Start by marking “Darwin's Children” as Want to Read:
Darwin's Children

Darwin's Children (Darwin's Radio #2)

3.61  ·  Rating Details ·  4,398 Ratings  ·  190 Reviews
Greg Bear’s Nebula Award–winning novel, Darwin’s Radio, painted a chilling portrait of humankind on the threshold of a radical leap in evolution—one that would alter our species forever. Now Bear continues his provocative tale of the human race confronted by an uncertain future, where “survival of the fittest” takes on astonishing and controversial new dimensions.

DARWIN’S
Published March 4th 2003 by Del Rey (first published December 20th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Darwin's Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darwin's Children

Rebecca McNutt
Darwin's Children was interesting with its deep philosophical questions about what it means to be human, and the author is undoubtedly talented, but I couldn't relate to the characters and I didn't really like the writing style although I liked the book's plot.
Sandi
May 23, 2012 Sandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This duology (Darwin's Radio and Darwin's Children) is what hard SF should be. It takes some really out-there science, in this case biology and evolution, adds a great story and characters you care about, and makes you really think about what could be. As a Christian who loves science and thinks that Christians who deny all evolutionary theory are off-base, I really appreciated that Bear didn't use his story to declare that there is no God and that people who believe in Him are stupid. Instead, ...more
Ireney Berezniak
Flat characters, flat story, unappealing premise ... the second book of Greg Bear's "Darwin's Radio" series made me question what it was exactly that I enjoyed in his first book.

Part 1 of "Darwin's Children" was particularly tedious, and I had contemplated abandoning the read altogether. The drudgery of various legal proceedings and political discourses effectively eliminated any interesting character or story development. I persevered, and the novel improved slightly in parts 2 and 3.

Initially
Devin
Oct 26, 2011 Devin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For all its trappings as a thriller that keeps the reader turning the pages this is a deeply researched science fiction tale that speculates upon the social upheaval caused by accelerated evolution. This is the sequel to the equally thrilling _Darwin's Radio_, and it is remarkable how fresh that read felt and how easy it was to get re-engaged with these characters after more than ten years reading that prequel. Taken together, the Darwin novels mix together a heady concoction of speculative biol ...more
Thomas
Jan 14, 2009 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sciencefiction
Wow. Another excellent book by Greg Bear. This guy writes about hard science in a way that keeps the reader engaged and edified, and writes scenes and characters that really resonate. He's helped in this regard by the fact that I just read Darwin's Radio a few weeks ago, and am still very familiar with the characters and situations he's building upon here.

But wow. This book just flows. well though-out, intriguing and beautifully written.
Jerry Brabenec
Apr 17, 2016 Jerry Brabenec rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A seamless continuation of the previous novel "Darwin's Radio". Characterization, dialogue, and mood are strong points in these novels. They are NOT space operas. Point of view is important and Greg gives us the individual's perspective, not an omniscient explanation. The science is well researched, wish I'd discovered the "Primer on Biology" and glossary at the back of the book. Another science fiction novel with a recommended reading list.

Humans and post-humans struggle to reach an understandi
Mandy Moody
Darwin's Children is the sequel to Darwin's Radio. As I've found with most sequels, it wasn't quite as good as the original.
It was very, very good - it's just that Darwin's Radio was outstanding.
This story picks up about 10 years after the first. Stella Nova is a pre-teen, gently rebellious as a result of being isolated from other "new children". The book begins with her running away from home. Much of the story is dedicated to her and her counterparts.
Kaye and Christopher Dicken are back, of c
SF_Fangirl
Apr 09, 2012 SF_Fangirl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Very disappointing. Darwin's Radio was clearly an incomplete book which left me hanging, but the conclusion in Darwin's Children was not as satisfying. The book is told in three sections that each jump ahead a few years. The jumps make the story disjointed and leave cahracter's experience's glossed over and unexplained. The second section, the bulk of the book, had Kaye going from one meeting to anther spouting scientific/biological jargon that did not help me understand anything. Mitch's anthro ...more
Calen
Aug 09, 2010 Calen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it simply as a conclusion to Darwin's Radio, but it was an awfully long conclusion concerned mostly with humanity's (or at least american's) inability to deal with change and the incredible ineptitude and corruption of our political system, while abandoning, or at least ceasing to elaborate on, the concepts explored in the first.

