Start by marking “Shelter in a Soldier's Arms” as Want to Read:
Shelter in a Soldier's Arms

Shelter in a Soldier's Arms (That Special Woman)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  292 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
When Jeff Ritter offered Ashley Churchill shelter, the struggling single mom longed to lean on his broad shoulders. And though she accepted a job as his housekeeper, Ashley was determined to make her own happiness, without the heartbreak of loving a man. No matter how tempting that man was....

It was Jeff's nature to protect, but his heart was off-limits--even to the woman
Published June 1st 2001 by Silhouette Desire (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Shelter in a Soldier's Arms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shelter in a Soldier's Arms

♥ Melody
2.5

The heroine was too selfish and emotionally manipulative for my tastes.

STRIKE 1
Ashley: Why are you helping us? Why are you being kind to my daughter? She’s not your child!
Jeff: I just want to make things easier for you. Help you out. And I like Maggie.
Ashley: Have your own kids! I’m not your charity case!!! *stomps foot & storms off*
(2 seconds later) I'm sorry...I overreacted.

**********
STRIKE 2
Jeff: I don't have protection but I'm clean. Are you sure?
Ashley: I don't care. Make love to me
Saly
Aug 12, 2011 Saly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Saly by: Mia
This one was really good, with a sweet four year old girl Maggie and her single financially struggling mom Ashley and a hardened ex-soldier Jeff.

Jeff thinks someone has broken into his security firm and finds Maggie and his mom, who is sick. He drops her off and then picks her up the next day to bring her home(her building has a burst pipe), takes cares of them and when the time comes to leave offers Ashley a house-keeping job.

I loved every moment of the book it was sweet and delightful. Jeff do
Peni
Apr 13, 2014 Peni rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 14+ and mature
Another excellent story by Susan Mallery. The story involving a ex-Special Forces soldier now working in high level security is unique. Instead of the usual glossy portral of the hero, we see a man broken by what he has seen and had to do. I felt that Ms Mallery did a terrific job at getting his character down. Overall the characterizations were in keeping with the ability of the author really show who everyone is.

I recommend this story to the over 14 crowd do to sexual content.

Looking forward t
Megan
Megan The Nitwit shall be thy name.

Shelter in a Soldier's Arms has been in my giant tbr pile for nearly two years but once i began this story, I wanted to kick myself. Why, oh way, do I put off reading my tbr pile in favor of a whim? Will i ever learn? Sigh. Oh well.

Anyway, I loved this book! I found the romance refreshingly realistic. It didn't happen too quickly. Ashley was very concerned about Jeff's motivations but, really, what good parent wouldn't wonder why a single man (essentially a st
Emily Higgins
Apr 05, 2015 Emily Higgins rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Ashley Churchill is a single mother going to college during the day and cleaning offices at night. One night, sick with the flu, she lay down to rest and fell asleep. The owner of the business found her asleep the next morning. When he found out that her apartment building had been flooded, he offered to let her and her daughter live in his home in exchange for housekeeping duties. Good story.
Sue
Mar 28, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Much better than a standard contemporary, Susan Mallery who writes for the more mainstream romance now was really showing her chops when she wrote this. She writes with a lot of heart. Cinderella lives as does Prince Charming, and I mean that almost literally in this books. Stranger rescues a woman and her child... and the story goes from there.

Very enjoyable.
Apr 17, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Zane's store first, and now I'm so glad I got to read Jeff's story! I really liked this book. I liked how kind Jeff was to Ashley and Maggie. Maggie was so cute! She definitely made the story! Great HEA. I just love Susan Mallery!
Idania M
Jan 20, 2015 Idania M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Idania by: got it from susan mallery wed site
I really love this book.Ashley Churchill always her little girl Maggie. Her luck turned and the only protection she could find was in her boss security specialist Jeff Ritter. when jeff meet ashley he
thought someone had broken in at the security firm and finds maggie and her sick mom with the flu. I really like this love story.
Cary
Jun 17, 2015 Cary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you can get past two people who have their lives planned out and firmly stand by those plans despite falling in love with each other then the book is fine. The plot is a variation on a theme though.
Rachel
Oct 11, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poignant story

