The Book of the Ancient Greeks

The Book of the Ancient Greeks

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The Book of the Ancient Greeks is an introduction to the history and civilization of Greece from the coming of the Greeks to the conquest of Corinth by Rome in 146 BC. Dorothy Mills had an uncanny and unique ability to write history that is interesting and at the same time based on sound scholarship. Her direct, engaging approach is valued increasingly by the many parents...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Angelico Press (first published January 1st 1925)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of the Ancient Greeks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of the Ancient Greeks

Theoxeny
Everything I said of Dorothy Mills' book on the Romans applies here. This is how history should be written--and has not been written since political "correctness" made history a dull, pointless affair which neither edifies, instructs, nor informs. If you want to read a historian who is both enjoyable to read and not afraid to praise Western Civilization, read Dorothy Mills.
Cindy Rollins
This has been my favorite book on ancient Greece ever. I have enjoyed many books in the past on this subject including Edith Hamilton's great books but this Dorothy Mills book made me feel that if all I did was study the Greeks for the rest of my life, I would not have wasted my time. Truth, beauty and goodness, oh, my!
Diana
This is a very good book if you are interested in the Greek culture or Greek history. You learn about Alexander the Great, the Great Persian Invasion, the Greek Olympics and you can learn about an Athenian man's day. I can't wait to read Dorothy Mills' next book about the Romans.!!
Cleo
I could hardly put this book down. The writing was very engaging and the information was presented logically, making it easy to follow. A great overview of Ancient Greece for middle-schooler to adult.
Rebecca
Feb 25, 2008 Rebecca rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Budding Ethnologists
I picked this book up at the Minneapolis Public Library book sale. It tells about daily lives of the ancient greeks. Quite interesting if you like that kind of nerdy stuff.
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Av
Av marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Jamie Gottlieb
Jamie Gottlieb marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Faisal Alkhelaif
Faisal Alkhelaif marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Caitlin Wallace
Caitlin Wallace marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Amanda Vines
Amanda Vines marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Chad Uhl
Chad Uhl marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2013
Abigail Sparrow
Abigail Sparrow marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2013
G Moore
G Moore marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2012
The Book of the Ancient Romans The Middle Ages Renaissance and Reformation Times The Book of the Ancient World The Book of the Ancient Romans: Memoria Press