Start by marking “Stop The Train” as Want to Read:
Stop The Train

Stop The Train (Cissy Sissney #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  205 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
It's 1893, and for Cissy and her family, a new life beckons on the prairies of Oklahoma. Along with other settlers, they travel to Florence and prepare for business alongside the Red Rock Railroad track.
Published January 1st 2001 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Stop The Train, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stop The Train

Jen
Aug 29, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! It's about a small group of people trying to start up a town on the vast emptiness of Oklahoma. They are a railroad town, but do to certain circumstances the owner of the railroad is set against them and refuses to stop the train there. The book is how they grow as a community and the many schemes they come up with to try and stop the train!
Great characters, great story.
Just a note though, being a "mormon" myself I was surprised to learn that "Herman the Mormon"
Aaron
Jul 22, 2014 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Funny and thoughtful frontier story of a struggling town trying to get the stubborn railroad company to make their town a train station. Cute. Appropriate for youths 12 and up. Maybe as young as 10 but there are some scary train moments of peril. Loved the one character, Herman the Mormon; a silly but harmless caricature of my forefathers.
Tea
Sep 26, 2015 Tea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Stop the Train’ is the sort of book that parents wish their children want to read. It is well written and full of the worthy sentiments of community spirit and respecting diversity. Unfortunately it is not exactly the white knuckle ride the title suggests, but more of a leisurely stroll around the neighbourhood of Florence making the acquaintance of the myriad characters who have pinned their hopes of a better life on the plot of land they claim as their own. After refusing to sell up to the lo ...more
Miss Amanda
gr 5-8 287 pgs

1893, Florence, Oklahoma. Along with other settlers participating in the Oklahoma Land Rush, Cissy and her family take the train out to the future site of the town of Florence. Promised land and a town where the train stops, the settlers quickly claim land and begin to build the town. When the find themselves in a feud with the owner of the Red Rock Runner Railroad, they are furious to learn that the owner is refusing to have the train stop there. Without the railroad the town to b
Debbie Stahmann
I like Geraldine McCaughrean's books, but this one was just too slow for me. Although I liked the setting and time period (Oklahoma during the land rush era), it wasn't well-written enough to commit any more time to it. On to another book!
Faith
Feb 07, 2016 Faith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious account of a settlement in Oklahoma, where none of the settlers will sell land to the railroad. Consequently, the head of the railroad refuses to build a train stop there. The settlers that come are very diverse, but there are no single women. When the wife of the baker dies, he puts an ad in the paper for a new wife. Two women come in on the stagecoach at the same time, but the baker can only choose one. The "leftover" woman is offered the job of school "marm." She has a lot to teach ...more
Sara
Sure, it's called Stop the Train--- and I was compulsively invested in how, exactly, the folks of Florence, Oklahoma, would accomplish that titular task which just got devilishly harder and harder---but it was the account of the kids' "schooling" that had me in stitches and tears, and made me realize this was, after all, a tale of growing up. The level of factual exaggeration ranges from sly to outrageous---but it's always grounded in real emotion, and told in language that makes you want to re ...more
Candy Gourlay
Mar 05, 2012 Candy Gourlay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An undiscovered gem.
Lucy
Feb 04, 2016 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: child-teen
This novel may not be an obvious choice for a teenage reader, being set in the wilderness of Oklahoma during the westward migration of American settlers in the 1890s. However, McCaughrean’s humorous descriptions of her intriguing ensemble cast are immediately endearing and you quickly find yourself rooting for the families who have staked their claims and their hopes in the brand new town of Florence. The personal hardships and small triumphs of individual characters are certainly moving, but th ...more
Njalla
Voi noita rajaseutujen ihmisiä!
Vähän tuli mieleen Pieni talo preerialla, vaikka meno ja meininki oli ihan erilaista. Kaipa se on vaan se eristäytyneisyys ja Yhdysvaltojen pienet kaupunkipahaset valtavien välimatkojen päässä toisistaan.

Kirja alkaa junasta, kun vaunulastillinen ihmisiä on menossa rakentamaan pientä Firenzen kaupunkia. Kaupunkia ei edes ole vielä olemassa muualla kuin paperilla. Ja pienen Cissyn ja Cissyn isän mielikuvituksessa.

Ensin kohoaa telttakylä ja sitten pikkuhiljaa hirsital
Finlay
Dec 20, 2015 Finlay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in History and who like Historical Fiction.
After reading McCaughrean's other and in my opinion better book The Kite Rider, I was generally quite excited to read this, although it didn't live up to my expectations. The book is quite slow and I almost fell asleep reading it a few times (although maybe that's just because I read at night!). While the characters are quite well constructed, the plotlines really make them rather dull and forgettable. I would rate Stop The Train 3 stars. ...more
Melissa
Oct 19, 2010 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit-history
A railroad could make or break a new town. And a bit of pettiness quickly explodes to threaten one new town on the Oklahoma frontier.
Lots of fun characters, all in Florence for different reasons. There attempts to stop the train are both humorous and terrifying, and at times, the whole thing seems just a bit far-fetched. Plenty of good stuff to talk about, but not quite a new classic.

