Start by marking “Heard It All Before” as Want to Read:
Heard It All Before

Read Excerpt

Heard It All Before (The Montgomerys #1)

Accustomed to living the high life in Dallas, everything Jewellen Capwell knows about the hood comes from the movies. So when she agrees to accompany her best friend Renee to a Southside ball game, her only concern is keeping her cool around the peeps. She's not there to ogle men like Renee, but the moment Jewel lays eyes on Roman Montgomery, she begins to wonder just what ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Dafina (first published December 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Heard It All Before, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heard It All Before

Wuthering Heights by Emily BrontëA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieThe Help by Kathryn StockettCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Books With Multiple Perspectives
289th out of 459 books — 221 voters
Friends and Lovers by Eric Jerome DickeyUnfinished Business by Brenda JacksonThe Other Woman by Eric Jerome DickeyTorn Between Two Lovers by Carl WeberThe Midnight Hour by Brenda Jackson
African American Romance
106th out of 127 books — 86 voters

More lists with this book...

Kesha
Sep 21, 2011 Kesha rated it really liked it
Rochelle
very good book makes you want to read the whole book in one day, loved it
Jackie
Jul 15, 2015 Jackie rated it really liked it
3.5 My first romance by Michele Grant. Four first-person narrative POVs here, from two different African-American couples in Dallas. Though they're from opposite sides of the tracks, thirty year olds Jewel and Renee have been best friends since college. The story opens with Renee urging Jewel to get back into the dating scene, and dragging her to a men's basketball game on the southside (the working class, all black side of Dallas) where her latest flame, upscale banker Gregory, is playing. At ...more
Read In Colour
Jan 05, 2010 Read In Colour rated it really liked it
When you're a woman of a certain age, it can be difficult to find books that speak to you on your level. I'm not really one for chick lit or urban lit and that's what several contemporary authors are trying to push onto women. At times I feel like writing to the publishing houses, "Stop assuming that we're all 20, or what to be 20, and write to my demographic." Ladies, I'm happy to tell you that newcomer Michele Grant is writing to our demographic and she gets it!

Heard It All Before is the story
Shelita
Jun 16, 2015 Shelita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, kindle
3.5 Stars. Started slow but got interesting in the end

It took me a while to read this one. I was enjoying Rome & Jewel's story. But Renee was getting on my last nerve. So I wasn't feeling Greggy either. But about halfway through it started picking up. I was all in then.

This was an interesting group of folks. Just can't stand Renee. Beau wasn't doing nothing for me either. But since he's the next story, guess he's gonna finally grow up despite being the oldest of the Montgomery kids. Smh.
Angelia
Mar 14, 2012 Angelia rated it really liked it
3.5 star rating for this one......This was a GOOD read....could have been better.....the book was kinda drawn out and drag on and at times...Sometimes you couldn't really get into what the charcaters were trying to say NOT sure if that was the author's fault or the editors.....I have read one other book by Ms. Grant and really enjoyed that one so I will read more from her......The story line was good and the other characters were something else as well... Jewellen and Roman made a good couple ...more
Valerie
Sep 05, 2013 Valerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-only
Really really liked this book. I listened to the audiobook. It had multiple narrators, so that really made the book come alive.

It's a sexy story about friends and friends of friends becoming involved in relationships. Some of them workout good...and some ...not so good.

Lots of Drama and adult situations.
Kathy
Sep 24, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read. I had the audiobook and wanted to read something quick.. I enjoyed the characters and the story line. Jewel and Roman both strong; stuuborn and great together when there Pride didn't get in the way. Renee and Greg, better guy than she was girl. A whole menagerie of characters in this story. Good quick read.
The Book Chick
May 22, 2013 The Book Chick rated it liked it
This was some good writing and I even enjoyed the characters but it left me feeling weird about some of the things that happened and how it ended. Jewellen caved too many times and Greg cheated first!
Deena
Aug 22, 2015 Deena rated it really liked it
My first book by this author, and I loved it! I was very impressed by the author's ability to tell the stories of two couples, from each person's perspective. Loved the characters and the dialogue. I'm definitely moving on to Book 2 in the series!
Jareesa
Jun 11, 2011 Jareesa rated it really liked it
Loved this book! Definitely a page-turner; once I picked up this book, I couldn't stop reading. I really enjoyed the various storylines, and the character development. I'm eagerly anticipating a sequel.
Amiee
Jan 07, 2013 Amiee rated it really liked it
I wanted to read something light and heard great things about Grants books. This book fit the bill nicely...interesting, light, some humor mad a lot of realism. Looking forward to reading more by Grant.
Linda Boyd
My first book by this author and I really enjoyed it, I enjoyed reading about the ups and downs of the relationships of the three couples. Very realistic issues that couples go thru. I will read more books by this author.
Lisa
Feb 03, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
The author wove an interesting and detailed story giving each character not only unique characteristics, but distinct and strong voices.

Desiree
Really enjoyed it. The characters made it fun to read. I liked that the author wrote the story from the characters' perspectives.
David
Apr 22, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a Page Turner...Once I Committed to it...It kept me coming back until I finished. Look forward to more of her work.
Rachel
May 31, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This is a page turner from beginning to end. You lose yourself in the characters. Very well thought out. Very detailed. Author kept you captivated thru to the end.
LJ
Apr 06, 2011 LJ rated it it was ok
Got it for a book club - was overall "meh" to me. Wouldn't run out and get another book by this author...
Angela White
Angela White rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Yola
Yola rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Niesha White
Niesha White rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Marilyn Attidore
Marilyn Attidore rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Shernell
Shernell rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2013
April S
April S rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Angela Davis
Angela Davis rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Melissa Thompson
Melissa Thompson rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2011
Tamera
Tamera rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2015
Amy Berry
Amy Berry rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2011
Deborah Pryor
Deborah Pryor rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Tiffany Haynes
Tiffany Haynes rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2011
  • Say It Ain't So
  • A One Woman Man
  • Deadly Pursuit
  • Playing My Mother's Blues
  • Nappily Faithful (Nappily, #4)
  • The Blackbird Papers
  • Feminista
  • Diamond Life: A Novel
  • Waiting in Vain: A Novel
  • The Bum Magnet
  • Lessons From A Younger Lover
  • We Take This Man
  • Heaven Forbid (Hallelujah Love #6)
  • The Million Dollar Deception
  • Always and Forever
Michele Grant grew up wanting to be a combination of Maya Angelou, Perry Mason, and Eartha Kitt. Deciding that law books were dusty and boas not practical for everyday wear, she’s still clinging to that Maya Angelou dream.

When not laboring away on the keyboard, she can be found trying to channel her “inner B. Smith”, growing roses, trying new recipes and wondering if just one more throw pillow wor
More about Michele Grant...

The Montgomerys (3 books)
  • Pretty Boy Problems