One Rainy Night

One Rainy Night

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,900 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Formerly friendly neighbors turn to crazed maniacs. A stranger at a gas station shoves a nozzle down a customer's throat and pulls the trigger. A soaking-wet line of movie-goers smashes its way into a theater to slaughter the people inside. A loving wife attacks her husband, still beating his head against the floor long after he's dead. As the rain falls, blood flows in th...more
Published February 1st 2000 by Leisure Books (first published January 1st 1991)

TK421
I had never heard of Richard Laymon until I noticed a blurb on a Stephen King novel saying something like: Besides Laymon and Koontz, King has...blah, blah, blah. So I went to my favorite used bookstore in my hometown and decided to see for myself what this Laymon guy was up to.

And, man, the dude had written like thirty books. Vampires. Aliens. The unexplained. Etc. Etc. I chose randomly, three or four titles.

ONE RAINY NIGHT was among the fortunate to come home with me. As I began the book I t...more
Dreadlocksmile
First published back in 1990, `One Rainy Night' came at half way through Laymon's career.

Following Laymon's fast paced, action packed, blood filled formula for creating a novel that will be adored by many horror fans, `One Rainy Night' does not disappoint when it comes to an intensive splatter-punk style tale of blood lust and unrelenting violence.

With huge similarities to novels such as James Herbert's `The Fog', David Moody's `Hater' and Danny Boyle's 2002 film '28 Days Later...', `One Rainy...more
Hayley
I read this book years ago, sneaking it off my mum's book shelf so she didn't know I was reading it - I think i was about 13/14. I found it fasinating that rain could change it substance and consistence like it does in the books and how this rain changed the behaviour of the people it touched. I thought it was really good at the time and still do, the reason I gave it 4 stars is because I think that at the age of 13/14 I could actually believe something like this happening - well we already have...more
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Molly OBrien
This was the first Richard Laymon book that I picked up and it is still my favorite. I don't think that any other author is quite as disgusting as Laymon, and everyone should know how gross the books are before reading them. This book starts with the murder of a black high school student by several classmates and what follows after can only be described as total insanity. A black rain begins to fall on the town of Bixby, and anyone touched by it instantly turns into a homicidal maniac. I liked t...more
Andy
One Rainy Night is probably the most brutally and consistently violent Richard Laymon title I've read to date, and if you are familiar with this author, you understand that that is really saying something. This book reads like the ultimate b-horror movie (in a good way). There are more bizarre and gruesome deaths than you can shake a (rain)stick at, as well as quite a few genuinely tense and frightening moments. Of course, Laymon's trademark lighthearted sense of humor in the face even the more...more
David Jordan
The formerly alive Laymon was an over-the-top version of Stephen King, if you can imagine that. Reading his novels is very much a guilty pleasure. The books are short on characterization and occasionally logic and but long on violence, blood, sex and general depravity.
Trevor Firetog
I flat out loved this book. It was gory, sexy, dramatic, thrilling, and it even touched on some important issues such as racism. If you have a weak stomach, I would recommend you stay away from this book. But if you can handle books like this, then give it a try. It was much better than I expected, and was interesting the whole way through.

The one thing I didn't like (and this is NOT a spolier) is the ending. Not the ending of the story, but the actual last page of the book. It was terribly unsa...more
Jonathan
A strange rain comes down over a small town. Whoever is touched by the rain becomes a bloodthirsty maniac. Those who are indoors must band together to survive the night.

This is the setup for this Laymon's gory fest. It is one of his best.

Expect a lot of sharp weaponry, bloody deaths, sex, scares and disgusting villains (some of which do not require the rain to be evil).

For fans of Laymon this is a no-brainer. Pick it up, read it, your enjoyment is guaranteed.

Anyone who liked horror and wants a q...more
Joe Stamber
A black student is murdered by racist scumbags for daring to go out with one of their ex girlfriends. The arrival of "black rain" the very next night that turns the people it wets into crazed killers seems to be too much of a coincidence. The reader follows several groups of people as they struggle to survive the carnage. My thoughts throughout were that One Rainy Night is a run of the mill Laymon tale, nothing more, nothing less. Nothing awe inspiring, but a fast-paced, easy and enjoyable read.
Angela
Apr 22, 2010 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Angela by: Chills & Spills challenge on BC
Shelves: horror
I really enjoyed this story. A fair amount of gore, but it had a story behind it. The characters were engaging, and I found myself routing for our hero/ines. To say it all works out in the end isn't quite accurate, but the ending fits the story.

The whole story truly does take place on one rainy night. And what a rain it is - let's just say it isn't a naturally occurring rain.

David Church
Typical Laymon fast paced, lots of action, gore, & nudity. In other words a fun read. Laymon such a guilty pleasure!
Katharine Francis
The first one I read from him and was hooked.
Mika Lietzén
Nipples. So many nipples. And lots of carnage. Richard Laymon is up to his usual tricks in One Rainy Night, a 1991 novel about a mysterious rain that turns ordinary folks into homicidal maniacs.