Supposedly based a bit on Enid, OK's history, but a quick glance reveals that any connection is loose indeed. Doe
Estibaliz79
May 25, 2012 Estibaliz79 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una de esas lecturas juveniles, aparentemente sin complicaciones, de las que disfrutará cualquier persona independientemente de su edad. Buenos personajes y buenas historias en torno a un apasionante (aunque como ya digo, sin sobresaltos ni grandes alharacas) argumento central: la lucha de un pueblo de pioneros en el Oeste Americano por figurar en los mapas, consiguiendo que el tren pare allí en su recorrido.

Como comentario, la edición es mexicana, así que al principio cuesta un poco hacerse con
Heather
This is one of those gems I only found out about because I've been trying to read the books on ALSC's Children's Notable Lists from recent years. I liked almost everything about the story, especially the over-the-top characters. I couldn't figure out Herman the Mormon, though. What was up with his aversion to money? That isn't a Mormon trait or belief - early Mormons would not have relied on bartering to get a train ticket. Oh well, though. He was a good addition, if a bit strange. Perhaps Ms. M ...more
Rachel
Jun 05, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think this was as good as the second book in this series. It didn't have as much craziness and charm. It was a neat story, though.
Virginia Brace
Jul 03, 2010 Virginia Brace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this one on CD and it was very well done with actors doing each part and appropriate music at intervals. The settlers come to the Oklahoma Territory and begin a new town at the edge of the railroad tracks. But the owner of the railroad decides not to let his trains stop there dooming the town and its citizens to poverty and failure. But they don't let that keep them down and each one becomes a better person for the difficult experience.
Sarah Sammis
It's set during the Panic of 1893 when investors temporarily stopped the building of railroads in Oklahoma, a state delayed in construction because of treaties. However the story treats the train stoppage not one of a construction halt, but of a small town trying to get the train to stop at their station. ???

I have other questions about the plot I will address when I write the full review.
Libby Ames
This is a delightful, light story with a community full of strong and loveable characters. Children would enjoy the story, but the subtle humor is perfect for adults. Her character Herman the Mormon is a bit factually inaccurate (I don't know she got the idea that it is against the Mormon religion to use currency). However, he is such a great character that I forgave Mccaughrean her mistake.
Leslie
I was surprised that this had a few curse words but it is such a cute story and the audio version is wonderful with it being produced by Full Cast Audio. I do plan on sharing it with my kids soon. The characters are full of life and fun and I loved the whole story line about this town of Florence that persevered until the end!
Camille Ricks
Apr 15, 2013 Camille Ricks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun book. It was a laugh out loud. About the frontier where people are tricked to move to a town. And then have little way to get out they work hard and use great imagination on how to get the people to stop at their town
Laurie
Sep 25, 2010 Laurie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Melissa P. was looking for turn of the century train books, and I found this through Novelist. It received three rave starred reviews, so I want to read it (had never heard of it before). Set in 1893 Oklahoma.
Ginger
Dec 30, 2011 Ginger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, mg
Geraldine McCaughrean brings to life a cast full of characters pitted against the Red Rock Rim Railroad Company, set in OKlahoma Territory in the late nineteenth century. Highly recommended.
Julie
Feb 24, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I have read since I had Baby Garner. I loved all of the characters in the book and think that it has a great message.
Lucinda
Jul 31, 2012 Lucinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorite
Each page the a page turner - excitement around each page! made me laugh out loud several times!! Now I have read it about oh... 4 times?
Dina
It was really fun to read this story based on the history of a town in Oklahoma.
Elizabeth
Stop the train! : a novel by Geraldine McCaughrean (2003)
jane
Mar 18, 2009 jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish this one.
Chance
  • Ghost Hawk
  • Touched by Fire
  • Gratefully Yours
  • The Unfortunate Son
Geraldine McCaughrean was born in 1951 and brought up in North London. She studied at Christ Church College of Education, Canterbury and worked in a London publishing house for 10 years before becoming a full-time writer in 1988. She has written over 120 books, 50 short plays for schools, and a radio play.

Her adult novels include Fires’ Astonishment (1990) and The Ideal Wife (1997), but she is bes
More about Geraldine McCaughrean...

Cissy Sissney (2 books)
  • The Glorious Adventures of the Sunshine Queen (Cissy Sissney, #2)