It was a little frustrating that several of the main characters loose ends were never really wrapped up and an unexpected religious element was introduced that
Roddy Williams
'Evolution is no longer just a theory

Stella Nova is one of the ‘virus children’, a generation of genetically enhanced babies born a dozen years before to mothers infected with the SHEVA virus.

In fact, the children represent the next great evolutionary leap and a new species of human, Homo sapiens novus, but this is officially denied. They’re gentle, charming and persuasive, possessed of remarkable traits. Nevertheless, they are locked up in special schools, quarantined from society, feared and r
prcardi
Storyline: 3/5
Characters: 4/5
Writing Style: 3/5
World: 4/5

I didn't really want to read this. I was somewhat ambivalent about the first in the series, Darwin's Radio, and I really thought I'd have been happier if a sequel had not been written. The first ended with adequate closure, and the thought of a follow-up novel was not in the least enticing. But when a sequel is available I have a hard time saying no. So I read, and I was surprised by what I read. This was one of those rare cases where the
Judy
Mar 07, 2010 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi

This is the sequel to Greg Bear's 1999 Darwin's Radio. It is just as exciting and unique as the first book, if not more. The story opens with Stella, the "virus" daughter of the two scientists from Darwin's Radio, who is now eleven years old and living a highly protected life off the grid with her two parents. Though they have given her the best parenting they cannot give her what she wants most at that age: the freedom to move freely in the world and to have friends her own age.

More than a deca
Reinhold
Mar 20, 2015 Reinhold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In seiner langersehnte Weiterführung von "Das Darwin-Virus" erzählt Greg Bear die Geschichte der SHEVA-Kinder (die durch mutierte Retroviren erzeugten Neuen Kinder; d.h. Kinder eines neuen Menschen-Typus) konsequent weiter; allerdings mit einem großen Unterschied:
War sein Vorgänger noch ein Hard Science Thriller aus der Welt der Biologie allerersten Güte, so ist dieser Nachfolge-Roman Greg Bears in meinen Augen in erster Linie eine Abrechnung mit der amerikanischen Gesellschaft dieser Tage.
Wie b
Brad
Mar 25, 2013 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a sequel, I wanted the novel to be everything that Darwin's Radio was: horrifying and hopeful, amazing speculation and memorable characters. What I did get was a pretty cool adventure with a whole new race of humanity trying to adjust with the old species, and the ideas and development were quite good. This one felt more like a regular sci-fi, and unfortunately, it felt like a long epilogue.

Taken on it's own, the novel holds up and is fascinating and very enjoyable, memorable characters and a
Tresuiri
May 18, 2010 Tresuiri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was better than the first. There is a lot less science in the sequel, and a lot more drama. Unfortunately after a lot of build up and a peak, the other side of the dramatic peak lets off very quickly. I wouldn't say it is a disappointment just that Mr. Bear elected not to flesh out a bit more chapters that he clearly could have. So it is a bit of a jump, but adding those chapters would have made the book a lot longer. As a fluff book to kill commuting time, I would have liked t ...more
David
May 19, 2009 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel picks up with the characters from Darwin's Radio several story-years later. One I will say, Bear sure knows how to put the screws to his characters! Their situation continues to worsen through most of the story. Even more than with the first of the series, this novel is a study of how American society suffers a loss of civil rights and degradation of the integrity of its legal and political systems under world-changing stress. As such, it is clear allegory for recent events as well as ...more
Lori
Aug 28, 2010 Lori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Darwin's Children is not compelling. The characters fall flat in Darwin's Children, just as they did in Darwin's Radio.

Darwin's Children is essentially the same characters grown older. They face issues with integrating into society and with government running amok with fear and power; there is no new science introduced and there is nothing novel or compelling about the integration or fear issues (tragic, yes; compelling, no).