The story begins a day after a black youth is killed by a bunch of hooligans. Sadly for the mostly white town, the young man's grandpa happens to know voodoo. He literally rains down his vengeance, causing a black rain to fall on both the guilty and the innocent. Everyone caught by the downpour goes on a...more
Kristen
This is a surprisingly quick read for a 400 page book. I finished it in a single sitting (like many of the other reviewers on here mentioned). The entire book takes place in under 24 hours and unfortunately for the readers, after about the first 20 pages this book is VERY predictable.

Short Summary:
Last night a teen aged black boy was tortured and killed in a racially motivated hate-crime. Suddenly, 24 hours later, a black rain pours from the sky... anyone in the rain suddenly turns black and sta...more
chucklesthescot
May 09, 2010 chucklesthescot rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Laymon and horror fans
Shelves: horror, fiction
A boy has been murdered and his voodoo priest grandfather decides to take revenge on the town by turning the rain into a deadly weapon. When you get wet you become a psycho with rape and/or murder on your mind and those inside houses, bars, restaurants all have to try and barricade themselves in against the rampaging lunatics who want to kill them. While most are trying to survive, a few are trying to find a way to stop the priest and restore the town to normal.
One of my favourite Laymon books...more
Carrie
This book reminds me of a very early Koontz novel - I can't remember the name of it, but it seems to me that black rain (or maybe a black blob thing) played a big part in making people go wacko. In any case, I read this on vacation, and it was a perfect Vacation Read. A mindless, fast read - in fact, I was able to read two Laymon books in 3 days. I like Laymon's voice, but just like Koontz, I am already a bit weary of his plot devices. Had I not read the two books back to back I might not have n...more
Red Heaven
This book has an absolutely fantastic premise. Black rain starts to fall on the little town of Bixby, CA and on contact with skin, it turns everyone into crazed killers.

Laymon is skilled enough to make good use of the plot, which divides into three main scenarios. As usual for him, there is much graphic violence and sexual content. He seems almost preoccupied with sexuality, and sometimes it can seem to be too much, as practically all of the main characters have at least sexual thoughts at one t...more
M. Murphy
One of Laymon's weaker novels. Rambles at times and is need of a strong edit. Choose another book. Most are better than this one.
Abbie
A very well written book with a great idea.
Jason
good solid schlock horror, just what I expected from Laymon.
Mii
This book is a great read!
Amy
A racist bully, Buddy, in a jealous rage kills a black boy, Chidi, who was dating Lisa, Buddy's former girlfriend, a white girl. Chidi's grandfather, seeking vengeance, puts a voodoo curse on the town of Bixby, causing a strange black rain to fall during the night. All those caught in it go crazy with lust for blood. The story follows various characters throughout the night as they fight to survive. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was fast-paced, suspenseful and horrific, another Laymon favor...more
Chelsie
Wow this book was crazy, and I loved it! I could not put it down. Every page was filled with action and anticipation of the next movement. I stuggled on whether to give this book four or five stars. I found the end to drag a bit. But over all I was very happy with this book. For the longest time, my favorite horror stories were written by Koontz. I can happily say, that I have found someone else as great to put in the same catagory. I can't wait to read more of his work.
Gina
Very good, gory book. Exciting from page 1.
Kirsty
Phil Zimmerman
Such promise that was ruined. Too many plots is the first problem. You have to keep up with the restaurant, the babysitting home, the high school party, and the police headquarters.

The second problem is the weak enemies. They seem nice and vicious when the rain hits them. but apparently they can still will themselves to be nice. I also found myself screaming at the book, JUST GRAB A HOSE!!!

Oh well, still fun but very frustrating.
Cath
Thank god for Richard Laymon. Not too crazy about the end, felt like it finished a bit abruptly and he could'of done so many awesome things with the grandpa scene... But still an awesome book.
Dow there is a lot of "groin" to refer to genitals... Don't know about you guys, but to me, a groin is the nose of a pig. I just think an author that goes so deep in gruesome details could'of thrown in a couple of dirty words.. My two cents ;)
Victoria
This was a fun (but rather silly) gory adventure. It was a suspenseful read and certainly grisly with its violence, but definitely entertaining. The main vein of the plot - a black rain falls from the sky, transforming those who get wet - was certainly unique, and the opening scene was downright shocking. The explanation of the rain was not the high point in the book, but it didn't detract from the fun of this horrific read.
  • Castaways (Leisure Fiction)
  • Triage
  • The Killing Kind
  • Dominion
  • Live Girls
  • Messenger
  • Blood Crazy
  • Survivor
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette, and an MA from Loyola University. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen, Alfred Hitchcock, and Cavalier,...more
More about Richard Laymon...
The Traveling Vampire Show The Cellar Island Endless Night In the Dark