Start by marking “One Rainy Night” as Want to Read:
One Rainy Night

One Rainy Night

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  2,862 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
Formerly friendly neighbors turn to crazed maniacs. A stranger at a gas station shoves a nozzle down a customer's throat and pulls the trigger. A soaking-wet line of movie-goers smashes its way into a theater to slaughter the people inside. A loving wife attacks her husband, still beating his head against the floor long after he's dead. As the rain falls, blood flows in th ...more
Published February 1st 2000 by Leisure Books (first published March 7th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about One Rainy Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Rainy Night

The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram Stoker
The Definitive Horror Book List
76th out of 1,034 books — 1,422 voters
Night in the Lonesome October by Richard LaymonIsland by Richard LaymonThe Traveling Vampire Show by Richard LaymonThe Cellar by Richard LaymonEndless Night by Richard Laymon
Best Richard Laymon Books!
7th out of 39 books — 100 voters

More lists with this book...

TK421
May 05, 2011 TK421 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-thriller
I had never heard of Richard Laymon until I noticed a blurb on a Stephen King novel saying something like: Besides Laymon and Koontz, King has...blah, blah, blah. So I went to my favorite used bookstore in my hometown and decided to see for myself what this Laymon guy was up to.

And, man, the dude had written like thirty books. Vampires. Aliens. The unexplained. Etc. Etc. I chose randomly, three or four titles.

ONE RAINY NIGHT was among the fortunate to come home with me. As I began the book I t
Adam Light
This is one of my new favorite Laymon books. What an action packed, fun-filled ride through a night of terror and violence! I would shelf One Rainy Night as "Classic" Laymon. Other such titles I have thought as highly of from this amazing, but grossly underrated author are Island, Body Rides, Into The Fire, After Midnight and The Cellar. I haven't read all of his books, as I am slowly working my through them. Unfortunately, we lost Laymon in 2001, when he was felled by a massive heart attack, so ...more
Oscar
May 15, 2015 Oscar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un estudiante de secundaria negro es asesinado brutalmente en la ciudad de Bixby. La noche siguiente, una extraña lluvia negra cae sobre la ciudad. Y de repente todos se atacan. Cualquier persona tocada por ella pierde todas sus inhibiciones, y queda reducida a un estado violento, lujurioso y salvaje. Curiosamente, los afectados únicamente atacan a las personas secas. La noche no ha hecho más que comenzar.

‘Lluvia negra’ (A Rainy Night, 1991) es una novela brutal, visceral, escrita en el típico e
Janie Johnson
Jan 15, 2015 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it
Been a long time since I have read a Laymon book so this was certainly a pleasure to embark upon. As I have said before as far as Laymon's stuff goes, you either like him or you don't. I happen to like most of his stuff. He writes with a dark, dry, almost humorous at times with grotesque/horror elements thrown in.

In this book we start out with a murder of a black teen, he was burned to death. Shortly after the investigation starts, a storm comes to the town of Bixby and with comes a black rain.
Dreadlocksmile
Feb 26, 2009 Dreadlocksmile rated it it was amazing
First published back in 1990, `One Rainy Night' came at half way through Laymon's career.

Following Laymon's fast paced, action packed, blood filled formula for creating a novel that will be adored by many horror fans, `One Rainy Night' does not disappoint when it comes to an intensive splatter-punk style tale of blood lust and unrelenting violence.

