Start by marking “Out of the Woods” as Want to Read:
Out of the Woods

Out of the Woods

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The fun fair is in town! With its clouds of pink candy floss and whirling big wheel, what child could resist such temptation? Little do the Eden sisters know that they are being lured into a wicked witch’s lair. . . . Belladonna wants
Aurora’s heart and Storm’s all-powerful musical pipe, and she will stop at nothing to get them. Driven by vanity and greed, she makes a truly
Published April 13th 2010 by David Fickling Books (first published August 6th 2009)

Ifrah

Out of the Woods Book Review

Would you ever go into a deep dark woods that was filled with dangers and mysteries? Where most people wouldn’t go, Storm Eden the heroine of this book is always willing to go. She is witty, clever and courageous. Out of the Woods, is a sequel of the previous book, Into the Woods. They both are great and entertaining books to read, especially if you are a fairytale lover. The have romance, action, comedy, adventure, and humor. Storm is willing to do anything to prot
Pat
Out of the Woods: A Memoir of Wayfinding by Lynn Darling
There are quite a lot of memoirs which where the writer goes off somewhere by themselves and finds a new way forward. Of particular note for me were Plant Dreaming Deep by May Sarton and her follow up Journal of Solitude. The first memoir described her new life in a new home in New Hampshire, a journal which had a very popular appeal. In the second she tried in her words to erase what she felt was `the false impression’ she had given of her
Theresa
maybe a 3.5? another book for the I hate 5 stars system. This book is really well written. She adds depth to every character and their is lots of conversation. So why is it not a solid four if not a five?

Too weird for me. Just eye rolling , groaning weird. Had I read some reviews and saw what people were likening it to, I wouldn't have picked it up. This isn't my kind of book.

Storm is the rightful owner of an enchanted pipe. Evil Belladonna wants it to take over the world. She also wants to eat
Evelyn Ink
Very fun. Lemony Snickets-esk writing style, with a little bit Penderwicks characters, and a touch of Roald Dahl hyperbole.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
While I haven't read the first book in the series, I enjoyed reading the sequel. There was enough of the back story that I didn't feel lost on what was going on, nor did I feel that it was redundant. I really liked the way in which Lyn put a spin on various children's fairy tales and meshed them together in this book. It was the fairy tale lore that hooked me the most.

In true fairy tale form, there's adventure, love, danger and an important message that lies just beneath the heart of the story.
Katieb (MundieMoms)

Kirsten Erin
To be honest, I was a little disappointed with this sequel. It just didn't quite live up to the first novel and felt disjointed, especially in the beginning.
However, I am really glad to have read it and found out what became of the Eden sisters. There were quite a few brilliant plot points and bits that made me giggle. And I cannot help but enjoy the plethora of fairytales that found their way into the stories.
Annette
Memoir of making it on your own, similar in style to Joan Anderson's A Year by the Sea, but not as full of the inner wisdom Joan shared. This story is more about how Lynn learns to navigate her new life, (empty nest), while learning how to find her way around the woods and mountains where she has taken up residence.

