Start by marking “Anne of Green Gables” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Anne of Green Gables

L.M. Montgomery

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables #1)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  452,457 ratings  ·  9,768 reviews
When Marilla Cuthbert's brother, Matthew, returns home to Green Gables with a chatty redheaded orphan girl, Marilla exclaims, "But we asked for a boy. We have no use for a girl." It's not long, though, before the Cuthberts can't imagine how they could ever do without young Anne of Green Gables--but not for the original reasons they sought an orphan. Somewhere between the t ...more
Paperback
Published April 1st 1987 by Angus & Robertson Childrens (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about Anne of Green Gables, please sign up.

Trekling Yes. Redheads have been disliked and even discriminated against for centuries.

Why?
1. Judas was supposedly a redhead (but then so was David, so go…more
Yes. Redheads have been disliked and even discriminated against for centuries.

Why?
1. Judas was supposedly a redhead (but then so was David, so go figure...).
2. The Irish are often redheads, and the British did not like the Irish.
3. Redheads are different. Augh! Different!

Also, redheads lack souls and if you look in their eyes, they steal your soul. They also have reputations for having bad tempers and being unreliable.

Really, it's a lot of nonsense.(less)
Vivian It's a part of Canada, and it's an island east of the mainland.In some editions of the book, you can find a map of the Island in the back.

…more

Shannon
Feb 27, 2009 Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Strong Girls or those are raising them
Recommended to Shannon by: Mikkee, Tiana
I don't often give books five stars and as I neared the end of this book, I gave some thought to how many stars this book deserved. I've read the Anne of Green Gables series once before - over twenty years ago. In spite of the amount of time that has elapsed, I clearly recall reading the last book in the series very slowly and thinking to myself, "I will be so sad to not be able to read about Anne anymore." When I picked up this book a few days ago to re-read it, I found within a few chapters th ...more
Zoë (readbyzoe)
I had to read this for class and really enjoyed it! Anne was my favorite character, obviously, followed very closely behind by the sweet Matthew. I grew up watching the live action movies and was obsessed with it, so I'm happy I got around to reading it!
Audrey  *Ebook and Romance Lover*
Finally: Full review written December 17th, 2013 and edited the 19t:)

***5 beautiful "Kindred Spirits" stars!!***

description

Sighs...Anne of Green Gables and her crazy doings will forever stay in my heart <3. Can there be such a crazy, beautiful, kindred spirit soul as Anne? No, I do not think so (there are two exceptions: Miranda Cheever and Penelope :D). This precious book is the first out of the many books in the Anne of Green Gables series.

I think many of you know what Anne of Green Gables is about
Raeleen Lemay
I read half of this when I was a kid, but for some reason I never finished it! I'll definitely pick it up again someday....
Samantha Penrose
Ive decided that instead of reviewing this book, I will copy my favorite passages....passages that capture what I love about the book.....
Page 180 describes Anne perfectly, "The downfall of some dear hope or plan plunged Anne into "deeps of affliction." The fulfilment thereof exalted her to dizzy realms of delight."
I love the way Anne thinks...I love the way she jumps from thing to thing in a frenzy of thoughts.....

Page 44 the chapter begins..."Do you know," said Anne confidently, "I've made up
Monica!
So about eight hours before Husband and I were supposed to leave for our honeymoon, I noticed that the only two books I had on hand were hardcover copies of I Hunt Killers and Anna Dressed in Blood, and that there was no way either of those books would hold me over for two weeks. They might not even get me through the flight.

Panic ensued.

So I flew as fast as my fingers would take me to Project Gutenberg and grabbed myself some books that I hadn’t read in a while. Like Black Beauty. And Sherlock
Jo
"I don't believe I'd really want to be a sensible person, because they are so unromantic."

A series of letters.

