Start by marking “Little White Lies: A Novel of Love and Good Intentions” as Want to Read:
Little White Lies: A Novel of Love and Good Intentions

Little White Lies: A Novel of Love and Good Intentions

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  5,821 ratings  ·  153 reviews
WHAT’S ONE LITTLE WHITE LIE?

Published March 29th 2005 by Ballantine Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Little White Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little White Lies

Love Fool
Okay, so it isn’t that little. It’s kind of a whopper. It’s just that when Natalie Raglan ups and quits her job at a Bath advertising firm, breaks up with her loser-ish boyfriend, and moves–to London! Things don’t quite turn out the way she planned. Having made the brave move to the Big City, the lifelong country mouse finds that living chic is still a long way off. Even Cressida, the girl who used to rent her tiny flat, still gets more phone calls and mail there than Nat does. Come to think of ...more
Leanna
I was in need of a romantic fix, so I picked up Gemma Townley’s Little White Lies. Townley and Shopaholic’s Sophie Kinsella (Madeleine Wickham) are actually sisters, and they both excel in the “Chick Lit” genre. Kinsella’s books have better-developed characters and plots than White Lies, but Townley has the formula down.

White Lies' Natalie Raglan moves to London and finds herself alone and lonely. She’s jealous of the mail and phone calls Cressida, who used to live in Natalie’s flat, still recei
Ashley
I LOVEDLOVEDLOVED this book!!

The beginning grabbed me from the get-go and I was hooked until the very end!! Funny, witty and makes you just wish you had a best friend just like her!!

You know what she's doing is totally wrong and, not to mention, illegal but you find yourself making excuses for her and seeing the good in what she's doing!

A must for every girl.
Kathy
I wish I had read some reviews on this book before I bought it. This book is about a small town girl who moves to the city and takes on the identity of the woman who had lived in the apartment before her. I found the protagonist, Natalie Raglan, to be wimpy, ditsy, superficial, and extremely indecisive. She rambled on and on about what she was doing wrong but never did anything about it. She seemed to repeat the same sentence over and over again. Towards the middle of the book, I found myself ju ...more
Giovanna Santoriello
2 stelle e forse...mezza.
Ho deciso che devo lasciare il chick lit da parte per un po', e l'ho deciso quando ero circa a 100 pagine dall'inizio di questo libro. Sono stata tentata di abbandonarlo diverse volte, ed è per questo che ho deciso di finirlo in pochi giorni (e anche perchè in biblioteca era già riprenotato, per cui l'alternativa era: finirlo a breve oppure riconsegnarlo e richiederne un'altra copia- cosa che non avrei più fatto, visto il mio scarso interesse verso il libro in questione-
Jena
About what you would expect from the Shopaholic genre - absurdly complicated scenarios from a ditzy protagonist who should end up penniless living in a room in her parents house but instead comes out on top of the world due a couple of fortuitous chance meetings with random strangers. But all in all, not a bad beach book.
Nicoletta

"Le piccole bugie del cuore" è il primo libro che leggo di Gemma Townley.
Nello scorrere le uscite di marzo 2014, questo rientra nel gruppo delle copertine che hanno attirato la mia attenzione, sia per il titolo che per l'immagine. Non son riuscita a fermare i miei ricordi d'infanzia, ad un altro paio di scarpette dello stesso colore, quelle della strega dell'Est nel Mago di Oz.
Questa è la storia di Natalie Raglan, una ragazza nata e cresciuta nella provinc
Jess
An interesting enough premise, but had some unanswered questions and plot holes. How did Natalie get off scot-free though she impersonated someone else for a few months? Why did no one ever question her identity? The ending seemed rushed and did not provide a satisfying close to the story.
Susan
I was leaning toward a 3, but near the end of the novel the story fell into the chick lit cliche of ridiculous misunderstanding. The main character Natalie is likeable enough, and at least the author provides a reason for her indecision and "gosh, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings" attitude.
Leslie
I picked this book up at the airport and finished it on the plane I absolutely loved this book!
Lara
I don't know why this was still on my Want to Read list, as I'd apparently read it already. Very much like in Unraveled, Townley spends a goodly amount of time stuck in protagonist Natalie's head.

Unfortunately, it seems that there is quite a lot of fiction that relies heavily on the main characters being so self-centered that they mis-understand what other characters are saying. It doesn't help that their communications skills are so poor, and their actions so extreme.

For instance, Natalie has f
Emily
This book is about Natalie Raglan, who has left her smaller town of Bath, England for the big town of London. Things aren't really working out how Natalie though they would, she is at home every night, not making friends, and working in a dress shop with the boss from Hell. The past tenant of her apartment gets more phone calls and mail than Natalie does. One night after finally making progress with a social life, going out with co workers to the bar, Natalie does something and opens the past te ...more
Jessica Lawlor
Little White Lies: A Novel of Love and Good Intentions by Gemma Townley tells the story of Natalie Raglan, a 20-something just looking for adventure. When Natalie quits her job in Bath, England for a more exciting life in the big city of London, she realizes that sometimes adventure isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

Natalie gets an apartment in London and a job at a high-end clothing shop in town. She doesn’t have much of a social life and is disappointed by her new life in the big city. Natalie’s
Camille
Little White Lies by Gemma Townley

Little White Lies is the story of Natalie, who has just moved to London from the countryside. She got cheated on by her ex and is ready to start a whole new life in a new town. So, she quits her job, packs up, and moves to London.