Enlightening, but covers no new ground in my opinion.
Cym
April
Honestly, I wasn't quite drawn to this sequel than I was with Into the woods, as it did not lead up to my expectations. But I did enjoy most of the plot, and found myself giggling at some of the comedy that was added to the story. I also definitely enjoyed the fairy tale mashups.
sʜᴀᴅ ♕ ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴋɪɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ ɪ'ᴍ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟɪᴏɴʜᴇᴀʀᴛ
This book is one of the books that you can read without reading the one that came before it. I don't really remember it that well, but I do remember that I read it at least twice and enjoyed it both times.
Julie
A fun reworking of miscellaneous fairy tales into a contemporary kids' adventure story, with a dash of humor thrown in for good measure. Probably best suited to the younger end of the mid-grade (junior fiction) scale.
Lisa
Book 2 in Lyn Gardner's possible trilogy, this book was so much fun and recommended to me by Timothy. A trio of sisters must make it on their own in the face of Belladonna who wants the beautiful older sister, Aurora's, heart (remind you of a certain fairy tale?) and the magical pipe of the second sister, Storm. Through several twists and turns, visits from other fairy tale characters (even the Grimm brothers), the story comes to a most dramatic ending! For kids who love fantasy and fairy tale, ...more
Karen Furlong
Couldn't get into this one enough to finish it.
Kimberly Mcclune
No sequel could have been better penned to a book than this to its predecessor, Into the Woods. Lyn Gardner has once again brought her characters to life in a world intertwined with familiar fair tale stories and personalities. Storm and her sisters face their biggest challenges ever in this final act filled with adventure.
Jenny
This was an enjoyable sequel to Into the Woods. I am a fairy tale junkie, so I really appreciated the references to the classic stories and characters. This (and the first in the series) would be great for a book club...so many extended activities exploring which fairy tale appeared in the stories.
Kristin
Fairy tale mashups can be tricky...and Into the Woods was the only one of the recent ones that I really loved. This sequel is pretty awesome...bringing in greek mythology, LOTR themes, AND a pretty cool girl-powery version of Snow White...with lots of other supporting fairy tale bits as well.
Linda
I felt a bit of deja vu reading this after reading Into the Wild by Sarah Durst. Similar idea with the interweaving of the fairy tale plots, the fast-paced action and the humor. This can be read by itself, but it is the sequel to Into the Woods and there are references to action from that book.
Heather
I didn't like the previous book as much as I had anticipated, but this one was entirely different. I enjoyed it much more than I had anticipated. This book has quite a fun and entertaining cast of characters and a fabulous set of adventures.
Shawn Ruth
Cute YA novel, but I'm pretty sure it is the second book in a series, but I didn't figure this out until I was in the middle of the book. Oh well. It was still a cute book. I will just have to go find the first one now.
Gee
not as good as into the woods but the story line was still enjoyable. also I like how it involved some characters from the first book who we assume we wont see :)
Claire
Not a bad fractured fairy tale by any measure, but disappointingly scattered (less funny, too) in comparison to Gardner's previous Into the Woods.
Kalilah
The first book was much, much better. I only actually enjoyed very few parts in this sequel. But still, the illustrations were good.
Susan
This book started out feeling like a repeat of the first book, but I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome and plot twists.
Jon Cox
Run-of-the-mill. Paint by numbers. Formulaic. Trying way too hard to be clever, witty, and funny without any measureable success.
Michelle White
THis book was a fun read. I think student's would enjoy reading it too. I got it at the IUS Library.
Renee
Aug 17, 2010 Renee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 4th-6th
Integrates/refers to several fairy/folk tales most prominently Sleeping Beauty.
Danyelle Leafty
Interesting fairy tale mash up, but I wish it could have gone deeper.
Maggie
I hope there's another book in this series! It was SOOOO good!
  • Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn
  • Clemency Pogue: Fairy Killer (Clemency Pogue #1)
  • The Talent Thief
  • Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)
  • The Tasters Guild (Poisons of Caux, #2)
  • Toby Alone (Tobie Lolness, #1)
  • No Other Story (Whole Nother Story, #3)
  • The Duplicate
  • Fear Itself
  • The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great (Knights' Tales, #1)
  • Beware Of The Storybook Wolves
  • The Secret of Zoom
  • Final Jeopardy: Man vs. Machine and the Quest to Know Everything
  • Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies
  • The Robe of Skulls (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Wyverns’ Treasure (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #3)
  • The Lunatic's Curse (Tales From The Sinister City, #4)
  • Flood and Fire (Raiders' Ransom, #2)
Lyn Gardner was born in London. A theater critic for The Guardian, she goes to the theater five or six nights a week, which should leave no time for writing books at all. She and her two daughters have one venerable goldfish (there were two, but one came to a tragic end) and a horse—who is the most demanding, temperamental, and expensive member of the family.
More about Lyn Gardner...
Into the Woods Olivia's First Term (Stage School, #1) Olivia Flies High (Stage School, #2) Olivia and the Movie Stars (Stage School, #3) Olivia's Enchanted Summer (Stage School, #4)