Start by marking “Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market” as Want to Read:
Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market

Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market

Seasonal Fruit Desserts From Orchard. Ten Speed Press, 2010.
Published April 6th 2010 by Ten Speed Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Seasonal Fruit Desserts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seasonal Fruit Desserts

Stacy
Oct 24, 2011 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Th famous chef Madison (widely known for her vegetarian dishes and her stint at Greens restaurant) has a lovely book on seasonal fruit. My favorite thing about this cookbook is its utmost respect for quality ingredients. She begins with basics, in how to find and select the best quality fruit, especially local varieties unique to your region. This is the basis of quality fruit desserts, and when you get that element down, even a bowl or platter of perfectly ripe fruit can holds its own as a dess ...more
Jennifer Schooley
Sep 01, 2012 Jennifer Schooley rated it liked it
I want to like this cookbook, and I do like the premise of making recipes with seasonal fruits. Having said that, the organization of the book is ridiculous. Recipes are not divided into seasons or types of fruit, which really defeats the entire purpose of the book. On the plus side, the photos are gorgeous. Recipes are a mixed bag.
Judy
Jul 16, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-cookbooks
Deborah Madison is the founder of "Greens," a revered vegetarian restaurant in California. Now she has a fruit cookbook!

I have only tried one recipe so far - the blueberry and peach cobbler, which was good, but not amazing. I really like the variety of chapter topics, including: Fresh Fruit, Fresh Fruit in Syrup, Roasted and Sauteed Fruits, Classic You Can Count On, Dried Fruits, Nuts, and Preserves, Puddings and Gelees, Cheese and Dairy Desserts, and more. I also really like her flexibility - s
Liz De Coster
Jun 18, 2010 Liz De Coster rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Another excellent book from Deborah Madison. What I love about Madison's books is the flexibility mixed into almost every recipe - if you don't have X, substitute Y or Z. Given her focus on fresh, seasonal ingredients, this is helpful to those of us who don't live in California and deal with limited availability for some fruits and veg. I also liked the range of recipes, from simple fruit salads and puddings to relatively complex tarts, even ice creams (for those lucky enough to have access to a ...more
Corinne
Feb 22, 2013 Corinne rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
She obviously is an expert with a wealth of skill and knowledge.

The book is too advanced for me but I will try a few things and maybe come back to the book when I have more experience.

She has a nice intro that includes hints i.e. what to do to keep pie crust from getting soaked from berry juice. A section on different ingredients. I learned alot about sugars from this section.

Random recipe example:
White Peaches in Lemon Verbena and Lavender Syrup
A Yeasted Pear Upside Down Cake (will try this on
Cherie
Apr 18, 2013 Cherie rated it liked it
A- Really nice book. I was looking for some good fruit cookbooks for my CSA and I browsed this one. (Ultimately I think I'll probably eat most of my fruit plain, which is healthier, and easier, but there are some wonderful recipes.) Nice categories though certain ones (like fruit in syrups) I don't think I'd use that often.
Kym
Dec 19, 2015 Kym rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Deborah Madison does it again with a cookbook filled with whole food desserts. These recipes focus on the fresh fruits of the season. They are served simply and wonderfully. This is a great book to turn to for a dessert that elevates fruit but still feels special.
Donna Jo Atwood
Jul 12, 2010 Donna Jo Atwood rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookery
Yummy recipes using fresh fruit. The author is pushing local food and since she is from California some of her choices are not local here. Still, if you have a sweet tooth for after dinner munching, these are pretty good.
Ashley
Nov 12, 2010 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist, food
Genius fruit desserts. Simple, novel, successful. Lots of compotes, and a collection of five different cakes with which to serve fresh or stewed fruit. Another one of those books I've coveted and thus kept too long from the library. A keeper for my kitchen!
Deb
May 14, 2010 Deb rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Another great cookbook from Deborah Madison--beautifully photographed and well-written book full of all kinds of fruit and fruit-friendly recipes.
Read my full review here:
Rachel
Jul 11, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
A little pretentious, but very interesting recipes with fantastic photos. Can't wait to try some of the recipes out!
Lauren
Sep 29, 2010 Lauren added it
Shelves: books-forcooks
A library copy that I am drooling over. Not cooked from yet but there's a winter squash cake and a souffled breakfast pancake iwth aged cheddar and apples that I have my eye on.
Amy
Apr 28, 2010 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, food
Lots of great ideas with easy to follow directions and many great pictures.

Lots of these great desserts include alcohol or are accompanied by liqueur.
Po
Jul 23, 2013 Po rated it it was amazing
This book is worth reading for the intros to each fruit alone. Of course I've always been partial to fruit desserts so a book that focuses mostly on the fruit and less on baking is my ideal.
Beka
Jul 27, 2014 Beka rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Most of these were just variations on a theme (fruit in syrup, fruit with cheese, etc.), so not my favorite book.
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2012
Jennifer S. Rubin
Jennifer S. Rubin rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Brittany Farrell
Brittany Farrell rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2014
Susan Gumlock
Susan Gumlock rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Sharp Pini
Sharp Pini rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2012
lisa
Mar 08, 2014 lisa rated it liked it
Olive oil orange chiffon cake
AZADEH
AZADEH rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Casey D
Casey D rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
PorshaJo
PorshaJo rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2013
Kikiok
Kikiok rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2011
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2013
Teresa
Teresa rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • The Mozza Cookbook: Recipes from Los Angeles's Favorite Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • Fat Witch Brownies: Brownies, Blondies, and Bars from New York's Legendary Fat Witch Bakery
  • Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home: 52 Quick Meals to Cook for Family and Friends
  • Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes
  • My Pizza: The Easy No-Knead Way to Make Spectacular Pizza at Home
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • Tartine Book No. 3
  • Brassicas: Cooking the World's Healthiest Vegetables: Kale, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and More
  • Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe: Breakfast Served All Day
  • Booze Cakes: Confections Spiked with Spirits, Wine, and Beer
  • Home Baking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • A Beautiful Bowl of Soup: The Best Vegetarian Recipes
  • Chez Panisse Fruit
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Savory Baking: 75 Warm and Inspiring Recipes for Crisp, Savory Baking
Deborah Madison is an American chef, writer and cooking teacher. She has been called an expert on vegetarian cooking and her gourmet repertoire showcases fresh garden produce. Her work also highlights Slow Food, local foods and farmers' markets.
More about Deborah Madison...