Start by marking “The Apprentice (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Apprentice (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #2)

The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles #2)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  28,473 ratings  ·  1,250 reviews
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Tess Gerritsen's Last to Die.

The bestselling author of The Surgeon returns—and so does that chilling novel’s diabolical villain. Though held behind bars, Warren Hoyt still haunts a helpless city, seeming to bequeath his evil legacy to a student all-too-diligent . . . and all-too-deadly.

THE APPRENTICE

It is a boiling hot Boston s
Published August 26th 2008 by Ballantine Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Apprentice, please sign up.

Emily The author recommends reading them in order. Please refer to her comments in her own blog here: http://www.tessgerritsen.com/what-is-.... I read my…moreThe author recommends reading them in order. Please refer to her comments in her own blog here: http://www.tessgerritsen.com/what-is-.... I read my first one out of order, then decided to come back and start with #1. Now I've read #2, and I do agree that these should be read in order as the plots and characters continue to develop, and past events are referred to extensively (at least in book #2).(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Damien This book is self contained... you'll know who did it

Carolyn
With the serial killer known as the Surgeon behind bars, Detective Jane Rizzoli can breathe easy and get on with her life. Or can she? When a murder victim is found with his wife clearly tortured and abducted, there is a chilling signature of the Surgeon's work and perhaps a hint that he is not entirely finished with Jane.

A very creepy, thriller which manages to raise the tension to the max without a host of murders. An excellent follow up to The Surgeon and an introduction to forensic pathologi
I'm a big fan of the Rizzoli & Isles tv show and with the fall hiatus, I decided to start reading the actual books. Full disclosure, I skipped The Surgeon (#1 in this series) because, honestly, Maura Isles is not in it. Sorry. Not interested.

I can definitely tell you, if you've watched the tv show, you can jump into this book first without any problems. The changes that were made for the tv show are, in my opinion, fairly minor in terms of characters and their relationships to each other (fo
Liz
Raíla Soares
When I finished reading The Surgeon, I was way too excited to put my hands on the next book of this series and read it. Unfortunatelly, I only could do it months later, but I did it well. I read The Apprentice in one day and a half. This rarely happens! I have seen that it's only a sugestion for you to read the series in order. I don't think so, though. I believe I wouldn't have understood it well if I haven't read The Surgeon first.

This second one is basically a sequel for The Surgeon. The "new
Tea Time with Marce
From my blog

My Review - 2 1/2 Not my cup of tea

What a total let down, I cannot believe this was written by the same author, The Surgeon was almost perfection in my mind, so to get a total boring, what was the point follow up was beyond disappointing.

This read like a debut, repetition continuously. I understand the details needed for those that didn't read The Surgeon but even if you didn't it became insanely unnecessary.

There was no mystery to me in this book, so The Surgeon escapes from prison
Boof
After reading the utterly brilliant first book in Gerritsen’s Rizzoli and Isles series, The Surgeon, I couldn’t wait a single second more to get stuck into the next in the series. I hoped it would be every bit as good……and it was! Infact, as I write this I am half way through #8 in the series (never before have I read any single authors books back-to-back until now).

The Apprentice is the moniker given to a new serial killer stalking wealthy couples in Boston, a killer who has a strikingly simila
Natalie
It's summer again, and a new body's been found just outside of the Boston precinct. Korsak calls Rizzoli, believing as she does this has something to do with the Surgeon--even though he's behind bars. Even though she knows he's behind bars, the way everything is laid out at the crime scene convinces her that he's involved somehow.

Too bad no one else believes that. Convinced Jane is obsessed with the Surgeon, Special Agent Dean of the FBI tries to get her removed from the case. But even when thei
D.C. Menard
Just like the surgeon, The Apprentice kept my attention the entire way through. Which I was actually quite surprised about, considering Jane Rizzoli, the main character of the series, was one of my least favorite characters in The Surgeon. I went into this book worrying that I wouldn't like it because of my dislike for the main character. Instead, by showing us more about her, and letting us into her head for the entire book, rather than the snippets of the last one, I grew to respect her, and m ...more
Punk
Thriller. The serial killer known as the Surgeon is back to menace Boston Homicide Detective Jane Rizzoli, but Rizzoli is way too stubborn and angry to let him get away with that for long.

The first book in this series really pissed me off. Its portrayal of rape and gender was completely offensive and the clumsy writing and unsympathetic characters only made the problem worse.

Gerritsen corrects some of those mistakes in this book. For example, the text does a better job of distinguishing between
Neide Parafitas
Mais uma vez a cidade de Boston volta a ser acometida por crimes hediondos que deixam os seus habitantes absolutamente aterrorizados!!

As vítimas são casais abastados e enquanto a esposa é torturada, o marido é obrigado a assistir! O modus operandi é bastante semelhante ao do "Cirurgião", o que leva a crer que é este o culpado! Mas o "cirurgião" está preso e não há qualquer possibilidade de que tenha sido este a cometer estes crimes.

