Start by marking “The Very Lazy Ladybug” as Want to Read:
The Very Lazy Ladybug

The Very Lazy Ladybug

Most ladybugs fly from place to place but not theVery Lazy Ladybug! She would rather sleep all day and all night. But when she decides it's time to move to a more comfortable place, she has to find some way to travel. She tries to hitch a ride on a kangaroo, a tiger, a crocodile, and others, but none of them work well for her until she hops onto an elephant's trunk. When t ...more
Published February 6th 2008 by Tiger Tales (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Very Lazy Ladybug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Lazy Ladybug

Samera Jamil
Oct 06, 2013 Samera Jamil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good book for early years and maybe year 3 too. I enjoyed the book due the exciting colourful images, assorted fonts and sizes and extremely interesting content. The story is based on a lazy ladybird who is looking for a place to sleep. She travels from one animal to another in order to find a suitable place but some the animals seem to have different characteristics which do not allow the ladybird to rest in peace. Finally she learns to fly and rests peacefully on a flower.

This book can be us
بثينة العيسى

my sons really love this story. it makes them laugh alot at the end :)
Big Book Little Book
This is a very popular book in our house. It's well written and we love the illustrations. But the most exciting thing is… the sound effects! They are just fabulous! Even my (much) older boys hover around when this book is being read and have each taken the time to read it to the younger ones before. I'm convinced it's because 'they' want to press the buttons!

The lazy ladybird just wants to sleep and is so lazy that she doesn't know how to fly and so she hops on to various animals in order to fi
Raine
Jun 28, 2015 Raine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book is part of a Tiger Tales collection we received as a gift from grandma. They are all beautifully constructed, with thick spongy covers, shiny metallic cover art, thicker than usual glossy pages, and absolutely gorgeously colorful illustrations. The book covers are sturdy enough to be handled even by our 8 month old, though I don’t recommend letting a little one close to the inside pages, as she has already torn a few pages in her excitement. They are good quality, but not a board book. ...more
Jessica
Apr 18, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this in both the pop-up and... 2D version, both of which are great. In this simple picture book, a lazy ladybug doesn't know how to fly (too lazy to learn, I suppose). So she tries to hitch a ride on other animals, with mixed results (the kangaroo is too bouncy, the bear is scratching himself too much). This is a nice way to introduce different animals. It's also an easy to follow story with a pattern and some repetition. The elephant sneeze at the end is guaranteed to produce some lau ...more
Robert
Cute little story about a lazy ladybug who likes to sleep. Because of this, she never learned to fly. She decides she wants to go somewhere else so she hitches rides on animals who pass by. Each animal has an action verb that describes his movement. Good words (ambled), but each animal is deficient as the ladybug is unable to sleep. She thinks she has it figured out with the elephant until . . .

Cute.

I'm taking this into my fourth graders in the morning to help them identify verbs and use them pr
Raffaela Infante
This book had a lot of different animals. It had pictures of each animal and what noises they made and if they lived on land or water. The lady bug was too lazy and couldn't fly so tried to land on each animal in hoping to fly. At the end, the lady bug finally flew. The book even went over twice what each animal looked like and whether they were on land or water and what noise they made. I enjoyed the pictures in the book as well.
Lindsay
This is another cute story featuring ladybugs. I used it for a ladybug program I did for both Spanish and bilingual story times.

This is a story about a ladybug who is lazy. Because she sleeps all day, she has never learned how to fly. One day, she decides she wants to sleep somewhere else, so she hitches a ride onto different animals to find a good spot. When she lands of the elephant, she's in for a big surprise!
Vanessa Henry
Mar 20, 2014 Vanessa Henry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic story suitable for early years about a lazy ladybird who cannot be bothered to fly. The story can be used to introduce animals as it has fantastic illustrations. All of the animals introduced are shown engaging with actions which they are well known for. This is a good story for roleplay with young children and works well as an assembly piece for the foundation stage!
Christine Ridout
Feb 19, 2013 Christine Ridout rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nice
A lazy ladybug has never learned to fly so she hitches rides on other animals: a kangaroo’s pouch, a tiger’s back and an alligator’s tail. Finally, she sits on an elephant’s trunk and is blown away when he sneezes. Guess what? The ladybug suddenly learns to fly. A cute story that worked well with kids with developmental delays. Very vivid drawings.
Kira Richardson
Really cute illustrations with fun characters. I think that this book would be great for a play and even for students to rewrite and add there own characters. The positioning of the text is interesting and fun and the students would enjoy reading this book with its bright pictures and engaging story.
Melissa Gregory
I liked this book. It was read to a Pre-school class I was observing and they all liked it. They were learning about insects at the time, so it was very easy for them to understand. I think I would use this book with youger students because it is an easy read, but it does touch many topics, so it could be read to refect many different subjects.
Caroline Barnett
A child in my placement read this book to me. He was so excited when the Lazy Ladybug finally flew. He said that that was his favorite part of the book! The illustrations were very colorful and fun. The author in this book plays with the text, some word such as swish, and swing are enlarged and show movement to illustrate the meaning of the words.
Jonathan
Aug 02, 2007 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Journey with the lazy ladybug as she ponders a number of different animals to travel on instead of learning to fly. Finally she decides on an elephant, only to ... Well, you'll have to just read it for yourself.
Asho
Jun 15, 2012 Asho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading this simple picture book to my baby. The illustrations are great for a young baby because they are very bright and bold, and the amusing, repetitive story introduces various animals and their movements.
Brooke
Apr 17, 2013 Brooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was so much fun with the ladybug puppet. It would be even better with the other puppets, but I didn't want to overdo it. The kids can interact with the animals. They love the tiger roar! Fun!
Mandy
Jul 28, 2013 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
(4.5 stars)

There was a ladybug who was very lazy and liked to sleep all he time. This posed a problem because she couldn't fly and wanted to go somewhere. Maybe an animal passing by can help?

Would be great coupled with The Very Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle.
Taylor
Mar 26, 2012 Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, spring book. Great book to explain willpower to young children.
Shala Howell
Oct 19, 2007 Shala Howell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
super cute
Tori
Apr 23, 2008 Tori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cool-kids-books
I <3 the lazy ladybug. This set was a gift from my mom. The hardback is signed and the plush is adorable. Saving it for my offspring!
Beverly
Apr 19, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Very cute and perfect for reading aloud to large groups.
Stefanie
Bugs, progression story
Sheila
Nov 27, 2015 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2015
I actually read the original version which doesn't appear on Goodreads (weird) and comes with a safe-for-all-ages ladybug toy. My 6 mo old niece approved of the toy especially. Lots of nomming.
Nicole
Jun 19, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_book
Very cute story, and fun to read aloud...
This is a review of the regular book, not the pop-up.

Megan
Sep 26, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't count how many times Luke asked for this one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Who Hops?
  • Bugs! Bugs! Bugs!
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • The Wheels on the Bus
  • The Baby Beebee Bird
  • Cookie Count: A Tasty Pop-up
  • To Market, To Market
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Fall is Not Easy
  • Fidgety Fish
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • Ten Naughty Little Monkeys
  • Lemons Are Not Red (Ala Notable Book(Awards)) (Neal Porter Books)
  • The Crunching Munching Caterpillar