Gilliane (The Roselynde Chronicles, #4)

Gilliane (The Roselynde Chronicles #4)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Caught in a political feud between rival barons, Gilliane is forced to marry a man she abhors, but, after being taken prisoner by Adam, her husband's sworn enemy, she finds herself both captive and captivated.
Published November 1st 1984 by Gregg Pr (first published 1979)

Misfit
The Roselynde Chronicles Book Four 3.5 stars. King John is dead and his young son Henry rules England with William Marshal as regent, and Prince Louis of France is in cahoots with the rebellious English barons in an attempt to oust Henry and rule England for himself. Gilliane is the orphaned daughter of a minor knight and was raised in an abusive household. She is brought from France by her foster father to marry the disabled son of a rebellious baron so that he can control their lands for himse...more
Hillari Delgado
'Gilliane' is the fourth installment in Roberta Gellis's beloved 'The Roselynde Chronicles.' First published in 1980, 'Gilliane' is now available in ebook format. It remains one of my favorite historical romance novels.

Most of Gellis's medieval stories, particularly 'The Roselynde Chronicles,' could more accurately be called historical fiction. Gellis immerses the reader in the thirteenth century. The details of daily life: what people ate, how they dressed, spoke and thought are woven into her...more
Lisa Kay
[image error]

★★★★½ Good Gravy Beans! I remember being spellbound by The Roselynde Chronicles when they first came out in the late seventies. With a couple of Doctoral & Masters Degrees under her belt – in something or other historical – Ms. Gellis writes what she knows. This, the forth book in this captivating series, was one of my favorites. When it popped up cheap on www.allromance.com a few months ago, I pounced on it.

I must admit to being relieved that this one still holds up. I love Gil...more
Shelley
From a life of cruel servitude, Gilliane is transported to England to marry her warden's prisoner. Her cruel existence continues until Adam Lemagne rides to her castle to claim it. Seeing no way to escape her life, she surrenders the keep without a fight and she discovers the man she has always dreamed of.

Ms Gellis has based her Roselynde series upon the misunderstandings of strong, but insecure characters and until this fourth book, the plot works quite well. However, Gilliane is portrayed as a...more
Audrey
Pulled this out of a box of old romance novels my mother was recycling. I couldn't get into the book, not even to laugh at the typical romance tropes.
Katie
I found it most entertaining at times that Adam interpreted Gilliane's actions as cleverly manipulative when that was totally not her intention or personality. Her character development was the best part of the book. (view spoiler) The historical background also seemed a little less rich than previous volumes, but I don't think that was...more
Lil Bone
I just found this book at the flea market and recalled how much I loved it! I never read any of the others in the series. I pulled it out of a bargain romance bin when I was in high school and got sucked in. I'm exited to now read the others in the series.
Veronica Lindsey
Not as good as the others in the series, but worth reading for more info about Adam.
Kaetrin
Comfort re-read. 20 October 2013.
Susan Laine
Aug 26, 2009 Susan Laine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have
have
Ari Pettit
Ari Pettit marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Theresa Depiano
Theresa Depiano marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Hey Ashers!
Hey Ashers! marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Rettah
Rettah marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Sarah Sayre
Sarah Sayre marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Emily Bramblett
Emily Bramblett marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Anya
Anya marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
  • Shields of Pride
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1)
  • Betrothed (Montagues, #2)
  • The Angel and the Prince
  • Summer's Storm (The Graistan Chronicles, #2)
  • A Winter Ballad
  • The Shattered Rose (Dark Champion, #3)
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • Angel in Scarlet
  • Through a Dark Mist (Robin Hood, #1)
  • Kathryn in the Court of Six Queens
  • Winds of Time (After Cilmeri #1.5)
  • Great Maria
  • I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince
  • The Conqueror
  • Amazon Lily
  • The Lute Player
  • Lord of a Thousand Nights (Medieval #6)
Roberta Gellis has been one of the most successful writers of historical fiction of the last few decades, having published about 25 meticulously researched historical novels since 1964. She has been married to her husband Charles for over 50 years and they live together in Lafayette, Indiana with a lively Lakeland terrier called Taffy. She has one child called Mark.

Her page at the Internet Specula...more
More about Roberta Gellis...
Roselynde (The Roselynde Chronicles, #1) A Mortal Bane (Magdalene La Batarde, #1) Alinor (The Roselynde Chronicles, #2) Joanna (The Roselynde Chronicles, #3) A Personal Devil (Magdalene la Batarde, #2)