Start by marking “The Velvet Promise” as Want to Read:
The Velvet Promise

The Velvet Promise (Velvet Montgomery Annuals Quadrilogy #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  10,018 ratings  ·  255 reviews
All of England rejoiced on her wedding day. But Judith vowed that her husband would get only what he took from her!
At the flower-bedecked altar, the first touch of their hands ignited an all-consuming passion. Gavin Montgomery looked deep into her golden eyes and burned with desire for her...but his heart had been pledged to another.
Humiliated and alone in a strange ca
Published January 1st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Velvet Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Velvet Promise

Lucy *Mrs Khalid*
This book was too heavy for me!!! -.-
First, the "hero" is a total dick, who is obsessed with some evil blonde slut and doesn't recognize that he is her puppet. He fails to recognize the evil in the bitch and totally mistreats the heroine, his wife, because of said slut.
The heroine just wants his love and approval, which he constantly denies.
She is physically and psychologically abused. She ends up pregnant and risks her life and the life of her unborn child to save him, going to the house of som
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
1.5 stars!

I don’t know how I gave this book 4 stars before. Granted, the overall story is elaborate and entertaining to read but I really wanted to bash the ASSHOLE HERO with a brick. Make that a pile of bricks.

Kickass heroine

+ Awesome side characters

+ Rich and well-researched story

+ Asshole hero?

It’s a weird math equation but that’s how much I HATED the hero Gavin.

(view spoiler)
Jan 01, 2012 ✿Alyssa✿ rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutely Nobody.
Shelves: 2-star
To sum it up: All of England rejoiced on her wedding day, but Judith vowed that her husband would get only what he took from her. ...At the flower-bedecked altar, the first touch of their hands ignited an all-consuming passion. The tall, broad-shouldered Gavin Montgomery looked deep into her golden eyes, stroked her rich auburn hair, and burned with desire for her- But his heart had been pledged to another.

Humiliated and alone in a strange castle, Judith resolved to hate this husband who took he
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I would have loved this book had I not wanted to murder the hero. Gavin Montgomery should be tied to two tons of bricks and dropped off a very high cliff.
2/26/14 ETA: Okay I upped this from 3 to 4 stars, because I did really like it and it's much better than a lot of the 3 star books I have out there. It kept me engaged. I didn't skim, etc. I have a tendency to do this when a character or plot point irks me so bad I can't see the bigger picture. I think I did the same thing with Lily and The Demon Lover. Maybe I should wait a week before writing my reviews. However, I do so love to rant when I'm in the moment :)

***original review***

This is my ver
After doing a re-read, I'm sorry to find The Velvet Promise didn't quite make my original 5 star rating. There were aspects of the heroe's thoughts and actions that took away from my enjoyment.

All in all, still an enjoyable medieval romance featuring four Montgomery Brothers with the spotlight on the oldest brother, Gavin, and his new bride, Judith.

This is an older HR, first published I think in 1981. The version for my re-read was a re-issue in 1991 and includes (view spoiler)
I refuse to finish reading ANY story that involves rape, abuse, or involuntary sexual servitude by the "so called hero" as an erotic act. Even if you have a physical reaction to the abuse, the emotional damage that results is something you never get over. You do not fall in love with your rapist, and you certainly cannot have a healthy relationship with your rapist, and suggesting otherwise is demeaning to sexual abuse victims AND irresponsible.
********** 4 Stars **********

First, a little background: I read this book back in high school and loved it to fervent death. It was my first experience with a proper romance (other than Harlequin Presents) and I fell in love with this epic tale involving knights and ladies and all sorts of sprawling medieval goodness. I was in heaven. Jude Deveraux became my hero and I declared romance my favourite genre. I pulled out pencil and paper and began to write my very first novel (which sucked of cou
Linda Sims

I'm really trying to resist having a rant about this book. I've heard much about this author and being a lover of historical romances I'm not sure how I've not read anything by her before, needless to say this is my first and last book by her.

