Start by marking “Princess Says Goodnight” as Want to Read:
Princess Says Goodnight

Princess Says Goodnight

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When a little girl pretends she's a real princess, her imagination soars and her bedtime routine is transformed into a majestic affair. While practicing curtsies on her way to bed, she gets the royal treatment: chocolate cream éclairs, glass slippers, ladies-in-waiting, a tiara—even a bubble bath with a special fluffy towel to dry her toes. Being a princess is so much fun! ...more
Published May 4th 2010 by HarperCollins (first published May 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Princess Says Goodnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess Says Goodnight

Kathryn
Cute rhyming text about a little girl who imagines she is a princess on her way to bed. Girly-girls will definitely appreciate all the princess-y aspects of bedtime, from wishing on a star from her tower window to wearing a silky lacy bathrobe with feathers to daddy checking under the mattress for a pea or other lumps ;-) David Small's watercolors are soft and gently humorous--perfect for bedtime.
Fats
In this charming picturebook-in-verse, a little girl pretends she is a princess and imagines the things a princess would do before she goes to bed. Does a princess practice her curtsies down the hall? Does she get a frothy glass of milk with chocolate cream eclairs? Naomi Howland’s short, rhyming verses are brimming with descriptive words that would appeal to children’s vivid imagination. There is a playful rhythm to these lines that would make little girls think of themselves as princesses them ...more
Leslie
Princess Says Goodnight imagines how it must look for a princess would say goodnight aka go to bed, even while teh reader must imagine what actions correlate to the little girl’s saying goodnight.

Princess Says Goodnight is playful, but quiet, not eye-popping candy-colored or sparkly energy. The girl is vibrant sure, but the wash of colors and movement is softened. The text is rhythmic, the words are lulling. It is a good bedtime book. And one that is good for a sibling who likes to have their sp
Layla & Rachel
You should probably know something about us. We read a lot of princess books. Sometimes they are amazing. Sometimes they are not. Naomi Howland's Princess Says Goodnight falls right in the middle.

It's a quiet book about a girl (who imagines herself to be a princess) getting ready for bed. They rhymes are true, though not inspiring (remember that time we got to read words like befuddled in a book... ahh... good times).

There's not much to say about this book. It's quiet. It's simple. It's true. It
Beth Wood
David Small did the illustrations for this story, and they are delightful. Colorful, full of whimsy, and they really convey what every little girl loves about the idea of being a princess. I'd really give these pictures five stars.

But the story? Two stars at best. The cadence is way off, and contains some iffy rhymes at best. Some vocabulary I think is too difficult for the intended audience. And the title? PLEASE. Good night is TWO WORDS. Webster says so.
Heather
33 months - The illustrations are better than the story. There were a couple of parts O found fascinating, she'd like to try wearing glass slippers and she's curious what a chocolate eclair tastes like. We had a fun talk about why glass shoes would be uncomfortable and how they could shatter and the eclair... well we'll be picking those up at the bakery very soon.
Ashley Barnard
The book was cute for bedtime. I read it to my three-year-old daughter and she said she loved it. Each page goes through a different step in the bedtime routine process. However, the steps are fit for a princess. I liked the flow of the book and the rhyming. The illustration are colorful, yet soft which is suitable for bedtime.
The Library Lady
Someone said it well, this is How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight with a princess instead of a dinosaur. The Disney Princess wannabees will enjoy it.
Amy
I usually love Naomi Howland (Matzah Man and Latkes, Latkes, Good to Eat.) This, however, was a bit of a disappointment. It was just not a good story.
She is, as always, a wonderful illustrator, and in that regard, the book does not disappoint.
Gwen the Librarian
I love David Small’s illustrations and especially how they convey motion and the imaginary world in the "princess's" mind, but I think the text is nothing special. For parents looking for a new princess title, this one will certainly do the trick.
Kathy
David Small's art work is amazing! His use of crayons and water colors gives the feeling of soft simplicity while still being very expressive and charming. I love the expressions his characters get!
Eva Leger
This is a nice little rhyming story about a little girl, her imagination and a magical bedtime. Relatable for any little girl, especially princess fans and the illustrations are awesome!
Carrie
Soft watercolor illustrations and simple rhymes make this appealling to readers (little princesses) ages four to six. An enjoyable bedtime book about what a princess might do before bed
Gail
I hate all this princess crap but my daughter keeps picking them out at the library. Not much of a story, just about how the little girl pretends she is a princess.
Vicki
This book should be flying off the shelves at your public library for all the princess lovers that look for books. Short and sweet with lively illustrations.
Jodi
Rhyming text almost exactly like Jane Yolen’s How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight with less vibrant illustrations. A cute spin on the theme.
Shanshad Whelan
The illustrations are cute, but the forced rhyme and painfully princessy stuff? Yeesh.
Rachel
Love the imagination and progression of the illustrations, text is fun and works well.
Julia
The rhymes are a little cumbersome.
Marie
A delight for the princess set.
Phuong
May 11, 2012 Phuong marked it as kids
to read
Tracey
Tracey added it
Jul 06, 2015
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Amy
Amy added it
May 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Latkes, Latkes, Good to Eat: A Chanukah Story The Matzah Man: A Passover Story ABCDrive! Better-Than-Best Purim, The The Mystery Bear: A Purim Story