Hot Flash Holidays: A Novel

Hot Flash Holidays: A Novel (Hot Flash Club #3)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  567 ratings  ·  55 reviews
The intrepid women of The Hot Flash Club are back for the holidays, soothing jingled nerves and stressed shoppers in their exclusive spa and celebrating the joys of the season. In her witty and delightfully wisecracking prose, Nancy Thayer tells a heartwarming tale packed with fun, secrets, romance–and an ample dose of good cheer.

When the Hot Flash friends gather at the sp...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published November 1st 2005)

Kathleen
The originals are back, but not for long. Each chapter is a different "holiday" over the course of a year. April Fools day is a holiday? Hmmmmm. Not enough story in each chapter; I wanted to know more, but had to wait for the next holiday. Most chapters ended with some sort of crisis and the reader has to wait 6wks - 2 months to find out how it was resolved. I'd prefer to go through the process with the character, rather than hear about it later.
Chris
Angela2932
My book club thought this would be entertaining around the holidays. It was a silly book, and we should have saved our money for Christmas presents instead of spending it on this drivel. Some would call this "heartwarming", "endearing", or a "light, humorous, read" and "not too meaningful," "not too earthshattering", and "not too heavy." The book cover said this was about "sympathetic sexagenarians" navigating aging, family love and relationships during the holidays. Well, I'm sorry, but that's...more
Linda
Feb 25, 2008 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that is in their 50's or has a mother going through the hot flashes
This book is almost as funny as Stephanie Plum. I am not sure if anyone of any age would appreciate it but if you are younger you might see your mom in these books.

It is a book about girl friends who are all in their late 50's to early 60's. Some married, some involved and some alone. One has her mother living with her - She is as funny as Stephanie's grandma, but only in the things she says.
They love each other and would do anything for each other.
They get together like all of us wish we coul...more
Camandwmm
Very light, entertaining. Some funny parts and some real to life situations. Five good friends and their experiences in getting older!
Cathy Houston
A Funny read but the series would benefit from being read in sequence. keeping the characters straight was difficult in the early pages without having read the previous books
Linda
It's kind of a crazy book but oh well ... family and friends make for an interesting assortment of relationships. I loved 80-something year old Ruth's malapropisms and corny jokes which reminded me of all the goofy jokes that my husband is always telling his harriers ... and then Ruth says, 'Oh I've got lots more of those (jokes). My husband always had a slew of wonderful jokes. His students loved him." And with that I neatly slipped into the world of author Nancy Thayer's intrepid women of the...more
Becky
I know I'm not really the appropriate audience for this tale, but I did find it a quick, charming holiday read. I wanted a Christmas-themed story, and not many were left on the library shelves last week, and this one looked fun. It is pure chick lit, geared towards 50-60 something women, but I still did appreciate the predicaments each of the characters found herself in (some of which were laugh-out-loud hysterical) and how they stuck together as friends through it all. Three stars.
Miia
Good feeling guaranteed! Friendship is such a wonderful thing :)
Cindy
I haven't read any of the other books in this series, and after reading this one I definitely won't! I found the characters to be so flat and silly, with no complexity at all, that they were more like "charactures." I am 50 something and I would hope that those of us in this age group have more depth and brains than the author has given these women. I wouldn't be able to stand a group of women like this!
Debbie
I really enjoy this series and now I'm sad that I have one more book to read and then I'm done. I hope there will be more novels coming in the future. This book is just a joy and fun to read. I see myself in each of the women. Sit back and just read. This series will not solve any problems in the world, but if you are looking for a light read, and several chuckles, this is it.
Jan
A fun little book meant to lift your spirits with the help of your friends. "Through the years, we've shared kids activities, school functions, PTO, school board, shopping, read and now...power surges. Dare we wonder what's next?" That's the note my best friend wrote inside the book in 2005 -- and I can tell you what's next...grandkids and retired husbands!!!
Camy
Another Hot Flash book done...this one was a very quick read as we went through a year of holidays - Christmas right through the year to Christmas again. So now its on to the final book that I have on my Kobo. I am sure it will continue to be a good mindless read - that's ok...its rainy and blustery time of the year so why not indulge!!!
Phair
You really need to start from the first book to know who's who & what's what with the Hot Flash Club. It was not the best of the bunch but still fun with some good observations on life, the universe & everything from the perspective of women of a certain age. Wish I had a group of friends like this.
Jeanne
This is the third book of this series, and I continue to enjoy the characters. This one follows the characters of the last book, with a few interesting additions, through the major holidays of the year. I'm finding it fun reading about older women who are experiencing some of the same things that I am.
Donna
Nice to read about women my age. I can relate!
Kathie H
Dec 13, 2009 Kathie H rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults on up
This is my first read in this series. I enjoyed it! I could relate to so many facets of all the characters. Now to get the first of the series. Fun read for the holiday season. Enjoyed the reader Carrington MacDuffie's ability to do a wide range character voices.
Cindy Grossi
Actually a 3.5, but I bumped it up because I was so surprised by how much I enjoyed it. There was just so much I could relate to. It is definitely one for us older readers to identify with.
JoAnn/QuAppelle
Okay, I think I have had enough of these ladies. Not that I do not like them, but too much of a good thing is still too much. This was entertaining and each chapter was a different holiday during a one-year period.
June
Great for light reading. A different format from the earlier two books. Maybe a little formulaic and really, who rips all of their clothes off when enduring a hot flash?
tbears
Great cast of characters...fun series! Liked Thayer's concept of using the different holidays in her third book of this series. Looking forward to reading the next one.
Loretta
I enjoyed revisiting the original members of the Hot Flash Club. These are aging, warm, funny and wise women. Makes you want to be a part of their club.
Rachel
Great book. Interesting Character that you could relate to and a great pace of events. Highly recommended to women of that certain age!
'Chele
This was a fun, sassy book. While the hot flash club ladies go through trials and tribulations, they do it with a sense of humor.
Andijkl
She write a good story that adds to the series she created. It takes you thru the holidays and teachs you more about the characters
Seriousbookworm
I have been reading the Hot Flash Club books and really enjoying them with the exception of this one. Too contrived and boring.
Myra
Cute book..fun...loving...what you would think life as a super duper adult (after 65) would be like. Or wish it would be like.
Anne-Marie
Great quick fun read! On to the final book in the series, i will be sad when it ends I am really enjoying these characters
Jodi
good book. I was hoping she would continue with some of the other new characters from the last book. Still very entertaining.
Myrn
This is the first Hot Flash book I read and it was enjoyable. I laughed out loud a few times. Good writing and fun characters.
  • Summer Blowout
  • Julie and Romeo Get Lucky
  • The Four Seasons (Paperback)
  • Buffalo Valley (Dakota, #4)
  • Bikini Season
  • Until The Real Thing Comes Along
  • Inappropriate Men (Red Dress Ink)
  • Christmas In Whitehorn (Montana Mavericks)
  • The Scent of Scandal
  • Sea Escape
  • Rosemary Cottage (Hope Beach #2)
  • An Accidental Woman
  • The Red Hat Club
  • Ocean Beach
  • Tales from the Crib
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas
  • The Sitter
  • The Summer Of Us
Nancy Thayer has a B.A. and M.A. in English literature from the University of Missouri at Kansas City. Before settling down to write and have children she taught English at various colleges and traveled, living in Paris, Amsterdam and Helsinki. In 1981 she was a Fellow at the Breadloaf Writers Conference. She has lived on Nantucket Island year round for twenty-five years with her husband Charley W...more
More about Nancy Thayer...
Beachcombers Summer House Heat Wave Island Girls Moon Shell Beach