Start by marking “Maelstrom (The Twins of Petaybee #2)” as Want to Read:
Maelstrom (The Twins of Petaybee #2)

Maelstrom (Twins of Petaybee #2)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,109 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
In Changelings, bestselling authors Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough returned to the sentient planet Petaybee with a story of growth and transformation in the face of deadly new threats. The telepathic, shapeshifting twins Murel and Ronan found that Petaybee had plans for them as well. Now those plans begin to bear fruit with fresh possibilities . . . and dange ...more
Published December 26th 2006 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2006)

Feb 07, 2013 Al rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Shongili twins, Ronan and Murel, accompany their friend Marmie on her luxury space craft Piaf to rescue their friend Ke-ola's family from an uninhabitable planet. They arrive to find the planet in the midst of a terrible meteor storm and when they go down to the surface find that the survivors have taken refuge under ground. Ronan and Murel change into seal form and find the survivors and their totem animals or aumakua, the giant turtles, or Honu, and the sharks. Back on Petaybee the

Brian Schiebout
Maelstrom by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough is the second book of the Twins of Petaybee series set in the Petaybee universe. After I finished this book the first thing that it made me think of is how much darker it is than the first one. Not dark as in heroes are dying but dark as in everything seems to be going wrong for the protagonists. Once again the main characters are the selkie children Mural and Ronan Shongili. The two of them decide to go with Marmie on a rescue mission fo ...more
Pepper Thorn
Jan 15, 2012 Pepper Thorn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maelstrom is where this series really hits its stride. I love the concept of a sentient planet that the human residents can "speak" to and Ms. McCaffrey and Ms. Scharborough do it justice. They bring together a truly diverse cast of characters that are fun and interesting. What the story lacks in focus and tightness of plot it makes up for in sheer creativity and exuberance.

My main problem with the book was its voice. Yes, this is Ann McCaffrey and it has her characteristic tone and timber to t
Sep 19, 2008 Lychee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults, people interested in environmentalism and animal rights
Shelves: sf-f
I like what they're doing with this series. Easy to read, even a little hard to put down when I'm reading right before bed. Each books expands the diversity of human cultures and animal lifeforms whose competing needs have to be addressed in order for there to be success. Not the best prose but definitely successful storytelling and the concepts grab my heart and leave an imprint on me after having read these books and that's a pretty high compliment. Maybe I'm having a very idiosyncratic respon ...more
Maurice Jr.
Aug 20, 2016 Maurice Jr. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Two of the Twins of Petaybee series was another winner! The shapeshifting Shongili twins and their otter friend Sky discover a mysterious alien race beneath the waves. They want to be kept secret, even after rescuing the twins' dad from certain death in the previous book.

Unfortunately, the twins just returned from a rescue mission. They found colonists of Hawaiian descent abandoned on a dying world and brought them and their totem animals to Petaybee for sanctuary. They settle in Petaybee'
Nov 11, 2015 Amelia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, space
I'm guessing this is YA. I didn't realize it was book two of a trilogy. I probably would have liked it more if I'd have read book one...

It stops rather abruptly and before any resolution to the largest conflict in the book, which was my clue that it was not a single novel.

I think this is probably a two and a half star book and I'm not sure if I'll order the other two or not. It was just okay.
Jul 18, 2009 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-choice
The second book in the Twins of Petaybee trilogy. I enjoyed this one also. The twins are aboard a spaceship headed for the planet where Ke-ola's people are suffering. They discover that the planet is being bombarded with meteors and that the settlements are in danger. Against the wishes of Intergal (the evil company that has a lot of power in this universe), their ship rescues the survivors and their totem animals, the Honu (sea turtles) and the Mano (sharks). As might be expected, when released ...more
Apr 13, 2009 Donald rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a bad book, and coming from Mdme. McCaffrey, one of the greats of sci-fi/fantasy, it's incredibly disappointing. I'm hoping it was maybe just her idea and Ms. Scarborough picked it up, dropped it, brushed it off, dropped it again, kicked it around for a bit, then stumbled off with it. The idea is an okay one, but the execution is just horrendous, with most of the book taken up by the characters talking about what they're going to do, what they did do, and what they might have done i ...more
Barbara E Stratemeier

Great story and characters.couldn't put it down can't wait to read the next book in the series.would recommend it to all
Jul 31, 2014 Conal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an OK read but the story seemed to be geared to a much younger audience the almost felt like I was reading a middle school book.
Jan 16, 2015 Alayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story of the twins of Petaybee, but didn't think it was as good as some of their other works.
Karolina Chmiel
It just doesnt seem like McCaffrey wrote these!
Alysha DeShaé
My full review is here on my personal website. I'll post a few excerpts here, though:

3.0 out of 5.0 stars

The very worst thing about this book is that the storytelling is getting worse with each book.

