Alfred Zector, Book Collector

Alfred Zector, Book Collector

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In his warm, weathered house, stuffed in crannies and nooks, were heaps, rows, and stacks of beloved bound books.

The only thing that brings Alfred Zector joy is collecting books. And so he sets out on a mission to collect every last one, until his home on the hill is stretched at the seams with books big and small. But what happens when the rest of the townspeople have not...more
Published May 4th 2010 by HarperCollins (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Alfred Zector, Book Collector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alfred Zector, Book Collector

Sandy
I am very much like Alfred. I seem to be on my own mission of collecting books. I do know I can't accomplish that like Alfred. I know it's fiction because Alfred actually read the books he collected. I really liked this book. It had a lot of great rhyming and the pictures were great. And working in a public library I feel like Alfred when he starts giving out the books. Any child who likes the library will like this book.
Kristin
This book has been on repeat at our house for bedtime. I think my students would love it paired with Aunt Chip and the Great Triple Creek Dam Affair. Lots of similarities, yet different points of view. Would be a great paired text.
Tam

fiction

Diversity:
Sharing

Illustrations:
The illustrations are incredibly bright and vibrant in the story; it looks like it may have been created with acrylic paint.

Personal response:
The story is written as in a rhyming poem. The story line is very cute and creates an importance for books and reading. The illustrations in the book are so bright and vibrant, it makes it a fun book to look at and read.

Curricular or programming connections:
This book would be good for a citizen/char...more
Heidi
I think this would be a fun one to use in a family storytime, as most of the ages could follow the story and enjoy the rhymes. The bright pictures full of expression could reach the toddlers, too. And my word--Bob makes a special appearance again! (We even get to glimpse how cute he'll be when he's old!)

9/27/10 This worked well in PJ storytime, too. The kids loved watching what Alfred did--and especially loved watching the turtle. Who wouldn't? :-) They were guessing early on what would happen,...more
Brenda
The story begins with Alfred Zector as a lonely boy who begins to see the fun and excitement of reading books. He sees such joy that he begins to start collecting them from all over town until he owns every one. Alfred decides that he will read each one until one day he discovers he is house bound and doesn't know what to do now. Told in verse with bright illustrations Alfred Zector Book Collector is a charming story with the lesson that the best thing about books are they are meant to be shared...more
Amanda
Would give this no stars if possible. Horrible.
Kris
Kelly DiPucchio, I heart you for writing this. I love how Alfred collects books because he finds his great escape within pages, I love that he feels the need to collect them all (preachin' to the choir here), I love how humdrum life is for the townsfolk who have no books, and I love that Alfred realizes in the end that "the best kind of books are the books that are shared."
Joella www.cinjoella.com
This was just ok for me. I usually like these type of books...but the fact that I could guess the "message" on page one made me a little sad when I was right. But, it was a fun read...the one time that I will read it. If you want a better picture book, check out most of the rest of the author's picture books. She is usually spot on!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This is an interesting book. Alfred is a "book collector" but maybe book horder is more appropriate. After acquiring and reading every available book in the town, Alfred realizes that maybe there is more fun in sharing books with others than in just reading them. Illustrations are vibrant and enhance the text.
Marcie
This didn't really do that much for me. Perhaps it was too much like Morris Lessmore, but not as compelling. I do however love the last line Moral - Surrounded by friends, Alfred Zector declared, "the best kind of books are the books that are shared."
Rusty Gregory
"Alfred Zector was a book collector."

My five star reviews mean the book was awesome in everything, plot, characters, illustrations. The compositions of the pages are so well done. Highly recommend this book.
Mandi Murphy
I used this book to teach my cub scouts about collecting. It has fun rhyming words, cute illustrations, and a moral of sorts. Love it!
Amy
This could almost be me, except I don't want to own every book out there, only the ones that I love and want to keep forever.
Danielle
Big fan of Kelly DiPucchio. This book is a gem for book lovers and for building book lovers.
RobesonBoys
I just love books about books!

Tanner 3 stars
Logan 5 stars
Max 5 stars
Caren
A good book to share at the beginning of the school year.
Kim Stroberg
Good story and colorful. A teeny bit dry.
Tina Andrews
Tina Andrews marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Spud
Spud marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Morgan Echtenkamp
Morgan Echtenkamp marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Jun 08, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kelly is the award-winning author of several children’s books, thousands of To-Do lists, and a few recipe cards. Two of her books, Grace For President and The Sandwich Swap, were New York Times bestsellers.

Like most kids who grew up in the 1970’s, Kelly had a pet goat and bought all her clothes from the Sears catalog. Like most teenagers who grew up in the 1980’s, Kelly had really big glasses and...more
More about Kelly DiPucchio...
Grace for President Zombie in Love Crafty Chloe Gaston Gilbert Goldfish Wants a Pet