Start by marking “Dingoes at Dinnertime” as Want to Read:
Dingoes at Dinnertime

Dingoes at Dinnertime (Magic Tree House #20)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  4,742 ratings  ·  136 reviews
Jack and Annie return to audio with four more time travel adventures.Jack and Annie are whisked back in time as they try to save the ill-fated Titanic, learn to hunt buffalo on the Great Plains, save a rare tiger from poachers in India, and help a baby kangaroo and a koala escape from a fire-filled forest in Australia.
Published March 14th 2000 by Turtleback Books (first published March 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Dingoes at Dinnertime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dingoes at Dinnertime

Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
This is also one of my favorites from the Magic Tree House series! I love the Rainbow Serpent and the cave! Ah, I can imagine in my mind how beautiful it is! And is it just me or Teddy and Annie are perfect for each other?
Maya Orama
This store is about a girl named Annie that is 5 and this boy named jack that was 8 . It was morning Jack and Annie was in the house they both got out the house and went and went with their dog lady in the frog creek woods they found the tree house on the big oak tree they climbed the ladder and went in the tree house Morgan left a letter their so the cold figure what they needed to find it said a present from the kangaroo and look for a boy Jack and Annie both looked for the book were the kanga ...more
Anna
Jack and Annie complete the set of missions assigned to them by Morgan le Fay to help Teddy the dog. The last line of the poem says. "A gift from a kangaroo." So, of course they are off to Australia!

While there, the children meet emus, a koala, a kookaburra, and kangaroos. They rescue a baby kangaroo when a pack of dingoes arrive. In thanks, the mama kanga gives the children a piece of bark with an aborigine painting on it, that of a Rainbow Serpent of legend.

Back home, the combination of the 4
Sarah Sammis
Dingoes at Dinnertime (Magic Tree House #20) by Mary Pope Osbrone is the final book in Teddy the dog series. Their final gift is somewhere in the Australian outback.

This book is another of the Jack and Annie commune with nature plots. I get that Osborne is trying to introduce children to a wide variety of subjects through her books. Her nature heavy books just don't ring as true as most of her history based ones. She's best at recreating historical events. Her trips through time are always more
Isabel Orama
This book is about a brother and sister named Jack and Annie. This time they went on a adventure where kangaroos live. They both needed to get a gift from a kangaroo. So when they wished too the location they went there.

Jack and Annie went down the rope ladder and then found two animals . They had big feet, a pouch with a little baby in it too. Jack searched the animal up in the book. It was a kangaroo . When they both woke up from their nap they all heard growling. It was a dingo. When jack sea
Julesmarie
Hmm...Back to another story so highly improbable that it seems to not fit at all into this series of delightfully accurate books.

I'll admit I've never been to Australia, so perhaps I'm wrong here, but having Jack and Annie step out of the treehouse and within moments see an emu, a koala, a kookaburra, a kangaroo, and a pack of dingoes doesn't seem very likely. Unless they just happened to land in some sort of wildlife preserve... in which case the wildfire then becomes the unlikely element. Eith
Magnus
It's the end of the mini series. I was a little disappointed and my son didn't seem to be too thrilled by it... All in all though it's a good story!
Dawn
I recently read 1 book from the "Magic Tree House" and "Magic School Bus" series to become familiar with chapter books, and also to try and discern a difference between the two series. They're about the same reading level, I'd say that the "Tree House" book has a slightly more advanced plot. There are 2 main characters as opposed to an entire classroom of characters who seem pretty much alike. Overall they were quite informative and filled with a lot of interesting facts and history tidbits. I c ...more
Mike
Jack and Annie are at it again in the 20th installment of this series that takes two voracious readers all over the world. This time around they need to go to Australia to find a present from a kangaroo. Once they get this present they will be able to break the spell that their puppy friend Teddy is under. So off they go to the land down under and come across some amazing animals that are indigenous to Australia suck as Emus, Koalas, Kookaburras and of course Kangaroos. While they are getting to ...more
Anna
They saw a kangaroo and there was a baby in its pouch and dingoes came. The mama hopped away and she put the baby in the brown weeds and Jack and Annie found it and they took care of it and the joey hopped into Jack's backpack because he thought it was a pouch. So Jack put it in front of him so the joey will feel like he was with his mama.
Alyssa
Have you ever wanted to help someone?
In this nonfiction book Annie and Jack are trying to help break a spell that has been cased on a dog named Teddy. I really like this book, I first read this book when I was 10 years old. **SPOILER ALERT** My favorite part is when Annie went back into the burning forest ( also known as a wildfire)to save the koala because wildfires are a danger to koalas. Koalas are slow-moving and cant escape the smoke and flames. That part really touched my heart.

Annie and
Kristi
Davey: "I really liked this book because it had real animals in it, like dingoes and kangaroos. I didn't like the wild fire because some of the animals could have gotten dead."

