Start by marking “Les Chevaliers De La Brune” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Les Chevaliers De La B...

Tim Powers

Les Chevaliers De La Brune

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,338 Ratings  ·  209 Reviews
Del Rey's Impact line introduces a list of titles that have "slipped through the cracks and become buried treasure." The re-release of Tim Powers's The Drawing of the Dark (first published in 1979) is indeed worthy of the imprint. It was his third novel and first foray into the fantasy genre.

Published January 4th 1997 by J'ai lu (first published 1979)

Patrick
Dec 31, 2015 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was home for Christmas I saw this on the shelf and couldn't help but pick it up and read it. Cost me some sleep even though I was already exhausted. I missed an entire night of sleep reading it.

As with anything written by Tim Powers, it's worth your time.

Fair warning, if you're looking for a driving plot, this might not be the book for you. But if you enjoy mystery and unique worldbuilding, you're in for a treat....
Ian Tregillis
Feb 21, 2012 Ian Tregillis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tim Powers is a mad genius.

The siege of Vienna, Vikings, and the Fisher King. Oh, and Merlin, of course. I'm tired, and lazy as hell, so that's about all the plot summary I can muster. On one level this is a book about beer, as might be inferred (playfully) from the title. It's the secret history of what the Ottomans were really after when they marched on Vienna, and a forgotten chapter of Arthurian Legend.

This is one of Powers's early novels, and I found it a little more concise than some of h
Mike (the Paladin)
Feb 18, 2011 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I read this book years ago ('79 or 80 I believe)...and forgot about it till it was resurrected as a "lost fantasy classic", which I agree it is.

This one predates the glut of Arthurian pastiches, adaptions and outright rip-offs that got so popular for a while. Here we start with the story of a 14th century "soldier of fortune" com adventurer who's traveled and been a rogue and mercenary (among other things), Brian Duffy. Faced with what might be termed "an affair of honor" (facing 3 men) he find
Mohammed
Sep 15, 2009 Mohammed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite Tim Powers book and one of few modern fantasy books i have read that was a truly great read.

I liked it cause of his style of writing, his characters ,the humour,action and the awesome blend of historical setting and the supernatural. His themes are very interesting.

A ripping yarn ! A great historical fantasy.

Bandit
Jan 09, 2016 Bandit rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Drawing of The Dark, it isn't you, it's me. I just don't like fantasy. Much like beer. Ad this book has way too much of both. Thing is I'm not sure why it's even necessary here, because to me at least history is fascinating, intriguing and bizarre enough without the interventions of sorcery. Siege of Vienna by Ottoman Empire in 1529 is at the center of the story and it's an event of incredible historical import. Essentially it checked the progress of Ottoman Empire in central Europe and redirect ...more
Dorian
Sep 21, 2014 Dorian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my introduction to Tim Powers' work, way back in about 1990 or thereabouts. I don't recall now what attracted me to it (it can't have been the bloody awful cover art) - perhaps the notion of a fantasy hero working as a bouncer; back then, the notion of the fantasy hero not being a Big Shiny Hero was new and exciting to me. Anyway, I've just been rereading it for the first time in some years...

...and it's stood up reasonably well under the passing years.

Brian Duffy is a middle-aged merce
Javir11
Sep 21, 2015 Javir11 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Antes de nada, querría comentar que esta es una de las primeras reseñas que hago sobre un libro, así que no seáis muy duros al leerla. Prometo mejorar con el tiempo, o si no se da el caso os invito a una buena cerveza.

Y hablando de cerveza, os voy a empezar a hablar de Esencia Oscura. Una historia que si habéis leído la sinopsis de más arriba, ya sabréis que se enmarca dentro del periodo histórico donde los turcos asediaron la ciudad de Viena en el siglo XVI.

¿Y os preguntareis qué importancia pu
Maggie K
Apr 03, 2015 Maggie K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gollancz
I enjoyed this, but there was a bit of a mish-mash of stuff, and a couple things didn't ring true for me, but I still give it a 3.5

Brian Duffy is a bit of an Irish Jack of all Trades, and when he is offered a job in a famous brewery in Vienna, he decides it's the perfect opportunity to look up his old love he had never forgotten....

He gets there and reconnects with her almost immediately, but as he starts his new job at the brewery, strange things start to happen...

I don't mind a spiritual mish-
Hotspur
Jul 28, 2008 Hotspur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, alt-history
This is a rare five-star classic, a book I would review to anyone. Tim Powers (a colleague and conspirator with James Blaylock) often lapses into the mythic using "fantasy reality" tropes. This book, and perhaps the more famous ANUBIS GATES, treat the fantastic as part of a perfectly understandable world, which makes for an interesting writing style.

Duffy is an aged soldier on the road to the Siege of Vienna, where he hopes to achieve some employment as a defender of the city. Along the way he s
Simon
Never have I read a novel infused with so much drinking of beer! I could not turn a page, it seemed, when the protagonist Duffy doesn't quaff yet another tankard of ale. The very title itself refers to the drawing of the special, dark brew of beer that is performed once every few hundred years in order to invest the agents of the west with its magical, life enhancing properties.

