Start by marking “Almost Midnight Almost Midnight Almost Midnight” as Want to Read:
Almost Midnight Almost Midnight Almost Midnight

Almost Midnight Almost Midnight Almost Midnight

"The haunting true story of a triple murder in the Ozarks, two lovers on the lam, and a death-row inmate saved by the pope. "
On a spring day more than ten years ago, sixty-nine-year-oldLloyd Lawrence was gunned down in rural Missouri. The shooter also turned his twelve-gauge shotgun on Lawrence's wife and their paraplegic grandson. The crime took place in a region known mo
Published January 13th 2004 by Broadway Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Midnight Almost Midnight Almost Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Midnight Almost Midnight Almost Midnight

Janice
Feb 25, 2015 Janice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost Midnight, by Michael W. Cuneo, is a well researched investigative documentary centering on a little known local boy turned outlaw whose execution is miraculous commuted by intervention from Pope John Paul II and Missouri Governor Mel Carnahan.

For anyone outside the southwest Missouri Ozarks, or not an advocate for the abolition of capital punishment, this journalistic gem might go unnoticed. Having lived in Greene, Taney and Stone Counties, where much of the saga unfolds, I found it intri
Js Stewart
May 16, 2014 Js Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Cuneo masterfully takes this worldwide news story and humanizes it with indepth profiles of the principle characters. Beyond the "just the facts" stories in the media, Cuneo lays out the twists and turns of Mease's struggle with his own demons that seemed destine to seal his fate. The story is told against the backdrop of the isolated and sometimes dangerous Ozarks and its hardscrabble culture of poverty, crime and straight-laced take no prisoners Pentecostal religion. An amazing story.
Janeandjerry
Aug 08, 2016 Janeandjerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know that if you haven't read this book yet then I would like to say run and get your book now for it is that good. I actually found this book on my overdrive app from the library while searching for another book and I'm glad I did read it...
This is based on true events that happened in and around the Ozarks of Missouri and not to far from where we live as a matter of fact. I have always enjoyed reading books that take place in or around our area and with this one it sure hit the spot.
Sue Callaghan
Aug 09, 2012 Sue Callaghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely well written, a hard-to-put-down kind of book. You feel like you are getting to know each character very very well.... made me want to meet Darrell and Mary.......
Rita
Jan 10, 2016 Rita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author is great! The book is so well presented. There's no author ego. There is obviously a lot of research of not only the crime but also the local, the culture, the politics, the religiousness, etc. It is framed out so the reader feels the moment, the heat, the paranoia etc. It has to be one of the best true crime books I have read. I would live to have the author rewrite some of the crap written about some really great cases!
Nelda
Apr 09, 2009 Nelda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because a friend I usually trust raved about it. It was the dullest book I've encountered in a long time--the true crime story about a murdered in Arkansas whose death sentence is commutued by the Gov at the request of Pope John Paul II. It reads like a journalist wrote it and my final thoughts were "who cares?"
Michelle Cleaver
Feb 07, 2016 Michelle Cleaver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I read this book because it happened in the area around where I grew up. My friends knew Darrell's sons. I found the book interesting.
Debbie
May 25, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing
This book is about murder but it reads like a fiction book not like other true crime books. I found myself wanting to get to the end to see if everything happened the way I wanted it to,
Monika
Monika rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2011
Debby
Debby rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2009
Stacey
Stacey rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Patrick Moreland
Patrick Moreland rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Jesse
Jesse rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2011
Anne Blair
Anne Blair rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Suzie Flohr
Suzie Flohr rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2016
Olivia
Olivia rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2013
Lacey
Lacey rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Johnice
Johnice rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Mary Lou
Mary Lou rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2007
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2015
Jules Morris
Jules Morris rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2013
Jwhite
Jwhite rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2015
Ned Mozier
Ned Mozier rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2013
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Bobbi
Bobbi rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2012
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2007