Start by marking “Dragon of the Lost Sea” as Want to Read:
Dragon of the Lost Sea

Dragon of the Lost Sea (Dragon #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  683 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Centuries of wandering have taught the exiled dragon princess Shimmer that humans are beneath her notice. But she allows young Thorn to join her in the search for the evil witch Civet--and the quest to restore her dragon clan's lost home. By the Newbery Honor-winning author of Dragonwings.
Published June 30th 1988 by Turtleback Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon of the Lost Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon of the Lost Sea

Margaret
On a quest to recover the magical gem that contains her lost ocean home, the dragon princess Shimmer encounters a boy, Thorn. When he saves Shimmer's life in a fight, she rather reluctantly decides that he may accompany her as they pursue her enemy Civet. Though Shimmer doesn't originally feel that Thorn is her equal, because he's so much less powerful than she, she finds that they may have more in common than she thinks and that they can work together to achieve her quest.

The characterization i
Tom
I thought this book was great. It was a good story of friendship and courage. I especially liked the action in the book becuase it was very exxciting. Whats more, I liked how the young boy prooved himssel worthy to the mighty dragon. I also liked the description in the book.
Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone.
June
Oct 28, 2009 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy readers
Recommended to June by: Lisa
Shelves: fantasy, magic
I found this a really quick read; less than 24 hours. I found the 2 main characters engaging: the proud dragon princess who has lost her ability to trust, and the brave, loyal, demanding boy. I am ordering the second. I think I might have read this 25 years ago, but it was really fun to read again.
Eskana
I believe this was my very first favorite book that I found all on my own (i.e. not because I was assigned it in school or one of my siblings or friends got me to read it.) I remember really loving this book so much, but it had been so long since I'd read it, that I knew I had to try it again to see if it was still worth the read.

And it held up! Blending Chinese mythology and a good old fashioned adventure story, Yep does wonderfully in this tale of Shimmer, the dragon princess out for revenge o
Awards and Recognitions: ALA Notable Children’s Book - 1983

Drawing it’s inspiration from Chinese mythology, this is the story of an exiled dragon princess named Shimmer. Shimmer’s homeland, the Inland Sea, has dried up because a river spirit named Civet contained it in a magical blue pebble. Shimmer is certain if she can find Civet and get back the pebble that she can restore her homeland and be forgiven. While in human form as an old woman, she encounters a human boy, Thorn, and he joins her on
Jane
The troubles with reading novels based on Asian mythology is lining up mythical creatures and figures with their English names and sometimes the different depictions/forms these mythical creatures may take in Eastern and Western cultures.

I was also a bit thrown by the descriptions that the people in this universe commonly have brown hairs and blue eyes. Blue eyes, really?

Aside from that quibble, I thought Dragon of the Lost Sea was a heartwarming tale about an unlikely friendship between a wande
Ithlilian
The dragon character in this book was one of the most unlikable characters I've ever had the misfortune of reading. She is rude, thinks she knows more than anyone else, and is extremely childish. Yet, sometimes she likes humans and is surprised to find a nice one. Her mood swings from thankful to agitated in one paragraph. The boy is not much better. He is good to a fault, and is not bothered by anyone or anything. He takes his beatings in stride and doesn't seem to mind getting rocks thrown at ...more
Zen Cho
I thought this was all right. I probably would have loved it as a kid, but I think it's written pretty young. I liked the Chinese feel of the story, but I couldn't really get into it. The characters and plot both seemed a bit predictable, and while I like predictable sometimes, there wasn't anything else to get into -- the writing style is extremely simple and the humour is a bit perfunctory. Again, this is probably 'cos it is for a fairly young audience.

As a kid I adored another book of Laurenc
Jessica
i need to reread this series -- i mean, i did last year, but this needs to happen again
tinabot
This is my favorite book from childhood. Yeah, Narnia was cool and Ramona was kinda boring and Witches freaked me out, but this book totally stood out from the crowd. First of all, the cover was beautiful. Second, it was the only fictional book in English that incorporated Asian fantasy and mythology in an American style writing. This book is a huge inspiration for my own original novel, although I think mine is more intense with some critical and social issues. I still like reading this one.
Heather
I find myself sometimes wandering through the "teen" section at the library - because I'm less likely to pick up a book that should be rated R or even NC-17 (I do wish sometimes they had a rating for books, or do they and I just don't know about it.) Anyway, I found this in my last wanderings - and quite liked it. It was a quick read, and since I picked up the second in the series while I was at it, I've already started on that one.
Michelle
This is a book that I search for every couple of years. I read it once in elementary school, then it vanished from the library. Since then, I have often been able to find the title but not the book itself. I remember it being a very good story about dragons and journeys to the ends of the earth. There was a good tale of friendship and learning to trust as well. I want to read this book again to fill in the forgotten parts. ^_^
Dramane
This book is about a kid who goes and tries to find some magicl pebble and he is riding with a dragon that is helping him look for it. They chose him because he is a orphan kid and but the dragon says that he is wortless but not when he relly needed him he wasn't. I would give this book a 5star because it was very fantastic and I like fantasy books and they really amuse me and I like that book a lot.
Amber
I dont remember the specifics but I recall spending the whole day in my room reading this when I was in the 4th grade. I was not to be disturbed until I was finished. It was the first book I ever had the pleasure in reading in a day and I will forever be thankful that it opened a world of reading for me. I still have all the books to that series. Great memories:)
Charles
This one did nothing for me. It is pretty rich with Japanese folklore, but there was no meat to the story. It was just a mess of Dialog, movement, background, Dialog, Movement, Background - lather rinse repeat.