Dear Jo (aged 11),
Get off The Sims and pick up a copy of Anne of Green Gables and read it now. It will change your life.
Best wishes,
Jo (aged 22)

Dear Ms Montgomery,
I would like to take your beautiful prose and drape it over the washing line in my back garden to create a mystical den that only I and my friends may enter.
Who would I have to talk to for this to happen?
Ingela
Apr 02, 2015 Ingela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every young girl I know
Loved by me, 5 BIG Stars

photo chinup_zps09268183.gif
Amazing Anne Shirley you should be a role model for many girls. Brave, strong willed and with such great dreams and big imagination.

Gilbert Blythe was perhaps my first Book Boyfriend. Oh, what I was in love with him. Lovely, lovely Anne and Gilbert, what a good and nice young lovestory. Everything in these books are so wonderful. Then there's the great TV series.*) I loved it all ... and still do.

I LIKE - enormously when I was young...

photo tumblr_lmws940vaG1qcn7d7_zps748c94b0.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*) The fun and w
Lora
Jan 10, 2012 Lora rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of children's classics
Recommended to Lora by: Jo
Anne of Green Gables is the story of a young orphaned girl named, you guessed it, Anne. Born in Nova Scotia only to lose both of her parents from the fever at the age of three months, Anne has grown up in many households, never being able to stay in one place for long. As you can imagine, this has left young Anne feeling needy and unwanted.
And when siblings Marilla and Matthew decide to adopt a boy to help work on their farm, they never expect to get a girl instead. Naturally, their first instin
Maggie
DRAMATIS PERSONAE ...................................... Anne Shirley

It's not often that a book lives up to its public-shaming-if-you-haven't-read hype. This book lives up to its 104 YEAR HYPE. I almost divorced my childhood for not reading this then. So many of the words that describe Anne are ones that too many girls are running away from today -- imaginative, impertinent, outspoken, smart, driven. If you have a problem with them, you can take it up with the slate being cracked over your head.
Franklin Peach
To be brutally honest, I was disappointed. I found Anne quite often to be annoying and found my self skimming through many of her rambling soliloquies. Many (especially those of the female gender I suppose) may find her apt to talk ad nauseum to be one of her most enduring qualities, I however did not.

I discovered that it was difficult for me to continue reading once the characters had been established, that is I had no motivation to continue reading as there appeared to be no underlying plot to
Sonia Gomes
Nov 16, 2010 Sonia Gomes rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like the simple things in life
Recommended to Sonia by: Gutenberg e-books
I loved Anne, really loved her. I have read reviews which say that Anne (spelled with an e !)is silly, vain, hot-tempered. Oh yes, she is all that and much more. Anne is a human being brimming with dreams and most of all ready to enjoy life, not in a jaded fashion, but how it should be enjoyed, she loves every tiny fern, every little flower, even puffed sleeves! Her capacity to enjoy life is amazing. That is what Mathew must have seen when he was taking a skinny, redhead girl 'home' A tempest ha ...more
Becky
Let me just say up front: I loved this book.

I tried reading this when I was young, and I couldn't get into it. I was fairly prejudiced against it as well, because apparently I fancied myself to be some great judge of literature at 8 years old, and any time this book was mentioned I'd start right up with the "Oh, I couldn't get into that book... it's boring..." spiel and just write it off completely.

Luckily, a combination of factors converged at the right moment in time to allow for me to put a
Alex
An Enchanting and Spellbinding Story of Childhood

There is something enchanting in the innocence of children and their extraordinary imaginations. We follow Anne, a hot-tempered, fiery, passionate, and highly imaginative girl, on her adventures on a small island in Canada.

It doesn't matter how old you are, this book will touch you. The magic of this book is in the imperfections, trials, and tribulations of our protagonist Anne. The reader follows her on her adventures and mishaps, with much lau
Ronyell
Anne

Now, I will admit that I was actually introduced to “Anne of Green Gables” through the animated TV series that used to come on PBS and I remembered liking this TV series when I was little. Now, I finally had the chance to actually read L.M. Montgomery’s all-time classic book “Anne of Green Gables” and I was surely not disappointed with the results!

Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert wanted
K.D. Absolutely
Dec 22, 2012 K.D. Absolutely rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books (Children)
Shelves: 501, childrens, classics
What I like about this book is the "humaness" of the 11-y/o Anne. She's a natural. She tries to triumph over the odds, i.e., being an orphan, having a silly red hair and being unwanted by the lady of the house where she lives after she is sent out by the orphanage. She wants to fit in and by her loquaciousness, precociousness and sheer breadth of imagination, she is accepted and finally loved.

The book is easy to read that is typical of children's books. However, Montomery's main strength is her
Tiffany
Sep 24, 2008 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: fiction
Jonathan Stroud
My daughter loved this book over the summer, one of the classics I’ve never read and it’s now firmly on my To Read list. JS
Schuyler
On Saturday, I found out Jonathan Crombie (Gilbert Blythe) had passed away of a brain hemorrhage. While I never wanted to marry him, I loved everything he stood for in the Anne books--truth, love, faithfulness--one of those Jimmy Bean type heroes that never do anything stunning, but prove by their uprightness in family and community that providing for their hearth fire is the most worthy calling they could think of. I loved his grin, and his 'soorry' and his teasing.

So today, in memory of his s
April
All of my reviews are spoiler free (unless stated otherwise) so you can go ahead and read my review!

Plot: .5
Anne of Green Gables follows a young orphan named Anne Shirley who finds herself being taken to what she thought was going to be a home for her, but it turns out that the characters who sent for her actually wanted a boy. She spends her time trying to win them over so they will adopt her and in the process, she makes lifelong friends and finds a family.
This is such a beautiful story. It d
Becky
Montgomery, L.M. 1908. Anne of Green Gables.

I first 'discovered' Anne Shirley through watching the 1985 and 1987 films by Kevin Sullivan/Wonderworks when they aired on my local PBS station. As far as I'm concerned, these two are the ONLY films that are 'real.' Meaning that the monstrosity of a film released in 2000 doesn't exist at all. It's something that should be avoided at all costs. It is evil, evil, pure evil.

It would have been around sixth or seventh grade (1989-1990 or 1990-1991) that I
Melanie
Mar 08, 2015 Melanie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every living soul
Reread on 08/03/15: I'll never get sick of Anne. Changing my rating to 5 stars because I love this book so dearly. Anne and Gilbert are my OTP <3 <3 <3
Kim

While listening to the audiobook of this novel over the past few days, I started wondering just how old I was when I first read Anne of Green Gables . I don’t know for sure, but the timing of various events in my life leads me to conclude that I was about eight or nine and certainly no older than ten. Unlike many women my age, I have not re-read it since. I did not develop the passion for Anne Shirley and her life shared by many of my contemporaries and by women up to three generations older tha
Rachel
In a word: Trite. I know that sounds snobby, but come on. Anne is the epitome of a Mary Sue character. Awh, poor thing, she's too skinny, and her red hair is too unique, and she's just so quirky! Isn't she just the perfect little flawed heroine!? Actually, no. She's obnoxious. Even as a child I couldn't buy in to this garbage.
Brigid
RTC.

Excelllllllllent. I don't know why I didn't read this before now. It's so cute and fluffy and I don't even fucking understand why it works and why I like it and this sentence is really really long.
Rubi
Anne is the best, simply THE BEST. (I always remember Tina Turner when I say this eheh).

I've fallen in love with this book. It has made me laugh, cry (yeah, I know it is not so easy), think a lot and analyse my thoughts and all my surroundings... I think I am a little bit like Anne myself. Always immagining things and with my head full of thoughts and tales.