I just loved this story. Single Mom trying to raise a child. Scarred man falls in love. Just enjoyed this book, couldn't put it down.
Arushi
Feb 07, 2014 Arushi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A short but fairly good read. The story is more about growing emotionally than anything else. And the little girl is so cute!
April Anne
Oct 13, 2013 April Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay...maybe Ashley's a bit of a bitch when it comes to dealing with her fears. She reacts defensively, but given the things she's been through, plus the fact that she clearly knows what she wants and she's adamant in getting what she truly deserves, it's quite okay. Besides, she admits her faults in the end. She realizes that she needs action more than the words. I am in love with Maggie. Wouldn't it be fun if all our kids are just as perfect. Never in the book she throw a tantrum no matter how ...more
Kyle
Terrible cover but cute story.
Maureen Hubley
Jun 23, 2015 Maureen Hubley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the story. It was one of the early ones.
Jewett
Jan 24, 2015 Jewett rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A love story with a slight twist and a cute kid.
Lena2011
Aug 17, 2011 Lena2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the hero in this book and I loved watching him evolve. I also loved his interaction with Maggie. They were my favorite characters in the book. The heroine was ok, but I didn't get as much of an emotional attachment to her. This is one of my comfort reads and I read it at least 3 times a year when I want something familiar.
Fran
Dec 25, 2011 Fran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: src-winter-11
The little girl stole the show. She was so adorable and did a great job of melting Jeff's heart. Ashley was refreshingly independent and feisty. A sweet story. (view spoiler)
Suzanne
This book was adorable! The little girl was so cute, she reminded me of my own 4 year old!
Lisa
Nov 16, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome little story. Holds your attention from start to finish
Amy
Jan 20, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. I enjoy it every time
Karen Gregory
Karen Gregory marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Sara
Sara added it
Feb 04, 2016
Booksingarden
Booksingarden rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Ine Janssens
Ine Janssens marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
SRH
SRH marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
  • A Baby For Emily (Silhouette Special Edition #1466)
  • Her Sister's Baby
  • His Second-Chance Family (The Women of Brambleberry House, #2)
  • Suddenly You
  • The Marriage Conspiracy (Bravo Family, #9) (Conveniently Yours, #8)
  • Whatever Reilly Wants... (Three-Way Wager, #2)
  • More Than Words: Stories Of Strength: Close Call\Built To Last\Find The Way
  • Safe in His Arms
  • Treat Her Right (Men To The Rescue #4) (Harlequin Temptation, No. 852)
  • Return to Santa Flores (Loveswept, #40)
  • The Soldier And The Baby
  • The Tender Stranger (Soldiers of Fortune, #2)
  • Land of Dreams
  • Familiar Stranger (A Year Of Loving Dangerously)
  • The Greek Tycoon's Defiant Bride (The Rich, the Ruthless and the Really Handsome, #2) (Harlequin Presents, #2700)
  • The Army Doctor's Christmas Collection (Army Doctor's Baby, #1-3)
  • Sophie and the Scorching Sicilian (The Balfour Brides #4)
  • His Bride
With more than 25 million books sold worldwide, #1 New York Times bestselling author Susan Mallery is known for creating characters who feel as real as the folks next door, and for putting them into emotional, often funny situations readers recognize from their own lives. Susan’s books have made Booklist’s Top 10 Romances list in four out of five consecutive years. RT Book Reviews says, “When it c ...more
More about Susan Mallery...

That Special Woman (6 books)
  • For The Baby's Sake (Silhouette Special Edition, #925)
  • Same Time, Next Year (Silhouette Special Edition, #937)
  • White Wolf  (Silhouette Special Edition, #1135)
  • Where Dreams Have Been (Silhouette Special Edition, #949)
  • The Parson's Waiting