Start by marking “My Garden” as Want to Read:
My Garden

My Garden

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,088 Ratings  ·  240 Reviews
The girl in this book grows chocolate rabbits, tomatoes as big as beach balls, flowers that change color, and seashells in her garden.

How does your garden grow?

Published February 23rd 2010 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about My Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Garden

The Curious Garden by Peter  BrownMiss Rumphius by Barbara CooneyThe Gardener by Sarah StewartPlanting a Rainbow by Lois EhlertMy Garden by Kevin Henkes
Picture Books About Gardens
5th out of 176 books — 99 voters
City Dog, Country Frog by Mo WillemsA Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. SteadChalk by Bill ThomsonArt & Max by David WiesnerBink & Gollie by Kate DiCamillo
2011 Caldecott Hopefuls
9th out of 74 books — 143 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
I didn't know anything about the book and was surprised to discover it is not so much about actual gardening (though there is a real garden the mom and daughter plant) as imaginative gardening as the little girl dreams of having a garden with no weeds or dead plants, and wants to plant seashells (to grow seashells, of course!) and jellybeans to grow candy plants. And there would be no carrots, because she does not like them ;-) Overall, I appreciated the imaginative approach, though I do love re ...more
Lisa Vegan
Apr 14, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: encouraging imaginative kids to express themselves; garden lovers
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Chocolate rabbits and strawberry lanterns, and flowers that change their colors and have patterns? Sign me up! No carrots and things such as buttons and umbrellas? No thank you. But, that’s what makes this book such fun. Every reader/listener is encouraged to think about what their ideal garden might contain.

A lot of imagination, some humor and some whimsy, and a lot f fun.

I’m not sure I was wild about the illustrations, especially given what they could be given that the story is about gardens,
Ann
I love the concept of this book - a little girl who, while helping her mother in their garden, imagines the type of garden *she* would have. Her imagination is endless, from planting seashells to grow seashells, to jellybeans to grow candy plants, to all sorts of things in between!

I love books that inspire and promote imagination, and this book does just that.

Jo
Mar 17, 2010 Jo rated it it was amazing
After reading the description, I wasn't sure if I was going to like this but I ended up loving it! It's surprisingly cute.

While helping her mother in the garden, a little girl daydreams about what her garden would look like if she had one. Tomatoes as big as beach balls, chocolate rabbits instead of real ones, flowers that can change colour just by thinking about it and when you pick a flower, a new one pops up!

I especially enjoyed the jelly bean bush and the strawberries that glow like lantern
Jacoba
Oct 12, 2013 Jacoba rated it really liked it
My Garden by Kevin Henkes (2010)
Genre: Picture book
Format: Book
Plot summary: A young girl imagines her dream garden complete with jellybean bushes, chocolate rabbits, and tomatoes the size of beach balls.
Considerations or precautions for readers advisory (strong language, sex, death, religious overtones, violence, etc.): No special consideration
Review citation (if available: Novelist, Janssen, Carolyn School Library Journal , March 2010, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p119-120
Section source used to find the m
B.P.
Jan 12, 2016 B.P. marked it as picture-books
Young girl imagines her perfect garden. Great colours, illustrations and ideas.
Sarah Adamson
May 02, 2015 Sarah Adamson rated it it was ok
I like the general idea of this book and really liked the twist at the end and the beautiful illustrations. However the little girl growing chocolate bunny rabbits and then eating them instead of real bunny rabbits eating her mothers lettuce was just weird and made both me and my daughter go what??!
So apart from that glitch, a reasonable kids book.
Kristine Hansen
Feb 20, 2016 Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing
A child helps in the garden and daydreams about all the things she would grow if the garden were hers. This was a delight to look at, and was filled with imagination and the wonder of trying to figure out just how things grow and which things planted in soil will net results (like jelly beans or seashells).

I wanted to go back and just look at the pictures all over again after reading this book. This is one that makes me smile, and makes me eager to work outside in my own garden. One for the favo
Anna
Nov 19, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
My Garden / Kevin Henkes / 2010
Genre: fiction
Format: picture book

Plot Summary: After helping her mother weed, water, and chase the rabbits from their garden, a young girl imagines her dream garden complete with jellybean bushes, chocolate rabbits, and tomatoes the size of beach balls.

Considerations: none

Review Citation:
Booklist May 29 2013
"Young children will enjoy the girl’s silly and ingenious exploits in her imaginary garden"

Selection Source: Booklist reviews
Recommended age: 0-5
Jared White
A part of me really likes this book. The little girl is very imaginative (which I am usually a huge fan of) and the pictures are beautiful; but in this case I don't really like that the girl is so imaginative because I think gardens (flower or veggie, especially one combined) have enough wonder and delight in them to keep most kids fascinated, especially if they're left to their own devices or have an adult of a certain type who is able to convey their own wonder.