With huge similarities to novels such as James Herbert's `The Fog', David Moody's `Hater' and Danny Boyle's 2002 film '28 Days Later...', `One Rainy
Hayley
Mar 05, 2008 Hayley rated it really liked it
I read this book years ago, sneaking it off my mum's book shelf so she didn't know I was reading it - I think i was about 13/14. I found it fasinating that rain could change it substance and consistence like it does in the books and how this rain changed the behaviour of the people it touched. I thought it was really good at the time and still do, the reason I gave it 4 stars is because I think that at the age of 13/14 I could actually believe something like this happening - well we already have ...more
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Andy
Apr 08, 2013 Andy rated it really liked it
One Rainy Night is probably the most brutally and consistently violent Richard Laymon title I've read to date, and if you are familiar with this author, you understand that that is really saying something. This book reads like the ultimate b-horror movie (in a good way). There are more bizarre and gruesome deaths than you can shake a (rain)stick at, as well as quite a few genuinely tense and frightening moments. Of course, Laymon's trademark lighthearted sense of humor in the face even the more ...more
Molly OBrien
Sep 17, 2009 Molly OBrien rated it it was amazing
This was the first Richard Laymon book that I picked up and it is still my favorite. I don't think that any other author is quite as disgusting as Laymon, and everyone should know how gross the books are before reading them. This book starts with the murder of a black high school student by several classmates and what follows after can only be described as total insanity. A black rain begins to fall on the town of Bixby, and anyone touched by it instantly turns into a homicidal maniac. I liked t ...more
Rodrigo Tello
May 29, 2015 Rodrigo Tello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Durísimo relato apocalíptico con zombis que no son zombis (cómo le gustan a Laymon estos detalles...) y una fiebre asesina que se propaga "como el agua" por un típico pueblo yanqui. Ya lo dice el buen y viejo refrán, "pueblo chico, infierno grande". Y qué infierno se monta este hombre, madre mía.

Situaciones descabelladas a más no poder que, si en un primer momento pueden echarte atrás, te recomiendo que sigas leyendo. Todo va cobrando un sentido aterrador y desquiciado a medida que Laymon une co
David Jordan
May 03, 2010 David Jordan rated it really liked it
The formerly alive Laymon was an over-the-top version of Stephen King, if you can imagine that. Reading his novels is very much a guilty pleasure. The books are short on characterization and occasionally logic and but long on violence, blood, sex and general depravity.
Mika Lietzén
Apr 29, 2013 Mika Lietzén rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Nipples. So many nipples. And lots of carnage. Richard Laymon is up to his usual tricks in One Rainy Night, a 1991 novel about a mysterious rain that turns ordinary folks into homicidal maniacs.

The story begins a day after a black youth is killed by a bunch of hooligans. Sadly for the mostly white town, the young man's grandpa happens to know voodoo. He literally rains down his vengeance, causing a black rain to fall on both the guilty and the innocent. Everyone caught by the downpour goes on a
Rebecca McNutt
Jan 18, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, thriller, fiction
I wasn't sure at first what to expect from this book, whether it'd be just another duty-free shop mass-market paperback, or a truly great and worthwhile book. I'm glad to say that One Rainy Night was much better than I thought and that although it has some excessive violence that really seemed unnecessary, it was a creative story and the writing had evident thought put into it.
Jason Brant
Jan 21, 2016 Jason Brant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My First Laymon Novel

Loved the pacing and idea. Super violent and packed with sex. This was a crazy read. Gotta get some more Laymon.
Trevor Firetog
Jul 09, 2012 Trevor Firetog rated it really liked it
I flat out loved this book. It was gory, sexy, dramatic, thrilling, and it even touched on some important issues such as racism. If you have a weak stomach, I would recommend you stay away from this book. But if you can handle books like this, then give it a try. It was much better than I expected, and was interesting the whole way through.

The one thing I didn't like (and this is NOT a spolier) is the ending. Not the ending of the story, but the actual last page of the book. It was terribly unsa
Jonathan
Nov 07, 2012 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
A strange rain comes down over a small town. Whoever is touched by the rain becomes a bloodthirsty maniac. Those who are indoors must band together to survive the night.

This is the setup for this Laymon's gory fest. It is one of his best.

Expect a lot of sharp weaponry, bloody deaths, sex, scares and disgusting villains (some of which do not require the rain to be evil).

For fans of Laymon this is a no-brainer. Pick it up, read it, your enjoyment is guaranteed.

Anyone who liked horror and wants a q
Joe Stamber
Jan 13, 2012 Joe Stamber rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2012
A black student is murdered by racist scumbags for daring to go out with one of their ex girlfriends. The arrival of "black rain" the very next night that turns the people it wets into crazed killers seems to be too much of a coincidence. The reader follows several groups of people as they struggle to survive the carnage. My thoughts throughout were that One Rainy Night is a run of the mill Laymon tale, nothing more, nothing less. Nothing awe inspiring, but a fast-paced, easy and enjoyable read.
Angela
Apr 22, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it
Recommended to Angela by: Chills & Spills challenge on BC
Shelves: horror
I really enjoyed this story. A fair amount of gore, but it had a story behind it. The characters were engaging, and I found myself routing for our hero/ines. To say it all works out in the end isn't quite accurate, but the ending fits the story.