I think the first book is absolutely worth reading; I would skip Darwi
Mark Heptonstall
Jan 29, 2012 Mark Heptonstall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. I found it really emotive (having two young children) and thought provoking in many parts. Read it in about three days as I couldn't put it down. I really can't get my head around how Greg Bear can move from hard sci-fi to such a deep technically explained true science based novel such as this. Awesome awe for him!
Veronica
Jan 19, 2016 Veronica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was very disappointed with this novel. I found it too long and filled with complex scientific ideas that I really didn't understand. At the end, I found that it made no difference and a simpler story would have been more enjoyable.
Kae Cheatham
Feb 18, 2011 Kae Cheatham rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spec-fiction
Second of a series
OVER WRITTEN, with pages of conversation that aren't important and characters who could have been left out. The head hopping (jumping of POV) was quite distracting. No flow. I never could relate to anyone. Read it all, as an exercise in determination.
Jane Dugger
This book is a sequel to "Darwin's Radio." Read both. A very different tale about evolution. I found them very thought provoking.
Lauren
Apr 26, 2010 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read! I was really on the edge of my seat through many parts of the book. Greg Bear adds such intelligence to his books but in a way that readers new to Sci-Fi can grasp.
Kate
Dec 02, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it is a tense book. Well written and completely different from anything else I have read (aside from Darwin's Radio, of course).
Tagra
Aug 18, 2015 Tagra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is pure emotion.

I don’t actually know how I feel about it. There are parts of it that are probably some of my most favourite scenes I have ever read, and I highlighted a whole bunch of shit just because I really really liked the way it was written. And there are a bunch of parts that made me squint my eyes and scratch disapprovingly at my chin. I spent a whole day reading this book practically non-stop and felt like I was loving every minute of it, until I got to the end, where I stepp
Emanuele Gemelli
A disappointment. If the first book was really interesting and thrilling, this second installment is not meeting the same standards. The story has several holes, it is much less fluid and the author wanted to add a theistic theme, which does not add anything to the story (as he candidly admits himself at the end). Several characters are also out of flow. Story is really dragging along. So, if you thinking to buy this, don't
Sunny
Dec 30, 2016 Sunny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, so articulate and compelling. Suspenseful. However, many questions remain about the "virus children," including Stella Nova. I would have appreciated more of an explanation for their "enhanced communciation abilities."
SaraKat
Jan 13, 2017 SaraKat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Eh. I was bored.
Brian
Feb 04, 2017 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Total disappointment. Very disjointed and the story wanders. Good try but hopeless.
Chelsea
Apr 12, 2008 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darwin's Children is the second in the "Darwin" series by Greg Bear. The man has clearly done his research. The first book, Darwin's Radio, (which I have not written about previously) introduces us to the next step in the evolution of man, brought about by the activation of previously dormant sections of DNA resulting in a generation of children unlike those that came before. It's very science-heavy. Close enough to what might actually be possible to stay believable while being exciting enough t ...more
Nicolas
Dans ce roman, on suit les aventures d'une ... famille américaine, dont la fille est une mutante. C'est-à-dire qu'il ne s'agit plus d'un homo sapiens classique, mais d'autre chose. Cette pauvre fille doit survivre dans un monde clairement hostile pour ces mutants, dont tout le monde a peur. Et bien sûr, cette ... famille, le père, la mère, et la fille, vont - quasiment à eux seuls - faire reculer les préjugés contr ces mutants.
Je gardais des précédents romans de cet auteur le souvenir d'un certa
  • Coalescent (Destiny's Children, #1)
  • Sailing Bright Eternity (Galactic Center, #6)
  • Beggars Ride (Sleepless, #3)
  • Kiln People
  • Hybrids (Neanderthal Parallax, #3)
  • Titan (The Grand Tour, #15)
  • Blind Lake
  • The Trigger
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...

Darwin's Radio (2 books)
  • Darwin's Radio (Darwin's Radio #1)

“Mother Nature is a bitch.” 8 likes
“Robert’s problem was familiar to Aquinas. He called it ignorantia affectata, cultivated ignorance.” 3 likes