Planting umbrellas, rusted keys,
Markie Wise
Apr 30, 2015 Markie Wise rated it it was amazing
My Garden has absolutely got to be one of my favorite Kevin Henkes stories! It is about a little girl who helps her mom in her garden. She then begins to think about what she would grow if she had her own garden! Her imagination starts to shine through with her visions of growing chocolate bunnies, beach balls, and so much more.

I love this book because of the amount of imagination this young girl has for her garden she wants. I feel that in today's society, children aren't given as many opportu
Bonnie Ferrante
Mar 21, 2014 Bonnie Ferrante rated it it was amazing
The picture book begins in reality with a little girl helping her mother in the garden. From there the child imagines the perfect, magical garden where nothing dies, flowers change color, rabbits are chocolate, and anything you plant including jellybeans and umbrellas will grow. The child discusses flowers and vegetables. At the end, the little girl decides to indulge her fantasy and secretly plants a seashell in the garden.

This simple story would be a wonderful accompaniment to discussion on ga
Lauren Brink
Apr 24, 2015 Lauren Brink rated it really liked it
My Garden is about a young girl who helps her mother work in the garden. The little girl weeds, waters, and chases away the rabbits so they don’t eat the lettuce. However, if she had her own garden it would only have chocolate rabbits for her to eat. Her garden would not have any weeds, and all of the flowers would keep growing and never die. Along with this, the flowers would change whatever color she wanted it to, and if she planted seashells or jellybeans, she would grow seashells and jelly b ...more
Allison Parker
Nov 17, 2010 Allison Parker rated it liked it
Imagination as well as flowers bloom in this book. A young girl, after working in her mother's garden, imagines what her own garden would be like: flowers would change colors, seashells would grow on stems, and carrots would be invisible, because "I don't like carrots." Henkes' artwork is bright and bubbly, often busy pastels that might overwhelm without the blissfully white and simple text pages facing each illustration.
Anna Stover
Apr 24, 2015 Anna Stover rated it it was amazing
Most garden books for kids are not, let's face it, capable of captivating an audience of 7 year olds. To do so takes imagination and skill. Nevertheless, that's exactly what My Garden does: I had a roomful of boys and girls oohing and ahhing and laughing at the imaginative flights of fancy of the heroine as she creates an ideal garden. It made for a great after-storytime project of drawing their own imaginary gardens (although admittedly some of their gardens were a little darker than the ones i ...more
Julie
Feb 27, 2010 Julie rated it it was amazing
Oh Kevin Henkes, I love your books!
"If I planted seashells, I'd grow seashells. if I planted jelly beans, I'd grow a great big jelly bean bush." This reminded of the time i buried charcoal all over my yard because i thought diamonds would pop out.
Haley Dustman
May 01, 2014 Haley Dustman rated it liked it
Shelves: kevin-henkes

I did feel though that the book needed more connection (the things to plant felt a little too random for me). And the bit about there not being real bunnies in the girl's garden, but instead chocolate bunnies that she
Jessica Lane
Jan 28, 2016 Jessica Lane rated it it was amazing
My Garden by Kevin Henkes is about a little girl helping her mom out in the garden. While she's helping pull weeds, she imagines what would be in her garden. She imagines everything from flowers that changed color by her thinking about it, strawberries that glow at nights, and a jellybean tree.

I thought My Garden was really cute and fun. We all imagine wonderful things much like this when we were kids. The pictures of her garden were beautful. I loved this book, and so would kids.

This would be
RC
Mar 23, 2015 RC rated it it was amazing
In typical Kevin Henkes' fashion My Garden is a beautifully illustrated, creative story about a child engaging with the world around her. Told in the first person, the story discusses gardening and the seasons in a loving, inventive way. This book is sure to inspire conversations about what can go in a garden and what helps a garden grow. The best parts, however, are the gorgeous illustrations and careful detail that Henkes brings to every page.

