Start by marking “Muti's Necklace: The Oldest Story in the World” as Want to Read:
Muti's Necklace: The Oldest Story in the World

Muti's Necklace: The Oldest Story in the World

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Thousands of years ago in Egypt, a girl named Muti receives a beautiful necklace from her father. He has carved it himself—from “turquoise as blue as a dragonfly’s wing, and carnelian, as red as the inside of a pomegranate.” Muti wears it every day as she grows from a small child into an independent young woman.

When at the age of thirteen she is sent to work for King Snefr
Published June 26th 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Muti's Necklace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Muti's Necklace

David

Okay, it /isn't/ the oldest story in the world, because we DO, contrary to what the forward says, have 'written stories' from before this one. (hello, folks... really?)

Also, the Author openly admits that the 'real' tale from ancient Egypt around the time of the Pharaoh Snefru, really focused on the magician and his retrieving the precious object of the tale- it didn't actually focus on Muti, as this book does...

Now, DESPITE those things, this book would be a fantastic one to have on your shelf o
Katey
My view on Social Studies:
I believe that social studies is the study of humans, their interactions with each other and the world around them. As teachers, we must open the eyes of our students to the diverse cultures around us. Every individual is unique and can offer something to the world.
Summary and integration of book:
While this book says it has bases in truth, it has been greatly embellished. This story takes place in ancient Egypt. A beautiful servant girl refuses to work until her neckl
Allison
Muti, a girl in Egypt, has a beautiful necklace, and a family who loves her very much. When she grows older, she works at the palace and is called to lead the rowers on the Pharoh's boat. When her necklace falls in the water, Muti refuses to row until her neckalce is returned to her. The Pharoah, (who is a very attractive man for a picture book character...)after getting over his anger, decides that she is strong and graceful and brave, and he wants to marry her. Muti refuses, choosing to go bac ...more
April Helms
Jan 23, 2008 April Helms rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children
An incredible story, illustrated by one of my favorite artists. The art is what drew me to check out this book in the first place.

Muti, a young girl from Egypt, is hired to work for the pharoah. One day, while on a boat that is taking the pharoah around the lake, Muti loses the necklace her father made for her -- and not even the pharoah himself will get her to leave it behind.

This is based on a very old Egyptian story, believed by some to be one of the oldest recorded stories in the world.
Kelly Morgan
This book was very interesting and positive. I enjoyed the characteristics of the lead character Muti. Muti stayed true to herself and family. She did not forget where she came from and through it all her determination and loyalty with the bonding necklace keep her content strong minded! This book is for ages 8 and up. I would allow my students to act out the book and maybe act out how Muti would have given up and not cared!
Becca
Muti's necklace shows a sense of bravery and confidence. The story itself is not a fascinating one, in my opinion, yet the morals are there to learn from. Many people could relate the story to one from their own life, something they have done to stand up for themselves in a harsh time. Again, the story wasn't entertaining to me, but the "old" vibe you receive from reading it makes you think about the Egyptian times.
Rachel
Great simple story with the most gorgeous watercolor and gouache illustrations about a young girl named Muti who values her necklace, which reminds her of her happiness with her family, about everything else in the world, even the Pharaoh and his happiness. Definitely want to check out more works by the illustrator.
Allison
Absolutely beautiful illustrations. The story, unfortunately, leaves a little to be desired.
Miko O.
Really pretty illustration and a strong, stubborn heroine. Yay!
Rose
Mar 18, 2009 Rose added it
Shelves: childrens
E Haw
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Emily Pearl
Emily Pearl marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Julia H.
Julia H. marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Lakisha Thomas
Lakisha Thomas marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
El Gosiengfiao
El Gosiengfiao marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Sarah Powell
Sarah Powell marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Christine Herman
Christine Herman marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Kimberly Karalius
Kimberly Karalius marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Anna
Anna added it
Sep 29, 2013
Lady Entropy
Lady Entropy marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
I live in North Carolina, where time moves more slowly than it did in New York. That means my day can include writing, working with new writers, yoga, and hanging OUT with my sweet teacher, Mother Nature.

I have two grown children, both teachers. They are, deliciously and, to me always surprisingly, among my two best friends on the planet.

I'm a teacher as well as an author, serving proudly on the f
More about Louise Hawes...
Black Pearls: A Faerie Strand The Vanishing Point Rosey in the Present Tense Waiting for Christopher Nelson Malone Meets the Man from Mush-Nut