Start by marking “The Mysteries” as Want to Read:
The Mysteries

The Mysteries

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  48 reviews
From award-winning author Lisa Tuttle comes a riveting novel that combines the contemporary story of one man’s search for a missing young woman with history’s most enduring legends of the disappeared. Gripping and unforgettable, here is a spellbinding mix of the mysteries that inhabit our everyday lives–and a mind-bending exploration of what happens when someone vanishes w ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Spectra (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Mysteries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mysteries

Moira Russell
Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this one -- my eyes kept kind of sliding off the page, although I think that was due partly to the narrator, whom I didn't find convincing either as a man or as a detective. I did like the folktales, myths and fairy stories that were woven through the text, but the stories of Fred, Jenny and Peri never quite matched up, and Ian was just sort of self-pitying and dull -- everyone was more interesting than he was, which is a real problem with a first-person viewp ...more
Liz Wilkins
**Actual Rating 3.5 stars**

A strange yet wonderfully readable hybrid of detective story and fairytale, Lisa Tuttle’s “The Mysteries” takes you on a fantastical journey through our very mundane world.

When Ian takes on the case of missing Peri, he is haunted by similarities to his first case – a case that set him determinedly on the path of reuniting missing people with their loved ones. But Peri’s case will challenge him in unexpected ways.

There is a great elegance to the prose here which definit
Blodeuedd Finland
Is it a detective novel? No. A thriller? No. Mystery? No. Fairytale? No. Fantasy? No. The truth is it's all of those things. Its seductive charm pulling me in, and not letting me go. Making me wonder, believe and disbelief.

It's the story of Ian Kennedy, an American working in London as a PI. His new case is about a girl gone missing 2 years ago. Why did Peri go missing? She was happy? Was it foul play? But then why did she call 6 months later? The more he investigates, the stranger it gets. And
Celine
The Mysteries is The Cuckoo's Calling with fae. It follows private investigator Ian, from his earliest encounter with a missing person in his childhood, to his latest disappearance case. There are several timelines in the book, criss-crossing, interspersed with short memoirs of historical people gone missing.

It took me a while to figure out what The Mysteries was about. It was rather, forgive me, mysterious. The fae aspect of the book doesn't come to the foreground until relatively late, leaving
John
I picked up the book originally because. George R. R. Martin mentioned on his website that he was reading this book, and he seemed supportive of the author. Being a fan of the Song of Fire & Ice, I decided to check out the book.

I found the story to be very grounded in the real world, though it does end up being a faerie story. She works in the faerie aspect rather well, not having it overwhelm the development of the characters. The development is also very grounded in myths and that both sit
Leslie
Jun 18, 2008 Leslie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mythology, folklore buffs, Celtic interest
Again, Celtic myths and modern life coincide and coexist.
I'd recently read another book by this author - The Silver Bough. That book blew me away, this one didn't.
There are probably too many stories here. Not only do we deal with this private eye's current case - finding a lost daughter - but there is the fact his father disappeared, his long term girlfriend disappeared, he'd had a case similar to the current one many years ago.
And, in alternating chapters, there are myths and tales of folk who
Lilian Darmono
Alisha Tarran
Ever since Ian Kennedy's father went missing when he was a kid, and he subsequently found him a few years later, he's been obsessed with mysterious disappearances, and fell in to becoming a PI looking for missing persons. It all started when he was sent to Scotland to track down a family friends missing daughter, in what was not only his first, but also his strangest case. A case he has told no-one about.

So when Laura Lensky knocks on his door one day, and says her friend recommended him to her
Kestrell
This works better as a fantasy novel than a detective novel and, even as a fantasy novel, there is faaar more emo self-absorbption on the part of the protagonist than I find enjoyable. He's a forty-year-old man who comes across more as a whiny teenager, and most of the female characters in the novel are there as sexual mirrors for him. This book would have been better with more myth and less of the protagonist's extensive and repetitive passages of self-pity.
Mary
Ever since his dad disappeared from his life, Ian Kennedy has made it his job to find lost people. Now, for the second time in his career, he has been asked to locate a young woman who might have been taken by fairies.
This was a fairly interesting story that included some Celtic lore about the fae. Interspersed between the story chapters were episodes of other missing people most likely taken to the Otherworld.
Not great, but not completely awful either.
Hannah Ringler
I’ve always liked stories where people were stolen away - and rescued, by one means or another - by the fairies. The time slippage, temporary escapes, alliances, means of confrontation, they’re all fabulous, and of course one of the best things about this kind of story is that it’s not always the girl who’s taken. Man or woman, anyone can stumble into a fairy ring (or fall off their horse - Tam Lin’s story is one of impressive haplessness on his end). And that’s one thing that The Mysteries tak ...more
Blaire
I just finished reading a book that contained the Irish folk tale of Tam Lin, and now here's another one. Serendipity. This book is about the dark side of Faerie; the attractions of the Otherworld and its perils. It's mostly a fantasy, but has elements of the detective story about it as well. Not strong in its characters, it's more a book that explores the meaning of life.
Nancy Oakes
I can't express how much fun this book was to read, and how it sucked me into its pages from the first sentence. I would definitely recommend it to either readers of fantasy or to mystery readers; for the latter, I would suggest you prepare to stray off the path a little bit and let yourself relax and have fun with the plot. I absolutely LOVED this book -- and I am a picky reader!

a very brief synopsis:
The main character of The Mysteries is Ian Kennedy, who is an investigator in London specializi
Kristi
Bookmarks Magazine

The award-winning Tuttle, a native Texan who now lives in Scotland, has written 15 novels for adults and children, including Lost Futures and The Pillow Friend. The Mysteries proves she's "at the top of her craft" (Rocky Mountain News). Mixing fantastical elements into a detective tale, Tuttle weaves a fascinating story of strange disappearances set against ancient Celtic folklore. She also delves deeply into Ian Kennedy's psychology-the emotions surrounding his long-missing lover, his father's

Noel Thingvall
Good setup, interesting characters and mystery. The non-linear aspect made it tough to keep a few of the timeframes straight, but the first half is still good. I was really looking forward to the fantasy aspect coming to light in the second half, but found it very underdeveloped and uninteresting, with odd tangents, and connections and twists too loose to do much for me. Not a bad book, but ultimately underwhelming and anti-climactic.
Julie Davis
#21 - 2010.

