Start by marking “Shivering Sands: Seven Years of Stories, Drinking and the World” as Want to Read:
Shivering Sands: Seven Years of Stories, Drinking and the World

Shivering Sands: Seven Years of Stories, Drinking and the World

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  13 reviews
SHIVERING SANDS is a bit of an experiment: part Greatest Hits collection, part late-night ramblings, all crackling text transmissions sent down the wire from anywhere Warren Ellis had access to a computer and something to say. These essays, stories, music reviews, the occasional chemically-induced rant, and a couple of recipes— because, for whatever reason, everyone seems ...more
Published November 27th 2009 by International Electrophonic Unit (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Shivering Sands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shivering Sands

Niklas Pivic
This is a short and very appealing read. To me, Ellis is noteworthy because of three things:

1. His world-building with words
2. His ability to build a story
3. His intelligence

Of course, the three above points mean very little when he is publishing notes from when he's been drunk or just rants like an old man with a huge love for technological gadgets, which doesn't happen rarely. Instead, it's a mix of the above with his heart that does it. To quote him from the beginning:

This Is What It Means To
Artur Coelho
Mais conhecido pelo seu trabalho como argumentista de banda desenhada, Warren Ellis é um escritor e personalidade da internet com um dedo firmemente assente no pulso da sociedade contemporânea. Shivering Sands é uma obra atípica. Durante anos, Ellis escreveu ruminâncias que espalhou em diferentes locais na internet. Este livro é uma colectânea de alguns dos seus apontamentos, colagem díspare de ideias, resmungos, visões sobre a cultura popular, impactos mediáticos, futurismo agressivo e puros vo ...more
Joshua Pruett
From my favorite writer, in comics or any media upon which he sees fit to inflict his pen and his dark purpose. Full of hilarious observations, brief, pop-fiction-singlets and a few moments of unabashed romanticism and uplifting advice for living and writing. He's angry and talented - in other words, he's well worth your time and your dime. He almost makes me want to live in the world, and for that, I'll never forgive him. (Don't mention that 'romantic' bit to him - just go pick up ORBITER with ...more
Thomas Rohde
I've followed Warren Ellis's blog for years, so I've read perhaps a third of the essays collected in here previously, but nothing was lost in rereading them in this collection. I did my best to read this book in little sips because I didn't want it to end, which was very difficult-this book begs to be gulped. A new collection couldn't come soon enough (though it'll probably be a while since he's busy writing a novel that I'll devour immediately upon publication).
Tim Niland
Ellis is a well known writer in the comics realm, and the author of the extraordinary novel Crooked Little Vein. This is a collection of short essays that originally appeared on his blog where he holds forth on everything from the comic book industry to space travel and the essence of humanity. The ribald humor that infuses his other work is on display here as well, particularly in caustic epilogues to his original essays and in his adventures in cooking.
Daniel
This is a good collection of essays, twitter postings, blog entries and emails from Warren Ellis. If you are a reader of Ellis's work, you will enjoy the reading the various essays, noting their dates and seeing how the ideas he was experimenting with in these writings made their way into his other work.
Trung
It's Warren Ellis...I read things that are written by Warren Ellis, nothing else to really say about it. If you enjoy the man's writing, you will enjoy this book. If you don't know who the man is, you need to get with the program and pull your head out of your arse and read his goddamn words.
Alex
Chance
As much as I love Warren Ellis as the king of crazed genre ideas, I like his stream of thought essays more. Engaging and thoughtful his essays pull me in even more than his best fiction.
Evan Mariah  Pettit
I find I can read straight through his non-fiction with great ease, laughing heartily, grimacing at times-and immediately wanting to to share his words with any and everyone.
Wolverina
You'll all be shocked to see another Warren Ellis fangirl find his strange blogs, rants and tweets wrapped up into book form, pretty much the best thing since sliced bread.
Nathan Friedl
Fantastic articles/blog posts/snippets from Warren. DO NOT buy it from iBooks though.
Alice
A small miscellany by Warren Ellis. Funny, thoughtful, foul. Includes recipes.
.Heliana
.Heliana marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Thaddeus Rice
Thaddeus Rice marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Joke
Joke marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Derrick
Derrick marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Elisabeth
Elisabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Kaleb Goldbeck
Kaleb Goldbeck marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Jeffry
Jeffry marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Maxoel Costa
Maxoel Costa marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Derek Lubangakene
Derek Lubangakene marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Herge
Herge marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Phillip Hopkins
Phillip Hopkins is currently reading it
May 20, 2015
  • The Book of Leviathan
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 22: Footsteps
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2005
  • Finder Library Volume 1
  • Art Direction Explained, At Last!
  • Letters
  • Design Thinking (Basic Design #8)
  • The Information Design Handbook
  • Toriko, Vol. 02
  • Yakitate!! Japan, Volume 7
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • A God Somewhere
  • 101 Things to Learn in Art School
  • Black Jack, Vol. 4
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)