Start by marking “Centsible Meals: How to Feed Your Family for Less” as Want to Read:
Centsible Meals: How to Feed Your Family for Less

Centsible Meals: How to Feed Your Family for Less

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  19 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
In today s economy, who wouldn t want to save money? In Centsible Meals: How to Feed Your Family for Less, learn how to effectively plan and simplify your food shopping and dinner preparation to save money, time, and your sanity. Feeding a large family doesn t have to be a drain on your budget. By following the straightforward and encouraging advice in this book, you can o ...more
Published December 1st 2009 by Cedar Fort (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Centsible Meals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Centsible Meals

Crystal
Aug 05, 2011 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: nutrition, motherhood
Good book. I was a little turned off when she mentioned that research shows that 2-3 meals is sufficient, because most of the world survives off of that little food. In my nutrition research it seems that research shows that smaller meals throughout the day is the ideal way to eat. Of course you can save $ on food if you only eat 2 meals per day! But, at least for my family, we would be cranky and hungry all day!

I also don't think it's a good idea to buy an old freezer, as she mentions. It seems
Camille
Mar 15, 2010 Camille rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ANYONE!
This book has helpful hints for everyone! There are lots of ways that we could cut costs that Lorae points out. Some of these ways seem like common sense, but we just don't do them. It's nice to have someone point those out to us. I use the meal planning ideas and some of the around the house cutting cost ideas. I would recommend this book to absolutely everyone! There are useful tips for everyone no matter what age or roll you play in your household. Thanks, Lorae, for some amazing information!
Nannette
Jul 11, 2012 Nannette rated it liked it
This book was a little too simplistic. Maybe I am above average in this stuff, but it was all logical stuff that I would think most people know, but are just too lazy to actually follow. There are some recipes in the back that I will try out. I don't know if I totally agree with her meal charts and having just bread for dinner, but I am not currently in a place where I need to watch every penny so i don't mind spending a little money to get quality produce and meat for my family.
Jenny
Jan 10, 2010 Jenny added it
What a great book! Yes, I am bias since Lorae is my best friend from college. We are applying what we have learned in the book and will save a significant amount of money as well as eat better. When I say better I mean most everything is from scratch and we use more whole grains, etc. Buy 100 of them! Lorae is amazing...
Debbie Barr
Jan 20, 2010 Debbie Barr rated it liked it
All in all, I think this book is great for families just beginning to get into inexpensive eating. However, I don't think it addressed all the issues (such as feeding smaller families were food is harder to stretch, and how to balance buying meat... some of us like meat) I was concerned about.
Lauri
Sep 06, 2010 Lauri rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
This has some great basics for meal-planning on a tight budget. However, a lot of the recipes did not sound that appealing to me, so I doubt I would ever make them. Would probably be a great resource for a newlywed or beginner cook.
Christina
Jul 29, 2012 Christina rated it liked it
This book contained a lot of common sense ideas, but I like that it was an easy read/reference format. Recipes in the book will come in handy.
Haley
Jun 04, 2012 Haley rated it really liked it
Short read, practical advice. I'm going to do better about making my family meals stretch farther for my money.
Heather
Jul 25, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A primer for people interested in stretching their dollar when it comes to food and groceries.
Elise
Apr 12, 2010 Elise rated it liked it
Really good advice on how to reduce your grocery budget. The recipes in the back mostly suck.
Jenica
Dec 06, 2010 Jenica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
I'm going to try it!
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Deanna
Deanna added it
Jul 29, 2013
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
Tony Bradshaw
Tony Bradshaw rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Dede
Dede rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Adrienne Lyautey
Adrienne Lyautey rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2012
Miranda
Miranda rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2012
Jared
Jared marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2011
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2011
Kunari
Kunari marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2010
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2010
Tom Ricks
Tom Ricks rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2010
Evelyn
Evelyn rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2011
Lorae Bowden is the oldest of eleven children and the mother of seven. She learned frugality and homemaking skills from her parents. She continues to use those skills and is teaching her own daughters. She believes that living simply and learning life and homemaking skills can help the environment, our economy, and the well-being of our children. Her husband even taught her additional skills when ...more
More about Lorae Bowden...