Start by marking “Gilliane (The Roselynde Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
Gilliane (The Roselynde Chronicles, #4)

Gilliane (The Roselynde Chronicles #4)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  255 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Caught in a political feud between rival barons, Gilliane is forced to marry a man she abhors, but, after being taken prisoner by Adam, her husband's sworn enemy, she finds herself both captive and captivated.
Published November 1st 1984 by Gregg Pr (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Gilliane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gilliane

Misfit
The Roselynde Chronicles Book Four 3.5 stars. King John is dead and his young son Henry rules England with William Marshal as regent, and Prince Louis of France is in cahoots with the rebellious English barons in an attempt to oust Henry and rule England for himself. Gilliane is the orphaned daughter of a minor knight and was raised in an abusive household. She is brought from France by her foster father to marry the disabled son of a rebellious baron so that he can control their lands for himse ...more
Hillari Delgado
'Gilliane' is the fourth installment in Roberta Gellis's beloved 'The Roselynde Chronicles.' First published in 1980, 'Gilliane' is now available in ebook format. It remains one of my favorite historical romance novels.

Most of Gellis's medieval stories, particularly 'The Roselynde Chronicles,' could more accurately be called historical fiction. Gellis immerses the reader in the thirteenth century. The details of daily life: what people ate, how they dressed, spoke and thought are woven into her
Lisa Kay
[image error]

Good Gravy Beans! I remember being spellbound by The Roselynde Chronicles when they first came out in the late seventies. With a couple of Doctoral & Masters Degrees under her belt – in something or other historical – Ms. Gellis writes what she knows. This, the forth book in this captivating series, was one of my favorites. When it popped up cheap on www.allromance.com a few months ago, I pounced on it.

I must admit to being relieved that this one still holds up. I love Gilliane
Shelley
From a life of cruel servitude, Gilliane is transported to England to marry her warden's prisoner. Her cruel existence continues until Adam Lemagne rides to her castle to claim it. Seeing no way to escape her life, she surrenders the keep without a fight and she discovers the man she has always dreamed of.

Ms Gellis has based her Roselynde series upon the misunderstandings of strong, but insecure characters and until this fourth book, the plot works quite well. However, Gilliane is portrayed as a
Lenore
Gilliane is Book Four in The Roselynde Chronicles, published in 1979. I read my original paperback, with yellowing pages and cracking spine. But it held up for all 494 pages, and I fell in love with Alinor and her family all over again. Gellis goes into great detail with English politics and war in 1200 era. I have no doubt her history is accurate, and some of the political intrigue affects the romance, but I still skim through the descriptions of war and fighting.
Audrey
Pulled this out of a box of old romance novels my mother was recycling. I couldn't get into the book, not even to laugh at the typical romance tropes.
Linda Eller
One of my favorite of the series!
Katie
I found it most entertaining at times that Adam interpreted Gilliane's actions as cleverly manipulative when that was totally not her intention or personality. Her character development was the best part of the book. (view spoiler) The historical background also seemed a little less rich than previous volumes, but I don't think that was ...more
Lil Bone
I just found this book at the flea market and recalled how much I loved it! I never read any of the others in the series. I pulled it out of a bargain romance bin when I was in high school and got sucked in. I'm exited to now read the others in the series.
Veronica Lindsey
Not as good as the others in the series, but worth reading for more info about Adam.
Kaetrin
Comfort re-read. 20 October 2013.
Susan Laine
Aug 26, 2009 Susan Laine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have
have
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Penny
Penny added it
May 30, 2015
Sarankisivanhotmail.com
Sarankisivanhotmail.com marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Salla Leppänen
Salla Leppänen marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
  • Red Adam's Lady
  • Shields of Pride
  • Summer's Storm (The Graistan Chronicles, #2)
  • Lord of a Thousand Nights (Medieval #6)
  • A Winter Ballad
  • Betrothed (Montagues, #2)
  • The Angel and the Prince
  • The Shattered Rose (Dark Champion, #3)
  • Through a Dark Mist (Robin Hood, #1)
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • The Maiden and the Unicorn
  • Amazon Lily
  • Saxon Bride
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1)
  • The Conqueror
  • My Lord's Desire (King John, #1)
  • The Husband Test (Brides of Virtue, #2)
  • Angel in Scarlet
Roberta Gellis has been one of the most successful writers of historical fiction of the last few decades, having published about 25 meticulously researched historical novels since 1964. She has been married to her husband Charles for over 50 years and they live together in Lafayette, Indiana with a lively Lakeland terrier called Taffy. She has one child called Mark.

Her page at the Internet Specula
More about Roberta Gellis...

The Roselynde Chronicles (7 books)
  • Roselynde (The Roselynde Chronicles, #1)
  • Alinor (The Roselynde Chronicles, #2)
  • Joanna (The Roselynde Chronicles, #3)
  • Rhiannon (The Roselynde Chronicles, #5)
  • Sybelle (The Roselynde Chronicles, #6)
  • Desiree (The Roselynde Chronicles, #7)
Roselynde (The Roselynde Chronicles, #1) A Mortal Bane (Magdalene La Batarde, #1) Alinor (The Roselynde Chronicles, #2) A Personal Devil (Magdalene la Batarde, #2) Joanna (The Roselynde Chronicles, #3)