Start by marking “Poison Ivory (Den of Antiquity Mystery, #15)” as Want to Read:
Poison Ivory (Den of Antiquity Mystery, #15)

Poison Ivory (Den of Antiquity #15)

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
All antiques dealer Abigail Timberlake Washburn wanted was to find a perfect gift for her darling (if not altogether together) mama Mozella's birthday. She never expected her online purchase of an exquisite, seventeenth-century rosewood linen chest to place her in federal custody, accused of trafficking in illegal ivory! Then insult is heaped on her injury when she's force ...more
Published June 26th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published May 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Poison Ivory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poison Ivory

Crystal Chm
I'm very happy I stumbled upon about 5 books of hers from this series at a church yard sale and now have a new cozy mystery writer to follow.

I was between a 3 star and 4 star on this one. The mystery plot portion was not so great or very memorable, but the characters were wonderful and had me laughing throughout. I continued to turn the pages not because I wanted to know who the culprit was, but instead because I wanted to learn what odd character would show up next. Also, any book that makes m
Feb 12, 2011 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poison Ivory is the fifteenth mystery in the Den of Antiquity series featuring amateur sleuth, antiques dealer and heroine Abigail Timberlake-Washburn.

When she purchases (not "buys", because proper southern ladies don't buy) an antique rosewood linen chest for her mother, Abigail is arrested on suspicion of trafficking illegal ivory. After her ex-husband Buford Timbersnake, uhhh, TimberLAKE, bails her out of jail, Abigail goes on her own sleuthing adventure to uncover the true identity of the ev
VJ
Apr 03, 2013 VJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
So now the Mama's time warp is the 1960s? Ah, heck. At least she properly described the silence of a snowfall within the first few pages!

And it's nuts how CJ went right to "Cheng" after that muddled up genealogy in the last book. No mention yet of a divorce from Toy Wiggens either. Hmmm. Okay, that was fixed mid-book.

All of a sudden, Abby conveniently has a parlor trick of double-jointedness? Oh boy. I think this might be my last book. I'm barely into chapter two and already incredulous.

I'm wond
Tammy
Dec 28, 2015 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, mystery-cozy
Abby and C.J. go to the docks to pick up a shipment for the Den of Antiquity and a birthday present for Abby's mom and get arrested for ivory smuggling! To make matters worse, she has to turn to her slimy ex-husband for legal help since he is a well-known attorney, but he's more interested in beating the prosecutor than proving she is innocent. How is Abby going to get out of this one?
Melissa
Feb 16, 2014 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I quit reading after about two chapters. The author attempted humor, but the book was just silly.
R.L.B. Hartmann
Jan 16, 2012 R.L.B. Hartmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every bit as satisfying and laugh-producing as all Tamar Myers books are. The cover art did stall me a bit with those bloody cat paw prints, which certainly got my attention but failed to materialize in the story. The "Nip and Tusk" header in red on the back cover also gave me pause, as at first I thought that was another book I needed to look for, instead of a description of the one in my hand. There were perhaps 7 or 8 typos as well, something I never or seldom noticed in previous volumes. But ...more
Dogsandbooks
Donated to DPL
Rumeur
Jun 14, 2013 Rumeur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is the first book I've read in this series and I enjoyed it as far as " cozies" are concerned. It's also the first that wasn't about a murder but about a topic far from it ( except for the thought of killing elephants for their tusks maybe) but not a direct murder mystery, yet a good mystery anyway. Kudos to Ms Myers for being my first that didn't have to do with murder. Quite enjoyable and I loved the quirky characters Will read more of her books
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I enjoyed this book far more than the previous one. Ms. Myers seemed to have paid more attention to her characters again. Also, brought CJ back to her former self. This was based on an important topic...Ivory smuggling. Done with humor and the usual odd characters, the book, leads you to learn more on the topic.

Nicely done in an 'afterword' by Ms. Myers is a short autobiography of her personal experiences. Excellent.

I look forward to the next installment.
Sandra
Nov 09, 2013 Sandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting plot concepts (I think!) but the characters were so overdone that I couldn't finish the book. Even the minor characters, like the cops in the first couple chapters were more like Keystone Kops on steroids, exceedingly unrealistic. Sadly, even though a HarperCollins/Avon imprint, the typos were rampant ... Not an author--or imprint--I'd pick up again.
Dee
Sep 05, 2010 Dee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was one stupid book.
What a total waste of my time.

The conversation was inane and so were the attempts at being humorous.

In the first few pages, it was mentioned dozens of times how small and diminutive the main character, Abby, was. I got it the first time!
Doris
Oct 05, 2009 Doris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was good but the total lack of respect between the two main female characters is irritating. They are supposed to be mother and daughter but act more like sisters - ones who don't much like each other.

I still wonder what Abby signed...
Linda
May 02, 2011 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
This was the first book I've read in the series and I enjoyed it. The characters were crazy and the whole thing was thouroughly southern. Glad I have another one from the series on my shelf to read.
Katy
Jul 18, 2010 Katy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the Den of Antiquity mysteries because Myers uses a lot of description of the South Carolina countryside, which I like. The mystery is pretty standard, but she does have cute characters.
Jennifer Wilbanks
Overall, this was a great series. As someone who is vertically challenged myself, I did find it annoying how many different ways the author alluded to the main character's short stature.
ChrisGA
15th in the series--the repeated anecdotes and comments wear thin and aren't as fresh. Abby was funnier before she was so political.
Kristina Hoerner
This book was ok but I am not as thrilled of this author as I used to be. She seems to be trying to hard and the humor is too grasping.
I didn't get to finish this one and was not impressed. But I think my mom would love it.
Karla
Sep 13, 2010 Karla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mystery - sort of odd - probably won't read this author again.
May Lo
Aug 20, 2009 May Lo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
not worth your time ... lousy book
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Pat
Pat rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Jill
Jill added it
Apr 20, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Susi
Susi rated it did not like it
Apr 08, 2016
Mary Kreul
Mary Kreul rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Jerrica Greca
Jerrica Greca marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Antiques Bizarre (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #4)
  • Grounds for Murder (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #2)
  • Death in Duplicate (Susan Henshaw, #16)
  • Paper-Thin Alibi (Craft Corner, #3)
  • A Mourning Wedding (Daisy Dalrymple, #13)
  • The Children Didn't See Anything
  • Something's Cooking (Angie Amalfi, #1)
  • Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery, #2)
  • Laughed 'Til He Died (Death on Demand, #20)
  • A Nose for Hanky Panky (A Granite Cove Mystery, #1 )
Tamar Myers was born and raised in the Belgian Congo (now just the Congo). Her parents were missionaries to a tribe which, at that time, were known as headhunters and used human skulls for drinking cups. Hers was the first white family ever to peacefully coexist with the tribe, and Tamar grew up fluent in the local trade language. Because of her pale blue eyes, Tamar’s nickname was Ugly Eyes.

Tamar
More about Tamar Myers...

Den of Antiquity (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Larceny and Old Lace (Den of Antiquity, #1)
  • Gilt By Association (Den of Antiquity, #2)
  • The Ming and I (Den of Antiquity, #3)
  • So Faux, So Good (Den of Antiquity, #4)
  • Baroque and Desperate (Den of Antiquity, #5)
  • Estate of Mind (Den of Antiquity, #6)
  • A Penny Urned (Den of Antiquity, #7)
  • Nightmare in Shining Armor (Den of Antiquity, #8)
  • Splendor in the Glass (Den of Antiquity, #9)
  • Tiles and Tribulations (Den of Antiquity Mystery, #10)