Assim sendo, só há uma explicação... "O cirurgião" tem um admira
John
Dr. Isles makes her first although brief appearances in this the second of the Rizzoli and Isles series. It is a year after Detective Jane Rizzoli's encounter with the serial killer known as The Surgeon and it still haunts her. She is called in on another murder when detectives find aspects of the crime similar to details in the Surgeon case. It is soon apparent that another serial killer is active in Boston, but this one is stalking couples. They call him The Dominator because he likes to bind ...more
Siobhan
This is the second in the Rizzoli and Isles series, and the book where Isles makes her debut. Isles doesn’t play the biggest of roles in this book but we finally get to meet her, something that will please anyone who was confused (or disappointed) by her lack of presence in the first book.

As with the first in the series, The Apprentice has a great storyline which will keep you entertained throughout. With great characters from the first book and new interesting characters you will be on the edg
Mel
I really don't care for medical thrillers. Like csi this book suffers from the problem of everyone standing around and explaining their jobs and the technicalities of what they found.

I love the show that is based on these books and wanted to read this one too because it had Maura in. I was amused to see she was a goth! But she is not the adorable geeky Maura of the show. Half way in and she has no personality at all.

Maura's isn't the only disappointing characterisation Korzak is horrible and ho
Simon Jenner
I read 'The Surgeon' before this and enjoyed it and I wondered where the author would go from there. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with this as, whilst the main character continued to be fleshed out, the rest of the book was very 'samey' and never really took off for me.

I was especially disappointed with the ending, which for me was wrapped up far to quickly and conveniently and seemed like it had been rattled off to get the book finished. All of the 'samey' build up resulted in a
Stacey
I prefer to read series books in order, however, my local library didn't have the 1st book in the Rizzoli series on audio CD so I waivered and went ahead with The Apprentice. I had already listened to another book in this series and it didn't matter that I hadn't read the previous ones.
The Apprentice, however, constantly refers to events and characters in The Surgeon. I didn't feel lost or that I couldn't understand the full effect of what was going on, but rather, I felt like there were secret
Lynn Spencer
3.5 stars This is part of the Rizzoli and Isles series, but be warned: If you're expecting the books to be like the TV show, you're in for one heck of a surprise. The characters don't bear too much resemblance to their TV counterparts and there's definitely less humor woven into the story. I knew this going in so it wasn't so much of a jolt for me but I could see some being a bit surprised.

This book follows after the action in The Surgeon, and we find Jane Rizzoli on the track of a new serial ki
TheGeekyBlogger
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Purchased: Purchased Audiobook from Audible

What I Loved: This was the 2nd book in this series and it was firing on all cylinders. From beginning to end, the case was intriguing and chilling. Perhaps the best part of the book was the continuation of the story between the Surgeon and Rizzoli. It was wonderful to watch the story unfold from both of their perspectives in a unique, emotional, and raw way. I won't give away any spoilers but I will say that the story takes ma
Gary
Another well plotted story

This tightly plotted novel returns to familiar ground covered on The Surgeon, the first book in this series. There are new twists and at no point did this story feel like a rehash.
Part of what makes these stories work is the author's ability to create realistic, flawed and realistic characters that the reader can care about.
On the surface this seems like another serial killer novel, but as the author demonstrates, it's all about the writing. There are several gripping s
Sarah Goodwin
I really wish people would stop saying that this book is transphobic just because a serial killer who hacks women's organs out of them is taking their uteruses as a way of stealing 'what makes them women'.

He's a mental case - he probably hasn't brushed up on the social implications of defining femininity by an internal organ.

Now that that's out of the way -

This was a fairly odd book, the final 'showdown' with the killer was over in less than four pages. Most of the book was spent in Rizzoli co
Fergie
Another spellbinding, chilling rouser from the queen of crime thrillers. Tess Gerritsen knows how to keep her audience on the edge of their seats – The Apprentice doesn’t lag or dull in any aspect. If you want to keep up with Gerritsen’s sharp, intelligent mind, keen attention needs to be paid to each thrilling page.

This is the second book in the Rizzoli & Isles series – the book that introduces the character of Dr. Maura Isles, but there’s no mistaking that the book’s plot belongs solely t
Marco
I liked this book in general but it was also disappointing. I absolutely loved The Surgeon, its plot, characters, pace, villain, emotions, the issues portrayed and its medical aspect.

The Apprentice is not a bad book but compared to the first book in the series, it's a weaker installment, in my opinion.

In The Surgeon we get to read from various POVs (Rizzoli, Thomas, Chatherine and the villain's). In this second book, we only have Rozzoli and the villain's. I really liked to read from Thomas an
Lisa
I enjoyed this book but it was a bit of a let down after reading The Surgeon. It was a slower moving book for me and I didn't care for how neat and tidy the end was. Still a good one though. I will continue reading this series.
Jearl Rugh
This is the good doctor's second offering in her Rizzoli and Isles series. It gets more into Rizzoli's head than the first volume and develops her character. Ever more the woman in a man's world, working twice as hard to get just half the credit. The Apprentice is a continuation of The Surgeon, even though Rizzoli put that perp in prison in the first book. Now the question is who is mimicking him and why. Or is it a copycat at all?

