Start by marking “Hand Me Another Brick” as Want to Read:
Hand Me Another Brick

Hand Me Another Brick

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Do others look to you for leadership? Do you face a major task or shoulder heavy responsibilities? Do you want to take your leadership skills to a higher level?

When Nehemiah confronted the task of rebuilding Jerusalem's wall, he was heartbroken by the damage he saw and nearly overwhelmed by the task that lay before him. Yet through the application of timeless leadership pr
Published December 1st 1998 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published June 26th 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Hand Me Another Brick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand Me Another Brick

Jason
This book took me quite some time to get through. It is a deep dive into the book of Nehemiah through the lens of leadership. It discusses the qualities and perspectives that can enable you to be a better leader by reviewing each of the actions, inactions, reactions, prayers and petitions that Nehemiah made. There is a lot of stuff here.
I know for me, after reading this, it is more about how to apply some of these principles into my life. For that though, the particular copy I had included a stu
Melissa AuClair
I'm biased cause I've never read a bad Charles R. Swindoll book.

But it really was good. With the exception of some references to leaders in large organizations, the book applies to everyone- because we all lead- whether we lead our children or the people in our sphere of influence at the office, the committee or the mentoring group.

Plus, the story of Nehemiah is SO good and I don't hear a lot of teaching on the life lessons in this Bible book- it was an encouraging and helpful read.
Elizabeth
I was caught off guard by the 1980s cover for this book: under it lies such a gem for ministry!! Swindoll demonstrates leadership principles clearly from the story of Nehemiah. Another suitable title for this book would be "The Praying Leader", Swindoll makes also a very strong case for the spiritual life of leaders (more than other leadership books I've read or heard about). Awesome for anyone (not just pastors: business men, professors, moms, student club leaders, you name it).
Ben

An excellent volume on leadership based upon the book of Nehemiah. Swindoll has managed to write in a way that is readily understandable without sacrificing depth (a rare talent in my experience). Definitely a book I would recommend!
Diana
Muy bueno, lo leí en 2 días y lo volveré a leer, aprendí mucho, realmente no veía de esa manera la vida de Nehemías, es un gran ejemplo de vida.
Lo recomiendo mucho!
Kathy
OUTSTANDING - a must read at least once a year!!
Jerry Simmons
This book by Charles Swindoll is an in-depth study of the book of Nehemiah. Swindoll begins the book with the background and overview of Nehemiah’s work in rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem. He follows Nehemiah’s three different roles: Cup bearer, builder and governor.
Swindoll considers the prayer life of the cup bearer. He digs deep into the story to uncover the powerful principles that Nehemiah lived by as he waited and prayed for Jerusalem. Did you know that he waited and prayed for four mont
Gerald Thomson
Swindoll does a nice job of intertwining the story of Nehemiah and contemporary leadership skills, helping both the leader and those who follow those leaders. There is also wonderful insight into how to approach problems and opposition, using Nehemiah as an example of prayer and patience. The section about praying for those in leadership over you is very good, helping you to focus on what you can control and leaving to God what only He can change.
Peter
One of the best books on leadership.
Susie
I enjoyed this book so much that I took notes on each chapter as I was reading it. Swindoll systematically identifies the qualities of a good leader and also the practical steps leaders can follow to deal with discouragement, promotions, the unknowns, passivity, and other problems as he follows the story of Nehemiah chronologically. Prayer, action, obedience, and other good qualities are encouraged, and I'll definitely be re-reading my notes often.
Jennifer Parker
I thought this book was really good. I enjoyed getting to read about the author's example of Nehemiah and how Nehemiah, with God's help, became a leader. Also I found interesting the different aspects of leadership Nehemiah had done described in this book. If you are looking for some guidance on leadership, or want to gain knowledge on leadership, check this book out.
Bill
I first read this back in 1989 or so, a copy lent to me by a friend. Several years ago, I saw this paperback version and picked it up to add to my library. I have enjoyed and been challenged once again by Swindoll's study of leadership from the life of Nehemiah, and I would predict this is a volume I will revisit once again. I highly recommend it as a "good read."
Matthew
I'd heard about this book forever, but only recently began to read it for myself. It is essentially a commentary on Nehemiah, but it is much to practical to be just that. It is a leadership book filled with all kinds of helpful advice to those who lead companies, churches, and families. Great read!!
Kris
Dec 03, 2008 Kris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kris by: my dad
Shelves: spirituality
The first book of spirituality I ever read. My dad recommended this after making a decision to follow Jesus as a 16 year old. Chuck Swindoll won me over as a gifted pastor communicating the difficulty in following Jesus and the hope for success.
Christina
Excellent book on servant leadership based on the book of Nememiah. I read this several years ago and learned A LOT! I'm reading it again now with my small group and learning even more. I think this is a must-read for any Christian in leadership.
Rebekah
Recommended to me as one of the best leadership books ever written. I don't know if it reached that status for me, but I really enjoyed it and loved that he took the leadership skills/ideas straight from the Bible.
Seth Pierce
A nice little companion book to the book of Nehemiah. Not the most scholarly, and a few cliches given the age of th book, but some good timeless principals and ideas that will preach well.
Brandon
Read this in preparation for a missions class I taught in the book of Nehemiah. Simple principles of leadership from the life of Nehemiah are pointed out. Nothing heavy or deep.
Samuel
If u need an encouragement to press on, this book will inspire and assure u that God can and will overcome the impossible when he calls n gives u the task to complete
Pam Hylbert-eder
I went through this book with the sermon series. A fantastic and Insightful study for those in leadership positions or possibly moving towards leadership.
Tim
Swindoll is the man, although the last chapter seems out of place.

Tuck away that dude in the middle of the book, and it's a masterpiece.
Dan
Excellent book using a biblical example of affective leadership and how to motive yourselt and others to work together for the Kingdom.
Philip Bartuska
Great book for men. A walk through of the life of Nehemiah and the leader that all men are called to be.
Bro
Super! I love this book and the sermon series. It is a real page turner.
Vicky
Really good look at what we are called to as leaders.
Bill Groce
study of Nehemiah. Classic Swindoll exposition!!
Darrell
A wonderful look into what makes a great leader.
Matthew
great book on practical leadership qualities
Opa
All his books are great.
  • Kingdoms in Conflict
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • The Name
  • Spiritual Leadership
  • The Mystery of the Holy Spirit
  • The Church at the End of the Twentieth Century: Including The Church Before the Watching World
  • Lectures on Revival
Charles Swindoll has devoted over four decades to two passions: an unwavering commitment to the practical communication and application of God's Word, and an untiring devotion to seeing lives transformed by God's grace. Chuck graduated magna cum laude from Dallas Theological Seminary and has since been honored with four doctorates. For his teaching on Insight for Living, he has received the Progra ...more
More about Charles R. Swindoll...
The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living It Is Another. David: A Man of Passion and Destiny (Great Lives from God's Word, #1) Improving Your Serve: The Art of Unselfish Living Esther: A Woman of Strength & Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 2) Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6)