Cutting Cords (Cutting Cords, #1)

Cutting Cords (Cutting Cords #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  311 ratings  ·  36 reviews
When Sloan Driscoll and Cole Fujiwara become reluctant roommates, neither man is willing to share too much. Sloan is instantly attracted to Cole but knows it's a hopeless cause; Cole has a steady girlfriend. But one night they share a joint, and Cole opens a window neither anticipated. A relationship may be impossible-both men are living with heart-breaking secrets. While...more
Published November 2009 by Dreamspinner Press (first published 2009)

Leah
I enjoyed this book a lot; more so at the beginning than the end. The slow build of Cole and Sloan's relationship was a treat to read. That love helped them both conquer their individual psychological trauma was inspiring. Yeah I'm a kinky sap. **shrugs** The D/s parts with Max and Sloan were strange to me. I'm not saying they weren't hot, just strange. And while I'm typically an HEA kind of chick the last 26 pages or so felt rushed and too neatly resolved. Great Book. Mickie rocks!
Jason Huffman-black
I enjoyed the characters in this book. They were flawed and real.
Elizabeth
So far – a typically schizophrenic m/m story that is falling short for me. Admittedly, I’m a very demanding reader. I just don’t get why we’re expected to accept clumsy exposition or erratic character behaviour, just because we're reading in a non-mainstream genre. (It doesn't help this novel that I'm reading it immediately following Jenna Hilary Sinclair's 'Admit One', which was superb and showcased superior writing skills. Hardly a fair comparison!)

At this point I feel more sympathetic to the...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Please just slice me now. Oh the internal turmoil Sloan experiences cut me to a quick. My good friend, Dee Wy, did NOT mention this book contained cutting. It's a touchy subject for me since I'm a recovered cutter. I don't think any book as come as close to what cutting meant for me as this book did. I cried when I read how Sloan felt about himself.

Ms. Ashling did a marvelous job at capturing the essence of why some people cut themselves. I completely sympathized with Sloan. I can understand why...more
Lacey
Lou Sylvre
This book stole my heart and sold it to Sloan, the MC. More on that later. First a quick description, without spoilers.

A young Sloan heads east to New York to study graphic arts, a place to stay arranged by his domineering father—and the domineering father of Cole, a slightly older roommate who is losing his eyesight and trying to keep it secret. But Sloan has some pretty heavy secrets, too, and he's facing lots of choices, such as whether to do some top-of-the-line fashion modeling, and which o...more
Krista (One Love) (Critical)
Sep 08, 2011 Krista (One Love) (Critical) rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: People who like asshole heroes.
I just don't understand how people can say that SLOAN annoyed them. Are all you people nuts? Cole was a complete and total bastard! The guy cared for no one but himself, accused all gays of being "whores" with no emotions who are unable to love people, AND wanted to have a wife WHILE screwing aroung with Sloan on the side. He actually proposes this ludicrousness to Sloan, expecting him to be happy about it! Are you freaking kidding me? He also calls Sloan a whore and judges him wrongly throughou...more
Dustin
I was planning to give this story a four but decided I liked it enough to give it a five.
What I liked most about this novel was how real the characters were. I could relate to both characters in some form or another. With Cole and his low vision makes me think of my mom because she is considered legally blind and I can tell it sucks for her because she now has to depend on everyone around her. With Sloan, he reminds me of how we both have low self esteem and that we don't feel worthy enough to a...more
Seregil
The book was quite good, but I would rate it a bit under 4 stars (maybe 3.5) because it seemed to me as most of it was about the characters avoiding to actually do something relevant (to the plot and to each other). I know it was about getting the reader to actually know the protagonists and understand the intricacies of just how screwed up each one was in his own way and I wouldn't have minded if, after they finally decide they're meant to be together everything wasn't rushed. I would have real...more
Maggie Simms
I really enjoyed reading Cole and Sloan's story. It was really engaging. It had the right amount of angst and sweet moments. It was nice to see Cole progressed and overcome a lot of his hang-ups.
xbmbgrl

The blurb says that both boys are suffering and that is an understatement. Sloan has body image issues but he also has no coping skills when he is under stress, emotionally hurt or agitated. He resorts to extreme measures to help take away his inner pain for short periods of time. Demons ride him mercilessly in the guise of lower than low self-esteem. The way Sloan deals with his problems was very unique and really gave the book a fresh feel. Sloan is facing both physical and emotional...more
Cat
The cutting cords series is a good example of how you can fall in love with someone but how, over time, if the people involved want different things out of life and desire a different future, things can easily fall apart.

The series did a really good job of not trying to squeeze in too much too fast. Sloan and Cole meet in book 1 at a time in both their lives where things are out of their control and outside expectations are slowly destroying them. Through their relationship they find what they n...more
Adara
So, this review is actually on a re-read. I first read this story when it came out, when I was still very new to M/M, and before it was known that it would be the first book of a series. It was a standalone back when I first read it. I remember being happy with the story back then, and that is still true now.

Both main characters are damaged in unique ways and have issues to work through: Sloan with his cutting and self-worth/self-image issues, and Cole with his pending blindness and new-found i...more
Adara

Ayanna
Dec 28, 2012 Ayanna marked it as gave-up
I actually attempted this quite a long while ago, so I don't remember why I gave up. I suppose it's an indication of something, though, that I couldn't force myself to finish it...