This is a fast paced read with lots of action, investigation, tw
Ladysmartypants
Inhalt:
It is a boiling hot Boston summer. Adding to the city’s woes is a series of shocking crimes, in which wealthy men are made to watch while their wives are brutalized. A sadistic demand that ends in abduction and death.

The pattern suggests one man: serial killer Warren Hoyt, recently removed from the city’s streets. Police can only assume an acolyte is at large, a maniac basing his attacks on the twisted medical techniques of the madman he so admires. At least that’s what Detective Jane Riz
Mrs. Foley
The 2nd book in the series of murder thrillers that inspired the "Rizzoli and Isles" TV series. Also a good read. Continues the story of "The Surgeon" from the 1st book. I remember the episodes on TV that were from these books. Now I kinda want to go back to see what changes the TV show made (besides the obvious fact that Angie Harmon cannot be "plain-looking!").

Review from Booklist:
Gerritsen's fans--and they are many--will be clamoring for this sequel to her most recent book, the best-selling
Lauren
The Apprentice
5 Stars

Synopsis:
It is another hot summer in Boston, and a sadistic serial killer is on the loose again. Detective Jane Rizzoli is drawn into the case as the murders are reminiscent of Warren Hoyt’s rampage, and she forced not only to deal with a secretive FBI Agent but must also confront her worst fears when Hoyt escapes custody and joins forces with the city’s newest monster.

Review:
An excellent sequel.

The plot is well-written, fast-paced and suspenseful. However, there are several
Jerry
Gory sequel to "Surgeon", be prepared for blood and guts...

While we usually hear this author's name mentioned alongside Robin Cook and Michael Palmer, we find this third (of her six) we've read so far to be more a typical, hard-core police procedural, focused far more on the psyche and activities of the book's brutal serial killers and their cop chasers than on medical speculation or intrigue. John Sandford's "...Prey" series jumps right to mind as a comparison -- and indeed, the plot and actio
Ana Evelia
First of all, I've decided to write a review for The Apprentice after re-reading the majority of the Rizzoli & Isles series by Ms. Gerritsen. I can't say that I didn't enjoy the book, since it is my second time reading the book, I knew to expect gruesome details, a lot of law enforcement jargon -- and I wasn't disappointed. But I was disappointed with the fact that this time around I realized that I had a problem with the way Ms. Gerritsen portrays Jane as if she were ashamed of being a woma ...more
Duesterwald-Online
Inhalt:
Wieder herrscht in Boston ein heißer, unerträglicher Sommer. In dieser Zeit findet eine grausame Serie von Verbrechen statt, in denen Männer gezwungen werden zuzuschauen, wie ihre Frauen brutal vergewaltigt werden - Für beide endet dieses grausame Szenario immer im Tod.
Das Muster dieser Verbrechen erinnert an einen bereits bekannten Täter: Warren Hoyt.
Doch dieser sollte eigentlich im Gefängnis sitzen.

So bleibt also nur ein Nachahmer in Frage - Jedenfalls denken das Detective Jane Rizzol
Marianne
The Apprentice is the second novel in Tess Gerritsen’s Jane Rizzoli/Maura Iles series, and the first book in which Maura Iles makes her appearance. About a year after Rizzoli solved “The Surgeon” case and sent Warren Hoyt to jail, another hot Boston summer sees another serial killer on the loose. This killer is mimicking many of The Surgeon’s actions, but with some differences. As Warren Hoyt is safely locked up, is this a copycat? As well as dealing the with the psychological scarring the Surge ...more
The Women's Myste...: The Apprentice (#2) 7 24 Apr 04, 2013 07:56AM
  • Kisscut (Grant County, #2)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • Monday Mourning (Temperance Brennan, #7)
  • The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
  • Der Augenjäger
  • Flesh and Bone (Body Farm #2)
  • Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)
  • Written in Bone (David Hunter, #2)
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend #2)
  • Dead Run (Monkeewrench #3)
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic thriller
More about Tess Gerritsen...

Rizzoli & Isles (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
  • The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles, #9)
  • Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)
  • Die Again (Rizzoli & Isles, #11)
The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1) Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5) Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4) The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3) Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)

“Some people make choices hoping for the best; Korsak had made a choice simply to avoid the worst.” 6 likes
“Society thinks of violent acts as manifestations of evil or immorality. We're told we have ultimate control over our own behavior, that each and every one of us has the free will to choose not to hurt another human being. But it's not just morality that guides us. Biology does as well. Our frontal lobs helps us integrate thoughts and actions. They help us weight the consequences of those actions. Without such control, we'd give in to every wild impulse.” 3 likes