Logic Made Easy: How to Know When Language Deceives You

Logic Made Easy: How to Know When Language Deceives You

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"Professor Bennett entertains as she instructs," writes Publishers Weekly about the penetrating yet practical Logic Made Easy. This brilliantly clear and gratifyingly concise treatment of the ancient Greek discipline identifies the illogical in everything from street signs to tax forms. Complete with puzzles you can try yourself, Logic Made Easy invites readers to identify...more
Published July 17th 2005 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Logic Made Easy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Logic Made Easy

Monq
This is a well written introduction to Logic & it's standing history as far as it's understood in the west. The book goes more for brevity than depth but presents everything in an interesting mix of history, theory & psychological findings for what makes logic work. The study of Logic itself, whether linguistic or symbolic, is not without it's practice. If one person could read one book & understand Logic, that book is either incredible or the reader is a savant. I felt the ending wa...more
Cain S. Pinto
Excellent history of logic, terrible philosophy of logic. For a more elaborate account of my misgivings about the philosophic tendency of this book see :

"the Sophistic turn of attaching value to thought only against what one was enabled to earn by it led many philosophers, and linguists, to develop the peculiar notion that the use of crisp formal logical laws was not amenable to normal language uses. Logic is a tool of oppression, realism is murder!, many of these cognoscenti said. Analytic ath...more
fondre
Reason, Type and Setting: I chose this book this non-fiction book because I have always felt somewhat frustrated with my thinking. Most of the time it feels like I know so many facts but I lack the ability to analyze information rationally and draw conclusions from there. I also have trouble trying to think on my own, and as I grow into an adult I think it is important to be able to set up logical principles in my cognition for clearer thinking. Therefore, I bought this book so that I would be...more
Heather Pagano
This was pretty dense reading for me, but I did get a handle on several useful concepts. The book introduces some nuts and bolts of logic, but also gives context for what it teaches, explaining how a given topic fits into the history of logic and how the topic has practical applications for better everyday problem solving and communication. I found discussion of how language gets in the way of logical reasoning particularly interesting, and the examples of common reasoning errors were cool.
Robert
Pretty fun read although a little more rigorous than I am used to. Been reading lots of crap. But this book is very very useful in conversation and reading, especially the news these days. How to cut through faulty or untrue arguments has always been a necessity. Using logic is something reasoning people use to understand what is around them.
Aleisha Z Coleman
Jul 25, 2011 Aleisha Z Coleman rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: several people
Recommended to Aleisha Z by: me
yeah, right. still not easy...but logical! the thing i most like about this book is it names all the types of logic equations, so that if i ever became logical i would know the names of the logic. words like syllogisms, disjunctions, conjunctions, negations, conditions, biconditionals, fallacies, paradoxes and fuzzy logic. the reason i gave the book a three instead of a 4 would be the lack of multiple examples for dumb people like me....or even more explicit explanations for the examples given....more
Mark
Guess what? Small children have trouble with certain types of logic puzzles. People intuitively care more about whether statement is true than whether it follows logically from previous statements. People don't always spell out exactly what they mean and all the terms and conditions when they tell their kids to eat their vegetables. And because of this everything is tragically flawed and can only be solved by delving into the differences between Venn diagrams and Euler's circles.

Bennett meanders...more
Sharon
I actually don't believe that Logic can be made exactly easy, but this book makes it more understandable. I highly recommend it to anyone who would appreciate a clearer grasp of the mistakes we make in thinking. It is not a long book, but takes quite a bit of thought to get through it.
Scott Rachui
Good book to introduce readers to logical reasoning. This is not an easy subject, and there is much technical language to get through. But this book avoids most of that and provides a gentle, yet thorough, introduction to the subject.

A warning in advance...this book is a bit like reading a math book. You have to be interested in the subject to care about it, or benefit from it. And like math, you have to use the concepts or they'll erode over time.

If you're interested in an introductory course o...more
Sara
I bought this book with the intent of enhancing my capacity for logical thought. I like that Bennett offers a history of the logical thought she explains. Most explanation is clear and useful, but in a few places explanation was not delivered in a way to make concepts clear to people unfamiliar with them (e.g., the section on Boolean logic), which didn't make logic so easy as the title suggests. As other people have noted, this book would probably be useful for someone preparing for the GRE or o...more
Stephen
Although it offered historical and psychological contexts, the book did not present the in-depth explanations of syllogistic constructs and Boolean logic that I had hoped it would. Additionally, detailed discussion of symbolic logic was near-absent. I enjoyed the book, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is serious about philosophical logic beyond its applications on the LSAT or GRE.
Λουκιανὸς
Nothing new if you paid attention in your college logic class. Accessible.
John
Mar 14, 2008 John added it
This book will probably do more to make you aware of the existence of fallacies and modes of deduction than make you more adept at spotting fallacies and correctly deducing. Some history is interwoven with examples and explanations. Writing style is far from that of a textbook.
Cindy
I'm not sure why I picked this up - most likely because I know nothing about logic and this looked like a good introduction. I got lost in a few parts, but mostly it was friendly and easy to understand. Can't say it's changed my life, but was a nice detour. (March 10, 2007)
Heather the Hillbilly Banjo Queen
I marked this as currently reading because every once in a while I am ready to read it and go back to it. It makes my head swim a little sometimes and then I need to take a long break. But I really like what I have read and it is useful.
Ana Wisbeck
Interesting topic. Good job on explaning basic logic.
She cites the same studies a few times throughout the book but treats them everytime like they are brand new, very odd, does she not expect you to read the whole thing?
Brian Pagano
Not as rigorous as many other logic texts, but somewhat entertaining nonetheless. This book could serve a high level refresher in basic, western logic or as a palatable introduction if followed by deeper books after.
Dane
This was a fun read. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is more an exposition on modern theories surrounding how humans reason incorrectly than on formal logic, but the book nevertheless is informative.
Viswanath
Very good to understand how to apply logic in day to day life
David
Another tolerable logic book, if you can tolerate it.
Phil
Didn't make it THAT easry.
Jessica Schmidt
Jessica Schmidt marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Adam Kupersmith
Adam Kupersmith marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Brandy J. Martin
Brandy J. Martin marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
David Abraham
David Abraham marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Joe Pearson
Joe Pearson is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2014
  • Nonsense: Red Herrings, Straw Men and Sacred Cows: How We Abuse Logic in Our Everyday Language
  • How to Win Every Argument: The Use and Abuse of Logic
  • Being Logical: A Guide to Good Thinking
  • The Mathematical Universe: An Alphabetical Journey Through the Great Proofs, Problems, and Personalities
  • How to Prove It: A Structured Approach
  • Political Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction
  • Richard Dawkins: How a Scientist Changed the Way We Think
  • From Archimedes to Hawking: Laws of Science and the Great Minds Behind Them
  • The Infinite Book: A Short Guide to the Boundless, Timeless and Endless
  • Hamlet's Mill: An Essay Investigating  the Origins of Human Knowledge & Its Transmission Through Myth
  • Introduction to Logic