Punctuating the relentless beer drinking is plenty of action; Duffy is beset by antagonists at every turn trying to thw
Ignacio Senao f
Sé que no soy el único que tiene atravesado a este señor. Y mira que intento que me guste leyéndome todo lo que se va publicando, pero es que no. Es que NO.

Un TIARRÓN canoso contratado para que sea el segurata de una taberna. La ciudad de la taberna es asediada. Mientras tanto hay un giro que muy inesperado, una magnífica idea del autor, que desperdicia de la manera más estúpida y sigue la trama por las ramas. Unas ramas que no crecen, sino que se secan al no ser alimentadas por nada interesante
James Debruicker
Dec 05, 2010 James Debruicker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's about the Crusades and magic beer. That's going to either sell you on the novel or not.
Manu
Sep 15, 2010 Manu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esencia oscura, como buena parte de las novelas de Tim Powers, es un relato de fantasía histórica. Eso para quien le guste poner etiquetas a todo lo que se menea, claro, porque en realidad toda la fantasía es fantasía y, si me apuras, ficción y punto. Pero el libro tiene una buena cantidad de elementos sobrenaturales que Powers utiliza para dar una explicación alternativa al asedio de Viena de 1529, así que tampoco vamos a ponernos demasiado quisquillosos y aceptaremos "fantasía histórica" como ...more
Scott
Oct 09, 2009 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I finally got around to reading my first novel by Tim Powers, it being this one. I had read his short story collection a few years ago, and found it interesting enough to read more of his work, but wasn't so bowled over by it. His writing skills seemed better suited for novels.

From the Amazon.Com review, here is a rundown on the plot:

It is the year 1529 and Brian Duffy, a soldier of fortune, finds himself in Venice. A late-night confrontation with three brothers over a matter of honor convin
Jack Haringa
Jan 09, 2016 Jack Haringa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an early Powers novel that sat on my shelf for far too long, and I regret waiting so long to read it. while it's not as intricate and layered as his mature work, The Drawing of the Dark shows plenty of Powers' signature wit, characterization, and world building. It also marks his first foray into the mythology that forms the foundation of several of his best and best-loved books, including one of my favorites, Last Call.
ambyr
Man, they wrote them dense, back in the day.

There's a lot I enjoyed here--in particular, Brian's disgruntled, determined ignorance in the face of the supernatural--but not quite enough for me to love. The racial politics of the inscrutable Evil Muslim East battling the Good West in a literal clash of civilizations made me raise an eyebrow a bit. And the side plot with the protagonist's love interest was, uh, well, that was a thing that happened. Yep.
Melissa McShane
My opinion (and rating) hasn't changed since the first time I read this: it's a decent but uninspired novel, with a straightforward plot and excellent writing craftsmanship. You can see the beginnings of the kind of story Tim Powers has since become famous for, even though it's your basic Arthur/Merlin story with some unique touches.

The fundamental message is that beer is the foundation of Western civilization and has the power to change the world, but I'm sure beer drinkers everywhere already
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
Boy, that must really be some good beer!

The best thing about this book, is that so many people read it and then it dropped off the radar. That means it'll be a new experience for everyone reading it now un affected by the reactions of others.

I wasn't sure what to expect with this book. I read it prior to 1983. This book gives a remarkable look at Europe's history then overlays that with a tale that rivals Kevin Hearne's wide open "Hounded" for bringing all the old Deities under the big tent.

T
Matt
Nov 28, 2014 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving "The Drawing of the Dark" a FIVE for nostalgic reasons. My friend Ron and I would judge other books by this fine book by Tim Powers, an author of amazingly inventive imagination and wonderful, if flawed execution. Still, a four at least, for all sorts of good literary and artistic reasons. Thank you, Tim Powers.

Brian Duffy was a great, skeptical, resistant hero, and I needed him way back in 1979 or whatever the year would have been.
Simon
Jan 07, 2016 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally read this in the 80s and I enjoyed it immensely. Once again I enjoyed reading the book. Perhaps because I'm now older I had a greater appreciation of the world weary cynicism of the ageing warrior, Brian Duffy.
William
Mar 22, 2008 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, arthurian readers
Shelves: fantasy
If you like your fantasy to be fun and fast moving then this is the book for you.

Powers has always had an almost frantic imagination. In some books he reigns it in tight and focuses it on single ideas, but in others he lets it all out and throws everything in the melting pot.

So here we get the seige of Vienna, The Fisher King, Merlin, King Arthur, Sigurd, drunken Vikings, and, best of all, it is all tied together through an ancient brewery, where the beer is quite literally "The Food of the Good
Lucardus
Feb 15, 2016 Lucardus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ein typischer Powers, historische Ereignisse mit übernatürlichen Kräften und Mythen verknüpft, dazu eine Menge Bier und Schwarzpulver im Kontext der Belagerung von Wien anno 1529. Leider, wie bei fast allen englischsprachigen Romanen, die ich bisher gelesen habe, auch hier wieder keinerlei Anstalten, die paar deutschen Worte dann auch mal überprüfen zu lassen.