Gavin Montgomery is in love with Alice Valence their secret meetings cannot go on, marriage is what he wants to the beautiful and doe eyed Alice. But what Gavin doesn't realise is that she has no intention of marrying him, she wants a
First, I struggle to give this two stars because the hero rapes the herione, really, can you do that in a romance where they still end up together? Then there is "the other" women aspect. Which I know for the formula you have to have something that causes a riff and a way for them to come back together but I'm never a fan of it being another woman. Then, back to the rape thing, I know he was suckered by the other woman and didn't really know about the "bedding of a virgin" but really - rather sh ...more
Maria Sanigan
This is what I want with Miss Jude Deveraux’s novels. At first, a reader would think that it’s cliché and nothing interesting or new will come out of it. At first you’ll extremely want to skip pages only to run from scenes you wouldn't like. Fortunately, as the story goes, you’ll be amazed at how interesting and unique the masterpiece really is. It’s a combination of love, passion, fun, with a great sense of humor, and adventure as well.

Plus, it really is cute to have a stone-hearted man sing a
I will never understand why Authors write about two characters that cannot stand each other and only seem to have good communication in the bedroom. This is why I gave The Velvet Promise two stars. I was so frustrated throughout most of the book and I found myself wishing the hero Gavin would just give the Heroine Judith to his Brother Raine. Believe me this would not have been at all out of place with the story line, with how messed up Gavin was over his (not all there in the head) lost love Al ...more
What a blind hero! Gavin annoyed me so much. It was an okay read and I felt the ending was a bit frustrating. It was way too abrupt.
Ashleigh Cartmill
This book was about a 4.5 for me. I love Jude Deveraux and one thing I noticed from reading this book is that she doesn't pull any punches. She doesn't hold back because she's afraid of making the hero less likable or making the reader shy away. And it actually makes the characters in her book even more likable and relatable. Also loved that the King and Queen were the parents of Henry VIII which would only make a Tudor geek like me squeal with fangirl joy.
A story set in a time of different rules, where women were regarded as property and were expected to blindly obey.

Judith has had an unusual upbringing for her era, taught to think for herself and educated, with a specific purpose in life. When her excuse of a father forces her path to change and marries her off to Gavin Montgomery, obeying is not something that comes easy to her and her independence is not something Gavin knows how to handle.

A few scenes that were simply facts of life at that ti
Chelsea Holder
I enjoyed reading this book, but somehow it lacks the angst that I was looking for.

Gavin, the hero is not that likable, he did a lot to Judith that can be considered as offensive. But I'm thinking that this is historical, and oftentimes the hero acts like a jerk/douche bag. In my opinion, Gavin can very well be described in one word, it starts with the letter S...... and it comes in two syllables, what was it? STUPID. He can be considered as blind but to me, stupid is more like it. Because he a
A long time ago I use to voraciously read Jude Deveraux's books. This was before she started using the same storyline and just changed the settings and names.

I listed the Velvet series as one of my favorites (outside of The Duchess) because of how she approached the series. All four books are interrelated as each one tells the story of the four Montgomery brothers during medieval time.

While we read about the romantic unions of these brothers and their mates, each book successfully reveals th
the book was highly entertaining. unfortunately, the hero killed it 4 me,he was no hero. i'm not even sure he redeemed himself the last part but he did suffer enormously, yet even then he cud not face the truth. gavin was madly in love wid his mistress, alice. she held such a special place in his heart dat right 2 the end, he cud not think badly of her. tell me, how can a man still commiserate wid a woman who had as gud as pushed his wife down the stairs!? he still wud not hear bad of her. he wa ...more
I just created a new shelf for this book and it is called" Too Much Drama"

I have never read a book filled with so much drama before, OMG
Drama here, drama there, again drama, one last drop of drama

This is a historical romance, an arranged marriage between Gavin Montgomery the unbearably handsome knight and Judith Revedoune, the daughter of an earl who has golden eyes and is so beautiful and have curves that make men gasps and bla bla and bla bla...

