Start by marking “Dragon of the Lost Sea” as Want to Read:
Dragon of the Lost Sea

Dragon of the Lost Sea (Dragon #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  797 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Shimmer, a renegade dragon princess, tries to redeem herself by capturing a witch with the help of a human boy.
Published June 30th 1988 by Turtleback Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon of the Lost Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon of the Lost Sea

Margaret
On a quest to recover the magical gem that contains her lost ocean home, the dragon princess Shimmer encounters a boy, Thorn. When he saves Shimmer's life in a fight, she rather reluctantly decides that he may accompany her as they pursue her enemy Civet. Though Shimmer doesn't originally feel that Thorn is her equal, because he's so much less powerful than she, she finds that they may have more in common than she thinks and that they can work together to achieve her quest.

The characterization i
Tom
Jan 25, 2015 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was great. It was a good story of friendship and courage. I especially liked the action in the book becuase it was very exxciting. Whats more, I liked how the young boy prooved himssel worthy to the mighty dragon. I also liked the description in the book.
Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone.
June
Oct 28, 2009 June rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy readers
Recommended to June by: Lisa
Shelves: fantasy, magic
I found this a really quick read; less than 24 hours. I found the 2 main characters engaging: the proud dragon princess who has lost her ability to trust, and the brave, loyal, demanding boy. I am ordering the second. I think I might have read this 25 years ago, but it was really fun to read again.
Jessica McFarland
This quick young adult fiction follows a young orphan named Thorn, and an opinionated dragon named Shimmer who plan to recover a stolen pebble containing a lost sea – Shimmer’s home. While in most fantasy stories dragons and other mystical beasts are portrayed as all-knowing, here it is not Thorn who will learn lessons, but Shimmer.

Yep draws on his knowledge of Chinese myth and legend to make a unique fairy tale that is at once familiar and wholly his own. With snappy dialogue and enjoyable cha
Eskana
Feb 21, 2015 Eskana rated it really liked it
I believe this was my very first favorite book that I found all on my own (i.e. not because I was assigned it in school or one of my siblings or friends got me to read it.) I remember really loving this book so much, but it had been so long since I'd read it, that I knew I had to try it again to see if it was still worth the read.

And it held up! Blending Chinese mythology and a good old fashioned adventure story, Yep does wonderfully in this tale of Shimmer, the dragon princess out for revenge o
Awards and Recognitions: ALA Notable Children’s Book - 1983

Drawing it’s inspiration from Chinese mythology, this is the story of an exiled dragon princess named Shimmer. Shimmer’s homeland, the Inland Sea, has dried up because a river spirit named Civet contained it in a magical blue pebble. Shimmer is certain if she can find Civet and get back the pebble that she can restore her homeland and be forgiven. While in human form as an old woman, she encounters a human boy, Thorn, and he joins her on
Jay Patterson
Dragon of the Lost Sea by: Laurence Yep. I liked the book because it has a mystery and Shimmer was trying to find the magic pebble containing something that was stolen at sea. Shimmer and Civet were the main character’s in the book. I would recommend this book to kids the like mystery books. This book was by far the best mystery book that I have ever read. If you read the whole book, the book is going to have you wanting to read the book all over again.
Jane
Mar 22, 2009 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jane by: Re-focus & various
The troubles with reading novels based on Asian mythology is lining up mythical creatures and figures with their English names and sometimes the different depictions/forms these mythical creatures may take in Eastern and Western cultures.

I was also a bit thrown by the descriptions that the people in this universe commonly have brown hairs and blue eyes. Blue eyes, really?

Aside from that quibble, I thought Dragon of the Lost Sea was a heartwarming tale about an unlikely friendship between a wande
Ithlilian
Jan 11, 2011 Ithlilian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
The dragon character in this book was one of the most unlikable characters I've ever had the misfortune of reading. She is rude, thinks she knows more than anyone else, and is extremely childish. Yet, sometimes she likes humans and is surprised to find a nice one. Her mood swings from thankful to agitated in one paragraph. The boy is not much better. He is good to a fault, and is not bothered by anyone or anything. He takes his beatings in stride and doesn't seem to mind getting rocks thrown at ...more
Zen Cho
I thought this was all right. I probably would have loved it as a kid, but I think it's written pretty young. I liked the Chinese feel of the story, but I couldn't really get into it. The characters and plot both seemed a bit predictable, and while I like predictable sometimes, there wasn't anything else to get into -- the writing style is extremely simple and the humour is a bit perfunctory. Again, this is probably 'cos it is for a fairly young audience.

