really liked it
I love the artwork in this book. Some of it may be a bit strange for little kids though. For example, my son totally did not understand the earache remedy picture. (And neither did I, to tell the truth.)
I paraphrased the text rather than read it out loud because I thought it was a little dry.
Brittnee
Apr 20, 2011 Brittnee rated it really liked it
Shelves: esol
This is written in Spanish and English, so it is great to ESOL students. The Pictures drawn by the author about her family traditions. This book can be used to teach students about different cultures or to value cultures present in the classroom that may be different from their own.
Jessica
Nov 28, 2010 Jessica rated it liked it
Written in Spanish and English. Pictures painted by the author about her family traditions. Can be used to teach students about different cultures or to value cultures present in the classroom that may be different.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Chato's Kitchen
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • The Storyteller's Candle/La velita de los cuentos
  • La Mariposa
  • What Can You Do with a Paleta?
  • Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back
  • The Composition
  • Hairs/Pelitos
  • Harvesting Hope: The Story of Cesar Chavez (Pura Belpre Honor Book. Illustrator (Awards))
  • Los Mejores Colores/Best Colors (Anti-Bias Books for Kids)
  • My Diary from Here to There/Mi diario de aquí hasta allá