Start by marking “Life and Def Life and Def Life and Def” as Want to Read:
Life and Def Life and Def Life and Def

Life and Def Life and Def Life and Def

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  274 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Russell Simmons, the original and eternal hip-hop mogul, is one of the most innovative and influential figures in modern American business and culture. When no one outside of inner-city New York had even heard of hip-hop, Simmons saw the seeds of a global force that would change the way people talk, dress, listen to music, and choose the heroes they hang on their walls. To ...more
Published December 18th 2001 by Crown Publishing Group (NY) (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Life and Def Life and Def Life and Def, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life and Def Life and Def Life and Def

Adrienna
Oct 14, 2009 Adrienna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed-book
The title speaks for itself. In the late sixties and seventies, he speaks about drugs and money--how he sold artificial drugs as a youth and later when gangs formulated in Queens, Harlem, and surrounding cities. He later realized that he came from a decent neighborhood and good-home training, why was he in the street selling fake drugs (cocoa leaf as if it was cocaine) and hanging out with gangs (for those who came from broken homes)--so he got out before death came knocking at his door.

He went
Phino Deleon
May 28, 2015 Phino Deleon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story of the co-founder of one of the best record labels in Rap music history. Gives the reader a glimpse into the man behind the multiple business ventures that directly or indirectly influenced the music industry when it was time for a change.

Matt Tielbur
Oct 13, 2015 Matt Tielbur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book inspired me. They way Russell tells the story of how he started to wear he ended up is shocking. Growing up in Brooklyn in that part of town could be scary, from selling fake cocaine to being in a gang, Russell shows how never giving up on your dream can get you to where you wanna go. I love how he talks about meeting some of the famous artists nowadays just by doing his job. Being a show promoter and starting my own clothing line sounds pretty awesome. Like I said, his story inspired ...more
Kalle Wescott
Mar 02, 2016 Kalle Wescott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2 star writing but 5 stars for the true story.
Jason
Dec 05, 2015 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great
Corina
Jun 24, 2009 Corina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ehhh...it was aiiight....not much detail about his personal story, but more an overview of his business ventures and little tidbits of advice. I was expecting a lot more, but it's worth reading for anyone interested in hip hop culture, or the music business. I hope someday he writes a real autobiography, and maybe uses a decent co writer!
Kelvin Singleton
Dec 17, 2012 Kelvin Singleton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Russel Simmons' work in Sex, Drugs, Money, + God was a compelling depiction of the pitfalls of wanting, striving to achieve at any cost, and having success, Without and with God's blessing. It reminds me of my own life; where I've been; what I was willing to do;what I'm capable of; and where it ultimately led and now leads me. Inspiring.
Emmanuel
May 30, 2010 Emmanuel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 9th-grade
This book, written by Russell Simmons is just talking about what goes around in his area, with rappers, and such, involving what the title states "Sex, drugs, money + God". In my opinion I didn't really enjoy the book that much, was sort of boring.
Tony Smith
Sep 17, 2010 Tony Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Russell is a force, he has opened my eyes to business.

Not just the music, but the business of life and the life of business,I love it all.

Visionary, this needs to be in all of our homes.
bARRY
Sep 17, 2007 bARRY rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the biggest themes in this book are cocaine, cellphones & yoga. things that are really annoying when other people do/use them...but you're okay when you do/use them.
SeanTheRobot
Oct 16, 2012 SeanTheRobot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book not just about Russell but also about the early beginnings of hip hop and how he helped to shape it.-
Joe
Jan 21, 2013 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Interesting insights into the early days of Hip Hop and a good documentation of Def Jams history.
Jarod McGee
Jul 13, 2010 Jarod McGee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very powerful message highly recommended
Dave
Aug 13, 2007 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hip hop heads
Shelves: memoirbiography
life is luck and work
Marcus
Feb 02, 2008 Marcus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
What a story!!!
MJ Schwartz
MJ Schwartz marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Brian Leach
Brian Leach rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Olayinka Shonowo
Olayinka Shonowo marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Justin Stanford
Justin Stanford marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Veronica Chapman
Veronica Chapman marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Jewlz Tagara
Jewlz Tagara marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Angela Nelson howard
Angela Nelson howard marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
May 29, 2016
Spragga
Spragga marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Chris
Chris added it
May 24, 2016
Craig Spraggon
Craig Spraggon marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Mason
Mason marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
  • Q: The Autobiography of Quincy Jones
  • Hip Hop America
  • The Last Party: Studio 54, Disco, and the Culture of the Night
  • Unbelievable: The Life, Death, and Afterlife of the Notorious B.I.G.
  • E.A.R.L.: The Autobiography of DMX
  • On Her Own Ground: The Life and Times of Madam C.J. Walker
  • One Day It'll All Make Sense
  • Bird Lives!: The High Life & Hard Times of Charlie (Yardbird) Parker
  • And It Don't Stop: The Best American Hip-Hop Journalism of the Last 25 Years
  • There's A Riot Going On: Revolutionaries, Rock Stars, and the Rise and Fall of '60s Counter-Culture
  • Pryor Convictions: and Other Life Sentences
  • Barefoot in Babylon: The Creation of the Woodstock Music Festival, 1969
  • Crazy from the Heat
  • Beyond Glory: Joe Louis vs. Max Schmeling, and a World on the Brink
Russell Simmons is an American entrepreneur and record producer. Simmons was the former owner of the pioneering hip-hop label Def Jam, a founder of Russell Simmons Music Group, and the creator of the clothing fashion line Phat Farm and the fragrance label Atman.

Russell Simmons is the fourth richest hip hop entrepreneur, having a net-worth estimate of $340 million, behind Jay-Z ($547M), 50 Cent ($4
More about Russell Simmons...