Start by marking “Thomas Jefferson on Wine” as Want to Read:
Thomas Jefferson on Wine

Thomas Jefferson on Wine

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In "Thomas Jefferson on Wine," John Hailman celebrates a founding father's lifelong interest in wine and provides unprecedented insight into Jefferson's character from this unique perspective. In both his personal and public lives, Jefferson wielded his considerable expertise to influence the drinking habits of his friends, other founding fathers, and the American public a ...more
Published August 26th 2009 by University Press of Mississippi (first published November 8th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Thomas Jefferson on Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thomas Jefferson on Wine

Dec 15, 2007 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wine lovers/Obscure American history buffs
Shelves: cookbooks-food
The modernity of Jefferson's opinions on wine is amazing. He also writes fabulous letters to equally fabulous people.
Sue
This was a fascinating history on wine drinking during the founding of America. The author went a little overboard with the buying habits of Jefferson, though, and I didn't like how he skipped over history just because no wine was involved. That may be a good thing, however. I caught more than a few errors along the way.
Gordief
A wonderful read for the serious wine enthusiast. I found of particular note the name of a vineyard in Napa that is using varietals and methods of Jefferson.
Carol
This book was recommended to me because I am taking a Road Scholar program on wine & history in Charlottesville next month. It gave me some background on both Jefferson himself & his interest in wine. However, it dragged on & was difficult to finish. It was bogged down by too many wine inventories, which may be of interest to very serious wine connoisseurs, but I found it tedious. It is worth reading for anyone interested in wine or planning a trip to Monticello. One can always skip ...more
Lisa Kortebein
I actually read this as a history. There are many wonderful stories and letters shared within the pages. Jefferson was a thoughtful man who enjoyed the benefits of wine and his travels through Europe. This book inspires the desire to try some wines still in place or making a resurgence from the 1780s as well as rediscover our American history. If you love wine and history, this is the book for you.
Adam
This is probably a great book for serious wine geeks, but I wasn't able to get into it as much as I'd have liked. It's filled with endless lists of wine inventories and account book entries, which is somewhat interesting from a historical perspective, but I don't really know or care enough about wine history to get a lot out of it.
Paul
Hailman has searched the copious documentation left by Jefferson to compile a study of his wine buying, drinking, cellaring, and growing efforts. The focus is narrow but the material is so interesting that the book actually escapes pedantry!
Brendan
Good book if you're interested in both American history and wine. The information in the book is gleaned from letters written by and to Jefferson. It ultimately dragged on, however, and I found it tough to get through in the end.
Raymond
A slow read with a lot of detail, both historical and full of wine knowledge. The wine history became too detailed at times - but loved the way it read like correspondence. Very well done.
Tom
I loved the historical aspects of the book. The wine info bored me to the point where I skipped it when I came to it. I guess I'm still a wannabe when it comes to wine knowledge.
E
Fascinating look at how Jefferson searched and enjoyed wine in US and France. Does get a bit detailed and rambling at times... But very enjoyable read.
Joe Conklin
Mostly about Jefferson's fascination with wine. There were some good historical and personal anecdotes from Jefferson. Overall a good read but too long.
Todd
This was a fun book. Included some nice history and discussed the role of wine and culture in Jefferson's life.
Greg
A great look at wine consumption in the US by the Wine Consumer-In-Chief, circa late 1700's.
Mike
Literally reading someone's mail,but with a commentary.Pretty slow but interesting.
Jill
Nov 02, 2008 Jill marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Yum.
Karla Marie
Karla Marie is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2015
Robert Mckay
Robert Mckay marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Gail
Gail marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Apr 28, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Drew Frey
Drew Frey marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Chris G
Chris G is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
From Midnight to Guntown: True Crime Stories from a Federal Prosecutor in Mississippi From Midnight to Guntown The Search for Good Wine: From the Founding Fathers to the Modern Table Search for Good Wine Black Rock: A Zuni Cultural Landscape and the Meaning of Place