May 10, 2015
Rubi
I loved this book! And I love how Mrs. Osborne encourages children to do their own research. I learn a lot in these short 10 chapters, such facts as koalas don't really drink water, kangaroos may dump their babies to get away from predators faster, and even about native people named Aborigines. It was all very interesting.
This time Jack and Annie rescue a baby kangaroo and finally receive their final give to break Teddy's spell. Couldn't really guess who he'd be even up until the end :)
This boo
Shuhei
1.Random house Level.?
2.12/3=100min
3.Jack Annie act with animals in Australia
4.She then zigzagged over rocks and bushes.
I didn't know "zigzag" is English. In Japanese when we describe winding thing, we usually say Zig-Zag.
5.Jack and Annie warped to Australia and they met lots of unique animals. In this story, there are some explanation about these animals, so it is very instructive. Especially, I didn't know the meaning of the name "Koala" is "No drinking." Koalas hardly drink water because leaf
Weeboon W7
the dingoes were amazing! they were so cute too, and the story is rather exciting
Simon
This book holds several memories for me, and one big memory for the entire world.

First the review: I enjoyed this book and it was a great adventure for all the characters. Meeting a Kangaroo and her Joey was a sweet plot point and it would touch ground with wild animal lovers abound.

I could imagine the scenes in my head as they played out. I would have liked for Jack and Annie to meet some people on this adventure, but it was only animals in this book.

I have noticed that some of the adventures
Courtney Canino
The main characters of this book were Jack, Annie and a dog named Teddy. This book has a lexile of 310 and is told in a third person point of view. The setting of this book took place in the wild of Australia. The plot of this book is that Jack and Annie must go on this missions to retrieve objects in order to release a dog named Teddy from a spell. They have two other objects from previous journeys, now they just need their last one from Australia, more specifically from a kangaroo. They to Aus ...more
Sam
"A feeling of dread came over Jack.
'What if...' he said. 'What if...'
In the distance, a tree suddenly burst into flames.
'We're looking at a wildfire!' he said."
On a magical mission from the mysterious tree house near their home in Frog Creek, Pennsylvania, Jack and his sister Annie find themselves in the wilds of Australia during a drought. Things heat up pretty quickly for this adventuresome pair, as what initially appears to be a campfire turns into something a lot more frightening. Meanwhile,
Rachel
This was our first Magic Tree House book. I chose it because many of my six year old's friends love the Magic Tree House series. Even though we started with a book from the middle of the series, we didn’t have any trouble following the story. There is a short recap of the previous books in the prologue of this book.

In Dingoes at Dinnertime, Annie and Jack head to Australia in search of a gift from a kangaroo. This book is packed with educational information about Australia and Australian animals
Bri
This book swept me away to this other wonderful world. The setting was brilliantly set. I could totally see it in my mind. But the characters were definitely my favorite part. They are all so colorful, interesting, exciting, and hilarious. The main character is just perfect. The plot moved fast enough that I couldn't stop reading lest I miss something, but the author still took the time to flesh out the details. The details are what really make or break a story.
Brianna
Mar 07, 2012 Brianna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young readers
I remember reading the Magic Treehouse series during Middle School, and they were always entertaining. I loved how they went all around the world, all throughout history, and you learned about different places and time periods as you followed your favorite characters through wonderful adventures. It was really cool. I recommend these books to your little adventurer. They are sure to not disappoint.
Do it! Read the book, because who knows what new world one might fall into? What interesting chara
James Biser
This was another good read with my youngest son (6years old). He has enjoyed the first 20 books of the Magic Tree House Series. Rather than continue with these, he wants to read more of the Harry Potter series. That sounds like a good plan.
Erina Komaki
-RANDOM HOUSE,MAGIC TREE HOUSE,level 2.1
-Time:10/14=65minutes
-7-word summary:Australia-kangaroos-wildfire-rain-gift-dog-boy
-Discussion questions:
1.The main characters went to Australia in this story. Have you ever been to Australia?
-No,I haven't, but I'm going to go to Australia in spring vacation. I'm looking forward to visiting Australia.
2.In this story, a lot of animals appeared. Do you like animals?
-Yes, I like animals, such as dogs, cats, and hamsters. Watching them relaxes me, so I want p
Fredrick Danysh
This second grade chapter book is part of the Magic Tree House series. A boy and a girl magically travel to Australia where they attempt to save a baby koala and a kangaroo joey from a wildfire.
Seth
There was a fake serpent called the rainbow serpent! Morgan was not the dog the dog was Morgan's helper. Morgan's helper accidently turned himself into a dog! His name was Ted.
Diane
Just a touch boring, this one. And more than a little unbelievable that they would see virtually all the famous Australian animals within a few minutes of arriving. I liked the bit about the aborigines Dreamtime and the Rainbow Serpent, though.
Carolyn Borgen
I'm always amazed at the great information this author packs into a novel so that kids are learning new facts as well as new words. We listened to this on disk.
Alice
Read this on a Kindle App on a plane! Always another great Magic Tree House! Funny thing is...several days later I saw real some kangaroos in a Zoo...and it was fun!!
BlackhamBoys
The 1st grader has gotten into the Magic Treehouse books lately. I wish he'd read them in order, but oh well. We went to the local library and this one was his choice. He read it on his own in about a day. I gave it a quick read (to quiz him and to make sure he understood words/content) ...

Some words kids might have trouble with are - drought, emu, koala, marsipial, kookaburra, Aborigine. Dangers faced in this book are dingoes and wildfire. This is the 4th book (17-20)where Jack and Annie must r
Evie
"I like the part when the painting of the rainbow serpent became on the wall and when Jack and Annie put their hands on the hand prints"
  • Knights and Castles (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #2)
  • The Runaway Racehorse (A to Z Mysteries, #18)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 53 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)

“There,” Annie said. “You look just like a mother kangaroo.” 0 likes