Unfortunately for Natalie, life in London does not pick up as quickly as she would hope. She finds herself in a downgraded job (she now works retail, before she worked in marketing), with no friends, and staying in every Friday and Satu
Jana
This was actually the first book I‘ve ever read written by Gemma Townley. I did not even know about her existence before I stumbled over a blog post by A Woman Reading who wrote about her. Gemma Townley is the sister of Sophie Kinsella and also writes Chick Lit. Since I love Sophie Kinsella books I definitely wanted to try out a book written by her sister. I chose Little White Lies because it is about a girl moving from a smaller city to London and tries to find her way through life. I liked the ...more
life's a fairy tale
If the letter Natalie opened was meant to connect Cressida to Simon's father then why did it have Simon's number on it?

Anyway, overall I really liked this book. It had some really cute moments, but also had some moments that really bothered me (Natalie's constant justification of everything - ugh!). In the end, the fact that Natalie pretended to be someone else and opened someone else's mail ended up not even being that big of a deal. Seriously, the people she lied to didn't even care... after
Nicholas
This book started out slow but once I got so far into the book i really got into it. But then the ending came and I just didn't really care for it. I wish it would have been something else. It was an okay read and I would definitely read more from this author if I ever saw it.
Probably more like 2.5 stars. Pretty cute book - light and fluffy. Pretty well written for this genre, but less than a week after finishing, I'm having a hard time remembering what happened in the story. I'd say I liked it, it was a good time-passer, but never really felt connected to it.
Angie
This was my first time reading anything by Gemma Townley, but I'm a big fan of her sister, Sophie Kinsella (aka Madeleine Wickham). It was a fun, quick read, but also a very typical, predictable chick lit novel. The main character, Natalie Raglan, moves from Bath to London with hopes of starting a new, more glamorous life, but after a month still finds herself home alone every weekend. Then, one night in a fit of drunken boredom, she opens her flat's previous tenant's mail and the lying begins. ...more
Courtney
Another cute book from Gemma Townley. I once again found myself rolling my eyes a little bit at the silliness of the heroine and her inability to 'fess up to her lies, but at the same time, I can appreciate how difficult it is to come clean after truly inventing a wild story that is believed! There's only one other book that I haven't read by this author and I am definitely interested in finding and reading it.

UPDATE:
So I reread this book and I didn't like it as much the 2nd time. I found the w
Marika
Very quick read. Great beach book! Quality chick lit.
Eli
Lying, even fictional lying, makes me uncomfortable.
Sirisha Muppala
It was an easy-read. I liked how Gemma Townley described the characters in this novel. I wouldn’t say it is a must-read. She had pretty well written a woman’s feelings, but I think she got a bit too much about it. I have to say, I liked the ending. A total fancy life dreaming girl completely turns into a superwoman and goes after her dreams. I still give this book a 3.0 since I got a li’l bored half way through and slightly impatient to know what happens with Natalie at the end, since it was too ...more
Meaghan
while all the lies didnt make as much trouble as i imagined they would, this was still a fun, easy and very entertaining.
Vanessa Valentinuzzi
http//chicklitworld.wordpress.com
bookczuk
Tried to read it, but mostly skimmed it. The basic premise bothered me and I knew that I'd feel really pissed off if everything worked out in the end, even if the author is sisters with Sophie Kinsella. There may have been some meat in the tale but there was a great deal of superficiality which put me off -- things like the idea that someone will "pop the question" to a girl because she's wearing designer clothes, or that bank accounts matter more than actual emotions.
Kathleen
I just reached chapter 4 and I am not sure if I am going to finish this one. I am frustrated by the fact that almost an entire chapter was dedicated to the agony of whether or not she should open an envelope. JUST OPEN it already!! And then what a let down when she finally does. *sigh* You pretty much figure out what is going to happen from there. I think this book could have had some promise, but there are too many books, and so little time. I am quitting now.
Tara
Since I did like the ending I would give it 2 1/2 stars, but overall I was not very enamored with the book. I thought the story was promising. I think too much attention was given to superficial things like clothing and how people looked. After just a few pages I got that Notting Hill is full of fashionable people, so after the 4th or 5th time that it was insinuated I was irritated.

It may be that I am not a huge fan of "chick lit," but not a strong book for me.
  • Playing James
  • Weekend in Paris
  • The Nearly Weds
  • Accidental It Girl
  • Misery Loves Cabernet (Charlize Edwards, #2)
  • Holly's Inbox (Holly's Inbox #1)
  • Goodbye, Jimmy Choo
  • Diary of a Mad Mom-to-Be
  • I Do -- But I Don't
  • The Love of Her Life
  • Falling for You
  • Fourplay
  • Rescuing Rose
  • Swimming Pool Sunday
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • Fifteen Minutes of Shame
  • With or Without You
  • Frenemies
Gemma Townley launched her writing career at the age of sixteen with a book review in Harpers & Queen. At Reading University, unimpressed with the official university paper, Spark, she launched a satirical rival, Spank, which she edited for a year before taking over as deputy editor on Spark and features editor on South-East Student.

Gemma is currently head of communications at the Chartered In
More about Gemma Townley...
The Importance of Being Married (Jessica Wild, #1) When in Rome...: A Novel of Piazzas and Passion The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook Learning Curves A Wild Affair (Jessica Wild, #2)