I did not care about the plight of the dragon nor the boy and his actions. this was just a poor read for me.
Jenny
Told from the point of view of the dragon. She is a proud, independent dragon who has been ostracized by the other dragons of her clan and she has set out to defeat Civet, who has stolen her clan's sea. She makes a good and loyal friend (who, suprising to her, is human). Fun adventure story for kids age 9-12.
Sara
AMAZING I loved how it was a really interesting read but still made sense to a middle school girl. I loved the plot and I really enjoyed the chinese stories and folklore that was placed within the plot and almost between the lines in the story. It was a beautiful, fun and interesting.
Kailey
A great fairytale about a dragon and a boy who must learn to trust one another in their quest to restore a stolen sea. I love the snappy dialogue, the adventurous plot, and the depth of the characters! Great writing and a fun story!
Lisa
This was a great book - better than I thought it was going to be. A delightful introduction to Shimmer and Thorn, and the beginnings of their adventures to bring healing to Shimmer's community and Thorn's life.
Akaki
This amazing princess dragon named Shimmer wants her home aka lost sea back. But when she finds a human name-d Thorn, things begin to change. Read dragon of the lost sea to find out what happens next.
Skedatt
The unlikely friendship amused me. A rather prickly dragon and an orpan boy that find out that they are more equal than they thought.

Also, the appearance by Monkey was spot on.

Kerry (The Roaming Librarian)
It's an interesting story, but I wasn't that in love with it. For me, it was just okay. I liked the two main characters well enough, but I didn't find anything special about it.
Angie
Favorite book series of all time. I remember in 5th grade being asked what item I would want if I was stranded on an island. I chose this book series, of course.
Qilune
I haven't read this series since I was a kid. I barely remember it, but what i do remember, I loved. It inspired kid-me to try my hand at some fanfiction, my first. :)
Cady
This was a series I grew up with, and I credit it with developing my love for literature... as well as my tendency to purchase books based on their cover art.
Natalie
Very cute little book with a very decent plot. Not very complicate but a good choice if you want to painlessly pass an hour or so.
Omer
i liked it was a really interesting to read but still made sense. I I really enjoyed the storie . It was fun and interesting.
Blue Caeruleus
I read this many years ago and it remains one of my favorite books from my early adolescence.
Sylvia
Nice dragon befriends bedraggled boy, together they regain lost sea kept by evil sorceress.
Christopher
One of my favorites from childhood and rereading it today it's just as good and purely written.
What's The Name o...: Young boy, dragon, Asian [s] 3 17 May 26, 2014 08:06PM
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Book about Woman who is a Dragon [s] 9 68 Mar 15, 2014 07:49PM
  • Dragon's Heart
  • Jennifer Murdley's Toad (Magic Shop, #3)
  • Sign of the Dove (The Dragon Chronicles, Book 3)
  • A Walk in Wolf Wood
  • Dragon's Egg
  • The Dragon of Lonely Island
  • Dragon and Thief (Dragonback, #1)
  • The Outskirter's Secret (The Steerswoman, #2)
  • Tree Girl
  • The Cat Who Wished to Be a Man
  • The Adventures of Mr. Toad: From The Wind in the Willows
  • Ivy's Ever After
  • Prairie Fire (The Story of Owen #2)
  • The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood
  • Nightpool (Dragonbards #1)
  • Sender Unknown
  • Carlotta's Kittens (Cat Pack #3)
Born June 14, 1948 in San Francisco, California, Yep was the son of Thomas Gim Yep and Franche Lee Yep. Franche Lee, her family's youngest child, was born in Ohio and raised in West Virginia where her family owned a Chinese laundry. Yep's father, Thomas, was born in China and came to America at the age of ten where he lived, not in Chinatown, but with an Irish friend in a white neighborhood. After ...more
More about Laurence Yep...

Dragon (4 books)
  • Dragon Steel
  • Dragon Cauldron
  • Dragon War
Lady of Ch'iao Kuo: Red Bird of the South, Southern China, A.D. 531 (Royal Diaries #8) Dragonwings (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #5) Dragon's Gate (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #3) Spring Pearl: The Last Flower (Girls of Many Lands, China) Mia