Start by marking “Dingoes at Dinnertime” as Want to Read:
Dingoes at Dinnertime

Dingoes at Dinnertime (Magic Tree House #20)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  5,557 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
Jack and Annie return to audio with four more time travel adventures.Jack and Annie are whisked back in time as they try to save the ill-fated Titanic, learn to hunt buffalo on the Great Plains, save a rare tiger from poachers in India, and help a baby kangaroo and a koala escape from a fire-filled forest in Australia.
Published March 14th 2000 by Turtleback Books

Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
This is also one of my favorites from the Magic Tree House series! I love the Rainbow Serpent and the cave! Ah, I can imagine in my mind how beautiful it is! And is it just me or Teddy and Annie are perfect for each other?
Simon
Oct 07, 2011 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book holds several memories for me, and one big memory for the entire world.

First the review: I enjoyed this book and it was a great adventure for all the characters. Meeting a Kangaroo and her Joey was a sweet plot point and it would touch ground with wild animal lovers abound.

I could imagine the scenes in my head as they played out. I would have liked for Jack and Annie to meet some people on this adventure, but it was only animals in this book.

I have noticed that some of the adventures
Maya Orama
Nov 29, 2014 Maya Orama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This store is about a girl named Annie that is 5 and this boy named jack that was 8 . It was morning Jack and Annie was in the house they both got out the house and went and went with their dog lady in the frog creek woods they found the tree house on the big oak tree they climbed the ladder and went in the tree house Morgan left a letter their so the cold figure what they needed to find it said a present from the kangaroo and look for a boy Jack and Annie both looked for the book were the kanga ...more
Anna
Oct 15, 2012 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Jack and Annie complete the set of missions assigned to them by Morgan le Fay to help Teddy the dog. The last line of the poem says. "A gift from a kangaroo." So, of course they are off to Australia!

While there, the children meet emus, a koala, a kookaburra, and kangaroos. They rescue a baby kangaroo when a pack of dingoes arrive. In thanks, the mama kanga gives the children a piece of bark with an aborigine painting on it, that of a Rainbow Serpent of legend.

Back home, the combination of the 4
Sarah Sammis
May 06, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dingoes at Dinnertime (Magic Tree House #20) by Mary Pope Osbrone is the final book in Teddy the dog series. Their final gift is somewhere in the Australian outback.

This book is another of the Jack and Annie commune with nature plots. I get that Osborne is trying to introduce children to a wide variety of subjects through her books. Her nature heavy books just don't ring as true as most of her history based ones. She's best at recreating historical events. Her trips through time are always more
Isabel Orama
Jun 12, 2013 Isabel Orama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a brother and sister named Jack and Annie. This time they went on a adventure where kangaroos live. They both needed to get a gift from a kangaroo. So when they wished too the location they went there.

Jack and Annie went down the rope ladder and then found two animals . They had big feet, a pouch with a little baby in it too. Jack searched the animal up in the book. It was a kangaroo . When they both woke up from their nap they all heard growling. It was a dingo. When jack sea
Julesmarie
Hmm...Back to another story so highly improbable that it seems to not fit at all into this series of delightfully accurate books.

I'll admit I've never been to Australia, so perhaps I'm wrong here, but having Jack and Annie step out of the treehouse and within moments see an emu, a koala, a kookaburra, a kangaroo, and a pack of dingoes doesn't seem very likely. Unless they just happened to land in some sort of wildlife preserve... in which case the wildfire then becomes the unlikely element. Eith
Dawn
Jun 10, 2008 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
I recently read 1 book from the "Magic Tree House" and "Magic School Bus" series to become familiar with chapter books, and also to try and discern a difference between the two series. They're about the same reading level, I'd say that the "Tree House" book has a slightly more advanced plot. There are 2 main characters as opposed to an entire classroom of characters who seem pretty much alike. Overall they were quite informative and filled with a lot of interesting facts and history tidbits. I c ...more
Anna
Jun 04, 2010 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-by-myself
They saw a kangaroo and there was a baby in its pouch and dingoes came. The mama hopped away and she put the baby in the brown weeds and Jack and Annie found it and they took care of it and the joey hopped into Jack's backpack because he thought it was a pouch. So Jack put it in front of him so the joey will feel like he was with his mama.
Magnus
Jun 12, 2015 Magnus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the end of the mini series. I was a little disappointed and my son didn't seem to be too thrilled by it... All in all though it's a good story!
Kristi
Jul 14, 2015 Kristi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Davey: "I really liked this book because it had real animals in it, like dingoes and kangaroos. I didn't like the wild fire because some of the animals could have gotten dead."

May 10, 2015
Weeboon W7
May 14, 2008 Weeboon W7 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the dingoes were amazing! they were so cute too, and the story is rather exciting
Beatrice Drury
Oct 23, 2016 Beatrice Drury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always learn something new when reading a magic tree house book. Yes, I am an adult, but these books are delightful as well as informative. They give a child and those young at heart a quick and educational adventure.
Kaitiebeth Bartlett
I liked it because they found a baby kangaroo in the momma's pouch. Why i didn't like it is because the boy didn't ask to do magic.
Melissa Namba
Nov 27, 2016 Melissa Namba rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coplin
one of the weaker books in the series. I don't really like that the joey hops into jack s backpack and is happy there. I do like the additional notes on animals and pangaea at the end though.
Karen
Dec 22, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Magic Tree House is wonderfully magical, what with the Rainbow Serpent, the dog/apprentice magician, and the understanding kangaroo.
Alyssa
Jan 14, 2014 Alyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever wanted to help someone?
In this nonfiction book Annie and Jack are trying to help break a spell that has been cased on a dog named Teddy. I really like this book, I first read this book when I was 10 years old. **SPOILER ALERT** My favorite part is when Annie went back into the burning forest ( also known as a wildfire)to save the koala because wildfires are a danger to koalas. Koalas are slow-moving and cant escape the smoke and flames. That part really touched my heart.