The whole story truly does take place on one rainy night. And what a rain it is - let's just say it isn't a naturally occurring rain.

Connie
Jun 19, 2016 Connie rated it really liked it
Refreshing orginal and brilliant. Such a unique story. Yay!!!
Buck Weiss
May 23, 2015 Buck Weiss rated it really liked it
I finally read Richard Laymon.

Laymon is one of the authors that everyone I read talks about, but I have never read. The reigning kings of old and new horror constantly sing his praises - Authors such as Brian Keene, who talks about Laymon, his friendship, and his influence on horror in his wonderful podcast The Horror Show hold Laymon up as a godfather of modern horror. I had to read this guy.

So, I finally sat down with an old Leisure paperback of One Rainy Night, a great entry into the “town ta
Justin
Oct 21, 2014 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be clear, this book does not get four stars for being great literature. It gets four stars for being hella fun. This should really be a shitty horror movie.
Odette
Aug 14, 2016 Odette rated it really liked it
I got into Laymon when I was quite young, around 14, due to spending hours looking at my mums bookcase. This one has always stuck in my mind. The writing isn't amazing but there's something gripping about the story itself. Perhaps its because you often see firsthand how the rain can make people go 'crazy' as such.
The characters are all average, in very average situations while this strange occurrence is going on. I think that due to this, the story can be somewhat imagined.
Even now I quite ofte
David Church
Mar 20, 2014 David Church rated it really liked it
Typical Laymon fast paced, lots of action, gore, & nudity. In other words a fun read. Laymon such a guilty pleasure!
Marsten
Oct 27, 2011 Marsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror
Una buena novela gore llena de acción y de escenas explícitas y espulznantes.
Pura diversión malsana.
Nenatie
Jun 30, 2016 Nenatie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, horror
Die Rezi findet ihr hier
Katharine Francis
Dec 03, 2012 Katharine Francis rated it it was amazing
The first one I read from him and was hooked.
Diego
Oct 16, 2014 Diego rated it really liked it
Il migliore tra i tre che ho letto finora. L'innesco della trama viene spiegato a metà libro, e francamente mi è sembrata un po' pretestuosa (sembra di vedere Laymon dire: 'Be', prima o poi dovrò spiegare perché capita quello che capita... uhm... ah sì, ecco... il motivo è questo!') anche se accettabile. E' solo un po' buttato lì, con un minimo di preparazione in più avrebbe funzionato bene. Anche la soluzione della storia è un po' banalotta, ma comunque un passo avanti dai finali 'meh' di 'Gli ...more
Elusive
Dec 18, 2015 Elusive rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
In ‘One Rainy Night’, a mysterious black rain causes chaos in a small town, resulting in various horrific crimes such as murders and rapes. Anyone who comes into contact with the rain goes insane and begins wrecking havoc. In the meantime, there are some who escaped such fate and are working together to stay alive.

The background story behind the occurrence of the rain is interesting. Basically a black guy Maxwell was murdered for dating a white girl Lisa. Her ex, Buddy and his two friends ended
Dec 14, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok
Kristen
Jul 12, 2008 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
This is a surprisingly quick read for a 400 page book. I finished it in a single sitting (like many of the other reviewers on here mentioned). The entire book takes place in under 24 hours and unfortunately for the readers, after about the first 20 pages this book is VERY predictable.

Short Summary:
Last night a teen aged black boy was tortured and killed in a racially motivated hate-crime. Suddenly, 24 hours later, a black rain pours from the sky... anyone in the rain suddenly turns black and sta
  • Triage
  • Castaways
  • Slither
  • The Killing Kind
  • The Policy
  • Survivor
  • Live Girls
  • Blood Crazy
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette University, Oregon and an MA from Loyola University, Los Angeles. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen,
More about Richard Laymon...