As a kid I adored another book of Laurenc
Lisa Geddes
Nov 11, 2015 Lisa Geddes rated it liked it
I read this a very long time ago..i think i was about 10 or 12. it was good, but the next book i picked up after it was Dealing With Dragons...and ive been a bookwyrm ever since.
Alex
Jul 27, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this series a bunch of times as a kid and I see rereading the first of them now why that is. :D
Jessica
Aug 05, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i need to reread this series -- i mean, i did last year, but this needs to happen again
LeAnne
Feb 16, 2016 LeAnne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
Yep bring Chinese folklore to life. He occasionally slips into the boy's POV.
tinabot
Apr 14, 2010 tinabot rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book from childhood. Yeah, Narnia was cool and Ramona was kinda boring and Witches freaked me out, but this book totally stood out from the crowd. First of all, the cover was beautiful. Second, it was the only fictional book in English that incorporated Asian fantasy and mythology in an American style writing. This book is a huge inspiration for my own original novel, although I think mine is more intense with some critical and social issues. I still like reading this one.
Heather
I find myself sometimes wandering through the "teen" section at the library - because I'm less likely to pick up a book that should be rated R or even NC-17 (I do wish sometimes they had a rating for books, or do they and I just don't know about it.) Anyway, I found this in my last wanderings - and quite liked it. It was a quick read, and since I picked up the second in the series while I was at it, I've already started on that one.
Michelle
Jul 21, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a book that I search for every couple of years. I read it once in elementary school, then it vanished from the library. Since then, I have often been able to find the title but not the book itself. I remember it being a very good story about dragons and journeys to the ends of the earth. There was a good tale of friendship and learning to trust as well. I want to read this book again to fill in the forgotten parts. ^_^
Dramane
This book is about a kid who goes and tries to find some magicl pebble and he is riding with a dragon that is helping him look for it. They chose him because he is a orphan kid and but the dragon says that he is wortless but not when he relly needed him he wasn't. I would give this book a 5star because it was very fantastic and I like fantasy books and they really amuse me and I like that book a lot.
Amber
Apr 19, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I dont remember the specifics but I recall spending the whole day in my room reading this when I was in the 4th grade. I was not to be disturbed until I was finished. It was the first book I ever had the pleasure in reading in a day and I will forever be thankful that it opened a world of reading for me. I still have all the books to that series. Great memories:)
Charles
Jun 08, 2015 Charles rated it it was ok
Shelves: dissappointment
This one did nothing for me. It is pretty rich with Japanese folklore, but there was no meat to the story. It was just a mess of Dialog, movement, background, Dialog, Movement, Background - lather rinse repeat.

I did not care about the plight of the dragon nor the boy and his actions. this was just a poor read for me.
Jenny
Feb 11, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Told from the point of view of the dragon. She is a proud, independent dragon who has been ostracized by the other dragons of her clan and she has set out to defeat Civet, who has stolen her clan's sea. She makes a good and loyal friend (who, suprising to her, is human). Fun adventure story for kids age 9-12.
Sara
Feb 08, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING I loved how it was a really interesting read but still made sense to a middle school girl. I loved the plot and I really enjoyed the chinese stories and folklore that was placed within the plot and almost between the lines in the story. It was a beautiful, fun and interesting.
Kailey
Oct 14, 2014 Kailey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great fairytale about a dragon and a boy who must learn to trust one another in their quest to restore a stolen sea. I love the snappy dialogue, the adventurous plot, and the depth of the characters! Great writing and a fun story!
Lisa
Sep 26, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book - better than I thought it was going to be. A delightful introduction to Shimmer and Thorn, and the beginnings of their adventures to bring healing to Shimmer's community and Thorn's life.
Akaki
May 17, 2013 Akaki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This amazing princess dragon named Shimmer wants her home aka lost sea back. But when she finds a human name-d Thorn, things begin to change. Read dragon of the lost sea to find out what happens next.
Skedatt
The unlikely friendship amused me. A rather prickly dragon and an orpan boy that find out that they are more equal than they thought.

Also, the appearance by Monkey was spot on.

Kerry (The Roaming Librarian)
It's an interesting story, but I wasn't that in love with it. For me, it was just okay. I liked the two main characters well enough, but I didn't find anything special about it.
Angie
Dec 16, 2015 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Favorite book series of all time. I remember in 5th grade being asked what item I would want if I was stranded on an island. I chose this book series, of course.
Qilune
Apr 07, 2012 Qilune rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I haven't read this series since I was a kid. I barely remember it, but what i do remember, I loved. It inspired kid-me to try my hand at some fanfiction, my first. :)
Cady
Aug 08, 2012 Cady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a series I grew up with, and I credit it with developing my love for literature... as well as my tendency to purchase books based on their cover art.
What's The Name o...: Young boy, dragon, Asian [s] 3 17 May 26, 2014 08:06PM
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Book about Woman who is a Dragon [s] 9 69 Mar 15, 2014 07:49PM
  • A Sending of Dragons
  • Fluff Dragon
  • The Dragonslayers
  • The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)
  • Harvey Ángel
  • Ivy's Ever After
  • Tree Girl
  • A Walk in Wolf Wood
  • Sign of the Dove (The Dragon Chronicles, Book 3)
  • The Dragonbards (Dragonbards, #3)
  • Dragon's Egg
  • The Twin in the Tavern
  • Dragon and Thief (Dragonback, #1)
  • Sender Unknown
  • William S. and the Great Escape
Born June 14, 1948 in San Francisco, California, Yep was the son of Thomas Gim Yep and Franche Lee Yep. Franche Lee, her family's youngest child, was born in Ohio and raised in West Virginia where her family owned a Chinese laundry. Yep's father, Thomas, was born in China and came to America at the age of ten where he lived, not in Chinatown, but with an Irish friend in a white neighborhood. After ...more
More about Laurence Yep...

Dragon (4 books)