This would be a wonderful addition to any collec
Dana Wright
Apr 10, 2011 Dana Wright rated it it was amazing
Imagination and garden. An inspiring book.
Julia
Mar 12, 2013 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: kevin-henkes
“My Garden” is about a little girl who helps her mother take care of her garden. She imagines what it would be like to have her own garden and how much more beautiful hers would be compared to her mother’s. She pictures a magic garden where everything is perfect and she can grow whatever she wants, including, buttons, jelly beans, and seashells. She decides to plant a seashell in the garden before she goes to bed one night to see if a seashell tree will grow. The last illustration in the book is ...more
Tasha
Mar 08, 2010 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl helps her mother in her garden. It is a nice garden, but if the little girl could create her own garden, it would be very different! There would be no weeds. No plants would die. If you imagined the flowers different colors and patterns, they would change. Rabbits would not eat lettuce, instead they would be chocolate rabbits meant to be eaten. There would be lots of birds and butterflies, and unique things would suddenly grow. This beauty of a book will inspire children to dream t ...more
Jill
A little girl helps her mother in the garden and imagines what her own garden would be like: her flowers could change color, grow back right after you picked them, have chocolate rabbits running through it, grow seashells, jellybean bushes, and more! Preschool- Grade1.

Curriculum Connection: This would be a wonderful book to do an art project with, letting students show their individuality, and creating a classroom garden with the pictures. It would be a terrific discussion starter on being uniqu
Eva Leger
Jan 28, 2011 Eva Leger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
3.5 - This is nothing like the description which is very bland. I'm surprised I already had this listed to-read and I must have found it elsewhere because there is no way I'd have added this - much less went and found it - on that description alone. (That description is also on the inside front flap of the book. You'd think someone could have come up with something a little more, well, uh, descriptive.)
An interesting little piece of info - there is a family by the name of Henkes in my developme
Ellen Shackley
Sep 10, 2012 Ellen Shackley rated it it was amazing
Genre: Fantasy

Summary: A young girl gardens with her mother and dreams of her own fantastic garden where anything is possible.

A. Theme

B. This book had a strong positive theme of hope and believing in your dreams. In the story, the young girl dreams of a garden where impossible things happen, towards the end she admits that she knows none of these things could happen but still dreams of them. I think the author depicted the theme very well.

C. The young girl in the book lists many things that woul
Layla & Rachel
Apr 01, 2013 Layla & Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
Before you even begin reading this book, or this review, we wanted to point something out. This book doesn't rhyme. We know it's silly, it doesn't matter, blah blah blah. But to some it does. We will still read a book if it doesn't rhyme, but we can't lie. Every time Rachel starts to read a children's book out loud, she starts out reading it as if she's trying to find the cadence to the rhyme. And then it doesn't rhyme. And then Rachel and Layla share an awkward glance as if they are too embarra ...more
Amy Forrester
Sep 10, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
The young girl in this book loves to help in her mother’s garden by watering and weeding. She thinks her mother’s garden is very nice, but if she had a garden of her own it would be very different. The flowers would change colors and never stop blooming. The weeds would be nonexistent and the rabbits wouldn’t eat the lettuce because they would be chocolate rabbits! And the girl would be able to plant all sorts of things, like jelly beans and seashells, and they would grow. Although the girl know ...more
Brooklyn Schamens
I enjoyed this book, a lot. I think students would as well because it starts off with telling the readers about this girl's mother's garden and everything in it, but as the story goes on it shows different things the little girl would want in her own garden. I think students could definitely use their imagination and visualize what they would want in their garden as well. The illustrations are colored with water color which really bring out the pictures and different designs on each page.
Scott Pagel
Oct 19, 2013 Scott Pagel rated it it was amazing
From the first panel, I thought this was going to be a cute story about a young daughter helping her mom work in the garden. And then I turned the page...

This girl's dream garden is the greatest garden ever! I'd be slightly put off by so many birds filling the air and I'd make my carrots big and the tomatoes invisible, but every other idea is glorious. I especially loved the chocolate rabbits and laughed out loud at the perfect words and tone used to share about that part of the dream garden. Th
Tony Lewis
Mar 01, 2012 Tony Lewis rated it it was ok

Title:My Garden
Author:Kevin Henkes
Illustrator: Kevin Henkes
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Publishing Date:2010
ISBN Number:978-0-06-171518

Summary:Whimsical story about a little girl who loves being in her mom's garden. she has other ideas however on what she would want her garden to look like and what it would yield. She dreams of flowers that never die and jellybean bushes. The illustrations are vibrant and the prose is easy to follow and fun to read.

Age Level:2-6

Instructional Uses and Student A
  • On Meadowview Street
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • Flower Garden
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • City Dog, Country Frog
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
  • Dogs
  • LMNO Peas
  • What Does Bunny See?: A Book of Colors and Flowers
  • Mama, Is It Summer Yet?
  • A Penguin Story
Kevin Henkes became an author/illustrator when he was nineteen years old, working on a card table in his bedroom.
Today he's the author of many award-winning picture books and novels.
More about Kevin Henkes...