Collected Works of William Wordsworth

Collected Works of William Wordsworth

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  983 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan...more
Published August 18th 2008 by BiblioLife (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Collected Works of William Wordsworth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Works of William Wordsworth

Asra Ghouse
William Wordsworth was greatly inspired by nature. No wonder his poems were the most beautiful of all times. He was a smart, shrewd kid. He learned quickly the importance and significance of early experiences. By his twenties he knew this truth and he developed his greatest works in the next ten years.
"As a poet, he was always at his best while struggling to become a whole person, to reconcile the sense of incoherence and disappointment forced upon him by time and circumstance with those intimat
Duckpondwithoutducks
Before I read this book, Daffodils was my favourite Wordsworth poem.
Now, after reading 900 pages of Wordsworth, Daffodils is still my favourite of his poems!
Though, now I have a second favourite. Here it is:

To A Butterfly
I've watched you now a full half-hour,
Self-poised upon that yellow flower;
And, little Butterfly! indeed
I know not if you sleep or feed.
How motionless! - not frozen seas
More motionless! and then
What joy awaits you, when the breeze
Hath found you out among the trees,
And calls yo...more
Lynda
"I wandered lonely as a cloud" was the first line of poetry that spoke to me personally. My first introduction to poetry were psalms: Bible and Shakespeare. Then I ran across this poem and it changed my reading life forever.
Alan
In the front of my book (it isn't this one, the one I had dates from 1970, but it was a 'works') I've put 'This horrible book belongs to Alan Beard', so I obviously didn't like it at the time (read for 'O' level). However I've changed my mind since...
Richard Epstein
The Old Sheep of the Lake District, Rumpole called him, and, as usual, Rumpole was right. There is great poetry here, salting an interminable field of twaddle.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Jan 05, 2014 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Who Must Read EVERYTHING by Wordsworth
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Good Reading: 100 Signficiant Books
I'm afraid I have to agree with this review on Goodreads: "There is great poetry here, salting an interminable field of twaddle." The great--well, it's so great it pulls the rating up to a three, "I liked it" and am glad I didn't miss it, and this is one of the great poets of the English language. In fact, Wordsworth wrote one of my favorite poems, "Composed Upon Westminster Bridge." It's short enough to quote in its entirety:

Earth has not anything to show more fair:
Dull would he be of soul who
Ellie McKee
I did not like the first poem in this anthology (Guilt and Sorrow) at all. It wouldn't have been too bad if it wasn't so tediously long, though. The poem proceeding Guilt and Sorrow (We Are Seven), however, I really liked. I could not bring myself to read 'The Idiot Boy' as it was just too long from the outset (I hadn't forgiven Wordsworth for wasting my time with 'Guilt and Sorrow' yet). 'To a Skylark' and 'To Sleep' were mildly enjoyable.
Mohamed
Wordsworth is the greatest of all the English Romantics ...He is notable especially for his lyricism and for his sensitive and simple style ... but he is not trivial at least when he is at his best in the greatest of his poems ...although he wrote a good deal of bad poetry ... yet he is still one of the most great and the most beautiful of all the poets of the English language
Amy
I don't much like poetry. And I know that is true, but I stubbornly insisted on finishing this nearly 700-page book, mostly for personal reasons. And I did enjoy coming across the poem that Polly gets trapped in in "The Eyre Affair."
Kevin Schuster
Occasionally the English of the 1800s was beyond me.
A charming little book with some of Wordsworth's best poetry. Highly recommended for any fan of the Romantics or Lakeland poets.
Shana
I wandered lonely as a cloud, Tintern Abbey, Resolution and Independence
Maryjane
Jun 17, 2011 Maryjane is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
absolutely brilliant especially his ode about immortality.
Wangdi Sherpa
Nov 04, 2010 Wangdi Sherpa is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
nope it is a good and favourite book of mine
Akshat Soni
its the life of william wordsworth
Matthew Malkin
Matthew Malkin marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Madison Kinney
Madison Kinney marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Mark Ó Congalaig
Mark Ó Congalaig marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
  • Selected Poetry and Prose
  • The Complete Works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • The Works of John Donne (Poetry Library)
  • Works of William Blake
  • The Poems of Robert Browning
  • The Works of Robert Burns
  • The Poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins
  • The Collected Poems
  • Collected Poems
  • Essay on Man and Other Poems
  • Poetry (Norton Critical Editions)
  • The Complete Poetry
  • Lord Byron: The Major Works
  • The Complete Poems
William Wordsworth was a major English romantic poet who, with Samuel Taylor Coleridge, helped launch the Romantic Age in English literature with their 1798 joint publication, Lyrical Ballads.

Wordsworth's masterpiece is generally considered to be The Prelude, an autobiographical poem of his early years which the poet revised and expanded a number of times. The work was posthumously titled and publ...more
More about William Wordsworth...
Lyrical Ballads The Major Works The Prelude Selected Poetry of William Wordsworth Ode: Intimations Of Immortality From Recollections Of Early Childhood

“Surprised by joy- impatient as the Wind
I turned to share the transport-- Oh! with whom
But thee, deep buried in the silent tomb,
That spot which no vicissitude can find?
Love, faithful love, recalled thee to my mind--
But how could I forget thee? Through what power,
Even for the least division of an hour,
Have I been so beguiled as to be blind
To my most grievous loss? -- That thought's return
Was the worst pang that sorrow ever bore,
Save one, one only, when I stood forlorn,
Knowing my heart's best treasure was no more;
That neither present time, nor years unborn
Could to my sight that heavenly face restore.”
10 likes
“Now, in this blank of things, a harmony,
Home-felt, and home-created,comes to heal
That grief for which the senses still supply
Fresh food; for only then, when memory
Is hushed, am I at rest. My Friends! restrain those busy cares that would allay my pain;
Oh! Leave me to myself, nor let me feel
The officious touch that makes me droop again.”
3 likes