Start by marking “Gods in Darkness: The Complete Novels of Kane” as Want to Read:
Gods in Darkness: The Complete Novels of Kane

Gods in Darkness: The Complete Novels of Kane (Kane #2, 5 & 7)

Kane An immortal, cursed to wander the Earth until he is destroyed by the violence that he himself has created. A warrior and statesman: As comfortable in the shadowy halls of courtly intrigue as he is on the bloody battlefields where those intrigue's inevitably play themselves out. Karl Edward Wagner's complex and compelling character of Kane redefines the boundaries of h ...more
Published May 1st 2002 by Night Shade Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Gods in Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gods in Darkness

Dan Schwent
Feb 08, 2011 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: pulp fantasy fans
Shelves: pulp
If you have a craving for pulp style fantasy, look no further. Gods in Darkness is a good set of stories, a delightful blend of Howard and Moorcock, and Kane is what would happen if Conan and Elric were able to mate successfully.

Later:
Kane's a red haired immortal barbarian, cast out of a garden paradise-prison by a mad god, destined to wander the earth until he dies by violence.

I'll review Bloodstone since it's the one I remember the most:
The story starts out with a bang. Kane's a member of a ga
Johnny Atomic
Jul 25, 2011 Johnny Atomic rated it it was amazing
For those who haven't tried it yet.

The reviews on this list are more than sufficient to let you know that, if dark fantasy is your thing, Wagner's Kane comes highly recommended.

But some of us put off reading Wagner, not because of the books themselves, but (ironically) by the glowing praise for them. For example, "Anti-Hero" was pretty much coined for the character of Kane because there was just no other word to describe a story where the villain is actually the protagonist. These days, any broo
Steven
Jun 27, 2008 Steven rated it really liked it
Karl Wagner set out to overturn the cliches of sword and sorcery fiction, with an intellectual anti-hero who didn't always get the girl, whose plans did not always work out. Virtue does not always prevail, nor is vice inevitably punished. Wagner was a great talent and one hopes his Kane fiction will see a wider audience.
Irene
Dec 21, 2007 Irene rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Retro fantasy nerds
My dad loves this cheesy fantasy warrior stuff and god help me so do I.
Rob
Apr 15, 2009 Rob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, definitive
Wagner's Kane is a hero worth knowing, if only for how different he is from what we've come to expect from a mighty-thewed warrior. Cunning, cynical, power-mad, and ferocious, Kane defies all stereotypes, all categories. Which is to say, of course, that he has a reality about him missing from many heroes, allowances being made for sorcery working, history being different than we learned in grade school, etc.

One can ask one's self, "were I in Kane's position, would I not become like Kane." I fea
J
Jul 27, 2009 J rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Three novels of heroic fantasy featuring Kane the immortal force of chaos and destruction. Described by his creator as one "who could master any situation intellectually, or rip heads off if push came to shove". You find yourself rooting for him anyway. Awesome battle scenes, cyclopean monsters and court intrigue make Wagner good reading.
Otto
Dec 20, 2013 Otto rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Karl Edward Wagner is one of the fantasy genres unjustly forgotten giants (much of the fault lies with his publisher that puts out the expensive limited editions). As a horror author and anthology editor so has his influence on fantasy as we know it was unimaginable. The title of the book comes from one of his many dark poems. He coined the term "dark fantasy" so we have a lot to thank him for . But his greatest creation was his hero-villain ( Wagner's term , he disliked the term "anti- hero" ) ...more
Jay
Dec 28, 2012 Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
If you don't know of Kane, but do know about sword-and-sorcery, imagine Conan with even more brains and a talent for magic, or Elric with more muscles and less mopeyness. That's the Kane of Karl Edward Wagner, not to be confused with the Kane of Mars of Michael Moorcock.

The three novels in this omnibus edition,
Bloodstone by Karl Edward Wagner
Bloodstone,
Dark Crusade by Karl Edward Wagner
Dark Crusade, and
Darkness Weaves by Karl Edward Wagner
Darkness Weaves
all exist in stand-alone editions. Read their reviews elsewhere.

The version of Darkness Weaves in this edition has the "corrected text,"
Daniel
Oct 31, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Sword & Sorcery and Dark fantasy are my favorite genre, and I am a fan of Robert E. Howard. I have often heard, that Karl Edward Wagner's character Kane, is on par with Howard's Conan, so the Kane chronicles have always been on my reading list. My first exposure to Karl Edward Wagner's Kane Chronicles, was a short story called "Undertow". Amazed at how good it is, I purchased Gods in Darkness, and Midnight Sun.

Gods in Darkness, is s collection of 3 novels about Kane. Once I started reading
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 26, 2009 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
The lower grade is not aimed at the writing in these stories (books). I just found these stories too dark for me. Even the idea of the character's implied idenity is a little creepy for me. I feel the same way about books, stories, and movies that use (for example) Gabriel as the name of a fallen or evil being, as it's a name used in the Bible as an Angel of God.

To some this objection will of course carry no weighht and that is of course fine. Kane is a very dark character, a killer sometimes in
David Hayden
Aug 26, 2010 David Hayden rated it it was amazing
If you like anti-heroes and the idea of gothic horror swords & sorcery appeals to you, then I cannot recommend this collection more. These novels are among my absolute favorites. Get them. Read them. Be amazed.
Brand Hilton
Sep 28, 2014 Brand Hilton rated it really liked it
I love Wagner's short stories, but I just don't feel he ever mastered the novel. They feel like short stories that are being drawn out to fill more pages.
Charles
Jul 24, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Contains Bloodstone, Dark Crusade, and Darkness Weaves. I've commented individually on those books elsewhere in my list.
Pearce Hansen
Pearce Hansen rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2012
Gh
Gh rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2010
Mooda
Mooda rated it really liked it
May 21, 2012
Dodge Winston
Dodge Winston rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2012
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2012
Alex Jahnke
Alex Jahnke rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2009
Ηλίας Τσιάρας
Ηλίας Τσιάρας rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2013
Michael de Plater
Michael de Plater rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2012
Berin Kinsman
Berin Kinsman rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Jack LesCamela
Jack LesCamela rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2009
Joe Pettit Jr.
Joe Pettit Jr. rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2011
Robert Walsh
Robert Walsh rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Arnd Empting
Arnd Empting rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2013
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2008
Phil
Phil rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2011
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Jirel of Joiry
  • Dragon & Issola (Vlad Taltos, #8-9)
  • The Three of Swords (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #1-3)
  • The End of the Story
  • Black Seas of Infinity: The Best of H.P. Lovecraft
  • Flashing Swords! #4: Barbarians and Black Magicians
  • Wolf of the Steppes: The Complete Cossack Adventures, Volume One
  • Seven Princes (Books of the Shaper, #1)
  • Elak of Atlantis
  • The Bones of the Old Ones (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand #2)
  • Under the Moons of Mars: New Adventures on Barsoom
  • Imaro
  • Tales of the Dying Earth
  • Counterfeit Unrealities
  • Zimiamvia: A Trilogy
Karl Edward Wagner (12 December 1945 – 13 October 1994) was an American writer, editor and publisher of horror, science fiction, and heroic fantasy, who was born in Knoxville, Tennessee and originally trained as a psychiatrist. His disillusionment with the medical profession can be seen in the stories "The Fourth Seal" and "Into Whose Hands". He described his world view as nihilistic, anarchistic ...more
More about Karl Edward Wagner...

Kane (6 books)