An American detective living in London is approached to find a young woman who disappeared. Although this is a mystery, it is largely an intersection of "what if" the Celtic myth of people being kidnapped into faerie lands were true. Told from the weary detective's point of view, the story takes on also the flavor of his knowing such things are possible but feeling a sense of personal failure over the people who much more legitimately disappeared in his own life (his father, his girlf
Susan
This book had great prose, but it had very little to say. The book was short to begin with: 1/3 of the short page count was general background on Celtic mythology, 1/3 was a protracted flashback, and 1/3 was the actual plot. That left, as I recall, less than 100 pages of plot, and this really wasn't a case where I felt the flashback counted sufficiently as plot. So it felt like reading a novel to get a long short story's worth of content.

I would (and did) read more by the author, but this one wa
Grace
Oh how I long to give this book 5 stars. I really should give it 5 stars if the review is based on MY enjoyment of the book. This book is a modern retelling of the Celtic myth of Etain, and that's all I needed to know to be captivated, since Etain has been my favorite myth for a while.

The book is excellently written. However, if you are not an Etain-ophile like I am, there isn't much to distinguish it from a pile of other mythic fiction books. It is certainly an enjoyable read though for any my
Christine Mehring
Enjoyable read. The stories of other disappearances interspersed throughout the book were interesting, but kind of felt like padding to a story that might have been a little too short otherwise. The storyline jumped around a lot, from the main character's childhood, to early adulthood, to earlier cases, to the present case, but this was generally not confusing as the author did a good job of marking the trail. All in all, it was fun but not life-changing.
Deborah
A strange but intriguing mix of tales and myths. I wanted some of the shorter tales to continue longer though! I did not care for the end, found it too abrupt, but did enjoy this book.
Michael Davies
A bit of a curate's egg of a book! Though I never thought of not finishing it there were parts which were unconvincing, even given that the basic premise of a fairy world existing in another dimension may seem unconvincing to begin with! Still, it was worth a read and the intermingled tales of mysterious disappearances through the years were entertaining if not entirely relevant to the plot!
H.N.
I thought this book was lovely; lovely prose, and story, and I for one like an ending that doesn't tell us everything that happened after everyone lived happily ever after. This book was also just what I needed to read right now to take my mind off the myriad mysteries of cataloguing. So. This book, to me, it's about myth & history, yes, and mysteries, and also adulthood and choices.
Beth
Found this author while searching for something else on the Public Library site. Interesting premise with a mixture of magic and regular life but not done in a way that I found readable. Almost didn't finish the book and thought twice about starting the other book by the same author.

I do not stop reading a story in the middle very often but this one almost qualified.
Clarice
Ended up enjoying this book ok. A bit of a mystery and a sort of love story, or a story of the main characters many loves, and a fascination with the tales of people being caught by fairies that's so prevalent throughout Great Britain. I think it maybe was supposed to get creepier than it did, but it never hit me as as creepy as it could've gotten.
Michelle
I liked this story of disappearances and the world of Faerie by Lisa Tuttle. I find that like her other books it came close to being a wonderful book, but was missing a little something. I think the ending lacked a little and I was hoping for a more fantastical close. It was worth reading and will try other books by the author.
Amber
I usually read a book all the way through, no matter how bad it seems as I'm going along. For this book, I made an exception. About 60 or 70 pages in, I gave up.

I generally enjoy fantasy books, but I couldn't see where this one was going and I didn't really care. There wasn't enough meat to the story to keep my attention.
Angela
Although the story follows a private investigator, it is more a fairy story than anything else. Peppered within the main narrative are stories of people who had disappeared at various points in history. I enjoyed the story and the themes within, although the narrative never instilled urgent excitement in me.
Devin Upshaw
so far very good, mind blowing with a lot of twists, the one thing i truly enjoyed was there were always little things that would catch my attention. took me to places like london, scotland, she also did a good job on the details, explaining the situations.
  • Singer of Souls (Singer of Souls, #1)
  • Faery in Shadow
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • Gleam (The Factory Trilogy, #1)
  • Bear Daughter
  • The Poets' Grimm: 20th Century Poems from Grimm Fairy Tales
  • Midnight Never Come (Onyx Court, #1)
  • The Serpent's Tooth
  • The Devil's Acolyte (Knights Templar, #13)
  • Serendipity Market
  • The Magician and the Fool
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror 2008: Twenty-First Annual Collection
  • Giant Bones
  • A Red Heart of Memories (Red Heart of Memories, #1)
  • Dark Sister
  • The Grey Fairy Book
  • The Best of Joe R. Lansdale
  • The Innamorati
(Wife of Colin Murray) aka Maria Palmer (house pseudonym).

Lisa Tuttle taught a science fiction course at the City Lit College, part of London University, and has tutored on the Arvon courses. She was residential tutor at the Clarion West SF writing workshop in Seattle, USA. She has published six novels and two short story collections. Many of her books have been translated into French and German e
More about Lisa Tuttle...
The Silver Bough The Pillow Friend Writing Fantasy & Science Fiction Lost Futures Windhaven