Start by marking “Shelter in a Soldier's Arms” as Want to Read:
Shelter in a Soldier's Arms

Shelter in a Soldier's Arms (That Special Woman)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  12 reviews
When Jeff Ritter offered Ashley Churchill shelter, the struggling single mom longed to lean on his broad shoulders. And though she accepted a job as his housekeeper, Ashley was determined to make her own happiness, without the heartbreak of loving a man. No matter how tempting that man was....

It was Jeff's nature to protect, but his heart was off-limits--even to the woman
Published June 1st 2001 by Silhouette Desire (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Shelter in a Soldier's Arms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shelter in a Soldier's Arms

Saly
This one was really good, with a sweet four year old girl Maggie and her single financially struggling mom Ashley and a hardened ex-soldier Jeff.

Jeff thinks someone has broken into his security firm and finds Maggie and his mom, who is sick. He drops her off and then picks her up the next day to bring her home(her building has a burst pipe), takes cares of them and when the time comes to leave offers Ashley a house-keeping job.

I loved every moment of the book it was sweet and delightful. Jeff do
♥ Melody
2.5

The heroine was too selfish and emotionally manipulative for my tastes.

STRIKE 1
Ashley: Why are you helping us? Why are you being kind to my daughter? She’s not your child.
Jeff: I just want to make things easier for you. Help you out. And I like Maggie.
Ashley: Have your own kids! I’m not your charity case!!! *stomps foot & storms off*
(2 seconds later) I'm sorry...I overreacted.

**********
STRIKE 2
Jeff: I don't have protection but I'm clean. Are you sure?
Ashley: I don't care. Make love to me
Peni
Apr 13, 2014 Peni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 14+ and mature
Another excellent story by Susan Mallery. The story involving a ex-Special Forces soldier now working in high level security is unique. Instead of the usual glossy portral of the hero, we see a man broken by what he has seen and had to do. I felt that Ms Mallery did a terrific job at getting his character down. Overall the characterizations were in keeping with the ability of the author really show who everyone is.

I recommend this story to the over 14 crowd do to sexual content.

Looking forward t
Megan
Megan The Nitwit shall be thy name.

Shelter in a Soldier's Arms has been in my giant tbr pile for nearly two years but once i began this story, I wanted to kick myself. Why, oh way, do I put off reading my tbr pile in favor of a whim? Will i ever learn? Sigh. Oh well.

Anyway, I loved this book! I found the romance refreshingly realistic. It didn't happen too quickly. Ashley was very concerned about Jeff's motivations but, really, what good parent wouldn't wonder why a single man (essentially a st
Idania M
Jan 20, 2015 Idania M rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Idania by: got it from susan mallery wed site
I really love this book.Ashley Churchill always her little girl Maggie. Her luck turned and the only protection she could find was in her boss security specialist Jeff Ritter. when jeff meet ashley he
thought someone had broken in at the security firm and finds maggie and her sick mom with the flu. I really like this love story.
Arushi
A short but fairly good read. The story is more about growing emotionally than anything else. And the little girl is so cute!
April Anne
Okay...maybe Ashley's a bit of a bitch when it comes to dealing with her fears. She reacts defensively, but given the things she's been through, plus the fact that she clearly knows what she wants and she's adamant in getting what she truly deserves, it's quite okay. Besides, she admits her faults in the end. She realizes that she needs action more than the words. I am in love with Maggie. Wouldn't it be fun if all our kids are just as perfect. Never in the book she throw a tantrum no matter how ...more
Lena2011
I really enjoyed the hero in this book and I loved watching him evolve. I also loved his interaction with Maggie. They were my favorite characters in the book. The heroine was ok, but I didn't get as much of an emotional attachment to her. This is one of my comfort reads and I read it at least 3 times a year when I want something familiar.
Fran
The little girl stole the show. She was so adorable and did a great job of melting Jeff's heart. Ashley was refreshingly independent and feisty. A sweet story. (view spoiler)
Suzanne
This book was adorable! The little girl was so cute, she reminded me of my own 4 year old!
Lisa
Awesome little story. Holds your attention from start to finish
Amy
Excellent. I enjoy it every time
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Wanda Gibson
Wanda Gibson marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Ruth Swanberg
Ruth Swanberg marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Meg Fielding
Meg Fielding marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
  • A Baby For Emily (Silhouette Special Edition #1466)
  • Her Sister's Baby
  • Treat Her Right (Men To The Rescue #4) (Harlequin Temptation, No. 852)
  • The Tender Stranger (Silhouette Desire, #230)
  • The Greek Tycoon's Defiant Bride (The Rich, the Ruthless and the Really Handsome, #2) (Harlequin Presents, #2700)
  • Whatever Reilly Wants... (Three-Way Wager, #2)
  • More Than Words: Stories Of Strength: Close Call\Built To Last\Find The Way
  • I Do, I Do, I Do
  • Return to Santa Flores (Loveswept, #40)
  • Safe in His Arms
  • Tallie's Knight
  • Liam's Perfect Woman (Home to Harbor Town, #2)
  • Powerful Italian, Penniless Housekeeper
  • Falling Angel
  • Double Take
  • First Date (The Bridesmaid Chronicles, #1)
  • Suddenly You
  • The Soldier (McPherson Brothers, #2)
With more than 25 million books sold worldwide, New York Times bestselling author Susan Mallery is known for creating characters who feel as real as the folks next door, and for putting them into emotional, often funny situations readers recognize from their own lives. Susan’s books have made Booklist’s Top 10 Romances list in four out of five consecutive years. RT Book Reviews says, “When it come ...more
More about Susan Mallery...

That Special Woman (6 books)
  • For The Baby's Sake (Silhouette Special Edition, #925)
  • Same Time, Next Year (Silhouette Special Edition, #937)
  • White Wolf  (Silhouette Special Edition, #1135)
  • Where Dreams Have Been (Silhouette Special Edition, #949)
  • The Parson's Waiting
Chasing Perfect (Fool's Gold, #1) Only Yours (Fool's Gold, #5) Only Mine (Fool's Gold #4) Almost Perfect (Fool's Gold, #2) Finding Perfect (Fool's Gold, #3)