Start by marking “Oh, Daddy!” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  408 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews

Daddies . . . They can be funny and lovable and really, really silly.

Oh, Daddy!

The acclaimed author of "Dinosaur vs. Bedtime" delivers a sweetly funny story about daddies and their kids and how much they depend on each other. Perfect for Father's Day. Full color.
Published April 27th 2010 by Balzer + Bray (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Oh, Daddy!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh, Daddy!

Arapahoe Libraries
May 28, 2010 Arapahoe Libraries rated it really liked it
Perfect for Father's Day or any time. If only parenting were always this easy!
Tasha
May 12, 2010 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Told from the point of view of a very busy little boy, this book highlights the antics his father with undergo to get his son moving along. In order to get him dressed, his father puts underwear on his head and asks if that is right. Climbing in the car window, gets him to get into the car quickly. Juggling carrots leads to the boy eating them eagerly. This is inspiration for parents, especially fathers, to get silly to get things done.

This positive and silly parenting style is a pleasure to rea
Dolly
Oct 07, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We recently saw Bob Shea at the National Book Festival at the National Mall in Washington DC. He's a very interesting and down-to-earth dad who writes about what he knows and experiences through being a parent. After the event, we decided to borrow more of his books from our local library.

In this story, a dad uses humor and silliness to keep his little one focused and on track. Instead of nagging the little boy to get dressed, get in the car, eat food properly, etc., the hippo dad makes 'mistak
Jess Brown
This book is absolutely adorable, and perfect for preschoolers who will appreciate all of its silliness! In Oh, Daddy!, the father busies himself doing all the wrong things--he can't eat lunch right, can't water the flowers right, and can't give hugs the right way. He needs a lot of help from the child. When the father does something silly (like putting underwear on his head) he asks, "Is this how you (get dressed)?" And the child replies, "Oh, Daddy!" This book is sure to stir up some giggles a ...more
Susan
Mar 02, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I'm a big fan of Bob Shea, but his books don't always go over so great at storytime. I've read both New Socks and Big Plans, and I get the same sort of looks - just kind of stares, really. But this book I think would appeal to all! It's so silly. Plus we've tested it out, and it really works! Bonus: we have also added the phrase "easy peasy, mac and cheesy" to our family vocabulary.
Karen
Jan 14, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
This book is an oh-so-adorable reminder that parenting, while very serious work, can sometimes be fun.

I happen to know that Bob Shea draws one shape -- the jellybean --but he does it so very well.

Rochelle
Jun 27, 2010 Rochelle rated it really liked it
silly and cute!
Zoey
Jan 05, 2017 Zoey rated it it was amazing
very lovely!
Caitlin
Aug 14, 2014 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Adorable father-kid book perfect for preschoolers and their daddies. (Mommies, too)
Five stars for the dad that is secretly genius, plus the disparity between words and pictures that will get little one's brains working.

Example: "In the morning, when I'm busy getting dressed..." Has the little hippo, in underpants, watching television.

I also consider it the most concise parenting book I've ever read. Here's how to get your easily distracted kid (raising hand) to cooperate in a fun way.
Samantha
A silly daddy story in which a Dad Hippo asks his sons if he's performing everyday tasks correctly. A funny read aloud with truly ridiculous scenarios (i.e. getting in the car via the window rather than the door).

Mixed media artwork combined digitally gives readers many details to pour over as this is the kind of book that deserves many revisits!

Great read aloud, especially for a dad or family-themed event.
Malika Bourne
Aug 27, 2011 Malika Bourne rated it really liked it
The bright colored illustraions are appealing to my grandchilren. I read Oh, Daddy to my six month old and 5 year old grandchildren. The book is short and sweet enough to hold the baby's limited attention. The five year old enjoyed relating her own daddy's endearing silliness to the daddy in the book.
Mary
The kids really enjoyed this in storytime today. A great story about daddies, and how little kids have to "show" them how to do things right. Not sure the kids picked up on the reality of how daddy was actually getting his child to do something by pretending to do it wrong, but I don't think that hindered their enjoyment at all. The teacher also really loved it.
Vicki
Oct 17, 2013 Vicki rated it really liked it
Cute, cute, cute! Wonderful illustrations with simplistic color, show how a silly dad teaches his child how to do things right by doing them wrong. Reminds me a smidgen of the Berenstain Bears book, The Bike Lesson. The children in story time sat enthralled during this book. Love to see a book about a dad and child.
Tdavis
Mar 02, 2011 Tdavis rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Two - Preschool
This is a great narrative story as the child hippo shows daddy hippo the correct sequences. A great silly story illustrated with supple lines and soft colors set against lots of white space. Go Daddies!