Ich war fast geneigt auf 3 Sterne zu gehen, da Powers in etwa immer dem selben Schema folgt, ähnlich als liest man einen Roman von John Ir
Mervi
Brian Duffy is a mercenary who has ended up in Venice after traveling around the world for years. After an unfortunate encounter with the Doge’s grandsons, he meets a strange old man Aurelianus who offers him a job in Vienna as a bouncer for Aurelianus’ tavern. Duffy has been in Vienna before and agrees, even though he finds it a bit strange that Aurelianus wants him.

Duffy buys a horse and starts the lengthy journey. But on the way, he sees and experiences strange things. Unknown people attack h
Hugo Barbosa
My first Tim Powers book though I read halfway through Three Days to Nothing. I knew the author enjoyed blending history with fantasy and this book is a good read for anyone who enjoys this. It starts innocently enough in Vienna and follows the tribulations of one Brian Duffy, Irish mercenary. Of course, nothing is at it seems. Brian is recruited by a mysterious figured called Ambrosius Aurelianus (Arthurian legends buffs will recognize this name immediately) to protect a brewery in Vienna which ...more
Nigel
Sep 18, 2015 Nigel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compared to most Tim Powers book, this is neither terribly exciting, and even a bit of a drag at times. Compared to most historical fantasies it's a clever, entertaining, swashbuckling romp as Brian Duffy, irascible Irish mercenary, is finagled from Venice to Vienna, hired to be a bouncer at an inn famous for its beer. Crossing the Alps on the way to gainful, if unlikely employment, he is attacked and waylaid but also protected by a cavalcade of mythical monstrosities, indicating that there is a ...more
astaliegurec
May 16, 2015 astaliegurec rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like many (if not most) of Tim Powers' works, his 1979 novel "The Drawing of the Dark" (his third novel) is historically based with a supernatural twist. This one's a little different from his other works since the focus is more on an historical event (the siege of Vienna in 1529) than on an historical person (though the main characters are out of the Arthur/Merlin/Fisher King legends). Also like his other works, it takes quite a while to figure out what's going on. In this case, we can't start ...more
Tiempo DeLetras
Sep 30, 2014 Tiempo DeLetras rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brian Duffy es un viejo veterano de guerra irlandés que lleva prácticamente toda su vida luchando contra los turcos, sin embargo lo que puede parecer un encuentro ocasional guiará sus pasos a un destino un tanto diferente como guardián de una vieja cervecería en Viena, productora de la famosa cerveza Herzwesten desde tiempos inmemorables, y lo que a priori parece una misión sencilla acabará en toda una odisea cuando las tropas de Solimán el magnífico asedien Viena.

Éste es el hecho histórico que
Jonathan
Turkish armies imperil the finest Viennese beer, brewed continuously in the same place since before the time of the Romans. Mercenary Brian Duffy is manipulated into leaving Venice to save Western civilisation, and incidentally see his old flame Epiphany.

Lots of yer aktual Istory of the Seige, along with Beer, Magicians, King Arthur, Merlin, the Fisher King, Vikings, and more Beer.

As usual Powers doesn't quite know how to tie up all of his splendid ideas at the end, but all good fun all the same
Daniel Shellenbarger
The Drawing of the Dark is an interesting book, but not a particularly fun book. The concept is certainly interesting, recasting the Ottoman Turks' attack on Vienna in 1529 as an attempt by an Eastern sorcerer to destroy the heart of the metaphysical West, a brewery (of all things), and clear the way for Eastern dominance of the globe. Set against the Turks and their demons is an aging Irish mercenary, Brian Duffy, conscripted by arcane forces to serve as the champion of the West in this dire ho ...more
Michael DiBaggio
This is the second Tim Powers book I read, but also my favorite. That's saying a lot considering that I started with Declare and it blew me away. The Drawing of the Dark is very different in pace and tone from Declare, but very familiar in terms of the paranormal, mythological, historical fantasy subject matter.

The Drawing of the Dark is the story of an Irish mercenary named Duffy, who may or may not be the reincarnation of King Arthur, who, at the behest of a strange old coot who may or may no
  • Sea-Kings of Mars and Otherworldly Stories
  • The Second Book of Lankhmar
  • The House on the Borderland and Other Novels
  • The Conan Chronicles: Volume 2: The Hour of the Dragon (The Conan Chronicles, #2)
  • The Dragon Waiting
  • The Well of the Unicorn
  • Black Gods and Scarlet Dreams
  • Voice of Our Shadow
  • The Green Pearl and Madouc (Lyonesse, #2-3)
  • Time And The Gods
  • Three Hearts and Three Lions
  • The Emperor of Dreams
  • The Mark of the Beast and Other Horror Tales (Dover Horror Classics)
  • Mistress of Mistresses
  • Was
  • Darker Than You Think
  • The History of the Runestaff
  • The Complete Compleat Enchanter
Timothy Thomas Powers is an American science fiction and fantasy author. Powers has won the World Fantasy Award twice for his critically acclaimed novels Last Call and Declare.

Most of Powers's novels are "secret histories": he uses actual, documented historical events featuring famous people, but shows another view of them in which occult or supernatural factors heavily influence the motivations a
More about Tim Powers...