Oh, wait. Some memories are vaguely trickling back. I think I thought it was just...overly melodramatic. It's as Sherlock said: "I'm used to mystery at one end of my cases. Both ends is too much work." Both of the characters just had so many problems and so much angsting on both ends that it got rather annoying. I thin...more
EllieNY
This is the second book I've read by Mickie Ashling. Her other is book is Horizons which is also excellent. This book has a very unusual hook in that it's about two young men, both dealing with significant physical or psychological problems (Sloan has significant body issues that lead him to self mutilate.) The only thing that persuaded me to read this book is how much I enjoyed Horizons. I don't know how or why this book works but it does - very much so. Both characters are completely likeable...more
Sunne
I have read this one while ago. It just blipped on my radar so my review is short.

It is a book that challenges you emotionally because it goes into very dark spaces. Sloan is a cutter. Cole is an ass - at least in the beginning. Until they find together and be good for each other they both have to go a long way.

All in all I liked the book very much. It was very well written and I only deduct the one star because Cole grated my nerves a bit too much.
Cutting Cords by Mickie B. Ashling was an ok read, in the authors last book I found the overwhelming emotional moments a little too heavy. While this was in a similar vein, it felt more balanced. Sloan and Cole are certainly characters you have to grow to like and at times I did find them hard work. But, there is something about the author’s style that keeps me coming back for another go.

Sandra Moreno
I really liked this book. I enjoyed the strong, intense, and very likeable characters, who each had their burdens and handled them in very different ways. This story dealt with some very serious issues and the author did a fantastic job being very informative and describing things in a way that kept you turning the page.
The road to discovery for these two men was definately paved with lots of setbacks but in the end love did prevail.
Chris
3.5 stars. Good m/m romance about two young men who end up as roommates in NYC because their dads were pro baseball teammates once upon a time. One guy is going blind but in denial (about more than just going blind *ahem*). The other is dealing (not so well) with crippling self-esteem issues. This story is told in alternating first- and third-person point-of-view, but I think it would've worked better if it had been entirely in third-person.
Snowtulip
I liked the character development and difficulties that Cole and Sloan each had to deal with as individuals. I learned a lot from their experiences. Why I didn't go with four stars is because I didn't like them together. Their relationship went from cold to hot (in terms of emotional development) really quickly. I think I needed to see the in between in order to embrace their relationship. I still enjoyed reading the story.
Lidia

I really enjoyed this book for both the plot and the characters as they are described. The author explores the hidden side of each character's most intimate and revealing the personality and character. Sloan is, despite her fears and problems, a good guy willing to give everything for the man he loves. Realistic, never predictable or ordinary, this book makes you cry and suffer, but also gives a lot of emotions.

Nichole (Dirty H)
Very sweet, satisfying ending but sort of frustrating to get there. It was an okay story, but the dialogue was really stilted. Some parts felt like they'd been copied and pasted from an informational brochure, and I don't know anyone who, when talking to someone, inserts that person's name into every sentence.
Some mild BDSM scenes - probably not anything that would turn anyone off. No D/s between the two leads.
Meggie
Wow even by re-reading this story I still believe it's amazing one, and will always be. With deep dramatic plot, real characters full of pain and problems...
Overall, the story was really deeply emotional. I really liked how everything developed, but truly disliked Max. Sloan and Cole were really sweet couple.
Cleo
I enjoyed the slow build up of romance (I'm a sucker for long drawn out romances) but felt that the author either ran out time and wrapped up things abruptly. My first book from this author and I will have to check out more. I gave it 3-stars because of the abruptness of the latter part of the book.
Pamela Craft Jenewein
Rainbow Books freebie - Well written with genuine characters. The premise was true, revealing a smooth read with each page. Sloan was a spoiled rich California boy, whereas Cole an angry man due to his developing disability. It’s a young love romance, but tastefully written.
ElaineY
The two stars are, again, a 'it's not the book, it's me' rating.

I couldn't take to Sloan and his psychological problems. Probably just this particular period in my life where I'm having to handle a few people with similar issues. I need something different.
Kristy Maitz
For me the book did not pull me in. Both main character had there own problems and a lot of words where said between them. Somehow it was really strange to see them together in the end. But I like that author gave us epilogue.
Deirdre
Finished it last night. I never knew a very much about cutting and learned alot. I loved this story. The flawed characters were able to work out their problems together---separately they were floundering and hurting
Grandmat
What great characters. No white hats, just two flawed, decant men struggling with their personal hells, and together finding resolutions and love. Complex and well plotted.
  • Broken (Broken #1)
  • Enlightened (Little Boy Lost, #1)
  • It Started with Brian
  • Alphabet Soup (Alphabet Soup #1, Russian Bear, #2)
  • Finders, Keepers (Tales from Rainbow Alley, #2)
  • Fall Into You
  • Deliver Us (Deliver Us, #1)
  • Another Way
  • Reverb
  • The Sound of Your Voice
  • Power Play
  • Bound To Please
  • The Charlie Factor (Beach Duo, #1)
  • Above the Dungeon (Dungeon #1)
  • Where the Allegheny Meets the Monongahela
  • Paper Planes
  • Marked Yours (Sentries, #1)
  • Call Me Sir (Sir, #1)
Mickie B. Ashling is the alter-ego of a multifaceted woman raised by a single mother who preferred reading over other forms of entertainment. She found a kindred spirit in her oldest child and encouraged her with a steady supply of dog-eared paperbacks. Romance was the preferred genre, and historical romances topped her favorites list.

By the time Mickie discovered her own talent for writing, real...more
More about Mickie B. Ashling...
Horizons (Horizons, #1) Taste (Horizons, #2) Impacted (Impacted, #1) Loving Edits (Basque, #1) Daddio (Horizons, #3)