Early Literacy Skills:

Narrative Skills
Phonological Awareness
Print Awareness
Print Motivation
Ellias
Jul 23, 2013 Ellias rated it really liked it
Mommy, Daddy, and I all really like this book and think it's funny. I'm sure I'll be just as helpful to my daddy someday. I'm already learning how to help him with "big hugs." And there is a frog I can make my frog face at, so that's cool.
The Library Lady
Aug 16, 2010 The Library Lady rated it liked it
Not crazy about Shea's art style--the blue hippos are somehow jarring. But the "dad is a doofus, I'm the smart one" will appeal to all the kids soon to see the same sort of thing in most kids cartoons.
Natalie Haskins
Mar 25, 2013 Natalie Haskins rated it it was amazing
A fun and easy book for early literacy skills. I read this to some of my students who were kindergarteners and they got a kick out of it. Everyone's favorite seemed to be when the dads butt was hanging outside of the car. It shows that grown ups like to act funny and silly too, just like kids do.
Tina
Aug 09, 2010 Tina rated it really liked it
What an enjoyable, bright, bouncy picture book! This book gives Dad chances to act incredibly funny, and to ask a lot of questions in funny voices too! The lucky listener also develops storytelling skills by saying the way things should go.

SPOILER ALERT! Lots of laughs and hugging to come!
Heidi-Marie
I'm not sure if my preschool crowd will pick up on the "reverse psychology" occurring here. But I think they'd enjoy the child teaching the dad how to do things. Good to have on hand in my Father's Day theme in case I need a filler.
Marielle
Sep 13, 2010 Marielle rated it it was amazing
This book was adorable. It's a picture book, and when I looked through it at the library, I knew my little girl would love it ... and she did. She laughed her deep, belly laugh through the entire book, and wanted me to read it to her everyday.
Christine Turner
Dec 16, 2010 Christine Turner rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler-friendly
A young hippopotamus shows his father the right way to do things, such as getting dressed, watering the flowers, and especially giving big hugs. www.hcpl.net

Sweet book that works well for storytime.
Linda
Jan 25, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Bob Shea has great illustrations and a great sense of humor. I like the backwardness of Daddy asking little hippo how to do things so that he will do them. manipulation is a parent's best friend sometimes...
Kid
Mar 12, 2012 Kid rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool, toddler
Funny book about a dad pretending to need help getting dressed, getting into the car, etc. Miles loved it.
Kate Hastings
May 09, 2010 Kate Hastings rated it liked it
Shelves: toddlers
Nice short book for Father's Day storytime. (I also like the parenting strategy highlighted... wish I had thought of that!)
Nicole
Feb 10, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Great book for storytime with the attitude and play just so natural in the dialog between the child and dad. Love Bob Shea!
Susan
Mar 03, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Literacy skills:

Narrative skills-Refrains in stories help engage a child in a story which helps build narrative skills.
Tanya
Feb 05, 2013 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderful daddy-child book. The daddy does silly things to get his child to complete various tasks. A good teaching tool for parents, too (or so I've discovered for us!!).
Miss M
Jul 03, 2013 Miss M rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Silly book about a Daddy who is always doing crazy things like getting dressed the wrong way and the child has to show him the right way to do it. Quirky, cute illustrations.
Rebecca
Jul 22, 2010 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preschool
Love Bob Shea's graphic-design-y illustrations and clever concepts. This Daddy knows how to use pretend ignorance as a motivator!
Matthew
Dec 05, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing
My son and I love this book. He laughs out loud when I read it to him. And I enjoy him showing my how to properly give a big hug at the end.
  • Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy
  • Higher! Higher!
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
  • Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly!
  • Pouch!
  • Little Chicken's Big Day
  • If You're A Monster And You Know It
  • Brownie & Pearl Step Out
  • Dancing Feet!
Bob Shea has written and illustrated over a dozen picture books including the popular Dinosaur vs. Bedtime and the cult favorite Big Plans illustrated by Lane Smith.

His characters and animations have appeared on Nick Jr, Playhouse Disney and PBS Kids.

Bob spends his days writing, drawing and having “conversations” with NPR.
More about Bob Shea...