At first Gavin wants nothing to do with her beca
Brenda (b)
First story of four Montgomery brothers. I enjoyed meeting the Montgomery family. Judith was a strong character. Gavin aggravated me though. He was one of those men who believe the wrong person without question and won't consider that he could be blind to the truth. Also, I thought the ending was a bit abrupt.
Ashley Cassidy
I've read a lot of historical romances and this is one of my favorites!!
I love Judith!! She's got spunk and class. She's determined to make the best of her circumstances and stay strong!!
The part about her miscarriage broke my heart, so readers should be forewarned, particularly if they have recently had a miscarriage or are pregnant.
I was surprised that he wasn't actually having sex with his "mistress." It doesn't seem like real drama on that front. Even though it seemed he was still infatuated
I like the character of Judith already; she rather become a prioress (high ranking nun) than get married and "become a servant to a man". I sense the beginnings of a strong woman character.

Judith is turning out to be quite a woman! When she accidentally spies Gavin, newly her husband, and Alice (vindictive, crazy, lover of Gavins) talking she tells Gavin exactly what is on her mind. Judith doesn't run away crying instead she claps and says Alice put on quite a performance and basically how dumb
I love this kind of story! Had a similar feel to The Black Lyon, which I believe is the first one in the Montgomery series since Ranulf and Lyonene named their child Montgomery, but they must have been way before this time. The only thing mentioned was the Montgomery's had been around for hundreds of years.

The Velvet Promise is about the Montgomery brothers, 4 in total, and I can see from the way they were characterized I will want to read all of their stories. Gavin the oldest Montgomery, he f

I think the only reason I didn't give this book 4 or 4.5 star is because of the hero, Gavin. He is by far my most disliked hero, and I think I am being very nice by using dislike, because the words that come to mind are not fit to be written down. I read this book in one day, mostly because I thought just like other medieval romances, hero starts out bad, but we would end up liking/loving him. I was just waiting for the hero's redeeming quality to come out and it never happened! I feel like I am
Unlike other romances and I'm not lessening their reading for they are of the greatest sagas I've ever read, both historical romantic and Historical fiction; Skye O'Malley and Skye's Legacy, Dragon and the Jewel, Falcon and the Flower, the World of Hetar series which I'm on book 3, and they are all wonderful; yet this book the characters are even more flawed. Gavin Montgomery is an Earl who despite being responsible is like the Byronic hero, handsome granted, by very flawed and his main flaw is ...more
My first thought after reading this book was: historical romance has definitely changed in the past twenty years. I thank you, publishing gods! This book was originally published in 1981, and it shows.

It wasn’t all bad. I enjoyed the heroine, Judith, I thought she was strong and independent but when it came to the hero she was a bubbling idiot, her emotions all over the place. I didn’t care for the hero, Gavin, a blind fool who was guided by his honour (or something else!). I enjoyed the hero's
Read this book ages ago as a teen and re-read it because I glutted myself on a bunch of not-so-great romance novels; I thought that a dose of good romance writing would help me shake of the horror of some truly awful plots and characters. Upon rereading this novel as an adult I found that I again enjoyed the heroine, Judith Revedoune. She still stands out as a resourceful, intelligent woman. The character of Gavin Montgomery, Judith's love-interest and husband by arranged marriage, is a differen ...more
Fafiliebe ♥ Prince Maxon ♥ Raffe ♥

kinda skimmed through it mostly, i did that because i have already read some reviews that made me set an opinion on the book before reading it. prejudice..
however i am gonna read the series.. i like the boys :P
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • The Conqueror
  • The Rake's Rainbow
  • Tender Fury
  • Rosehaven (Medieval Song, #5)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • Fires of Winter (Haardrad Viking Family, #1)
  • Never Call It Love
  • Simple Gifts: Just Curious / Miracles / Change of Heart / Double Exposure (Westmoreland, #3.5)
  • Stormfire
  • Wicked Loving Lies (Morgan-Challenger, #3)
  • Gentle Warrior
  • Forbidden Love
  • The Devil's Love
  • The Wolf and the Dove
  • Lions And Lace (Van Alen Sisters #1)
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first bo
More about Jude Deveraux...

Velvet Montgomery Annuals Quadrilogy (4 books)
  • Highland Velvet