The development of Anne's personality has been gorgeous, although it is a pity that she grew up so fast. I loved little Anne, and her "funny
Afrah
لا أضع غالباً خمس نجوم لكتاب ولكني هنا أضعها وبسخاء.. فعندما أتمهل في قراءة كتاب ما وأطيل وقت قراءتي له خوفاً من انهاءه، واستمتع بكل لحظة اقضيها معه، ثم اشعر اني فارقت شخصاً عزيزاً على قلبي بمجرد إنهاءه، فهو يستححق بذلك أكثر من خمس نجوم وبجدارة!
بإمكاني القول أني استمتعت بقراءة هذه الرواية الراائعة بكل معنى الكلمة، ابدعت الكاتبة - لوسي مود مونتغمري - في روايتها هذه، فليس من السهل أن تتقمص شخصية طفل وتتحدث كالاطفال وتمثل براءته بهذه البراعة.

بطلتنا (آن) ملحوظة صغيرة، عند نطق الإسم لا تنس مد الالف
Jinky
What a delightful book! Reading this truly made me happy. Anne's character was a hoot!! I found myself giggling throughout the book. Her quirkiness was endearing. Her view of life was fascinating. She had the spunk that you can't help but love! She brought the kid out of me and it felt wonderful.

I loved everything about this book. The beautiful setting, the phenomenal cast of characters, the storyline, the ease of read, etc. It also had everything as well ... adventure, fun, laughs, imagination,
Hippo dari Hongkong
Abis baca buku iseng-iseng baca review orang laen dan jadi kaget sendiri karena dari friendlist gw cuman ada satu laki-laki aja yang udah baca buku ini *aki-aki bule veteran PD II kelahiran tahun 30an lage* Wah, iseng lagi mriksa tiga halaman orang2 yang ngasi review, cuman nemu satu laki-laki (bule lagi). Sempat terlintas dikepala.. Halah, jangan-jangan gw baca chicklit lage neh.. hehehe, bodo ah, yang penting gue suka buku ini.

jadi begini ceritanya...
Anne itu anak perempuan yatim piatu berumur
Oscar
A finales de los 80, cuando sólo existían dos cadenas de televisión, la primera, en su horario de sobremesa, emitió una serie memorable: 'Ana de las Tejas Verdes'. El argumento, los paisajes, la música, los personajes, todo era maravilloso. Posteriormente, he vuelto a verla y de nuevo me ha encantado, esta vez con el añadido de una cierta nostalgia por el tiempo transcurrido.

Tal vez sea este el problema, que tengo la historia tan metida dentro que no he llegado a disfrutar enteramente de este li
Balderdash Book Club: Anne of Green Gables 20 4 Jul 25, 2015 03:58PM
Short &amp; Sweet...: Anne of Green Gables 68 53 Jul 23, 2015 10:49PM
Never too late to...: * July 2015 - Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery 14 15 Jul 19, 2015 08:10AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery 4 17 Jul 18, 2015 05:00PM
What would you rather be? 65 452 Jul 07, 2015 06:20AM
Book or Movie; Yo...: July Classic - Anne of Green Gables 1 1 Jul 02, 2015 07:27PM
The Period Drama ...: Anne of Green Gables (series) 2 4 Jun 18, 2015 06:42PM
  • By the Shores of Silver Lake  (Little House, #5)
  • Betsy Was a Junior (Betsy-Tacy, #7)
  • A Little Princess
  • Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins, #2)
  • Daddy-Long-Legs (Daddy-Long-Legs, #1)
  • The Sky Is Falling (The Guests of War Trilogy, #1)
  • All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #1)
  • Time Enough for Drums
  • A Girl of the Limberlost (Limberlost, #2)
  • Swallows and Amazons (Swallows and Amazons, #1)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...

Anne of Green Gables (9 books)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6)
  • Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables, #7)
  • Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)
  • The Road to Yesterday (Anne of Green Gables, #9)
The Complete Anne of Green Gables Boxed Set (Anne of Green Gables, #1-8) Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3) Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2) Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5) Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)

“It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.” 2547 likes
“Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.” 2281 likes