The very best thing about this book is that, assuming you liked the previous books, it’s still readable enough to enjoy the new characters, even if they are a little unusual.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Then entire time I'm reading this story I'm thinking of the Hawaiians and Polynesians. I don't know how much research Ms. McCaffrey put into those cultures, but now this is what I'm thinking. I liked the sacred tortoise. The shark is pretty amazing too. I like it. Then again, I do like sharks. I've scuba dived with them around, not on purpose, they just show up. This was another fun read abet a bit heavy handed with it's environmental and social commentary.
Jan 10, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The train of this story is starting to get away from me after so many volumes, but I am a McCaffrey addict and will pick up and enjoy anything with her name on it. This time through, I thought there were too many story threads, and several of the plot points were reminiscent of the Acorna series (child heroes, shape-shifting aliens, mind-talking animals).
Kate Millin
Oct 24, 2009 Kate Millin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always find the Anne McCaffrey books very difficult to put down, and this was no exception. It is the second in the series.

The selkie twins help to rescue people and their bonded animals from a planet damaged by meteors, resettlement on Petaybee does not go smoothly and the actions annoys the planetary police.
Fredrick Danysh
Growing up on the sentient planet Petabyee, half selkie twins Murel and Ronan embargk on a missioto rescue the lifeforms of a dying planet that is under Interglactic Company control setting off charges of smuggling against the pro-Petabyee faction.
I get the feeling the took this trilogy and broke one book into 3 books. Literally picks up right at the end of the other. Enjoyed the adding of the aliens and sacred telepathic critters to Petaybe, and another quickie fun read.
Oct 09, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: McCaffrey Scarborough fans, fantasy readers, animal lovers
Recommended to Lisa by: found it myself - I love McCaffrey's books!
Great follow up to Changelings - even better I think. Continued good development of twins, interesting follow up with friend Keola on his planet, and cliffhanger ending back on Petaybee signalling a good sequel to come- soon I hope!
Sep 14, 2010 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was OK. I liked the first trilogy based on the same world better then this trilogy. I do plan on finishing the series, just because I want to know what happens and this book leave you hanging.
Jun 05, 2011 JoyfulK rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: diehard Petaybee fans who can't stand not to know the ending---and no one else
I've reviewed this trilogy elsewhere: see Deluge .
Aug 12, 2013 Luisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It got a little bit less fun, compared to the first trilogy. Well, I still adore Anne McCaffrey and I believe that her books are a fun read, this one was too, just not in my top books.
The Petaybee (short for PTB or Powers That Be) series is one of the best to come from Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough. I bought the Kindle edition from
Apr 23, 2011 Marissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Good summer read-- quick and enjoyable. Petaybee really fascinates me. It is great to revisit the planet and to follow the twins' adventures.
Feb 28, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
McCaffrey, Anne
how the twins struggled to save their home world how their nature transforms their lives and how they live it
Dec 28, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in a series is always awkward, and this is no exception. Still, it was a lot better than many of the books I have read.
Sep 09, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, fast-moving. Make sure you have the 3rd on handy though, because it doesn't resolve, and continues right into #3!
May 05, 2015 Twyla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Hmm, a lot of If I only knew regrets in this one, and the perspective kind of weird.
Aug 20, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Wow, what an ending. A real cliff hanger. I'm glad I have #3 in my library bag :).
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • Anne McCaffrey's Unicorn Girl: The Illustrated Adventures
  • The People of Pern
  • Zandru's Forge (Darkover, #4; Clingfire, #2)
  • The Fleet (The Fleet, #1)
  • SKitty (Shipscat, #1)
  • Outward Bound
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Fifth Annual Collection
  • Command Decision (Vatta's War, #4)
  • Derelict
  • Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)
  • The Making of Legend (Cerebral Network, #1)
  • Silver Moons, Black Steel (Wolfwalker, #6)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Twins of Petaybee (3 books)
  • Changelings