Start by marking “Princess Says Goodnight” as Want to Read:
Princess Says Goodnight

Princess Says Goodnight

When a little girl pretends she's a real princess, her imagination soars and her bedtime routine is transformed into a majestic affair. While practicing curtsies on her way to bed, she gets the royal treatment: chocolate cream Éclairs, glass slippers, ladies-in-waiting, a tiara—even a bubble bath with a special fluffy towel to dry her toes. Being a princess is so much fun

Published May 4th 2010 by HarperCollins (first published May 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Princess Says Goodnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess Says Goodnight

Kathryn
Jul 27, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Cute rhyming text about a little girl who imagines she is a princess on her way to bed. Girly-girls will definitely appreciate all the princess-y aspects of bedtime, from wishing on a star from her tower window to wearing a silky lacy bathrobe with feathers to daddy checking under the mattress for a pea or other lumps ;-) David Small's watercolors are soft and gently humorous--perfect for bedtime.
J. Boo
Mar 26, 2017 J. Boo rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
Amusing rhymed tale of a girl who imagines herself to be a princess going to bed, with parents, siblings, and pets playing the roles of castle servants. Some nice little touches in the images. For example, we start with Princess and her parents in their ordinary clothes, while a hallway mirror reflects what Princess sees them wearing in her imagination.

The idea is good, but not, IMHO, executed quite as well as it could have been. But then again, the target audience, DD (age 4), is entirely uncr
Fats
Jan 04, 2014 Fats rated it liked it
In this charming picturebook-in-verse, a little girl pretends she is a princess and imagines the things a princess would do before she goes to bed. Does a princess practice her curtsies down the hall? Does she get a frothy glass of milk with chocolate cream eclairs? Naomi Howland’s short, rhyming verses are brimming with descriptive words that would appeal to children’s vivid imagination. There is a playful rhythm to these lines that would make little girls think of themselves as princesses them ...more
Leslie
Princess Says Goodnight imagines how it must look for a princess would say goodnight aka go to bed, even while teh reader must imagine what actions correlate to the little girl’s saying goodnight.

Princess Says Goodnight is playful, but quiet, not eye-popping candy-colored or sparkly energy. The girl is vibrant sure, but the wash of colors and movement is softened. The text is rhythmic, the words are lulling. It is a good bedtime book. And one that is good for a sibling who likes to have their sp
Ally Copper
Apr 19, 2016 Ally Copper rated it it was amazing
Parents can never have enough books to help their little ones snuggle into bed. 'Princess Says Goodnight' is a good one for the collection. With simple text and fun rhymes, this book may soon become the favorite of little princesses everywhere. Engaging water color illustrations show a little girl using her imagination to see the castle and kingdom folk all around her as she finishes her day and makes her way to bed. I especially like the picture of the little princess's parents as they walk dow ...more
Layla & Rachel
Apr 23, 2013 Layla & Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
You should probably know something about us. We read a lot of princess books. Sometimes they are amazing. Sometimes they are not. Naomi Howland's Princess Says Goodnight falls right in the middle.

It's a quiet book about a girl (who imagines herself to be a princess) getting ready for bed. They rhymes are true, though not inspiring (remember that time we got to read words like befuddled in a book... ahh... good times).

There's not much to say about this book. It's quiet. It's simple. It's true. It
Beth Wood
Mar 22, 2012 Beth Wood rated it liked it
David Small did the illustrations for this story, and they are delightful. Colorful, full of whimsy, and they really convey what every little girl loves about the idea of being a princess. I'd really give these pictures five stars.

But the story? Two stars at best. The cadence is way off, and contains some iffy rhymes at best. Some vocabulary I think is too difficult for the intended audience. And the title? PLEASE. Good night is TWO WORDS. Webster says so.
Ashley Barnard
Jan 31, 2013 Ashley Barnard rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdg-291
The book was cute for bedtime. I read it to my three-year-old daughter and she said she loved it. Each page goes through a different step in the bedtime routine process. However, the steps are fit for a princess. I liked the flow of the book and the rhyming. The illustration are colorful, yet soft which is suitable for bedtime.
Heather
Jan 01, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: from-library
33 months - The illustrations are better than the story. There were a couple of parts O found fascinating, she'd like to try wearing glass slippers and she's curious what a chocolate eclair tastes like. We had a fun talk about why glass shoes would be uncomfortable and how they could shatter and the eclair... well we'll be picking those up at the bakery very soon.
Kimberly
Feb 29, 2016 Kimberly rated it liked it
My little girl (4) loves everything about princesses, and she loved this book too. My son (5) enjoyed it as well. I liked it and it had great rhythm and brings pleasant images to mind. A good bedtime story.
The Library Lady
Jun 28, 2011 The Library Lady rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Someone said it well, this is How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight with a princess instead of a dinosaur. The Disney Princess wannabees will enjoy it.
Gwen the Librarian
Oct 14, 2010 Gwen the Librarian rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I love David Small’s illustrations and especially how they convey motion and the imaginary world in the "princess's" mind, but I think the text is nothing special. For parents looking for a new princess title, this one will certainly do the trick.
Amy
Sep 17, 2011 Amy rated it did not like it
I usually love Naomi Howland (Matzah Man and Latkes, Latkes, Good to Eat.) This, however, was a bit of a disappointment. It was just not a good story.
She is, as always, a wonderful illustrator, and in that regard, the book does not disappoint.
Kathy
Aug 05, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it
David Small's art work is amazing! His use of crayons and water colors gives the feeling of soft simplicity while still being very expressive and charming. I love the expressions his characters get!
Julia
Feb 23, 2013 Julia rated it liked it
The rhymes are a little cumbersome.
Carrie
May 24, 2010 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Soft watercolor illustrations and simple rhymes make this appealling to readers (little princesses) ages four to six. An enjoyable bedtime book about what a princess might do before bed
Rachel
Jul 22, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Love the imagination and progression of the illustrations, text is fun and works well.
Eva Leger
Oct 09, 2010 Eva Leger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
This is a nice little rhyming story about a little girl, her imagination and a magical bedtime. Relatable for any little girl, especially princess fans and the illustrations are awesome!
Shanshad Whelan
Sep 21, 2012 Shanshad Whelan rated it liked it
The illustrations are cute, but the forced rhyme and painfully princessy stuff? Yeesh.
Gail
Mar 13, 2012 Gail rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-books
I hate all this princess crap but my daughter keeps picking them out at the library. Not much of a story, just about how the little girl pretends she is a princess.
Vicki
Apr 05, 2013 Vicki rated it really liked it
This book should be flying off the shelves at your public library for all the princess lovers that look for books. Short and sweet with lively illustrations.
Rebecca Gomez
Apr 25, 2016 Rebecca Gomez rated it really liked it
Not a story, exactly, just an imaginative princessy bed time routine. Perfect bed time read for little princesses.
Danielle
Danielle rated it did not like it
Aug 09, 2015
Shelley Trick
Shelley Trick rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
May 02, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2013
Shiwani
Shiwani rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2011
Natasha
Natasha rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2011
Adriana
Adriana rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2012