Start by marking “Midnight Sun: The Complete Stories of Kane” as Want to Read:
Midnight Sun: The Complete Stories of Kane

Midnight Sun: The Complete Stories of Kane (Kane)

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Midnight Sun is the companion volume to Gods in Darkness, and collects all of the Kane short stories and poetry. The Complete Stories of Kane. Table of Contents: Death Angel's Shadow (Poem) Undertow Two Suns Setting The Dark Muse Sing a Last Song of Valdese Misericorde Lynortis Reprise Raven's Eyrie In the Lair of Yslsl Reflections for the Winter of My Soul Cold Light Mira ...more
Published August 1st 2003 by Night Shade Books

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienMagician by Raymond E. FeistLegend by David Gemmell
Best Heroic Fantasy
45th out of 442 books — 653 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Best Fantasy Series, Trilogies, and Duologies
481st out of 1,646 books — 6,979 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
Karl Edward Wagner was many things: originally trained as a psychiatrist (a profession he ended up rejecting), a longtime editor of the influential Year's Best Horror and Fantasy series, a poet, a writer of dark horror, an alcoholic (it eventually killed him), and - perhaps most famously - the author of a series of odd stories and novels featuring the immortal Kane. this iconic character is widely considered to be the most successful of all the Conan-esque creations to follow in Conan's footstep ...more
Dan Schwent
Mar 29, 2008 Dan Schwent rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pulp fantasy fans
Shelves: pulp
Short stories featuring a sorcerous barbarian who happens to have his origins near the beginning of the Bible. What's not to like?

The only drawback of my consumtion of the Kane novels and short stories is now there aren't any more. It's a shame Karl Edward Wagner died young. I'd trade all the Tolkien ripoff fantasy on the racks for a few more Kane stories.
Rob
The companion to Gods in Darkness, or perhaps is it the other way around. I actually find these short stories even more compelling than the novels. By all means, read both, but if you cannot, read this.

As others have noted, it's shame we didn't have Wagner with us longer, the same as Robert E. Howard. Maybe these two burned too brightly. Of them both, I would say the Kane tales have far more philosophical 'meat' to them—not that that makes them any less rip-roaring when Wagner wants them to be.
Phil
This volume is packed with excellent sword & sorcery yarns in the tradition of Robert E. Howard and Michael Moorcock. The Kane short stories are even better than the novels (collected in another Night Shade Books companion volume).

I appreciated the inclusion of the modern-day horror Kane stories. They're quite different from the "barbarian fantasy" tales, and the transition from those to the Clive Barker-style stories was a bit abrupt, but Kane's presence just somehow works. Karl Edward Wagn
Otto Granath
Meet Kane. Don't look him in the eyes.

Kane is immortal , cursed to wander the world until he is destroyed by the violence he himself has created . A warrior and sorcerer, equally comfortable in the shadow filled the halls of courtly intrigue as on the bloody battlefield where those intrigues inevitably play themselves out. For the first time gather all the stories about his dark adventure into one volume.

"Law is the jailer of man's natural wish;
Order, Cold letters of all that is free.
Your civila
Daniel
Midnight Sun is a collection of ALL the short stories of Kane by Karl Edward Wagner.

Kane, the double of the Biblical Cain. Under Wagner's recreation, Kane is an immortal villain who, after rebelled against his creator and the murdering of his brother. Was cursed to live forever and wander the earth, until the day when the violence he first introduced into the world destroys him.

Kane, is definitely one of the most memorable characters in heroic fantasy. Under Wagner's pen, the character of Kane
James
it took a couple of years before I could get my hands on a affordable copy, ($150), and worth every penny. I have most of the stories in paperback, but a few have been only published in magazine format and are long lost. my Wagner collection is complete.
Art
I'm not sure if this was the exact book I read, but I remember ages ago a friend lending me a tattered book of Kane stories by Wagner. They were fun to read. Very visceral and satisfying in a "Let's kick some ass" kind of way.

I'd like to get a copy of this!
Lazycat1966
This guy is much better than Conan and all those. American Pulp Fiction at its finest. It helps that I knew (sadly now deceased) the author (friend of a friend)
Charles
The Kane stories are just wonderful tales. I've read most of these in other formats, but it's nice to have the complete collection available.
Jamie
Great set of stories. Loved them as a teenager. Adult read, not as good as the logic holes loomed.
Brand Hilton
These stories fascinated me as a kid and they're just as fascinating now.
Tacorrific
Tacorrific marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Ck Sanchez
Ck Sanchez marked it as to-read
Dana Hampton
Dana Hampton marked it as to-read
Boris
Boris marked it as to-read
Ahmed Suliman
Ahmed Suliman marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
John
John added it
Nov 07, 2014
gaminette
gaminette marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Franz
Franz marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Tim Somheil
Tim Somheil marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Mae Gong
Mae Gong marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
  • Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery
  • The Best of Kage Baker
  • The Complete Stories, Vol. 1: Final Reckonings
  • The Throne of Bones
  • The Elric Saga Part II (Elric Saga, #4-6)
  • The Walrus And The Warwolf
  • The Jack Vance Treasury
  • Turning Points (Thieves' World, 2nd Series, #2)
  • Swords in the Mist (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #3)
  • A Road of Blood and Slaughter
  • Imaro
Karl Edward Wagner (12 December 1945 – 13 October 1994) was an American writer, editor and publisher of horror, science fiction, and heroic fantasy, who was born in Knoxville, Tennessee and originally trained as a psychiatrist. His disillusionment with the medical profession can be seen in the stories "The Fourth Seal" and "Into Whose Hands". He described his world view as nihilistic, anarchistic ...more
More about Karl Edward Wagner...
Conan: Road of Kings Darkness Weaves Bloodstone Dark Crusade Death Angel's Shadow