Annie and
Mike
Jack and Annie are at it again in the 20th installment of this series that takes two voracious readers all over the world. This time around they need to go to Australia to find a present from a kangaroo. Once they get this present they will be able to break the spell that their puppy friend Teddy is under. So off they go to the land down under and come across some amazing animals that are indigenous to Australia suck as Emus, Koalas, Kookaburras and of course Kangaroos. While they are getting to ...more
Lanie
Ugh.

Once again jack has dragged down the rating.

Seriously, this is getting old. I can totally get behind a character who likes logic & science.

But how the fuck can you stand there and any say there's no such thing as a rain sending rainbow serpent when you use Morgan le fey's Magic treehouse to travel through time and space?

-_-

Really? Really?

Bitch, please. U are a jackass.

Arthurian legends and time travel are real. But no way aboriginal magic isn't real?!?!

-_-

Just like Lakota medicine
Courtney Canino
The main characters of this book were Jack, Annie and a dog named Teddy. This book has a lexile of 310 and is told in a third person point of view. The setting of this book took place in the wild of Australia. The plot of this book is that Jack and Annie must go on this missions to retrieve objects in order to release a dog named Teddy from a spell. They have two other objects from previous journeys, now they just need their last one from Australia, more specifically from a kangaroo. They to Aus ...more
Angela
Read with my special Ed at Maryville.
Sam
Nov 29, 2009 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A feeling of dread came over Jack.
'What if...' he said. 'What if...'
In the distance, a tree suddenly burst into flames.
'We're looking at a wildfire!' he said."
On a magical mission from the mysterious tree house near their home in Frog Creek, Pennsylvania, Jack and his sister Annie find themselves in the wilds of Australia during a drought. Things heat up pretty quickly for this adventuresome pair, as what initially appears to be a campfire turns into something a lot more frightening. Meanwhile,
Rachel
Dec 16, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This was our first Magic Tree House book. I chose it because many of my six year old's friends love the Magic Tree House series. Even though we started with a book from the middle of the series, we didn’t have any trouble following the story. There is a short recap of the previous books in the prologue of this book.

In Dingoes at Dinnertime, Annie and Jack head to Australia in search of a gift from a kangaroo. This book is packed with educational information about Australia and Australian animals
Brianna
Mar 07, 2012 Brianna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young readers
I remember reading the Magic Treehouse series during Middle School, and they were always entertaining. I loved how they went all around the world, all throughout history, and you learned about different places and time periods as you followed your favorite characters through wonderful adventures. It was really cool. I recommend these books to your little adventurer. They are sure to not disappoint.
Do it! Read the book, because who knows what new world one might fall into? What interesting chara
Angie
Jun 17, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: "Jack and Annie are ready for their next fantasy adventure in the bestselling middle-grade series the Magic Tree House!
Wildfire!
That's what Jack and Annie are up against when they are whisked away to the land of Australia. And they're not alone! Jack and Annie must help a baby kangaroo and a koala escape from a fire-filled forest. Will they be able to rescue the animals in time?"

My Review: A great 'down under' adventure for Jack and Annie. They are on the final mission to get a gift
Erina Komaki
Oct 14, 2012 Erina Komaki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
-RANDOM HOUSE,MAGIC TREE HOUSE,level 2.1
-Time:10/14=65minutes
-7-word summary:Australia-kangaroos-wildfire-rain-gift-dog-boy
-Discussion questions:
1.The main characters went to Australia in this story. Have you ever been to Australia?
-No,I haven't, but I'm going to go to Australia in spring vacation. I'm looking forward to visiting Australia.
2.In this story, a lot of animals appeared. Do you like animals?
-Yes, I like animals, such as dogs, cats, and hamsters. Watching them relaxes me, so I want p
Moe
Oct 28, 2012 Moe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
-RANDOM HOUSE, MAGIC TREE HOUSE,level 2.1
-Time:10/28=70minutes
-7words summary:Australia-kangaroo-wake up- dogs-rain-rainbow-home
-Discussion questions:
1.In this story,charactors were in Australia.If you can go,what do you want to do there?
-In fact,I'm going there in next spring vacation!It'll be the second times for me to go there.I want to go to the beach.Last time,I couldn't go,so I want to see a beautiful sea.
2.In this story,there are many animals in wild.What animal do you want to see in wil
Heather
You could use this to learn more about Australia. Okay, you'd need to add several other books but it's a good starting point.

My generic review for the Magic Tree House books -

We've loved them all so far. They are fun, easy to read and contain quite a bit of historical information. We use them as read-alouds, but most elementary/middle school kids could read them on their own.

It does have a touch of 'girl power' at the expense of making the brother seem a little dumb. That kinda bugs. But it's n
Emily
Apr 04, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack and Annie go to Australlia to get the last gift to save a little dog they named Teddy. They have to get a gift from a kangaroo. Australia is dry and has hardly any rainfall. Jack and Annie find a koala bear and a kangaroo sleeping. They see some smoke and think it is campers. As they get closer they realize it is a wildfire. Teddy the dog leads them to a cave. Deep inside teddy licks them, they put their hands on a handprint on a wall and it starts to rain which puts out the wildfire. The k ...more
  • Knights and Castles (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #2)
  • The Runaway Racehorse (A to Z Mysteries, #18)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)

“There,” Annie said. “You look just like a mother kangaroo.” 1 likes