Start by marking “Pull: The Power of the Semantic Web to Transform Your Business” as Want to Read:
Pull: The Power of the Semantic Web to Transform Your Business

Pull: The Power of the Semantic Web to Transform Your Business

Pull: The Power of the Semantic Web to Transform Your Business by David Siegel. Portfolio,2009
Published December 31st 2009 by Portfolio Hardcover (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Pull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pull

Preston Lee
May 27, 2010 Preston Lee rated it liked it
Disclosure: I am a computer scientist, and semantic web concepts are nothing new to me. They began to emerge in academia more than a decade ago, but have yet to gain wide-scale adoption for reasons I will not go into here. It was very clear within the first few chapters that my own idyllic vision of the semantic future departs somewhat from Siegel's predictions. My review is thus significantly skewed.

In terms of visioneering, this is a 5-star presentation. In "Pull: The Power of the Semantic Web
Chinarut Ruangchotvit
Jul 25, 2011 Chinarut Ruangchotvit rated it it was amazing
I consider myself a dancer of the world - allowing my aspiration to shift at every moment yet always seeking structures for workability.

Pull is the kind of book that makes you realize one is a fluid set of outcomes and that everything around you has the opportunity to align with exactly where you are right now and fulfill on exactly what you want.

The book explains the semantic web in "plain English" - not technical jargon many of you may have seen in other works (which to a technologist such as
Uwe Hook
May 15, 2010 Uwe Hook rated it it was amazing
The bible of the Semantic Web and a good introduction to VRM
Phillip
May 25, 2010 Phillip rated it it was amazing
Best explanation of why the semantic web matters and why it will change our lives I've read.
Fred Zimny
May 16, 2010 Fred Zimny rated it really liked it
His definition of the Semantic Web is a broad one. If it furthers the understanding of data by machine (“semantic”) and it links in and out (“web”), it’s part of the semantic web. Ok, for the “semantic” part, Siegel also adds a more utopian requirement that “it needs to be tagged in a royalty-free format, governed by a nonprofit organization, that all software programs can understand”.

Pull does an impressive job of pulling together a number of trends around one common wish. It truly is the book
Paul
Feb 24, 2010 Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: semantic-web
Great book discussing the vision of the semantic web. The focus of this book is NOT on the technology of semantic web (hardly even touches W3C stack). The focus is on the idea of open data standards and how standardizing metadata communication will change the Internet as we know it. Great overviews of XBRL and other standardization efforts, as well as a ton of ideas for entrepreneurs. Highly recommend to IT managers as well as developers looking to understand some of the hype around the "semanti ...more
Fabricio
Mar 17, 2012 Fabricio rated it really liked it
Shelves: books, have
This is a great book. I think it's appropriate for anyone with some connection with technology.
The ideas are very easy to grasp. You can even say that some of them are obvious. But, the way the author explains the idea of Semantic Web makes the line between scifi and reality seem thinner.

He explains in much details many steps on were and how the web can be more smart and help everyday life. E-commerce, law, real state, medicine and many other areas are very well exploited in a very simple langua
Steven
Jul 05, 2010 Steven rated it liked it
Kind of an interesting book.

Siegel puts a lot of faith in standards, but seems to grossly underestimate the amount of time it takes to develop them.

He also seems to feel standards will somehow make businesses want to cooperate with each other and with customers.

There are some interesting ideas in here, though. His main point, that we need some kind of central repository for our online life, is a good one, although he doesn't seem very concerned about the security implications of something like t
Kristian Norling
Jul 29, 2010 Kristian Norling rated it it was amazing
Great vision for the use of semantic technologies in business and public sector, a vision that is quite possibly can happen really soon. I've read a few books on semantic tech, but they were all either too technical or too academic,with no valuable, useful real-life applications. This books has real examples with projections for future use of the technology and how to adapt to what is coming. This book is highly recommended!
John Orman
Apr 19, 2013 John Orman rated it really liked it
Using this semantic web requires making a fundamental transition from pushing information to pulling, thinking and collaborating in a different fashion from Web 1.0 and 2.0.

Customers pull all info toward them about products and services, so that advice is more useful and reusable.

The End of Push--what a concept!
Rick Scheu
Mar 16, 2010 Rick Scheu rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-book-shelf
Gary Lang
Aug 06, 2011 Gary Lang rated it it was amazing
Lots of great examples and ideas for using Ontologies for applications involving Business Intelligence and sensor-based data. The goal is to create a semantic-focused Internet of Things. A great book by an ex-neighbor of mine.
Melih
Nov 23, 2011 Melih rated it it was ok
Good ideas, but about 100 pages too long.

Also it's much more of an aggregation of thoughts as opposed to anything new or groundbreaking.
Maciej Janiec
Feb 08, 2011 Maciej Janiec rated it liked it
Good introduction to semantic web, but a little too shallow.
Timo
Mar 10, 2014 Timo rated it did not like it
Waste of paper
John
Oct 25, 2010 John rated it liked it
Great ideas, but the author glosses over or simply ignores the larger social and economic consequences of the world he envisions.
Mohammed Ali Ali
This books describes how the Semantic Web will change the world in the near future. Very exciting :)
Joe Raimondo
Jul 30, 2013 Joe Raimondo rated it really liked it
Siegel does his usual exhaustive and imaginative deep dive into "the next big thing." Definitely a good OK intro to semantic web and Internet of things.
Linda Lillard
Nov 05, 2012 Linda Lillard rated it really liked it
Very interesting and intriguing!
Bob
Oct 24, 2010 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reads like a sci-fi novel, but happens to be really practical at the same time. I'm not sure if I agree with all of the predictions made by Siegel, but I am enjoying the book.
Luis Cipriani
Luis Cipriani rated it did not like it
Jan 22, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2011
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2014
Robb
Robb rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Kim Pierce
Kim Pierce rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Lars
Lars rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Elouise
Elouise rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2011
Rino Kadijk
Rino Kadijk rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
May 28, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Programming the Semantic Web
  • Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist: Effective Modeling in RDFS and OWL
  • Web Standards Solutions: The Markup and Style Handbook (Pioneering Series)
  • The Social Media Bible: Tactics, Tools, and Strategies for Business Success
  • Linux Pocket Guide
  • The Zen of CSS Design: Visual Enlightenment for the Web
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • The Web Designer's Idea Book: The Ultimate Guide To Themes, Trends & Styles In Website Design
  • Fabricated: The New World of 3D Printing
  • Prioritizing Web Usability
  • Macrowikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World
  • Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web
  • Spreadable Media: Creating Value and Meaning in a Networked Culture (Postmillennial Pop)
  • Introducing HTML5
  • Twitterville: How Businesses Can Thrive in the New Global Neighborhoods
  • More About Software Requirements: Thorny Issues and Practical Advice (Developer Best Practices)
  • Land the Tech Job You Love